Aussies Warned About Phuket Scamsters

webfact

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The power and lure of cheap Thai sex is overwhelming. Why in the world would Australians visit the run down, rip off, and unsafe beach communities of Thailand? The beaches in Australia are beautiful and safe.Not so much cheap sex readily available but if that's why they come to Thailand's sewer, then buyer beware.

Brits at least have a cover for traveling to Thailand in that it's an escape from the weather. Why wouldn't Brits fly to Florida instead of Thailand? Unless of course they are coming for the elephants, temples, street fishballs and cheap Thai sex. Again, buyer beware.

Yeah, you have it pegged! When I read about Australians coming to Thailand "for the beaches!", I have a good laugh. I've never been to Australia but from what I've heard, the beaches are every bit as beautiful as any here in Thailand.

"Why wouldn't Brits fly to Florida instead of Thailand?" You are likely right for most, but Brits do have one excuse for not going to beaches in Florida during the winter. Contrary to many beliefs,it can and does get cold in Florida during the winter. Certainly not swimming weather! I've seen snow up in the panhandle area near Pensacola. Did not last long, but it was snow! I had a relative down from Washington State for a visit. That week the temp went down to around 25°F / -4°C and stayed there for four days!

Edited by Baloo22

The power and lure of cheap Thai sex is overwhelming. Why in the world would Australians visit the run down, rip off, and unsafe beach communities of Thailand? The beaches in Australia are beautiful and safe.Not so much cheap sex readily available but if that's why they come to Thailand's sewer, then buyer beware.

Brits at least have a cover for traveling to Thailand in that it's an escape from the weather. Why wouldn't Brits fly to Florida instead of Thailand? Unless of course they are coming for the elephants, temples, street fishballs and cheap Thai sex. Again, buyer beware.

Yeah, you have it pegged! When I read about Australians coming to Thailand "for the beaches!", I have a good laugh. I've never been to Australia but from what I've heard, the beaches are every bit as beautiful as any here in Thailand.

"Why wouldn't Brits fly to Florida instead of Thailand?" You are likely right for most, but Brits do have one excuse for not going to beaches in Florida during the winter. Contrary to many beliefs,it can and does get cold in Florida during the winter. Certainly not swimming weather! I've seen snow up in the panhandle area near Pensacola. Did not last long, but it was snow! I had a relative down from Washington State for a visit. That week the temp went down to around 25°F / -4°C and stayed there for four days!

The beaches along the west coast of Australia are great, pure white sands with crystal clear water, no need to rent a seat/spot on the sand as there are kms of vacant areas. No constant flow of various hawkers trying to sell you everything from deep fried whatever, trinkets, beers to smelly week old fishy things. The roads don't run along 5 metres from the waters edge and there is no overflowing garbage bins or the odour coming from them. Not even a building to be seen for kms.

Why do aussies go to Thailand instead of seeing thier own pristine coastline? May have something to do with cost, it is actually cheaper to fly to Thailand for a week than it is to holiday in Australia. (your own backyard) And for some Australian beaches don't have prostitutes every 2 metres.

• Like 1

The beaches along the west coast of Australia are great, pure white sands with crystal clear water, no need to rent a seat/spot on the sand as there are kms of vacant areas. No constant flow of various hawkers trying to sell you everything from deep fried whatever, trinkets, beers to smelly week old fishy things. The roads don't run along 5 metres from the waters edge and there is no overflowing garbage bins or the odour coming from them. Not even a building to be seen for kms.

Why do aussies go to Thailand instead of seeing thier own pristine coastline? May have something to do with cost, it is actually cheaper to fly to Thailand for a week than it is to holiday in Australia. (your own backyard) And for some Australian beaches don't have prostitutes every 2 metres.

Agree, beaches in Oz are beautiful. In the summer also fantastic beaches for 100's kilometers all along the East Coast. What I miss most in Thailand is surf beaches and many Thai restaurants in Oz better quality & tastier than in Thailand.

• Like 1

Agree, beaches in Oz are beautiful. In the summer also fantastic beaches for 100's kilometers all along the East Coast. What I miss most in Thailand is surf beaches and many Thai restaurants in Oz better quality & tastier than in Thailand.

So your not in Thailand for the beaches or food thenthumbsup.gif

Yes, I view this is a positive article because the only way we are going to see things improve is if various consulates project travelers warnings and people stop coming here.

