The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

5 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I'd avoid it like the plague. Oriented towards Chinese tourists.

Well, in this case you might be right about avoiding it because it was clear from the ads that it's a very EXPENSIVE restaurant.

But as far all local Chinese restaurants targeting Chinese tourists (independent ones rather than bus buffets) I totally disagree with you. Some of the best Chinese restaurants in town fit that description now but of not all of them are good and reasonably priced. But SOME are. 

In fact, THANKS to the boom in Chinese tourism now, it now can be said Pattaya has a number of quite decent Chinese food choices and their existence is clearly the reason for that. Similar to the boom in Indian restaurants. Not all of them good of course, but the huge scene wouldn't exist without Indian tourist masses. 

At this point, somewhat oddly I'd say the ratio of open to the public Indian restaurants might be ten times such Chinese restaurants, but that's changing, with the Chinese places trending up. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, in this case you might be right about avoiding it because it was clear from the ads that it's a very EXPENSIVE restaurant.

But as far all local Chinese restaurants targeting Chinese tourists (independent ones rather than bus buffets) I totally disagree with you. Some of the best Chinese restaurants in town fit that description now but of not all of them are good and reasonably priced. But SOME are. 

In fact, THANKS to the boom in Chinese tourism now, it now can be said Pattaya has a number of quite decent Chinese food choices and their existence is clearly the reason for that. Similar to the boom in Indian restaurants. Not all of them good of course, but the huge scene wouldn't exist without Indian tourist masses. 

I've rarely found restaurants catering exclusively to tourists to be any good. No repeat customers, under the table payments to get customers in, etc.

The best ones cater to locals primarily.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I've rarely found restaurants catering exclusively to tourists to be any good. No repeat customers, under the table payments to get customers in, etc.

The best ones cater to locals primarily.

You don't get out much then. Pattaya is a tourism city. There is a huge social media scene only for Chinese and Indians. Some of these places are doing better quality and seeking repeat customers and they couldn't have a decent social media reputation if they were total ripoffs. Of course, decent Chinese or Indian food here is always going to be relatively pricier than basic Thai food. This is Thailand after all. 

I get where you're coming from though. There ARE lots of total tourist traps. The Thai food at such places is also priced at tourist trap prices, selling that they're catering to Chinese people language-wise. But I think you haven't explored enough if you think that all such places are like that. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

You don't get out much then. Pattaya is a tourism city. There is a huge social media scene only for Chinese and Indians. Some of these places are doing better quality and seeking repeat customers. 

Be nice. You know I get out a lot. The absolute worst restaurants I've tried have been oriented to tourists. Foreigners who live in the city aren't tourists.

Just ate at one the other day. Over priced and horrible.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Be nice. You know I get out a lot. The absolute worst restaurants I've tried have been oriented to tourists. Foreigners who live in the city aren't tourists.

I'm telling you there is good stuff now.

An idea for you -- Sichuan restaurant in Marina Mall. This is from a chain now out of Bangkok, where it gets excellent reviews by Chinese people as being comparable to food served in China. Not cheap, hardly a tourist trap, and the majority of customers are clearly Chinese tourists. But best to bring a translator app or you might be ordering intestines by accident. Cheers. 

BTW -- they have promotions on all the time. You can get their 200 baht mapo tofu (one of the best versions in town) for only 100 baht. But, watch out, the place is plus plus. Something on their regular menu which is a really an amazing bargain, regular price is only 100 baht for a plate of excellent boiled dumplings (two choices of filling). Often the same dish is 200 other places. 

Here's about their Bangkok location. Exact same menu and promotions --

https://foursquare.com/v/sichuan-restaurant-川味坊/4f687fbae4b0eebfb4fe987e

Forgetting the luxury hotel restaurants (too rich for me) comparing the Chinese food options here now compared to five years ago is like night and day. Not talking about western style Chinese food of course. That's a niche market that doesn't interest me much. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

To add can you please mention the place you found overpriced and horrible? Good chance we would agree but even if not that info on your opinion could be useful to readers.
Be clear our major point of disagreement isn't about that such places exist but that there are exceptions. The price thing is harder though as the Chinese food here is usually not cheap. But I'm cool with not cheap if good.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

To add can you please mention the place you found overpriced and horrible? Good chance we would agree but even if not that info on your opinion could be useful to readers.
Be clear our major point of disagreement isn't about that such places exist but that there are exceptions. The price thing is harder though as the Chinese food here is usually not cheap. But I'm cool with not cheap if good.

It was near the tiger park on Sukhumvit. Went with our friends from Hong Kong. According to them, the best Chinese food is in Bangkok.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

It was near the tiger park on Sukhumvit. Went with our friends from Hong Kong. According to them, the best Chinese food is in Bangkok.

