The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

I need to see the new Yayoi at Central Marina to maybe see the difference, but the Yayoi at Central Festival is also a teishoku restaurant.  Interesting that Yayoi has different levels of service.   I've eaten many times at Yayoi in Hua Hin and twice at Central Festival in Pattaya, and quite like the food.

I need to see the new Yayoi at Central Marina to maybe see the difference, but the Yayoi at Central Festival is also a teishoku restaurant.  Interesting that Yayoi has different levels of service.   I've eaten many times at Yayoi in Hua Hin and twice at Central Festival in Pattaya, and quite like the food.

It's definitely a different concept at Marina. I don't think very much of Yayoi beach. Look at the menu pictures on the link about the branch in California. I think very similar to Marina and you can see from that more extensive and my guess at least somewhat better quality.

19 hours ago, DannyTheWriter said:

I know. We live nearby and have been many times in the past. This time it felt like a significant downturn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totally agree about this place. For years, it was my go to place for Thai food, loved the place late at night.

But something went tits up a little over a year ago, everything went downhill-food, service.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK. Can now fully confirm they are different level concepts. The beach one is branded Hot and Quick and is much much smaller. Marina is branded Teishoku Japanese restaurant and is rather huge.

Interesting, Yayoi, although a Japanese chain, in Thailand it is run by the MK group and my impression is that the price is cheaper and the aim for clientele is below that of Fuji's 

Teishoku just means 'set menu' 

Not that they wouldn't try to take it slightly upmarket of course,

Even the MK hot pot restaurants have differing levels of service like MK Gold which is supposed to be posh

• Like 1

It's on my agenda to check out the new, upscale Yayoi and compare it with the ones I'm familiar with.  I usually have the dory teishoku set and am curious if the new one has it, and if so, at what price/

11 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

It's on my agenda to check out the new, upscale Yayoi and compare it with the ones I'm familiar with.  I usually have the dory teishoku set and am curious if the new one has it, and if so, at what price/

Well, that's good. 

For me, there are so many great food choices in that part of town, and not only at the new mall, that it might be some time before I try it!

3 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Your cheap dory is a dirty pangasius from vietnam...

In case you don't know, even what they call wasabi is not the real stuff at all cheap Jap restaurants...

Google is your friend !

Edited by amjamj
  • Like 2

I dont think that Yayoi Thai, US and Japan are related...

Anyway this is shiiiite food and no Japanese would ever it there (in Thailand).

You may be right but it looked superficially pretty impressive at Marina. Of course it's for the Thai market.

46 minutes ago, amjamj said:

In case you don't know, even what they call wasabi is not the real stuff at all cheap Jap restaurants...

And in 95-99% of "Jap" restaurants in Japan. Duh. Seems awfully important to you to disparage a place you haven't even tried. Now why is that.

Google is your friend !

2 hours ago, amjamj said:

I dont think that Yayoi Thai, US and Japan are related...

Anyway this is shiiiite food and no Japanese would ever it there (in Thailand).

I'l be sure to tell my Japanese friends who've eaten there, that they haven't.  :whistling:

• Like 1

There are definitely some places in town that cater largely to Japanese. They've been mentioned before here. 

Other than Thai Asian food done for Thai tastes is definitely a big commercial thing in Thailand. Like that ersatz Korean BBQ chain in Central Pattaya beach. Anyone that knows and loves real deal Korean food wouldn't be happy there and happily there are a number of local places that do have the real deal and cater mostly to Koreans.  Not all such places are that "bad" with "bad" defined as being places the actual nationals wouldn't generally like. 

Edited by Jingthing

15 minutes ago, Becker said:

A heads-up for the resident lovers of Mexican food. Will your dreams come true?:whistling:

https://www.facebook.com/DavesCantinaPattaya/

Thanks. That does look promising but given it's location, not sure I'll ever make it there!

It's see it's on Soi Regional Land Office. How far from the intersection of that road and 3rd road is it? 

Edited by Jingthing

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks. That does look promising but given it's location, not sure I'll ever make it there!

It's see it's on Soi Regional Land Office. How far from the intersection of that road and 3rd road is it? 