Only then will the powers that be do something about the problem.

But with tourist numbers continually growing, I doubt anything will be done.

C'mon America, Canada, Western Europe, etc. find some balls and follow in these guy's footsteps.

Sadly, Officials, in the interests of keeping their positions, will only find new ways of skewing arrival numbers in order to ensure that tourism is "observed" to be continually increasing. Anyone with a business relying on foreigners, as well as regular visitors, can tell you that not only is the number of foreign visitors appearing to be on the decrease, but the quality of visitors is decreasing too. I can say that a lot of the guys that I see around Silom, Sukhumvit etc, which used to be the "up standard" area for tourists, I would have only expected to find on Khao San Road 5 years ago.

And they drink themselves until they can't stand anymore, wondering why they got robbed afterwards.

In rural Isaan, I have observed more foreigners too, who appear to be creating pockets of their home countries, or at least a western Oasis.. that isn't what Isaan is about. The tourists are out of touch with the embassies, the embassies are out of touch with their countrymen, and the government is out of touch with the world.

So it's not just my observation!! I've been visiting/holidaying in/transiting Thailand for 30+ years, and almost always stayed in the Sukhumvit Soi 3 - 21 zone, and that's been my observation. Years ago it was an infinitely nicer area than it is today with Sois Nana and Cowboy, and several other areas, now the hangouts of the bottom half percent of the socio/intellectual spectrum.

I'm in Thailand again in a couple of months, and have already booked in Sukhumvit, but I'll look elsewhere whilst there for the next visit.

I've never felt the need to visit Phuket or Pattaya so I can't comment on whether they've deteriorated.

Pattaya has deteriorated badly with the addition of up market shopping malls and too many 5* resorts attracting families which ruin the place. Bring back the good old days I say.

• Like 1

Beaches in NZ are also very beautiful, but there is no equivalent to the cheap Thai beach front accomodation. Either you are rich enough to afford a hotel/ motel/ guesthouse etc, or it's a caravan/ tent with shared facilities. I know which I prefer.

Must be for the temples, LOL.

Post modified to allow posting.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Modified for posting

Sure eye candy is great, but retired here with Thai wife; prefer Thailand as life is not staid, found the idea of retiring in Oz dull. Also never have had a problem in Thailand with scams. However, wife experienced a bag snatch in Malaysia & very nearly got ripped off by a money exchange in Bali (hotel security got the money back for me). Don't get why people rave about the food in Thailand, in my opinion, overall poor quality. - have a great New Year...

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

When Chalerm vowed to get rid of the mafias within 90 days back in June, guess he was a man who was serious and determined. I do not think there have been any reported problems in the LOS, since then! In all seriousness, I am not sure that there are more than a handful of people in thailand who really care. I honestly believe there is a twisted, mutated gene in their bodies, that allows them to rationally consider the stealing of money from a tourist to be morally permissible. I just think that the Thais regard most foreigners with such a tremendous degree of disregard, that they feel that it is not worth doing anything about these issues, and protecting foreigners, who allow so many thais to live very, very well. Most of these issues would diminish overnight, if they started arresting these insects, who run the jet ski operations, and the taxi and tuk-tuk mafias, and sentencing them to 10 year prison terms, with fines of 1,000,000 baht minimum. Literally overnight, these cretons would crawl back into the holes they came from. But, there is no will. There is no conviction on the part of the political establishment. And we all know the mafias own the police, so do not count on the toy police to go after these tiny, two bit punks, unless there is a higher power giving them the authority to do so. Where is the Anna Hazari of Thailand? When will the thai people start giving a dam_n? Thailand may end up lost in the dust, as their neighbors are making for more effort than the thais.

He also said there were 840k UK visitors to Thailand last year.

It would be interesting to know how this figure is obtained, is it UK based Thai visa applications?..or is it a massive round up from all Thai visas issued Worldwide onto a UK held passport

If it were 640k or 740k, what would the difference mean? I don't really get your point as to the numbers

He also said there were 840k UK visitors to Thailand last year.

