Thailand's Cola Conflict: Est Vs. Pepsi

webfact

To each his own but I will never understand why people crave that poison. Cola is pure evil.

Cola a poison and pure evil?

Carbonated water, sugar or corn syrup, caramel colouring and various citrus oil flavourings from oranges, lime or lemon. I believe an acid is added as well. Maybe phosphoric acid but I'm not sure.

If you think that's an evil poison you'd better stay in bed until you get a life.

Edited by kimamey
  • Like 1

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But still no word or indications of what happened to all the Pepsi and Pepsi max.

Ok so they broke the contract and Pepsi is not leaving Thailand soooo where is all the Pepsi ?

Not a smart move by Pepsi to leave the shelves empty for a while as many may switch brands

we noticed that also in Big C no pepsi on the shelves. found a couple of bottles in Tesco but not much around. Still plenty of Coke on the shelves. Doesn't Coka Cola hold the major market share?

In most countries yes but in Thailand for some reason it's Pepsi, or at least it was.

Pepsi holds the market share over Coke in India also. I believe the CEO of Pepsi is an Indian woman. I recently saw a comentary about Pepsi Co. on TV. burp.gif

Thanks for that. I didn't know it was so big in India.

What I do know is that it or any other major cola are not evil, poison or filth as stated by some on here who seem to have possibly consumed too many food colourings and are showing sign of over active imaginations.

I think cola is made of mainly natural products which can cause problems if consumed to excess.

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I didn't know it was so big in India.

What I do know is that it or any other major cola are not evil, poison or filth as stated by some on here who seem to have possibly consumed too many food colourings and are showing sign of over active imaginations.

I think cola is made of mainly natural products which can cause problems if consumed to excess.

It is the sugar and/or High Fructose corn syrup that are the dangers. If consumed in excess, as you say.

• Like 1

To each his own but I will never understand why people crave that poison. Cola is pure evil.

Carbonated water, sugar or corn syrup, caramel colouring and various citrus oil flavourings from oranges, lime or lemon. I believe an acid is added as well. Maybe phosphoric acid but I'm not sure.

If you think that's an evil poison you'd better stay in bed until you get a life.

All the sugar need minerals and Vitamines when burning, what you think they coming from, not from the Coke, that's sure. If you not have a lot of good food, like vegetables and fruits, you have less minerals and Vitamines in your body. Then the body must use the reserves, take out minerals from the boones...

It's evil, the german studying about industrial food for the workers in order from Hitler, the American bring it to perfection.

All the sugar need minerals and Vitamines when burning, what you think they coming from, not from the Coke, that's sure. If you not have a lot of good food, like vegetables and fruits, you have less minerals and Vitamines in your body. Then the body must use the reserves, take out minerals from the boones...

It's evil, the german studying about industrial food for the workers in order from Hitler, the American bring it to perfection.

Here's the stuff that's in Pepsi and Coke (attached).

What's in Est ? Anybody know?

Pepsi and Coke.pdf

Not long ago there was an issue somewhere in the world (California?) about the coloring in cola drinks. That the artificial blackener (or whatever it is called) was bad for health. Sorry can't remember the details, and the ingredient doesn't necessarily show up on the list of contents, but perhaps someone on here remembers more details?

Talking about cola drink ingredients, from what I heard they often use stevia (a natural plant extract) as a sweetener in Japan in soft drinks. In New Zealand I noticed a brand that uses stevia and sugar together (to lower the sugar content). Stevia has been put in a bad light by the sugar industry in the West in the past century as they saw it as a serious threat. However it is possibly the best sweetener around. In Thailand there's some trials happening in Isaan (Udon region) and perhaps full scale production may already be happening elsewhere in the country (Stevia is typically produced in Latin America so far, with it being readily available in Brazilian supermarkets for example). In the West, in countries where stevia is available, it is often mixed with sugar alcohols to lower product costs, but these cause stomach upsets in some people so if you happen to buy the product make sure to avoid Western brands that have sugar alcohols such as erythritol mixed in.

