Authentic Experience!

willowkahuna

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Thailand From late Feb to late March but want to focus on the cultural experiences rather than stick with touristy places.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for this type of trip? We are mid 20’s and want to go exploring rather than drinking

and lounging around. We were looking at doing Real Gap which offered volunteering and travel but we didn’t hear great things about

the organization and thought it would be too on the touristy side for what we were looking for.

Ideally we want to involve volunteering in our trip. My boyfriend is a brick layer and I am keen to get to orphanages/ schools to lend a hand so if anyone has any recommendations that would be a great help!

Thanks in advance !

Most of these types of packages are very touristy. Groups are brought in every week or so. Hardly authentic. One big issue is a work permit. If you do go with an organization like this, make sure that is setup. Some volunteers here during the tsunami got into a bit of hot water over this. Just a heads up.

• Like 1

If you come across an unspoilt area of Thailand that you enjoy, whatever you do don't write a blog etc it will be changed forever within a few years by hundreds, if not thousands of travelers/backpackers.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

On second thought.

Maybe plan a trip to Laos,or Vietnam,with only a short stop in Thailand.

Volunteering trips cost a fortune,in Thailand,if using an agency.

Your young,invest in a good guide book.

If going to Vietnam obtain a visa before travel.

Remember/be aware that ANY type of work, paid or unpaid, volunteering etc requires a valid work permit.

Get it right or you may well end up staying in Thailand a lot longer than you planned.

Any decent organisations will knows this and provide the paperwork. Noble and admirable as wandering into an orphanage or helping out etc may be, make sure you have the paperwork or there may be serious consequences.

Edited by CharlieH

Do you think the real Thailand is some remote town? some deep jungle up some mountain? Hills tribes? Do you hope to have it handed to you? Thats no adventure! Perhaps learn some basic words 1st. The real Thailand is in the eye of the beholder.

Go forth and find ye own. Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 1

Don't get to hung up on romantic notions of authenticity. The more you try to avoid what you perceive as inauthentic the more contrived your experience begins to feel. Just take your time and observe everything. Take time to hang out in the big cities, the isolated beaches, the small towns, and the busy resorts. It's all the "real" Thailand.

• Like 1

Travel light, rent a motorbike and head to the country side.

eat as road side shops and stands. stay at little guest houses.

If you do rent a scooter, make sure your travel insurance covers it. Most don't here in Thailand. If hurt, you could be responsible for a big hospital bill. If unable to pay, the consequences are dire.

• Like 2

Hi, guys, don't give too much credence to nay-sayers . . . there are plenty of authentic experiences to be had. I live here, and have had many decades of experience with the "real" Thailand, ever since being tossed (Peace Corps) for two years into a town where no one else spoke English. Just got back from a cycling trip along the Mekong, that's one way to do it, but maybe a little too advanced if you've never been here before. I just wrote a piece, though, in The Nation, describing a great outfit in southern Thailand which started as a tsunami relief group and now works to promote "responsible tourism," largely through volunteer opportunities. This is Andaman Discoveries, based in Khuraburi, Phang Nga Province. They work with orphanages, for one thing, and also construction projects. There are other groups, as well, as other posters have mentioned . . . this just happens to be the best one I know about. Good luck, and enjoy.

Edited by montrii
  • Like 1

Not sure when in Feb you plan on coming...

But there is a volunteer organization that brings in clowns and performers to the children in refugee camps in Mae Sot, they may need some help?

You can find their contact details and more details on the below websites

http://www.sparkcircus.org/

http://www.indiegogo.com/Spark2013?c=home

If this doesn't fit your time line, there are many other things you can do to help

Perhaps something on the below website may spark your interest

http://www.freevolunteering.co.uk/index/asia-volunteer-abroad/thailand-volunteer-opportunities