It would be interesting to know how this figure is obtained, is it UK based Thai visa applications?..or is it a massive round up from all Thai visas issued Worldwide onto a UK held passport

If it were 640k or 740k, what would the difference mean? I don't really get your point as to the numbers

There is a relevance last year nearly 1000 UK nationals required consular assistance out of approx UK 840k visitors to Thailand. In comparison the USA had 5.5 million UK visitors of whom 1,822 required consular assistance. Another example UK visitors to France 19.3 million with 1,319 requiring consular assistance. The country with most consular assistance required was Spain with 12 million UK visitors, but 5,405 requiring consular assistance.

Edited by simple1

Drugs, scams and the like are endemic in Thailand. That's part of the social structure where 'puyai' may change their political base, colour, or whatever, but remain on track as 'puyai'.. You move freely from 'drugcartels almost gained full control up-North' to 'corruption has spread itself so strongly into the political structure, the judiciary and the police" in Phuket. You seem to suggest that not only is up-North free of drugcartels, but even corruption. Both are a wee bit beside the truth, IMHO.

As for "Phuket is a Democratic controlled zone and is a key source of party funds. Do the math", please provide some links from where you get the 'key source of funding'.

BTW I like your "had the former PM Thaksin not gone to war". I assume only figure of speech, less than 3000 deaths in that war. Seen as completely justified by some wink.png

I have never claimed that corruption is not present throughout the land. However, after having spent the past week in the heartland of Issan, i found the environment refreshing. No cops standing at the corner shaking people down like on Phuket. No touts on the prowl, no menacing taxi thugs, and no pimps getting in my face.

One of my friends just opened a shop in his village. He had to deal with bureaucracy and pay a local permit fee. We had a good laugh about it over a beer at the UD Beer Park the other night, because we were comparing the situation to what he had faced when he wanted to open a shop in Patong. No Bib stopping by, no local mafia protection fees, no inflated key money and no local administration officials with their hands out.

Yes, Phuket is a democrat stronghold. So is Koh Samui. Pattaya' political leadership is also firmly in the Democrat camp. Isn't it odd that the 3 biggest cesspools of tourist ripoffs, corruption, and downright depravity are not supporters of the PTP?

Edited by geriatrickid

The beaches in Australia are far superior in most way to Thailand, as is the infrastructure, safety, hygene, food etc.

What is different in Thailand is the price of things. As Chooka mentions, it is cheaper to fly to Thailand for a week than to holiday in Australia for a week. You also have very cheap direct flights to Phuket. The food, the accommodation the entertainment, the transport, the accommodation is all more expensive in Australia.

Add to that you feel you are getting a taste of something exotic and different, which in many ways you are. You can do tours of the local islands and all the rest. There are plenty of Australian couples and women that do Phuket and Thailand.

Then of course there is the industry that caters to men. Lots of beautiful women, an endless GF experience without the hard work, cheap alcohol available everywhere, loud music, perceived sense of freedom from all the rules and regulations back in OZ.

Of course when it all goes wrong many Aussie tourists expect the same type of justice and sense of right and wrong that they have back in Australia will apply in Thailand...which it often doesn't.

The beaches in Australia are far superior in most way to Thailand, as is the infrastructure, safety, hygene, food etc.

What is different in Thailand is the price of things. As Chooka mentions, it is cheaper to fly to Thailand for a week than to holiday in Australia for a week. You also have very cheap direct flights to Phuket. The food, the accommodation the entertainment, the transport, the accommodation is all more expensive in Australia.

Add to that you feel you are getting a taste of something exotic and different, which in many ways you are. You can do tours of the local islands and all the rest. There are plenty of Australian couples and women that do Phuket and Thailand.

Then of course there is the industry that caters to men. Lots of beautiful women, an endless GF experience without the hard work, cheap alcohol available everywhere, loud music, perceived sense of freedom from all the rules and regulations back in OZ.

Of course when it all goes wrong many Aussie tourists expect the same type of justice and sense of right and wrong that they have back in Australia will apply in Thailand...which it often doesn't.

An average 3 and half star room in Sydney for example will set you back over 6000 baht + over the next few weeks including nothing special to write home about....A schooner of beer in a average local bar 170 baht to 200 baht +in a late night venue.A taxi anywhere from 300 baht for a short trip to 1000 baht + depending on your journey and how lucky you are to even snag a taxi at 2 am in the morning....Freemantle in WA 360 baht a pint just now...also there are many Australian families who travel over to Phuket from all over Australia to spend their holidays here...Not everybody is a sex tourist...

• Like 1

Yes and all the other scams as well go there at your own peril

i say, have been there for holidays and will not go back

only the newbies go there till they learn then i doubt most would go back

Not true, I have been doing to Phuket for nearly 20 years and I love it. I always stay far from the action around Soi Nanai, stay at a nice hotel, hire a bike from them and have absolutely no problems. Of course I never rent a Jet Ski or car or even take a taxi as I have my own bike. Keeping the alcohol to moderate levels you need to always be wary but apart from that cant wait to hit the Tiger disco and those lovely kitties in there!

Bad news for you. Tiger burned down last August.

Well the difference is that if you try to take your family to the beach in Australia for a few beers and a picnic the Riot police will show up. You wont be allowed to pitch a tent. No BBQs. No beer. No deck chairs, and someone from OH and S will show up because your beach towel isnt correctly laid out, you will have some pimply faced teenager lifeguard threataning to call the police. Another thing from my own personal opinions is there isnt that many beautiful women on Australian beaches. It looks like a reverse version of Pattaya. And the last time I took my Thai wife to Byron Bay, Bondi, the Gold Coast, Palm Beach to look at the 'most beautiful Australian beaches' my Thai wife said 'Mai Suay'. Funnily enough I agreed. Watego's beach what a shythole!!

But Aussies still yell ozzie ozzie ozzie oi oi oi, and stil get drip fed the <deleted> that Australia is the best country in the world, my advice to my fellow Australians is to stay there. Behave like Americans and dont leave. Why would you want to? Its the best there isnt it?

Not true, I have been doing to Phuket for nearly 20 years and I love it. I always stay far from the action around Soi Nanai, stay at a nice hotel, hire a bike from them and have absolutely no problems. Of course I never rent a Jet Ski or car or even take a taxi as I have my own bike. Keeping the alcohol to moderate levels you need to always be wary but apart from that cant wait to hit the Tiger disco and those lovely kitties in there!

Bad news for you. Tiger burned down last August.

http://www.thaivisa....scotheque-fire/

Not to worry......they have opened an exact copy of Tiger just opposite the old one,so party on clap2.gif !!

Well the difference is that if you try to take your family to the beach in Australia for a few beers and a picnic the Riot police will show up. You wont be allowed to pitch a tent. No BBQs. No beer. No deck chairs, and someone from OH and S will show up because your beach towel isnt correctly laid out, you will have some pimply faced teenager lifeguard threataning to call the police. Another thing from my own personal opinions is there isnt that many beautiful women on Australian beaches. It looks like a reverse version of Pattaya. And the last time I took my Thai wife to Byron Bay, Bondi, the Gold Coast, Palm Beach to look at the 'most beautiful Australian beaches' my Thai wife said 'Mai Suay'. Funnily enough I agreed. Watego's beach what a shythole!!

But Aussies still yell ozzie ozzie ozzie oi oi oi, and stil get drip fed the <deleted> that Australia is the best country in the world, my advice to my fellow Australians is to stay there. Behave like Americans and dont leave. Why would you want to? Its the best there isnt it?

Try the west coast and you won't have any of those problems yo have in the big cities. The city beaches are crap anyway.

P.S I'm from Melbourne and not the west coast.

Edited by chooka

Drugs, scams and the like are endemic in Thailand. That's part of the social structure where 'puyai' may change their political base, colour, or whatever, but remain on track as 'puyai'.. You move freely from 'drugcartels almost gained full control up-North' to 'corruption has spread itself so strongly into the political structure, the judiciary and the police" in Phuket. You seem to suggest that not only is up-North free of drugcartels, but even corruption. Both are a wee bit beside the truth, IMHO.

As for "Phuket is a Democratic controlled zone and is a key source of party funds. Do the math", please provide some links from where you get the 'key source of funding'.

BTW I like your "had the former PM Thaksin not gone to war". I assume only figure of speech, less than 3000 deaths in that war. Seen as completely justified by some wink.png

I have never claimed that corruption is not present throughout the land. However, after having spent the past week in the heartland of Issan, i found the environment refreshing. No cops standing at the corner shaking people down like on Phuket. No touts on the prowl, no menacing taxi thugs, and no pimps getting in my face.

