The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

New and sort of "exciting" Isaan food restaurant at Pattaya Central Beach Mall

TUM LAE restaurant

6th floor of the mall

near the Northwest corner

All signage is in THAI (no English)

Menus in THAI only (no English)

A tiny percentage of the large menu is shown in pictures (but the pictures are not always clear as to the contents of the dishes)

OK, so this is a place for Thai speakers, people going with Thais, or those willing to wing it and take some chances

Prices are low/moderate.

I tried an Isaan style Chicken tom yum at 90 baht and a grilled pork neck for 100 baht.

Noticed a fried whole fish dish for 300.

On another table noticed a delicious looking either baked or grilled large chicken leg/thigh.

Taste and quality: EXCELLENT

The place is BUZZING with happy Thai people.

I don't really understand why they don't have English signage or menu in such an INTERNATIONAL location in Pattaya except perhaps it's a sign to Thai people that the food is the REAL Thai deal.

It is indeed the REAL Thai deal.thumbsup.gif

How do you say another Jingthing THUMBS UP ... in Thai?

Edited by Jingthing

Noticed last night that "Jolly Fish and Chips" on Soi Len Kee was closed with a big for sale sign in front. This is the sister property of the what has to be failing Lone Star next door. Selling a failed restaurant or bar has to be a real chore. Can you imagine what they tell you?

There is also a new steak house where the old "China" place was. Nice menu, high prices but Aussie beef.

The Iranian buffet restaurant PARDIS across from Pattaya Beach central mall has been dark for many days now. They had recently raised their prices and appeared to have fewer customers after that.

Closed?

Also the Thai/Euro/Russian "Seafood" buffet restaurant in the mall which I had "reviewed" a while back is now DEFINITELY closed.

Edited by Jingthing

Casa Fellini has opened another restaurant at the old Papa Davids location in Jomtien. They opened 3 days ago but are still in the process of installing their pizza oven. From my experience, the Pattayaland location provides better service and consistency than the Rompo market restaurant. I particularly enjoy their oven baked pastas.

Update on the new Casa Fellini. Good soup, salads, pasta (especially the oven baked). The brick pizza oven is installed. Last night, dining with friends, two of us tried the pizza. Terribly disappointed, since the Soi 13 pizza is such a high standard. Owner blamed it on the learning curve for the new oven(the old one being gas?) The service is good, friendly and we were in and out in a little over an hour. The Rompho location is now independently run by a cousin of the family and will change the name sometime in the not too distant future.

PAO "My Kitchen" Chinese Restaurant on Pattaya Klang now CLOSED PERMANENTLY.

so when does that mean they're open next ??

It means NEVER.

Next ...

you sure ? they've had more comebacks than Status Quo.....

Yes. I'm sure. Please move on from this topic. This thread should not be fixated on gossip about a PERMANENTLY CLOSED RESTAURANT.

I thought it was worthy to post as news.

That's it.

Thank you.

Edited by Jingthing

PAO "My Kitchen" Chinese Restaurant on Pattaya Klang now CLOSED PERMANENTLY.

so when does that mean they're open next ??

It means NEVER.

Next ...

OK! Now across from Big C Extra on Klang there's also restaurant called, I think, Shark's Fin with a Chinese theme outwardly at least. Wonder if anyone's tried it out?

Went to Shanghai on 3rd Rd the other day and it's still good. Unfortunately they chose that lunchtime to clean the air conditioners! Company was doing such a great noisy job that I even got their phone number. Well, anyway, you got really clean air in there now. ;)

• Like 1

I went to a place called "New York Diner" in Soi Buakhao today. It is opposite soi LK Metro/Sugar Sugar A go go. It is fairly new and I liked the nice air con and layout of the place.

Because it's Air Con you can't see if it is open from the street, had to poke my head in the door and ask. This was for breakfast and I ordered an English breakfast.

I got:

A glass of orange juice

2 x pieces of toast with butter and jam

A coffee or tea (I got coffee and it tasted like Nescafe instant which is ok)

2 x fried eggs

2 x sausages about 4 inches long and half an inch diameter (farang style, not Thai 7/11 style)

Baked beans (Not Heinze but more than likely Ayam brand, sweetish but not bad)

Half a fried tomato

4 pieces of back bacon each being about 2 inches square

All for 99 baht.

5 out 5 for the layout and air con in the restaurant

4 out 5 for quality of meal

5 out of 5 for value

At some time I would like to try some other meals there, I only saw Thais operating the restaurant, I don't know if an American owns or runs the place.

• Like 1

OK! Now across from Big C Extra on Klang there's also restaurant called, I think, Shark's Fin with a Chinese theme outwardly at least. Wonder if anyone's tried it out?

Went to Shanghai on 3rd Rd the other day and it's still good. Unfortunately they chose that lunchtime to clean the air conditioners! Company was doing such a great noisy job that I even got their phone number. Well, anyway, you got really clean air in there now. wink.png

Yes I have tried that Shark Fin place and found it a typical Chinese Thai operation. For people seeking an authentic Chinese food menu, I don't think they will be satisfied and needless to say nor will people seeking "Western" Chinese food.

Of course why not try it yourself and see what you think? It is not expensive and the shark fin is not the only thing on the menu. I went once and won't be back so I guess that reflects my personal opinion.

I agree, Shanghai is a treasure for Chinese food lovers in Pattaya. No I don't think it would ever "rate" in actual Shanghai ... but given the Chinese food desert in Pattaya, it stands out as an oasis.

Edited by Jingthing

Went to Shanghai on 3rd Rd the other day and it's still good. Unfortunately they chose that lunchtime to clean the air conditioners! Company was doing such a great noisy job that I even got their phone number. Well, anyway, you got really clean air in there now. wink.png

Yes I have tried that Shark Fin place and found it a typical Chinese Thai operation. For people seeking an authentic Chinese food menu, I don't think they will be satisfied and needless to say nor will people seeking "Western" Chinese food.

Of course why not try it yourself and see what you think? It is not expensive and the shark fin is not the only thing on the menu. I went once and won't be back so I guess that reflects my personal opinion.

I agree, Shanghai is a treasure for Chinese food lovers in Pattaya. No I don't think it would ever "rate" in actual Shanghai ... but given the Chinese food desert in Pattaya, it stands out as an oasis.

Our beloved cess (whoops, almost said a newly-designated wordy dird) city has so many restaurants that are known good (I mean, relatively speaking) that I just bother trying any new ones unless I've read some respected recommendations (!), and I happen to be in the area (or a friend particularly wants to go there). Hence Shanghai, great find. (That place seems like it could use more business; members, get over there and make sure it stays open.) And in fact I almost always eat at home anyway for health reasons. :)

Tnx for your info on Shark's Fin. Sounds like a miss.

• Like 1

Can anyone give me the google coordinates for Shanghai , thanks....

Will clear driving directions suffice? If coming from north pattaya road, turn onto 3rd road and Shanghai will be about 100 meters on your right (opposite side of the street). There is a prominent sign in English so easy to spot. If you pass pattaya sports club you've gone way too far.

I forgot to mention in my post above that they have bottomless cha-yen/lon (20 baht). I have yet to try the sautéed swamp grass...but it looks good!

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Thanks 1

I went to a place called "New York Diner" in Soi Buakhao today. It is opposite soi LK Metro/Sugar Sugar A go go. It is fairly new and I liked the nice air con and layout of the place.

Because it's Air Con you can't see if it is open from the street, had to poke my head in the door and ask. This was for breakfast and I ordered an English breakfast.

I got:

A glass of orange juice

2 x fried eggs

2 x sausages about 4 inches long and half an inch diameter (farang style, not Thai 7/11 style)

Half a fried tomato

All for 99 baht.

5 out of 5 for value

At some time I would like to try some other meals there, I only saw Thais operating the restaurant, I don't know if an American owns or runs the place.

My apologies to the owner and readers, the name of this restaurant is actually "Brooklyn Style Diner" and not New York Diner. Sorry if I caused any inconvenience to anybody.

TUM LAE restaurant

6th floor of the mall

A tiny percentage of the large menu is shown in pictures (but the pictures are not always clear as to the contents of the dishes)

OK, so this is a place for Thai speakers, people going with Thais, or those willing to wing it and take some chances

Prices are low/moderate.

I tried an Isaan style Chicken tom yum at 90 baht and a grilled pork neck for 100 baht.

On another table noticed a delicious looking either baked or grilled large chicken leg/thigh.

I don't really understand why they don't have English signage or menu in such an INTERNATIONAL location in Pattaya except perhaps it's a sign to Thai people that the food is the REAL Thai deal.

Went today - excellent meal for two 290 Baht..

They have both Thai and English menu - you must look local JT.

The Thai menu is the book version and the English one is a large single sheet.

• Like 2

TUM LAE restaurant

6th floor of the mall

Prices are low/moderate.

