P A D Leaders Plead Not Guilty In Trials Over 2008 Protests

webfact

PAD leaders plead not guilty in trials over 2008 protests

Anuphan Chanatana,

Kesinee Taengkhiao

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- In two separate trials yesterday, nine yellow-shirt leaders pleaded not guilty to criminal violations in connection with the 2008 protests at Government House and Parliament.

The Criminal Court has scheduled April 29 to examine evidence in the two cases.

In the first case, prosecutors contend that four People's Alliance for Democracy leaders incited members of the group to trespass and encroach on the grounds of Government House to pressure then-prime minister Samak Sundaravej to resign.

The incident took place from August 26 to December 3, 2008. The defendants are Sondhi Limthongkul, Chamlong Srimuang, Somkiat Pongpaiboon and Pibhop Dhongchai. The indictments relate to Articles 83, 91, 358, 362 and 365 of the Criminal Code. The first two indictments relate to the defendants' alleged roles in the incident; the remaining charges involve alleged destruction of property, trespassing and encroachment.

If they are found guilty, penalties range from one to three years in jail for each count.

In the second trial, the prosecution brought eight charges against five defendants involved in the blockade of Parliament from October 5-7, 2008. The charges involve Articles 83, 91, 116, 215, 216, 309 and 310 of the Criminal Code,

The five defendants are Sondhi, Somkiat, Pibhop, Maleerat Kaewka and Prapan Kunmee. The key charges relate to illegal assembly, breach of the peace, coercion and illegal detention. Penalties vary from six months to seven years in jail per count.

At press time, the defence team had sought and expected bail for the yellow-shirt leaders pending outcome of the two trials.

In another development, lead prosecutor Prayuth Po Satayarak said an appellate review had on December 11 upheld the conviction of yellow-shirt protester Preecha Treecharoon for attempted murder, but handed him a much harsher sentence of 34 years in prison.

A lower court had found Preecha guilty of using a truck to run over a police officer in charge of crowd control on October 7, 2008, near Parliament. Citing Preecha's confession and injuries he sustained during the incident - which caused him to lose his sight - as grounds for leniency, the court sentenced him to a suspended prison term.

The appellate review, however, amended the sentence to 34 years in jail.

Meanwhile, the Criminal Court also sentenced red-shirt leader Somchai Paiboon to one year in prison for inciting violence against anti-riot forces during the 2010 political mayhem.

In outlining its decision, the court found Somchai guilty of leading crowds to attack anti-riot forces violently at the Kok Wua Intersection and Democracy Monument on Rajdamnoen Avenue in Bangkok on April 10, 2010.

Somchai's offences mostly concerned prohibitions against assembly under the emergency law.

After the sentencing session, Somchai sought and received Bt100,000 bail pending an appellate review.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-28

Amazing Thailand, 34 years for attempted murder and one year in prison for inciting violence against anti-riot forces during the 2010 political mayhem. Seems colour does make a difference.

Edited by waza
  • Like 2

In the first case, prosecutors contend that four People's Alliance for Democracy leaders incited members of the group to trespass and encroach on the grounds of Government House to pressure then-prime minister Samak Sundaravej to resign.

A few of the red leaders would be sweating over this case and hoping that the PAD leaders will be found not guilty.

• Like 2

A few of the red leaders would be sweating over this case and hoping that the PAD leaders will be found not guilty.

No. Each case will be ajudicated on its own merits.

Yes. And video of red shirt leaders inciting protesters would seem to merit some sweating.

• Like 1

I admire your faith in Thai justice!

He says with authority. I might remind, you ARE living in Thailand.

When is Thailand going to grow up and Deal With Real Issues facing this Country Instead of Petty rubbish served up on daily basis.

I think the people of Thailand have had a Gut Full of Childish Political Accusations year in year out ...I know i have .crazy.gif .....How about dealing with real issues facing this Nation in 2013 please mfr_closed1.gif

Btw what happened to the yellow shirts, who occupied the airport??? Forgotten already???whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Did the airlines get compensated??? What happened??? Forgotten?!?whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Still going through courts. This one is the same time frame.

Sent from my HTC phone.

I wonder if they'd pleaded guilty if it would have humiliated the 2010 red rebels into accepting some reciprocal responsibility in accounting for actions under law.

That said,.. answering my own question I have to say I doubt very much whether such a noble admission would have been appreciated or responded to with anything but disdain, guilt and blame along with self exoneration!

Sondhi been sentenced to over 20 years in the can now and I keep seeing his face on ASTV. How is it hes not in jail

amazing isn't it?

we even have posters here who suggest that if thaksin had stayed at the time he would have got the same treatment ie. not seen the inside of a cell - lol

Sondhi been sentenced to over 20 years in the can now and I keep seeing his face on ASTV. How is it hes not in jail

Using Potjaman's lawyer perhaps? He kept her out of jail for years following conviction and sentencing .

Edited by Buchholz

Using Potjaman's lawyer perhaps? He kept her out of jail for years following conviction and sentencing .

yeah right, perhaps, or maybe sondhi has better connections.

where have you been buchlolz? i've missed you terribly.