One of my friends just opened a shop in his village. He had to deal with bureaucracy and pay a local permit fee. We had a good laugh about it over a beer at the UD Beer Park the other night, because we were comparing the situation to what he had faced when he wanted to open a shop in Patong. No Bib stopping by, no local mafia protection fees, no inflated key money and no local administration officials with their hands out.

Yes, Phuket is a democrat stronghold. So is Koh Samui. Pattaya' political leadership is also firmly in the Democrat camp. Isn't it odd that the 3 biggest cesspools of tourist ripoffs, corruption, and downright depravity are not supporters of the PTP?

What upsets me is the automatic insertion of 'the other political party' in any topic where something in Thailand is wrong or not improving. It doesn't matter to me whether the 'other party' is PHeu Thai, Democrats, or whatever. The constant tendency to drag politics into any discussion doesn't help at all.

So tell me, does your Issan area have the same number of gullable tourists as Phuket? Might a somewhat undesirable part of Issan have migrated to greener pastures with richer reapings?

Anyway, obviously Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm couldn't clean up Phuket because he didn't get the right level of co-operation. He's currently either hoping everyone forgets about his too rash remarks, or just too busy with updating his own version of the Constitution.wink.png

Posted 2012-06-22 16:40:28

Chalerm vows to get rid of mafia in tourism businesses

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung Friday has vowed to get rid of the mafia groups in the tourism business within three months.

http://www.thaivisa....within-3-month/

Wasn't he the one that said he would get rid of drugs in three months. rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif How is that going exactly? whistling.gifwai2.gif

Try the west coast and you won't have any of those problems yo have in the big cities. The city beaches are crap anyway.

P.S I'm from Melbourne and not the west coast.

What like Cottesloe? Absolute dump. And go anywhere north of Exmouth and its just where the desert meets the sea. Great Australian Bite, Nothing!

I must admit I do not know why they do not have deckchairs etc on Australian beaches, but most people use beach umbrellas for shade. The beaches you refer to are fine for sunbathing and swimming, but there are a lot better on the East Coast. Personally I'm happy no alcohol, smoking etc on many beaches that means hardly any rubbish that spoils nearly all beaches in Thailand & the great thing is dogs are controlled; I loath the dog endemic on Thai beaches. Personally I've never been hassled by life guards, but people who ignore them often have to be rescued, especially at the Gold Coast & Bondi. You're right the bogans chanting "ozzie ozzie ozzie oi oi oi" are pathetic.

I live in Pattaya; I just wish the Thai authorities would invest to clean up the environment and the blatant scamming that has been a cause of complaint for to many years.

Pattaya has deteriorated badly with the addition of up market shopping malls and too many 5* resorts attracting families which ruin the place. Bring back the good old days I say.

While wishing for the 'good old days', may one also ask for a modicum of the youthful vigour, which we also had in times-gone-by ? rolleyes.gif

But we digress, because this thread is about Phuket rather-than Pattaya, and I've given up holidaying in rip-off-Phuket, in disgust at the level of scamming there. Vote with your feet & your wallet !

Edited by Ricardo

Well you can't use the beaches on phuket either in the Kamala -Kata strip. The beach vendors and touts have their territories marked out with beach chairs taking over the best spots. However, the sewage and run off polluting the waters might compensate for some people if they have a feces fetish.

• Like 2

The difference between you guys and us residential expats is that we are NOT so bloody stupid !

Posted 2012-06-22 16:40:28

Chalerm vows to get rid of mafia in tourism businesses

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung Friday has vowed to get rid of the mafia groups in the tourism business within three months.

http://www.thaivisa....within-3-month/

WOW! Does this mean that i can now safely spend my new years holiday at Phuket ?

The TOT does not care, get over it. If you think the government gives a s--t about protecting the tourist, you are mistaken. This has meen going on for over 40 years. It only has gotten worse, and the only government that tries to do anything was under General Prem. You have many people in the present government thet are police, this includes Big Brother, no entertainmemt place, grocery store, shop can not oprtate without paying protection money. This is almot like Illinois, exceot in Illinois the government serves two terms, one term in office, one term in jail. beatdeadhorse.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The difference between you guys and us residential expats is that we are NOT so bloody stupid !

One does not need to be bloody stupid to be victimized by a scam oldsailor, especially scams facilitated by police and other government officials. But you blaming the victims for being victimized certainly is.

• Like 1