My take on the debate: best cola drink would probably be a green one, colored with chlorophyll and sweetened with stevia... There's no reason for it to be black, there's no reason for it to have sugar nor artificial sweeteners in it... blink.png

I can't believe people drink so much of these drinks on a daily basis. Throw in the abundance of donut establishments, (if i'm not wrong sell these drinks as well) and i see a future of obese and diabetic consumers in asia that has been generally the top billing of western countries.

I can't believe you think there is no issue with cola drinks. You must have your head in the sand. The health issue's with diabetes and obesity are only a start.

For those wondering why the name "EST", it was explained at launch in five points, the first was

Firstly, "est" is a cool yet easy to remember brand. It's a suffix that expresses a superlative - such as great-est, new-est or cool-est. Brand communications will be based on the concept of "est it your way", representing the DNA of Thai teens and inspiring them to do everything to their full-est efforts.

The rest are here http://www.nationmul...T-30193722.html

Not The Nation has their own take on this. biggrin.png

“Our separation from Serm Suk has no effect on Pepsi or what it stands for to our millions of consumers,” said Jagrut Kotecha, general manager for beverages at Pepsi-Cola (Thai) Trading. “We are prepared to spend whatever it takes to make sure those consumers never stop to think otherwise.”

http://notthenation....does-something/

• Like 1

For those wondering why the name "EST", it was explained at launch in five points, the first was

Firstly, "est" is a cool yet easy to remember brand. It's a suffix that expresses a superlative - such as great-est, new-est or cool-est. Brand communications will be based on the concept of "est it your way", representing the DNA of Thai teens and inspiring them to do everything to their full-est efforts.

The rest are here http://www.nationmul...T-30193722.html

That link gave me a good chuckle. I especially like this one:

Thirdly, the new-est range of packaging is designed to meet all lifestyle requirements. New "est" cola will be available in seven package sizes to match consumer lifestyles.
  • Like 1

ahh thai pirate capitalism at work - who can forget how Pizza Company became a force in the Pizza industry; by ripping off their partner Pizza Hut. Good luck to EST ripping off all they have learned in their partner ship with Pepsi

Bravo I say!biggrin.png

And that was a farang who did it. minor corp. Who says the Thais have a monopoly on this behavior.

ahh thai pirate capitalism at work - who can forget how Pizza Company became a force in the Pizza industry; by ripping off their partner Pizza Hut. Good luck to EST ripping off all they have learned in their partner ship with Pepsi

Bravo I say!biggrin.png

And that was a farang who did it. minor corp. Who says the Thais have a monopoly on this behavior.

Heinecke is a Thai Citizen.
  • Like 1

“I still prefer Pepsi to Est,” says Ramet, “but I couldn’t find any Pepsi cans so I have to switch to Est for the moment.”

This type of expression only make me realize I'm from another generation. The one born after WWII, but when lots of stuff was still rationed.

"I had to switch to Est" Well luckily the water from the tab is drinkable, so I for one didn't have to switch blink.png

“I still prefer Pepsi to Est,” says Ramet, “but I couldn’t find any Pepsi cans so I have to switch to Est for the moment.”

This type of expression only make me realize I'm from another generation. The one born after WWII, but when lots of stuff was still rationed.

"I had to switch to Est" Well luckily the water from the tab is drinkable, so I for one didn't have to switch blink.png

I buy my water and drink about three liters a day. If I can not find Pepsi Max I get Coke Zero, If I am really really desperate I will drink a Coke light. But most of the time I just drink more water.

What was really great in Canada was you could buy Diet Pepsi no sugar and no caffeine.

Bravo I say!biggrin.png

Heinecke is a Thai Citizen.

Great cop out that one. The reason he got the business up front was obviously because he was Thai right?

Is that a new racial category in Thailand. The farang Thai? Consisting in terms of business in Thailand of about 3 people......