Thanks. I don't know that place. I would agree the Chinese food options are better in Bangkok, of course. But it amazes me how much better the scene has gotten here and also how rare it is to see westerners at the better places here. Yes, it takes effort dealing with the menus, but for those that like Chinese food, it's worth it. 

On the menu language issues, I'm assuming many westerners also think that maybe they aren't welcome. That might be a good reason to avoid even trying. Well, I have a lot of experience with that. There are indeed some places where you won't be welcome but that is usually because they are group tours only places. In other cases, the staff might just be nervous about dealing with you. Otherwise, in the majority of places the reception is either indifferent (not hostile / not over-friendly) or genuine warmness. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks. I don't know that place. I would agree the Chinese food options are better in Bangkok, of course. But it amazes me how much better the scene has gotten here and also how rare it is to see westerners at the better places here. Yes, it takes effort dealing with the menus, but for those that like Chinese food, it's worth it. 

Your efforts here are fantastic. I read every post and have gone to many recommend here. A huge THANKS!

I'm in a bit of a difficult position as my wife is an amazing cook. She's been to over 70 countries and routinely makes dishes that come from her travels. My HK friends are both amazing chefs also. So when we do go out,  it's got to be good! LOL

:jap:

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Your efforts here are fantastic. I read every post and have gone to many recommend here. A huge THANKS!

I'm in a bit of a difficult position as my wife is an amazing cook. She's been to over 70 countries and routinely makes dishes that come from her travels. My HK friends are both amazing chefs also. So when we do go out,  it's got to be good! LOL

:jap:

Aw shucks. Thanks for the complement. 

You know, making "recommendations" is always risky. 

Conditions in restaurants can change really quickly.

If it was good a month ago, it might be crap now.

Sometimes places even get better!

Then there is the inconsistency. 

Often a decent place has some very good dishes mixed in with poor dishes.

If someone goes and orders badly (more like unlucky) they might conclude a place is worthless.

Anyway, not sure I mentioned this place before.

Another example of a quite decent Chinese restaurant, not cheap, not a tourist trap, where most of the customers are Chinese tourists.

JUXIANNGE

In North Pattaya, in the same outdoor mall as Bibimbap (which I don't recommend). Burger King on the corner. North of Marina Mall.

http://www.thebibimbab.com/?pages=contact

This is another place with a lot of Sichuan dishes, but not only. Most dishes are quite good. A highlight there for me is a CHINESE BREAD that is baked and stuffed with a mixture of spiced mung bean noodles and pork. It's the only place in town that I know of that has Chinese bread like that. Oddly, their flat leek bread is not nearly as good. I would suggest people go there just for the bread but order some other things with some sauces to dip it in. Perhaps the spicy tofu hot pot.

Their in house made NOODLES in soups are also excellent. Better than Grandma's Kitchen recently mentioned, but also more expensive.

My point about the Chinese tourists is simply this. Without the massive increase in Chinese tourists, the Chinese restaurant BOOM would have never happened here. Of those new restaurants, some, in my opinion, are actually GOOD! So I give thanks to the Chinese tourists, but not so much to the ones on group tours in coaches. 

Just to keep it real, here is an example of a Chinese restaurant that depends on Chinese tourists that I would not recommend:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d10802709-Reviews-Fu_Man_Lou-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

But my feeling about that place is based on older experiences so I can't speak to the question on whether they've improved. I won't bother as there are other places that I'm sure work for me better. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Just tried that “Easy Health” on 3rd road opposite Soi Lengkee. Nice healthy menu options and smoothies etc.

https://www.facebook.com/easyhealththailand/

I haven't tried yet as the food looks kind of boring to me but I just noticed they joined eatigo.com offering discounts as much as 50 percent depending on time slot. Their healthy burritos looked interesting though.

Time running out on buy one curry get one free at Ali Baba and Crown of India. Good till end of November. Don't delay!

"Alibaba Tandoori & Curry Restaurant Pattaya Special Promotion

IMPORTANT: To get these specials please say that you seen them on Pattaya Channel TV Or Inspire

Special Promotion also available at Crown of India Restaurant Pattaya"

• Like 1

I haven't tried yet as the food looks kind of boring to me but I just noticed they joined eatigo.com offering discounts as much as 50 percent depending on time slot. Their healthy burritos looked interesting though.

Yes, I had one of the burritos. Very tasty and filling. I agree the way the food is presented makes it look boring somehow.
  • Like 1

OK I can now describe my experience at Ali Baba. The announcement of using the promotion was not met with much pleasure. I decided to go all Goan. Had the Goan lamb vindaloo extra spicy and the Goan fish curry supposedly cooked with coconut milk which is supposed to be a milder curry and ordered that way.

