Friend Wanted For Dwi In Us, Coming To Pattaya

johnwise

DWI is a 3rd no-accident involved outta texas..which is a felony...is there any conceivable way this could cause him/her problem during his/her stay in Thailand and my friend could be deported back to the US to get hammered? Friend has adequate funds, and a fresh 10 year passport book and card and wants to stay long term in SE Asia...and intends on following the law to a T...but wants to make sure every possible base is covered so as to avoid any chance of potentially being sent back the US...thanks...and PS, this really is my friend I'm talking about, and not me! Hahaha! :)

I sincerely hope you hear something on TV that keeps him/her away.

In my book, one DWI is an egregious and reprehensible but ultimately forgivable mistake. Barring some mitigating factor(s) that I can't imagine, 3 is a truly ugly pattern of behavior that needs to be harshly punished and it's impossible for me not to think very ill of someone who'd be guilty of it. Especially when one considers how many times he/she must have got away with it.

We've got enough sleaze on the run over here.

(I'll bet he/she said he/she planned on following the law to a T after his/her first DWI conviction. And the next one as well...)

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 2

One assumes "your friend" will be doing a runner going on the lam then ?....seeing as this is a federal case, one assumes the possible jail time is 12 months or greater ?

then if they really want him in the US they will get him and extradite him back if they know were he is, not hard to find someone, these days, if you are really looking and have the resources...ie the sort of thing federal govemrents have...thumbsup.gif

and of course you know its going to be problematic when "your friend comes" to renew his passport dont you ?

and you do know "your friend" will not be able to set foot in the US at any point, without running a serious risk of being arrested on the spot

The advice I would be giving "My friend" is think very long and hard about what they are intending to do

So the question here will be.... How badly do they want him back in the US ?

Edited by Soutpeel

Being wanted he can be arrested and deported at any time. The only qustion is if he is on an international warrent list, but when his passport is expired he will find himself in trouble anyway.

I wonder if the statute of limitations will run out before he needs a new passport.

Is there an outstanding warrant for your friend ? If not, then he should be ok .

One suspects there will be a federal warrant on him...typically for extradition from another country one of the rules is whether the offense concerned would have resulted in a prision sentence equal to or great than 12 months duration, if less than this, typically international extradition will not be sought...

Seeing as this is a 3rd offense and now under federal, one suspects the sentance would be more than 12 months in jail, therefore if they find out where he is they could request arrest/extradition.

Being wanted he can be arrested and deported at any time. The only qustion is if he is on an international warrent list, but when his passport is expired he will find himself in trouble anyway.

I wonder if the statute of limitations will run out before he needs a new passport.

If he is on lam there is no statute of limitations....if he walks back in the US in 30 years time, they will still have him...wink.png

Thanks for the feedback everyone smile.png

So the question here will be.... How badly do they want him back in the US?

Not badly at all...the DWI was totally routine...there was no accident, nobody got injured...so, I think the odds of Interpol being involved somehow is less than zero...what concerns me though is how quickly Thailand deports anyone that they discover is wanted...I've read about quite a few cases where a suspect was apprehended, and then the next day, was sent back to the US! No extradition hearing, nothing. Just bam! Back to the US. Of course, Thailand has to be aware in the first place an individual has a warrant, and without a Interpol red notice, I don't know how in the wild world of sports this would be possible...

Edited by johnwise

Not badly at all...the DWI was totally routine...there was no accident, nobody got injured...so, I think the odds of Interpol being involved somehow is less than zero...what concerns me though is how quickly Thailand deports anyone that they discover is wanted...I've read about quite a few cases where a suspect was apprehended, and then the next day, was sent back to the US! No extradition hearing, nothing. Just bam! Back to the US. Of course, Thailand has to be aware in the first place an individual has a warrant, and without a Interpol red notice, I don't know how in the wild world of sports this would be possible...

The US would need to go through legal channels in Thailand to request his removal. They're not likely to do that for a run of the mill DWI.

From personal experience with DWI in Texas, there's absolutely no mitigating factors for a 3-and-up DWI offender. <deleted> is a 'routine' DWI?

Texas DUI Repeat Offenders

If you commit DWI in Texas three times or more, you will be charged with felony DWI.

A felony DUI in Texas entails a fine not to exceed $10,000. You may also be jailed for as little as two years and as long as 10 years. You will be required to perform 160 hour to 600 hours of community service.

In addition, your driver's license will be suspended for between 180 days and two years. The same annual fees that apply to second-time offenses apply to subsequent offenses.

If put on probation, you will have to install a special ignition switch that prevents you from driving drunk.

Unless your buddy is selling up, closing accounts and totally vacating and cutting all ties with the US, he can probably enjoy a few years with some degree of freedom in LOS. As mentioned before, as soon as he applies for a new passport, game over unless he wants to submerge into overstay.... or Cambodia.

Edited by NanLaew

From personal experience with DWI in Texas, there's absolutely no mitigating factors for a 3-and-up DWI offender. <deleted> is a 'routine' DWI?

Texas DUI Repeat Offenders

If you commit DWI in Texas three times or more, you will be charged with felony DWI.

A felony DUI in Texas entails a fine not to exceed $10,000. You may also be jailed for as little as two years and as long as 10 years. You will be required to perform 160 hour to 600 hours of community service.

In addition, your driver's license will be suspended for between 180 days and two years. The same annual fees that apply to second-time offenses apply to subsequent offenses.

If put on probation, you will have to install a special ignition switch that prevents you from driving drunk.

Unless your buddy is selling up, closing accounts and totally vacating and cutting all ties with the US, he can probably enjoy a few years with some degree of freedom in LOS. As mentioned before, as soon as he applies for a new passport, game over unless he wants to submerge into overstay.... or Cambodia.

Just to be clear: when I spoke of "mitigating factors" I did not mean ones that would or should be recognized and provided for by the judicial system, I was speaking (as I had meant to be clear in context) of some hard to imagine hypothetical fact or facts that would lessen MY personal condemnation of the crime.

Again, to me there's no excuse for 3 DUI's or any other equally horribly selfish behavior that endangers the lives and limbs of so many innocents.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap