How To Teach English In Thailand?

Hello there, after looking through the forums I couldn't find anything too useful, so I've decided to start a new topic.

Simple question: How does a farang go about teaching English in Thailand? I've heard the laws have changed to make it more difficult, but what is the government's stance at this very moment?

What qualifications do we need?

I have an LLB (Honours) degree from a top UK university, and I hold a post graduate diploma at another eminent UK university. I have no work experience or teaching experience. I have no teaching qualifications.

Could I consider myself a candidate?

Any help greatly appreciated

Check out Ajarn, just Google it. CELTA is great for worlwide but the expense isnt neccesary for Thailand. A degree is enough, of course expeience and a basic TEFL will open more options.

Solid professional qualifications always good for someone's CV. A sound investment followed by maybe 2 years TEFL. Don't know what the post-grad diploma is about, but a Masters in International Law might be considered afterwards. Could get some PT TEFL teaching maybe in HK and study the masters there.

To teach in Thailand you only need a BA (in any subject) forget the CELTS and TEFL you don't need them any longer. What you do need however is a Thai teachers licence (issued by the Teaching Council of Thailand). Arrive here with your degree, apply to various schools. After you get a job the school with give you a letter addressed to the Teaching Council of Thailand and they in turn will issue you with a two year exemption certificate allowing you to teach and time to sit the examinations required to obtain a full teachers licence. Easy as that!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi

Doing a TEFL course is very important for you and your students . Teaching people who do not speak the language involves a total new skill set and you will not get this online or back home. Therefore you will be a better teacher and it is much better for the students to learn with a teacher who has the correct skills.

Having a degree and being a native English speaker does help you to get a job but a TEFL certificate gives you understanding how to deliver good lessons.

Roger

• Like 1