The lamb and fish portions were quite small even by Pattaya Indian restaurant standards. Was a change made based on a promotion order? I do not know.

Both curry gravies were thin and watery but that was expected for these two curries.

The vindaloo which of course included potatoes was very flavorful and the best vindaloo I've had in Thailand. Mainly because it had a vinegar element which it's supposed to but usually doesn't in Thailand.

The fish curry was less impressive. I could taste no coconut milk at all. I even complained but they insisted it was there. It was not mild which was OK for me but really the flavor was just minimalist with a few pieces of ginger to liven things up. This same dish is so much better at Madras Darbar.

But with very thin curries, plain rice tandoori roti and so little meat it was a pleasantly very light Indian meal.

Without the "free" curry though I would be very unhappy with the total bill. These curries about 350 each on the menu.

It is a plus plus place as is Crown of India. So even with the promotion when you add the add ons which BTW they try to upsell it won't exactly be a cheap Indian place to eat.

To add many Indians I've met rave about Ali Baba. The priced and Indian kitsch decor usually put me off.

Just now, tolsti said:

avoid anything... restaurant or otherwise promoted by Insipid,  

Well, I've eaten at Crown of India before and found it among the more decent Indian restaurants in town. I think a little less pricey than Ali Baba (same owners) but also plus plus. 

4 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

Indian restaurant Rasoi is one of the best around Pattaya, if you haven't tried it yet.

Also, Kokette chicken now has paella, a good addition to their perfectly useless grilled chicken that they do not even know how to cook well.

Indian Rasoi has been mentioned before on the thread, but nobody is expected to read all the history here, so a fresh mention is nice. I haven't been recently but a benefit of eating there is that their prices are somewhat lower than the typical Indian restaurant here. 

Thanks for the news about Kokette. I love me some paella!:partytime2:

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I wasn't kidding that I like me some paella.

So I checked the Kokette facebook page and found they have the paella only on market days, Tuesday and Friday.

I made the big mistake of going for it in the evening. :shock1::sick::sad:

I almost backed out (probably should have) as I could see that it was just sitting there all day waiting for an order to microwave.

It having seafood and some delicate rice, needless to say, microwave wasn't at all kind to it.

The portion was moderate (seemed really small actually compared to their chicken platters)  and served oddly in a bowl. Included was spiced rice, some peas, a lot of chicken (no surprise there for a chicken restaurant), quite small amounts of seafood, squid, prawn, mussel and one small slice of sausage.
Cost was 290 baht.

Yes, I've had world class paella even in Spain, and of course a microwaved bowl of sitting all day paella in Thailand isn't going to compare to that. It's hard to objectively judge the dish if it had been fresh, but my impression is that it would be pretty good when served fresh. To get that, you need to show up at about 11 am or noon on the market days. 

As it was, what is was for me, it was more like JAMBALAYA than paella. But I like Jambalaya.

Anywhere else to get paella in Pattaya? I know I won't be going there at noon  and also I won't be repeating the microwaved sitting all day crap shoot (:shock1:) either. I think the price of 290 is OK if you get it fresh but not for what I got. If it was my business, I would probably just make a small batch for selling out early and if anything is leftover DEEPLY DISCOUNT it.

https://www.facebook.com/kokettepattaya/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Indian Rasoi has been mentioned before on the thread, but nobody is expected to read all the history here, so a fresh mention is nice. I haven't been recently but a benefit of eating there is that their prices are somewhat lower than the typical Indian restaurant here. 

Thanks for the news about Kokette. I love me some paella!:partytime2:

Rasoi is not only honest (prices) but I find the food more authentic than at some more expensive places. Also, when I ask very spicy food, they serve it very spicy. Love it !

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I wasn't kidding that I like me some paella.

So I checked the Kokette facebook page and found they have the paella only on market days, Tuesday and Friday.

I made the big mistake of going for it in the evening. :shock1::sick::sad:

I almost backed out (probably should have) as I could see that it was just sitting there all day waiting for an order to microwave.

It having seafood and some delicate rice, needless to say, microwave wasn't at all kind to it.

The portion was moderate (seemed really small actually compared to their chicken platters)  and served oddly in a bowl. Included was spiced rice, some peas, a lot of chicken (no surprise there for a chicken restaurant), quite small amounts of seafood, squid, prawn, mussel and one small slice of sausage.
Cost was 290 baht.

