Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't lie - it was a random guess. I figured late eighties, and just guessed 87. Just lucky...clap2.gif

Naaaais! cool.png Hope I'm lucky next time.crazy.gif

I have absolutely NO plane spotting experience. So i guess i have to take your word for it. Or...

...You inspected the element picture and found out it was taken in 1987. So this means you where joking.

Anyways always good to have some comic relief on any thread, i think

No - I didn't inspect the element picture - if I had I am fairly sure it would not have given the year the photo was taken.

So I was not joking Dancealot - I actually did guess the year. Okay?

I won't lie - it was a random guess. I figured late eighties, and just guessed 87. Just lucky...clap2.gif

Naaaais! cool.png Hope I'm lucky next time.crazy.gif

I have absolutely NO plane spotting experience. So i guess i have to take your word for it. Or...

...You inspected the element picture and found out it was taken in 1987. So this means you where joking.

Anyways always good to have some comic relief on any thread, i think

No - I didn't inspect the element picture - if I had I am fairly sure it would not have given the year the photo was taken.

So I was not joking Dancealot - I actually did guess the year. Okay?

I didnt thought so. I realize after going through the thread you really have 'guessed' right. Top marks on that!

# 031

Try for the ...

• Airline
  • Make and Model

attachicon.gifLR DSCF6948.JPG

Nothing hidden with this one.

Very low res shot though as the planes Rego number I haven't removed ... laugh.png

Qantas uses this design marking alignment. And...

Qantas never crashedthumbsup.gif --Am i close?

Nope ... but thanks for trying ... wink.png

This looks like a C-47A Dakota to me from Derby airways

Date stamp around 1962 i reckon.

Also the design of the C 47 B undermines the purity of the original intent to develop the C 47 A, IMHO

Gawd....too easy by half!

Your turn Dancealot! clap2.gif

You guys threw me for a loop. I could have sworn that airplane looked exactly like a DC-3. So after a little bit of haphazard research my ego is back in check as the Dakota and the DC-3 are essentially the same.

As an aside, is it known as a Dakota generally where you are from or as a DC-3? I think most here would call it a DC-3. By the way, it is still in use here as a passenger and freight plane. I think mostly between Hay river and Yellowknife, NWT.

dc3s-rad-jkm-wir.jpg

Edited by spud67

Evening Gents,

Apologies for going quiet in this thread - have had more pressing concerns at hand for the last week and a half...

I believe someone asked a question about the airbus designations (A380-841)

Airbus do it differently to Boeing. Boeing's designation works on a customer number basis i.e a TG Boeing 'owned' aircraft has the D7 at the end of the model e.g 747-4D7. So when you see anything else other than D7 at the end of TG aircraft designator this aircraft belongs to someone else i.e the 77W which are owned by either Jet Airways or a leasing company.

Airbus do things by engine type and don't have customer numbers identifiable i.e on an A380-841 the 41 refers to the engine type and not the owner of the aircraft, the 8 designates the series of the model..

Hope that clears up some stuff..

spud67,

You're first post is a rather smart looking C-17 Globemaster of which airforce I can't tell, but you being a Canuck I'm going to say of the RCAF...

Welcome smile.png

Correct on both counts and thanks for the welcome!

This looks like a C-47A Dakota to me from Derby airways

Date stamp around 1962 i reckon.

Also the design of the C 47 B undermines the purity of the original intent to develop the C 47 A, IMHO

Gawd....too easy by half!

Your turn Dancealot! clap2.gif

You guys threw me for a loop. I could have sworn that airplane looked exactly like a DC-3. So after a little bit of haphazard research my ego is back in check as the Dakota and the DC-3 are essentially the same.

As an aside, is it known as a Dakota generally where you are from or as a DC-3? I think most here would call it a DC-3. By the way, it is still in use here as a passenger and freight plane. I think mostly between Hay river and Yellowknife, NWT.

dc3s-rad-jkm-wir.jpg

There is a TV series, currently being shown on some obscure channels here in the UK, featuring this airline. They seem to fly in exciting conditions.

# 031

Try for the ...

• Airline
  • Make and Model

attachicon.gifLR DSCF6948.JPG

Nothing hidden with this one.

Very low res shot though as the planes Rego number I haven't removed ... laugh.png.

I think you are all just kidding that you can't see that's MAS - I think a 737-800

Correct ... I did say nothing hidden here ... biggrin.png

post-104736-0-82181200-1362473160_thumb.

A Malaysian Airlines Boeing 737-8H6(WL)

Here is a repurposed aircraft from yesterday for today. These aircraft were originally intended for the new passenger flying industry. Unfortunately, soon after its development, jet engines proved reliable for long distances.

Guess the make, model and purpose (if you canmellow.png ). The livery is a small industrial company in Alberta Canada.

I have a handful of cool photos I took of this aircraft that I will share.

post-170438-0-20035400-1362495145_thumb.

err, its a converted air spray tanker aircraft flying with Alberta Aviation?? They have another L-188 with tailfin number 490 that I could find....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyvertosset/8479328877/in/set-72157632779556175/

By the way - nice photo - please post more.

I always liked this aircraft model since I was younger in the Royal Australian Air Force - flew many times in the P3C Orions which were the maritime recon versions of the L-188....

err, its a converted air spray tanker aircraft flying with Alberta Aviation?? They have another L-188 with tailfin number 490 that I could find....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyvertosset/8479328877/in/set-72157632779556175/

By the way - nice photo - please post more.

I always liked this aircraft model since I was younger in the Royal Australian Air Force - flew many times in the P3C Orions which were the maritime recon versions of the L-188....

Indeed it is the Lockheed Elektra L188. The callsign is Airspray and they provide fire suppression services in the Rocky Mountains. The P3 Orion is its sister ship and provides marine recon and SAR on the Atlantic and Pacific coasts in Canada.

As promised/threatened:

This may be my favourite avaiation photo. I took this with a cheap point and click Fuji and removed the colour in PSE.

d4bfe6844b17d1a2283ea635b337f365767bffda

An amazingly brilliant sunrise at Williams Lake CYWL.

9465f74e189799c27507e02b4b621a5b3c8112d6

One of the few in-flight I have. Smoke trails visible.

8d9125b712cd84dedece73aac45241e93407eb2f

Air Spray and Conair filling with foam suppressant.

bf173a779b8dcda9d780deab707cbca5b85bee6e

The fire is now about 20 miles to the west. The sun is barely visible top left. The trees become invisible in smoke at 1.5 miles. The helicopters are mostly B212s, a couple of AS350s and an EC150.

adcc317171eda8359139c24cb5699c13e1fe21ec

About 5 miles from the fire, the smoke makes the sky orange as the Elektra approaches.

aed3b4e2226fb87245d698c25a9e4ad71018192d

Great memories working in British Columbia

Mike

Here is another one on the ground. This plane is interesting for its uniqe and singular purpose. Hint: it's American and goes just about anywhere it wants. If you saw the markings on the side it would be obvious.

Anyways, guess the basic make and model... if you think you know its purpose, guess the variant.

It's the big guy in the background.

7a513154dd5ff679b292fdf9393d230f22000528