Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so good on helicopter recognition, but it looks like a Squirrel? (Aerospatiale)?

G'day SBV, what I was getting at is that they are now "Airbus Helicopters AS350" The mighty Squirrels

I do ask the chopper folks here, any Aussie pilot knows thees as Squirrels, ATC refer to them the same, very few forign pilots know their "name" or nickname. Is it an Aussie thing ?

Surely not an Aussie slang for it, but then again, I'm an Aussie and only know them as "Squirrels" ...

So I did of sleuthing, seems the frenchies also refer to them as "écureuil" which is French for squirrel..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocopter_AS350

Speaking of the A350, what a sexy bit of kit that is!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26117073

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22904817

From Singapore Airshow this week.

Bangkok Airways has placed an order worth nearly US$200 million for six regional aircraft with the European turboprop maker ATR. The purchase of ATR 72-600s.

&

Nok Air agreed to acquire 15 B737 family single-aisle jets from the US plane maker Boeing to support its growth strategy.

8 737-800

7 737-Max8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Dave, this has been flying for about 10 years now !!!

It's donks are normal as such, and the mount is hardly a new design by historical standards.

It seems that the useless main stream Oz media just caught on to it and woke up !!!!

This is a tiny machine, at a high price compared to its competitors. One advantage it has though is that it is backed by Honda,so should be supported for a while if they pull the plug on the project.

Some of these small jets are so cramped in the cockpit, like being in a sardine tin.

• 4 weeks later...

Cough Cough - Hello thread

The 747 shown is a SP, short little fat with a super long range, developed from the original -100 for countries with embargoes..... Think South Africa and Iran :)

Oh yeah the SP! My first ever long haul flight was one of them with Qantas to LAX via HNL...

Pretty sweet ride if configured for biz jet ops. Find yourself high rolling at The Venetian and get a ride home on that bad boy... :D

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Seen an episode of 'Mighty Birds' on TV - NASA fly one of those 747 SPs around with a huge telescope in the back. There is a large door in the fuselage they open to look at whatever it is they want to look at - "white pointers" (naked breasts) on Oz beaches probably, if they are typical of the Americans I have met.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=nasa+747+sp&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=dcmkU6yfPNicugTywYKIBA&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=965

Cough Cough - Hello thread

The 747 shown is a SP, short little fat <deleted> with a super long range, developed from the original -100 for countries with embargoes..... Think South Africa and Iran smile.png

That landing @ 1.40 is impossible ... and amazing, given the cross wind!

Have you ever noticed how much of a inconvience it is while flying to pour Coke Zero form a can into a cup ?

It takes for ever for the fizzes to die down, I presume it has fun and a dance with the lower presure in the cabin, anyone know what exactly is the reason, or is it part of the Coke secret ?

The cbain crew hate the stuff as it takes for ever to pour a drink and slows them down.

Next time you want a really hot coffee or Ms TV member wants mama or jok while flying, typical cabin presure is about 8000' (all going hunky dory), water will boil at about 90'c.

Sea Level is 100' if you have forgotton or in a drunken stupia giggle.gif (at 29.92 or 1013 ) (I think)

Have you ever noticed how much of a inconvience it is while flying to pour Coke Zero form a can into a cup ?

It takes for ever for the fizzes to die down, I presume it has fun and a dance with the lower presure in the cabin, anyone know what exactly is the reason, or is it part of the Coke secret ?

The cbain crew hate the stuff as it takes for ever to pour a drink and slows them down.

"with the lower pressure in the cabin"

IIRC it used to be, back in my day, that there were special lower-fizz drinks for airline-use, for just that reason.

This may be of interest to CLB. The traffic patterns and even the aircraft have changed a little since your last flights up here. There are 5 737s (one is hidden behind the hangar, just the nose sticking out.) But there are 3 different models now.

10329273_10152500970204114_4419689176746

As there are so many plane enthusiasts in Thailand (that makes this post thai relatedclap2.gif)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2674141/Hidden-amid-foliage-scrap-metal-abandoned-fleet-WWII-fighter-planes-lie-rotting-backwoods-Ohio.html

has a lot of beautiful sad photos.

Hidden amid the foliage and scrap metal, abandoned fleet of WWII fighter planes lie rotting in the backwoods of Ohio
  • Planes were lovingly collected by scrapyard worker Walter Soplata in his back garden in Newbury, Ohio, in 1940s
  • But since his death the planes lie at the abandoned graveyard amongst overgrown foliage and scrap metal
  • The haunting images of the aviation graveyard were captured by 24-year-old photographer, Jonny Joo

By AMANDA WILLIAMS

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2674141/Hidden-amid-foliage-scrap-metal-abandoned-fleet-WWII-fighter-planes-lie-rotting-backwoods-Ohio.html#ixzz36574ENQy
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• 2 weeks later...