Edited by Thai at Heart

Lets go back a little bit. Pepsi used this guy to do their bottling and distribution in Thailand for many years (20 to 30). They did it so well that Pepsi out sold Coke, one of the few markets in the world to do so. Pepsi however refused to consider a request from their Thai partner to decrease the price for their concentrate/royalties, which was squeezing the local companies margins. After the two parties couldn't agree to renew the contract last year, the Thai company announced that they will launch their own soda. Est will hurt Pepsi's market share in Thailand and Coke has already benefitted from Pepsi's move (they now have 55% of the market share). Est is cheaper is locally made and now is available at more places than Pepsi. What Est did was simple. They knew all the people who bought Pepsi in the past, they send out their trucks, off loaded Est, loaded the empty Pepsi bottles. Over night Pepsi disappeared and Est appeared. Pepsi made a mistake and will pay for it as it's not easy to regain lost market share. The arrogance of big companies is sometimes astounding.

I hate to point out the obvious dude! But you are so wrong! Est is just like another copy cat brand of Nike, addidas, prada or as what lady gaga would want...an imitation Rolex etc.. Pepsi knows it & they are just waiting for the last laugh! Personally, I would not even glance the est way let alone try it! *duh!

Lets go back a little bit. Pepsi used this guy to do their bottling and distribution in Thailand for many years (20 to 30). They did it so well that Pepsi out sold Coke, one of the few markets in the world to do so. Pepsi however refused to consider a request from their Thai partner to decrease the price for their concentrate/royalties, which was squeezing the local companies margins. After the two parties couldn't agree to renew the contract last year, the Thai company announced that they will launch their own soda. Est will hurt Pepsi's market share in Thailand and Coke has already benefitted from Pepsi's move (they now have 55% of the market share). Est is cheaper is locally made and now is available at more places than Pepsi. What Est did was simple. They knew all the people who bought Pepsi in the past, they send out their trucks, off loaded Est, loaded the empty Pepsi bottles. Over night Pepsi disappeared and Est appeared. Pepsi made a mistake and will pay for it as it's not easy to regain lost market share. The arrogance of big companies is sometimes astounding.

I hate to point out the obvious dude! But you are so wrong! Est is just like another copy cat brand of Nike, addidas, prada or as what lady gaga would want...an imitation Rolex etc.. Pepsi knows it & they are just waiting for the last laugh! Personally, I would not even glance the est way let alone try it! *duh!

It will be a little harder than that because it will come down to excluding stocking one or the other. But Pepsi has deeper pockets.

Yes an acid is added the factory my dad works for sells it to them, ill ask what it is when i speak with him.

Pepsi / coca cola / est all are bad for you but so are many other things. Its called freedom to drink it if you want.

I cut out sugar a while ago definately better for your body and weight. Same goes for alcohol also not good for you. But who am i to say stop taking it. As long as you like it and only destroy yourself why not.

I feel everyone should use what they want as long as they pick up the bill for healthcare and such themselves.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

I remember reading an op ed piece in the newspapers - 2 choices their - bemoaning the fact that their were NO international Thai brands. This of course is part of the reason, all those companies that have been copycated and pirated are not going to be happy neighbors, and different behaiviour in the home country would be expected .... ooops.

And sorry Mae Ploy - I do buy your curry goop religiously when back home

Yes an acid is added the factory my dad works for sells it to them, ill ask what it is when i speak with him.

Pepsi / coca cola / est all are bad for you but so are many other things. Its called freedom to drink it if you want.

I cut out sugar a while ago definately better for your body and weight. Same goes for alcohol also not good for you. But who am i to say stop taking it. As long as you like it and only destroy yourself why not.

I feel everyone should use what they want as long as they pick up the bill for healthcare and such themselves.

Well said. None of these will do much if any harm if drunk occasionally. It's the people who drink it all the time that have problems but then they should know better.

Well said. None of these will do much if any harm if drunk occasionally. It's the people who drink it all the time that have problems but then they should know better.

Of course its only harmful in large quantities, but then still its a choice. I don't like nanny states (though i do like them pick up drunk drivers as they harm others not themselves). Anyway i feel people should eat drink what they want but they should be educated a bit about the harm things do. Right now Thailand is going the same way as the west fat and diabetic wise. Though in the West we are more aware of the problem, here with the low education things arent that good.