Honda 500Cc Family - News And Reviews

canuckamuck

Any comments from owners about headlight? How it is set up (bulb sizes etc) and impressions from use?

The CBR250 has a lousy standard light - 35w/35w - not at all helpful on roads with the odd pothole on a dark night. The export models get 55w/60w bulbs. Much better, esp when replaced with one of the new super H4 bulbs like Philips Night Vision.

I hope the 500 has avoided this problem.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any comments from owners about headlight? How it is set up (bulb sizes etc) and impressions from use?

The CBR250 has a lousy standard light - 35w/35w - not at all helpful on roads with the odd pothole on a dark night. The export models get 55w/60w bulbs. Much better, esp when replaced with one of the new super H4 bulbs like Philips Night Vision.

on the 250 just put a H4 55/60w in it.. sorted.

guys, i am not questioning the better spec and quality of versys here, of course versys is a better bike.

But, value of cbx500 is perfect for Thailand and for masses, beginners as cbx can climb the hills of North as much as versys can climb and can do 150 kmh as versys can do too at the end - which people mostly tour on these kind of bikes less than that.

So, if you want to tour and go for mild trails, it is an cheaper option of versys so we must be happy here to have a choice 100 k less than versys. What is wrong with that?

Besides, some people might not want to throw more money - 100 k - on versys and be satisfied with less power and ride as some might find that extra power excessive or fuel expenses high on versys.

There are many factor for riders to choose their bikes and they are not only top speed or suspensions.

And versys with ABS is 209 kg wet.

As a Versys owner, I agree with that assessment.

I kind of want to try out the CBX500 to see how it compares first hand - little details will make the difference to choose one over the other. Price, weight, power all factor in; I am most interested in how well the CBX handles - that's not on the spec sheet.

Which bike is faster up Suthep - will depend 99% on the rider, 1% on the bike.

If I was going to buy a bike now, I'd definitely try both. As it is I already have a Versys and there is zero reason to consider "downgrading" to a CBX500.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

A few people keep sliding in the "of course Versys is a better bike". I guess this conclusion is reached only after they have ridden the Honda 500 and tested it thoroughly over a few years. I want to know why Honda allowed one-eyed Kawasaki lovers such preferential treatment.

More seriously, without getting into a debate about one's personal brand loyalties, what, if any, are the better aspects of the Kwaka? Leaving out the obvious engine displacement of course.

I have owned Kawasaki, so don't feel I am unusually biased toward Honda, but my experiences on the Kwaka 650 haven't convinced me that I should be putting my hard-earned cash there rather than with Mr Honda.

A few people keep sliding in the "of course Versys is a better bike". I guess this conclusion is reached only after they have ridden the Honda 500 and tested it thoroughly over a few years. I want to know why Honda allowed one-eyed Kawasaki lovers such preferential treatment.

More seriously, without getting into a debate about one's personal brand loyalties, what, if any, are the better aspects of the Kwaka? Leaving out the obvious engine displacement of course.

I have owned Kawasaki, so don't feel I am unusually biased toward Honda, but my experiences on the Kwaka 650 haven't convinced me that I should be putting my hard-earned cash there rather than with Mr Honda.

Cast swing arm, stronger USD forks, twin disk brakes up front, better headlights? (twin v single), more power, looks better (when viewed from the right hand side).

For the Honda - lower price, less weight, centre stand as an option, more sophisticated linkage rear suspension, anti-lock as standard, right and left sides match.

You can see where the extra money goes into the Kawasaki - but I guess it depends on our priorities. I guess the Honda would be better if you wanted to go off-road, simply because it's lighter and slimmer?

I'm still considering both .... but the Versys looks meaner in black .... and meaness is important in a bike!

I wasn't aware of centre stand option on the Honda - a very welcome move. I am an inveterate chain oiler, and love centre stands for this alone.

Seems Kwaka has a more solid frame if it gets dropped. Maybe better for longer life too. As to brakes, twin discs sounds good, but I really don't like the Kwaka ABS system - cuts in too quickly, and pulses like its going to have an orgasm. Honda ABS is much more conservative, at least on my 250, and even when it does cut in for a screaming near-death stop in the rain, it doesn't pulse much.

I do like the old(er) engineering in the Kwaka - proven product over many years, with the odd tweak to improve it on model updates. Overall build quality (choice of materials, precision machining and assembly) are also important factors for me. Only time really shows if these are high standard. Kwaka is proven, will take a while to know if Honda has found the right balance between quality and cost.

The extra displacement / power of the Kwaka 650 isn't as crucial as usability. If Honda gets a good torque spread (it seems to from specs) along with the usual idiot proof Honda handling, I imagine it will mostly keep up with a hard ridden 650.

Does anybody know for sure the HP on these bikes, Europe is getting 46.9 because of A2 licencing rules, but the US is getting 54.5hp, it seems everywhere I read, sites are assuming it's 46.9hp, but looking at past history with Kawasaki, the Thai market usually gets the US spec, ie. Ninja650r not ER6F, and why would Honda roll out the restricted engine when there is no restrictions in place?

Looking for positive answers rather IMOs or guesswork biggrin.png

• 1 month later...

hi there! i would like to inform you that i have test riden the 2013 cbr500r and also cbr500x at the honda big wing dealer in bkk ram intra district. while riding it gentle i felt it was a pretty good bike for the money. i then took both the bikes for a 2nd ride and this time i revved as much as i could on the short little test track they offered me to ride it.

//////and this is the important part!

way long time before the redline the ecu shuts the engine to idle! like if u revved up and then hold in the clutch.

i found this out by accelerating fast as i could and then swith to 2nd gear and the bike was stuttering like i kept the clutch in for atleast 1 full second.

the salesman first told me that it might be that its not enough gas in the tank and its gonna be allright when i ride it with more gas.

ofcourse i was very suspicious about this and after all we are in thailand and you cant really trust any salesman down here.

so i went straight to check how much gas was in the tank and it was indeed on low blinking and i also checked the cbr500r gas indicator. this test i found it out during testing the cbr500x (touring off road version) . the cbr500r seemed to had a little bit more gas in it.

how ever i managed to talked the info out of the salesman and he told me hondas cbr500 series bikes are programmed to shut off engine response at 9000 rpm!! .

he said that honda decieded to do this cause of costumers driving the shit out of the engines and claiming it within the 1st engine warranty year.

please keep this in mind if you consider buying the 2013 cbr500 series.

• 2 months later...

Do you know if that will work without any other ramifications?

If you did that to the CBR 150 the plug would melt.

europe got different colors than the rest of the world.

they have silver cbr500r as well over there.

Looks quite nice too as it's sort of a charcoal shade.

IMG_1646.jpg

Not quite in the league of the charcoal R6... but not a bad colour effort. :)

I have a 500F and I must say, it's a great bike.

Also, because it's not a Kawa or a Suzuki, it won't fall to pieces on me.

hehe hoho haha ...... excuse me for laughing out loud but in what world are you living ?

Do you know if that will work without any other ramifications?

If you did that to the CBR 150 the plug would melt.

I did it when i got the bike done about 5k no problems.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1