An OP over in the New Forum ...

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok-based budget carrier Nok Air will before the end of the month take delivery of the first of eight Bombardier Q400 NextGen turboprops and in doing so become the first airline in the region to operate the Canadian-made aircraft.

More info here

q400_nextgen01_paris_jpg_26088.jpg

performance.jpg

Interesting that the ATR72-600 didn't get a look in. I wonder if it was the extra seating that made the difference ? I see that Bangkok Airways recently ordered 3 more of them.

'The new ATR 42–600 and 72–600 feature a number of improvements over previous versions. They are powered by the newPW127M engines, which enable a 5% increase in takeoff power called for by a "boost function" as needed, only when called for by the takeoff conditions. The flight deck features five wide LCD screens (improving on the EFIS from previous versions). A multi-purpose computer (MPC) aims at increasing flight safety and operational capabilities, and new Thales-made avionicsprovide RNP capabilities. Finally, the aircraft feature lighter seats and larger overhead baggage bins.'

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok-based budget carrier Nok Air will before the end of the month take delivery of the first of eight Bombardier Q400 NextGen turboprops and in doing so become the first airline in the region to operate the Canadian-made aircraft.

More info here

performance.jpg

Nice looking bird with good performance.

More info here

I've had the pleasure of flying on the Q400 with Porter Airlines. The noise and vibration suppression systems are obvious and appreciated (as is the espresso maker). And at 340 knots, they make for a speedy, regional puddle-jumper.

• 4 weeks later...

re Q400:

They are a pain in the butt with no O2 you sit in the "exciting wet icing" in the tropics, (limited to 25,000 without drop down oxygen) and with all its computers the power leaver don't have autothrottle ( except for Go-around and in the even of a power up engine failure in take off configuration).

They seem to make money however clap2.gif and on short trips no noticeable time difference to the burners. Can get in and out of strips that not many jets can.

They are just as safe as any jet.

• 4 weeks later...

Kids Slapped With 192-Pound Weight Tilt Qantas Plane Nose

iGieFqs.TayY.jpg

Source

Primary school children mistakenly assigned the standard adult weight of 87 kilograms (192 pounds) each tipped the nose of a Qantas Airways Ltd. (QAN) plane, prompting the pilot to take corrective steps during a takeoff.

Ground staff loaded 87 primary-school students on to the back of a Boeing Co. (BA) 737 plane on a May 9 domestic flight and then wrongly entered them as adults, changing the weight of the aircraft in the data supplied to the pilots, Australia’s Transportation Safety Board said on its website today. The mistake prompted the pilot to set the instruments incorrectly, making the plane nose-heavy, it said.

The load-sheet provided to the pilots had overstated the aircraft take-off weight by about 3.5 to 5 tons, according to the report. The single-aisle plane with 150 passengers, including the group of 87 students, was flying to Perth in Western Australia from national capital Canberra. The children were seated together at the rear of the cabin.

To “lift off from the runway, the captain found that significant back pressure was required on the control column,” the agency said in the report. The captain was “conscious of the potential of striking the aircraft tail on the runway” if he put too much pressure on the controls. Boeing pilots pull back on their controls to lift the front of the aircraft.

As a non-pilot myself ... I never knew the balance was so fine ... w00t.gif

As a non-pilot myself ... I never knew the balance was so fine ... w00t.gif

That's why you need a trained load-master, and hold-luggage is often split fore-and-aft, I believe ?

If you think about it, most of the weight of the aircraft & payload is carried in-the-air by the wings, so excessive unbalanced weight fore/aft would act around the fulcrum, just like a see-saw.

I believe that the balance of the fuel-load is also important, especially since that gradually burns-off, changing the centre-of-gravity during the flight !

The importance of correct loading was brought home to me, when watching a China Southern wide-body loading at Delhi, they were using every last scrap of space for individual-bags as well as taking a full load of belly-hold cargo-containers. Quite impressive, and important to remain within the aircraft-manufacturer's design-constraints !

I'll just go fetch my anorak ! coffee1.gif

• 1 month later...

Nar, No need for an Anorak, everything you said was kind of correct or at least in the spirit of correctness.

Actually very well said without going Geekish, like pilots tend to do, who forget that no one gives a damn anyway.

You don't need to wonder if someone is a pilot, don't worry, they will tell you, actually to break it down, a co-pilot (first officer - P2) or actually in reality a second officer, a cruiser who often sites in First Class during TKOF & LDG will be the first to tell you and in my experience.

This Youtube below, kind of looks unstable and a bit silly, but I would love one......... if it is proven and maintained properly.

Anyone else want to ,,,cough cough...BUMP

• 2 weeks later...

Archived