Non-O Visa Based On Marriage.

You get a Non O Visa from a Thai Consulate and you do not need a bank letter.

If you are asking about a 12 Month Extension based on having a Thai Wife nothing has officially changed since last year.

Some offices like the bank letter issued on the same day and others give a day or two. smile.png

It would help to say where you are asking about for a better response - but there have not been any rule changes. And bank letter can vary from today (in Bangkok may want as banks are open one floor below) to a few days in places that more time is required.

We thought you were talking about a one year extension of stay from immigration as that is where a letter from bank is required. For Consulate issued visas proof of having account is normally all that is required (bank passbook or some such document) and varies by Consulate. KL and KB will issue with proof of 100k in account but have not seen any recent reports from Penang. Savannakhet will issue without such proof.

Mosha, Last month my Thai wife and me were asked to swear an oath( confirming that we were still married) before the Immigration Officer, in Chiang Mai. This was in addition to the usual lpaperwork. It was my 4th Extension of stay application. When we asked why, we were told that there had been a number of bogus extension of stay applications and the very morning we attended there had been one ,who had been refused and the foreign male fined 20,000 bht and told to leave the Kingdom.

Edited by Hugh Jarse

Was this as a form you sign? They have had everyone fill out forms at most locations for last year or so confirming they understand if the reason for extension ends the extension ends (marriage/work or other reason ends the extension immediately ends).

What you both have to sign is the statement that the officer fills out as they question you both, but normally the wife answers most of the questions. It takes a bit of time for the first extension but on the next one they pull up a saved copy on computer and simply do a quick review of info.

The 20,000 baht fine sounds like an overstay that was caught.

I usually get mynon-O visa from the consulate in Birmingham, England. But this year they wanted proof of marriage, a copy of my wife's ID card and House book plus lots of other stuff! I told them to forget it and just give me one because i am over 50. All I needed then was a bank statement from my UK bank. So much easier.

Chris

I usually get my non-O visa from the consulate in Birmingham, England. But this year they wanted proof of marriage, a copy of my wife's ID card and House book plus lots of other stuff! I told them to forget it and just give me one because i am over 50. All I needed then was a bank statement from my UK bank. So much easier.

Chris

The discussion is about extensions of stay not visas.

The OP incorrectly called his extension of stay a visa.