How To Buy A Router With Multiple Ethernet Sockets To Replace A Single Outlet?

Trevor25222

Problem: I will be staying with a friend who has a cheap broadband router with only one ethernet outlet, whereas we need at least two for simultaneous use by 2 different Apple computers. We don't like to use wireless internet for health reasons (EMF wave exposure).

How can I identify the type of router to purchase, preferably secondhand, with 2 or more ethernet outlets? Is there much inter-compatibility between ISPs these days, or must the replacement router be the exact same specification? Or is there any other way of piggy-backing 2 ethernet lines into one router outlet? Apologies for my ignorance and thanks for any tips.

Edited by Trevor25222

Just buy a cheap 4 port switch. Plug the router and 2 pcs in. Job done.

Something like this ... ?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c5745915c

Will it give me 2 distinct ethernet lines for simultaneous use by 2 Macs from the single ethernet outlet of a cheap broadband router? I was originally under the impression that single ethernet outlets could not be split or shared. Anyway, good news if they can ... saves buying a new, multiport router just to get an extra line.

Edited by Trevor25222

Just buy a cheap 4 port switch. Plug the router and 2 pcs in. Job done.

Something like this ... ?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c5745915c

Will it give me 2 distinct ethernet lines for simultaneous use by 2 Macs from the single ethernet outlet of a cheap broadband router? I was originally under the impression that single ethernet outlets could not be split or shared. Anyway, good news if they can ... saves buying a new, multiport router just to get an extra line.

But 5 port switches from Dlink or another reliable brand are only 350Baht in at Panthip or Tukcom

Do these multi-port switches all require a power supply, or do the simpler ones with fewer ports -- I only need 2 -- work without?

A switch needs a power supply, and I don't think they make them with less than 5 ports.

Thanks ... obviously worth buying locally for cheapness and compatibility with wall sockets (power outlets).

Problem: I will be staying with a friend who has a cheap broadband router with only one ethernet outlet, whereas we need at least two for simultaneous use by 2 different Apple computers. We don't like to use wireless internet for health reasons (EMF wave exposure).

How can I identify the type of router to purchase, preferably secondhand, with 2 or more ethernet outlets? Is there much inter-compatibility between ISPs these days, or must the replacement router be the exact same specification? Or is there any other way of piggy-backing 2 ethernet lines into one router outlet? Apologies for my ignorance and thanks for any tips.

Just a quick note if you are in a condo or apartment complex there are likely 15 or so wifi neighboring networks criss crossing the apartment at all times.

• Like 1

I was originally under the impression that single ethernet outlets could not be split or shared. Anyway, good news if they can ... saves buying a new, multiport router just to get an extra line.

No problem as others have said. A switch is "intelligent" and remembers which node (probably a computer) attached to the switch requested the data. When the data returns, the switch sends it only to the node which requested it, avoiding packet collisions and keeping everything orderly.

A computer requests data when, for example, its email client triggers send/receive, or the user clicks on a link in a web page, or uses an FTP client or anything else.

One of the most wonderful things about routers and switches is that they won't/can't allow anything into the network which wasn't first requested by a node in that network. That creates a very effective firewall. You didn't request a hacker? He can't get in. There was no outgoing request. You have to "do something" to allow malware or hacker into your computer. You have to request something, and you can be careful what and from where you request it.

I cannot reconcile the fact that we've had ethernet only since 1980. It does not seem possible. Time flies.