It's about 6-700 metres. After all your complaining about what's on offer in Pattaya are you saying that you won't go there even if it turns out the place serves great Mexican ???:biggrin:

1 minute ago, Becker said:

It's about 6-700 metres. After all your complaining about what's on offer in Pattaya are you saying that you won't go there even if it turns out the place serves great Mexican ???:biggrin:

I would want to go there but there are a lot of rabid soi dogs in that vicinity.

7 hours ago, Becker said:

JT and Baht buses are a no-go :saai:

32 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I would want to go there but there are a lot of rabid soi dogs in that vicinity.

Then just don't go into the bars there - problem solved!:tongue:

On a more serious note I have been walking and driving a motorbike on that soi for the last 10 years and never had a problem with soi dogs.

Shama Lama Ding Dong

Portuguese, Thai, "Mexican", burgers

http://www.pattayamail.com/diningout/shama-lama-ding-dong-really-159063

Hey this is the old Hit and Run which mean most anything goes as long as it's related to local restaurants.

I just saw this item in Pattaya Mail and it's sounds fairly exciting to me.

Mainly about the Portuguese offerings.

I think it's the only place town now with any  Portuguese food.

I don't see mention of bacalao though (dried codfish) ... too bad, I love  Portuguese bacalao dishes. You can get bacalao done  Norweigan style in town, but not the same!

OK I put Mexican in cheeky quotes, because, well Portuguese doing Mexican food, come on now ... but whatever they're doing, maybe it's good. (Hope springs eternal.)

But I do see the classic Cane do Porco Alentejana (pork with clams) at B. 250. 

Will definitely be checking this place out!

5 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Always been a bit of a mish mash.

The link mixes the old and the new. Perhaps some new menu items. 
The desserts/coffee sweets look really good. Too bad I'm not a  dessert person. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 12/24/2016 at 10:28 AM, Jingthing said:

They only like fresh young meat JT so no problem :thumbsup:

enjoy the festive season and can we look at a new face in your avatar please? the current one would frighten even the most hardened soi dog :cheesy:

• Like 1

There are definitely some places in town that cater largely to Japanese. They've been mentioned before here. 

Other than Thai Asian food done for Thai tastes is definitely a big commercial thing in Thailand. Like that ersatz Korean BBQ chain in Central Pattaya beach. Anyone that knows and loves real deal Korean food wouldn't be happy there and happily there are a number of local places that do have the real deal and cater mostly to Koreans.  Not all such places are that "bad" with "bad" defined as being places the actual nationals wouldn't generally like. 

Agreed. My family used to like Fuji, until they went to Yamato.

They like the ersatz Korean, but I think they'd actually prefer real Korean. I've seen a bunch around town. Any opinions on which is best?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/24/2016 at 5:13 PM, Jingthing said:

Not so far but quite dead street. But maybe Thai know and enjoy Mexican food ? (but I don't know)

No automatic alt text available.

But really, people still get only 9000 as base salary when working in a restaurant ???!

We are hiring service staff. The waitstaff must be able to speak and understand English as most of the customers will be Westerners. Her duties include taking orders from customers, delivering food and drinks to the tables, and clearing tables when the customers are done eating and drinking. Cleaning the restaurant and washing dishes will also be required. Salary includes base salary, plus overtime pay and tips. Base salary is 9,000 baht/month.

Found here:

https://www.facebook.com/DavesCantinaPattaya/

Edited by BsBs

BABA EATING HOUSE, PATTAYA / NAKLUA ROAD. Just had a very good meal here. From Dolphin roundabout it is just past Aiyara Hotel. It is a small cafè type place serving home made food: burgers, salads, quiches, wraps, pasta and pies. I had a smoked salmon salad for 240 Baht which included various lettuce leaves, quinoa, cauliflower, beetroot and roast pumpkin. The creamy dressing was top notch. I finished with apple crumble and ice cream and that was truly scrumptious. The coffee I had was excellent. Service was very good and the lady serving me spoke fluent English. This is a handy place for me and will certainly get my custom again. They sell their own sourdough breads along with cakes and quiches. RECCOMENDED.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1