That's funny. I don't look THAT local! Happy to hear that. Do you think the large sheet of English lists the entire menu?

TUM LAE restaurant

6th floor of the mall

Prices are low/moderate.

That's funny. I don't look THAT local! Happy to hear that. Do you think the large sheet of English lists the entire menu?

Not sure if it was both sides of the sheet ( I think it was ) or if it reflected the whole 'Thai Menu'. I did not have my glasses so my wife ordered. We will certainly be going back.

One dish we had was the chicken you observed. 'Gai Op Ong' ( spelling ) -delicious

Larb Moo Tod - excellent

Soup No Mai - not soup really just the Thai name.

Edited by pontious
  • Like 1

I got:

A glass of orange juice

2 x fried eggs

Half a fried tomato

All for 99 baht.

5 out of 5 for value

My apologies to the owner and readers, the name of this restaurant is actually "Brooklyn Style Diner" and not New York Diner. Sorry if I caused any inconvenience to anybody.

The boss there Manfred is very approachable, he is not an American but knows his American food. He also runs a business selling POS systems for bars and go-gos from above the restaurant.

When I was there during songkran the food was good, I had pasta and a glass or two of wine. Jr was with me and wanted to stay so he could watch the cartoons that were running (silent) on the screens on the wall.

Hearings lots of good things about the newish restaurant/sports bar called Fraser's in Jomtien.

Their menu is here:

http://www.fraserspattaya.com/restaurant.html

But the real reason I'm posting is to mention their every Wednesday specials for 295 baht.

It's different every Wednesday and to me that's more interesting than their regular menu.

So if you want to check it out before visiting, they are posting their Wednesday specials on their facebook site:

https://www.facebook.com/fraserssportsbar

Tonight it is Slowed Cooked Irish Stew.

Next week, something else!

They also have a weekly lunch special which you can also hear about on facebook.

This week it is this and apparently a 1/2 pint of draft is included in the price:

'Pork or Chicken Schnitzel' served with Greek Salad and Chips (225bht)
Edited by Jingthing

Hearings lots of good things about the newish restaurant/sports bar called Fraser's in Jomtien.

Their menu is here:

http://www.fraserspattaya.com/restaurant.html

But the real reason I'm posting is to mention their every Wednesday specials for 295 baht.

It's different every Wednesday and to me that's more interesting than their regular menu.

So if you want to check it out before visiting, they are posting their Wednesday specials on their facebook site:

https://www.facebook.com/fraserssportsbar

Tonight it is Slowed Cooked Irish Stew.

Next week, something else!

They also have a weekly lunch special which you can also hear about on facebook.

This week it is this and apparently a 1/2 pint of draft is included in the price:

'Pork or Chicken Schnitzel' served with Greek Salad and Chips (225bht)

Aren't all stews cooked "slow"...is this Irish stew cooked extra slow or something?

I am sure I wont get much love for this, and sorry if its been mentioned before - but I went to Carls Jr tonight 3rd floor of central festival.

The combo set I had was a chicken and bacon burger, fries and a sprite 145b.

It was one of the best burgers I have had in Thailand, and the fries were much better than other fast food places - they still had a bit of the skin from the potato on them, nice and hot and tasted really good. Yep, the burger was in a right old mess at the end of the meal - as Carls Jr says, "its going to be messy" and it was. It was also a massive meal and I am glad I only went for the small.

One thing which maybe new is that there is a loyalty card thing going on now, so if you get 5 combos, the 6th one is free, which would bring the price down to 120b a combo - this is great value.

The outside area is pretty cool as well, looking over beach road.

Bib Chon is open (inside Royal Garden, beach side). I just ate there for the first time. No more KFC for me. Bon Chon chicken is very good! Interesting menu with a lot more than chicken wings. Good side dishes and some other Korean dishes that I have yet to try.

Yes BONCHON Chicken is an international chain originating in KOREA now expanding in good old Thailand. They have been preparing to open for many many months. Glad to hear they are finally open! Yes Korean Fried Chicken is quite a different thing. Thanks for the news!

Pattaya gets more and more "world class" with quality chains like this continuing to open here.

attachicon.gif10494583_792996964066222_910277484467163529_n.jpg

http://www.bonchonthailand.com/

https://www.facebook.com/bonchonthailand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonchon_Chicken

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/07/dining/07fried.html/?_r=0

I went in on Saturday night to check out the menu - I asked the girl in there if its going to be Gangnam Style and she said it probably will be.

Edited by nickmanchester2
  • Thanks 1