33 Dead As " Seven Dangerous Days " Of New Year's Break Begin: Thailand

webfact

Its not just Thailand.

Check out road deaths in Uk,so far over the festive season.

They have a stringent testing process in place.

Yes, UK in 2011 approx 2,000 road deaths and population of 62,641,000, compared to around 12,000 in Thailand with a population of 69,518,555. Huge difference.

12000/365 = 32.87. Seems 33 is about average for the daily carnage.

I would hazard a wager that the figures been given daily right now are vastly underestimating the true count as it is just not credible that every death and accident is being reported by every police station or emergency response team across the Kingdom.

Do you really believe that there are still no provinces in the whole of Thailand that have not had a single accident because that is what is being told.

If, and it's a big if, the annual 33 a day death toll is true then that is compiled from a whole years statistics. Now we have a figure of approximately the same number but produced nationwide in just a few hours. I for one just don't believe it and here's one reason why. Where I used to live was reported to have a zero body count one day when I know for a fact of two young guys who died in a motorcycle smash.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove back from Kalasin today...probably had one of my most pleasant drives of the year. Many U-turns shut off, not too many people, no cops, etc. I wish it could be like this every time I go and visit the in-laws.

Kalasin to BKK: 6 hours

I've just got in from a quick run into Ranong. I jerk tailgating me so close I could just see the Toyota badge.Approaching a right angle turn to the right. This other fool comes round that over the wight line on my side of the road. I braked but 2 seconds earlier, I'd have been a sandwich. The guy behind must have shit himself. He dropped way back, almost 500 meters rolleyes.gif I think some of them started a bit early on the booze.

Maybe try making the driving test for both bikes and cars to a better standard as the test the country has is a joke, stevie wonder could pass both of them. IMO this is the reason there are some many deaths on the roads here serious lack of education on road safety and pretty much everything else.

To add, I think annual car safety checks would help things. Whether it's broken or non-working tail lights, bat mobile black smoke emissions, or bald tires, it would definitely help. Although bribing your way out of the safety check is another story.

Speed regulators on any large commercial vehicles would also be nice. I cringe when seeing double decker tour busses fly by at over 120kph.

Well some idiot had aftermarket white brake lights the other day. That will wake you up pretty rapidly.

Maybe try making the driving test for both bikes and cars to a better standard as the test the country has is a joke, stevie wonder could pass both of them. IMO this is the reason there are some many deaths on the roads here serious lack of education on road safety and pretty much everything else.

To add, I think annual car safety checks would help things. Whether it's broken or non-working tail lights, bat mobile black smoke emissions, or bald tires, it would definitely help. Although bribing your way out of the safety check is another story.

Speed regulators on any large commercial vehicles would also be nice. I cringe when seeing double decker tour busses fly by at over 120kph.

Well some idiot had aftermarket white brake lights the other day. That will wake you up pretty rapidly.

A few years ago we had an idiot with a red headlight lens on his motorbike.

A few years ago we had an idiot with a red headlight lens on his motorbike.

There are a couple like that in our village. Absolute lunacy.