Yes, I've had world class paella even in Spain, and of course a microwaved bowl of sitting all day paella in Thailand isn't going to compare to that. It's hard to objectively judge the dish if it had been fresh, but my impression is that it would be pretty good when served fresh. To get that, you need to show up at about 11 am or noon on the market days. 

As it was, what is was for me, it was more like JAMBALAYA than paella. But I like Jambalaya.

Anywhere else to get paella in Pattaya? I know I won't be going there at noon  and also I won't be repeating the microwaved sitting all day crap shoot (:shock1:) either. I think the price of 290 is OK if you get it fresh but not for what I got. If it was my business, I would probably just make a small batch for selling out early and if anything is leftover DEEPLY DISCOUNT it.

https://www.facebook.com/kokettepattaya/

Did they microwave it in front of you ?

So many people have no idea how to do their business correctly and then wonder why they close.

290 thb is expensive if it is small, even fresh. Just like their overpriced chicken that has nothing special.

23 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

Rasoi is not only honest (prices) but I find the food more authentic than at some more expensive places. Also, when I ask very spicy food, they serve it very spicy. Love it !

That's why I stopped going there. I asked for very spicy and they served it with no spice even though they knew me. I think it's pretty good but not everything is great, particularly the tandoori chicken and fish. There are so many Indian restaurants in town I really think there are a number of places with better food. But value for money is pretty good. 

To add, my experiences with that place are now quite dated. I will probably return because I like some dishes there and I like the price. But I would be surprised if the food is really much different than before. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

Did they microwave it in front of you ?

So many people have no idea how to do their business correctly and then wonder why they close.

290 thb is expensive if it is small, even fresh. Just like their overpriced chicken that has nothing special.

I want to be fair. That I ate there at all was all on me. I went out of my way for paella and I was hungry. When I got there I could see the paella sitting out there. It was obvious to me it had been sitting for a really long time. My better self would have walked out. Before eating I didn't ask for how long but I suspected the truth I was eventually told. It was cooked at about 11 a.m. to noon and I was there at night. Obviously I wasn't going to eat it cold so it was explained it was going to be microwaved. Nothing hidden. Again, I should have walked. It was probably over microwaved but food like that especially with seafood sitting all day and microwaved wasn't going to be great regardless. Obviously not up to western hygiene standards to put it mildly ... welcome to Thailand. If it was convenient for me I would actually eat it again but only freshly made and like I said it's not convenient for me to be there about noon. But others might want to. Paella is a special food here, it's got special rice, spices, and seafood. I think the price is OK for a special (and rare) dish here. I would expect to pay even more than that here in a more formal restaurant. So I don't blame the restaurant at all for my choice to eat the not at all fresh paella. 

Edited by Jingthing

Coffe club , different location in Pattaya. I tried the one in tukom. Price from the standard menu are high, but they now have a promotion for some Asian food at 99 thb. Tried the Singapore noodles, nice and big portion. Excellent service. For 99 thb is a good addition for lunch.               

Wooden box on tappraya road near the court house. For 95 thb you can get a fresh big salad  and If you pay more can add many different ingredient. The ceasar salad sauce was fantastic and the salad very fresh. I really like the place 

Edited by marino28
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've also had the Singapore Noodles at Tuk Com Coffee Club.

I've been to Singapore. Those ain't Singapore noodles.

:sorry:

Cheap enough sure but in my view still poor value. 

It's weird that there isn't really good Asean neighbor food in town -- Singapore/Malaysian/Burmese/Cambodian/Vietnamese, etc. 

Hoping that new Fusion Bistro place across from the Avenue fills the gap but not really expecting it to. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I've also had the Singapore Noodles at Tuk Com Coffee Club.

I've been to Singapore. Those ain't Singapore noodles.

:sorry:

Cheap enough sure but in my view still poor value. 

It's weird that there isn't really good Asean neighbor food in town -- Singapore/Malaysian/Burmese/Cambodian/Vietnamese, etc. 

Hoping that new Fusion Bistro place across from the Avenue fills the gap but not really expecting it to. 

you are right in the real one the ingredients must be seasoned with curry paste separate from the noodles. I don't think that was the case there.
But the portion was big, in a nice cool enviroment, with excellent service.

i don't wake up in the morning and think to have lunch there, but if i hang around tukom can be a good choice. Next time i am in the area I will try another dish at 99 thb.

what you think is good value for a comparable amount? I am always interested in try new place for lunch. 

I notice that for lunch because there are less cumstomer, there are usually the better promotion, and since i have children, i prefer to go eat out for lunch  when the school is open.

Next in the list will be Marco's on tappraya road.

i don't know about the Fusion Bistro across The Avenue, i will try it in the near future. Thanks for the information.

Edited by marino28