The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

It was a light dish in the sauce so at least you won't gain weight from it!

The portion looks very small to me. And the cheese on the soup should be gratinéed rather than just melted.

340B for that and water seems way overpriced.

Just wanted to share my experience. Be clear posts here do not necessarily mean they are recommendations. This is a VERY OPEN thread with the intention of providing all kinds of information on the local restaurant scene. Then consumers can decide for themselves where they would like to eat. Certainly when people can see pictures of actual servings (rather than menu or press pictures) they get even more objective useful information. In the case of this place, be clear I sampled their "budget" special so it would unfair to make too many assumptions about their a la carte menu from this.

Also consider restaurants are selling more than food, sometimes anyway. Some diners value ambiance and entertainment experience more than others and that's the beauty of the abundance of choice we have locally in where to eat.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

JT

Thanks for the review, it does look a charming place.

Have you ever tried Froggy`s French bistro, soi yumee, very roughly behind Big C Extra ?

I do not have any photos did eat there some time back, had the 3 course set menu, choosing Salmon cake starter, Duck leg main and profiteroles desert.

Portions not large but the meal was enough for me and thought it tasted good

.French chef/owner

Price is 330 baht

I believe the place was/is up for sale, whether it has changed from my visit I truly do not know.

website http://www.froggyfrenchbistro.com/menu.php

Just wanted to share my experience. Be clear posts here do not necessarily mean they are recommendations. This is a VERY OPEN thread with the intention of providing all kinds of information on the local restaurant scene. Then consumers can decide for themselves where they would like to eat. Certainly when people can see pictures of actual servings (rather than menu or press pictures) they get even more objective useful information. In the case of this place, be clear I sampled their "budget" special so it would unfair to make too many assumptions about their a la carte menu from this.

No problems with that but I was just pointing out that for 340B it seemed expensive when compared to other similar French Bisto places. Even more so for a "budget" offering.

• 3 weeks later...

Moved Iranian buffet restaurant!

PARDIS Iranian Buffet restaurant the Iranian national dish, ghormeh sabzi (a stew with greens, beans, and meat) with large chunks of edible beef.

I order this from the menu at their 2nd road restaurant, it's fantastic.

OK. But you edited my post in an odd way so I want to confirm that you mean Pardis near the Hard Rock hotel on 2nd road or the other buffet place also on 2nd road in South Pattaya. Both indeed also have a LA carte menus.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have never eaten Iranian/Persian food but would like to try it.

A buffet would seem an ideal way but as an alternative, any suggestions for a dish that is predominately beef or lamb based, not too much in the way of green vegetables, no peas no lentils.?

Accompanying rice or potato fine.( tomato/mushroom/onions all OK also, no idea if they are a feature of Iranian food though )

Does the Persian rice with berries make it have a sweet taste ? I`d likely like that if so.

May well try Pardis buffet but equally happy to try a la carte.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

smile.png

Both buffets have potato dishes, fried, boiled, in stews.

Berries on rice, they are only small berries, more like tart than sweet.

There are many Iranian places in town.

In my view, none are really at gourmet level.

I have read even in Iran it's hard to get great Iranian food at restaurants ... the best stuff is from home cooks.

The best Iranian food I've ever had has been from an Iranian home cook and at an expensive gourmet Iranian restaurant in San Francisco.

I suppose a la carte maybe Pardis would be better, but it's more expensive too.

• Like 1

Hi

Not a review but merely some " news" in case of interest to anyone and probably not worth a separate thread

Dominos ( Pizza) have been very busy in getting a new branch ready in naklua, opening would be any day now by the looks of things.

If coming from the Dolphin Circle it is on the left hand side, about a 5- 7 minute walk or 1 minute on a bahtbus.

Well signed, just before soi 18/Wong Amat.

A lot of competition for pizza business in Pattaya generally but guess they have done their homework and will do OK

As of yesterday evening, not open but very nearly so, indoor eating area evident, telephone number for delivery already displayed.

I might try it although prefer to give independent restaurants my custom.

More choice always welcome though.

smile.png

Thanks for that item.

Folks, keep in mind this thread is VERY OPEN to all kinds of restaurant information.
Most certainly not at all LIMITED to formal restaurant reviews.

Restaurant comments, news, gossip, openings, closings of most any kind are welcome here.

Hi

Not a review but merely some " news" in case of interest to anyone and probably not worth a separate thread

Dominos ( Pizza) have been very busy in getting a new branch ready in naklua, opening would be any day now by the looks of things.

If coming from the Dolphin Circle it is on the left hand side, about a 5- 7 minute walk or 1 minute on a bahtbus.

A lot of competition for pizza business in Pattaya generally but guess they have done their homework and will do OK

As of yesterday evening, not open but very nearly so, indoor eating area evident, telephone number for delivery already displayed.

smile.png

You could always try the branch on 3rd road.

..For me Jockey's Restaurant in Soi Lenkee - "shines out like a shaft of gold, when all around is dark"..............

Um. Why?

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good quality food, sensibly priced (daily special 149b), nice surroundings, good friendly service and air conditioned......that do ya ?

Its good value (cheap) but a bit bland, more "wholesome" than tasty. The same guy did and maybe still does manage the 18 Coins restaurant kitchen.

If you note the sandwich board outside either place they are identical in lettering design and the daily specials are obviously from the same thought process and prices as well.

At least the service is better at Jockeys, at 18 Coins is terrible.

Another place offering similar bland and cheap daily specials is Jollys on Soi Bukhaow, having said that their Sunday Roasts buffet is rather good, not spectacular, but good value.

The Restaurant at 10 Coins is moving across the road to malees lodge at new year and will have a kitchen 3 time bigger than the 18 coins so food will be served much quicker

Madras Darbar, the long standing Indian restaurant of decent quality across from Central Beach mall on 2nd road is greatly expanding their space.

http://madrasdarbar.com/

When I first went there years ago I received wonderful personal warm service and was recommended some wonderful dishes that were new to me, and they were great.

Some years later I've had some mixed experiences. The service is definitely less personal than when they opened.

Had a masala dosa there and the spicing was good but it seemed overly greasy.

Had a thali there, and the portion seemed very small for the price ... and not interesting.

Recently I tried a curry I had never tried anywhere before, a Kerala Fish curry.

I had looked that up on the net so had some idea what it was supposed to at least look like (and the ingredients).

Well I did enjoy their version but at 280 baht for a rather small portion and less spice complex than my expectations, I felt a little let down.

But I liked it, it was more that I didn't think the value was there at that price.

Anyway ... obviously a lot of Indian people like it, that's mostly their crowd and they must be doing a lot right to survive this long and be ready to expand, so wondering if people who eat there can mention some specific dishes they have had there and their impressions.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Hi

smile.png

If its anything like there Bangkok operations then they definitely wont of done their homework.

I do like a Domino's but unfortunately they are nothing like those in the US, and IMO both PH and PC are far tastier and far better value for money.

I live very close to two in BKK and they are always empty, so i hope for their sake they are doing a lot of deliveries.

Unlike Pizza Company particularly who have many stores in shopping centers etc, it seems Domino's are concentrating mainly on delivery and as you mention it is an extremely competitive market.

I know its not that popular, but Pizza Pizza by Yannee is the best IMO, the one in Hua Hin was mobbed all day yesterday, mostly by the looks of things by Thais which is a good sign for them, if they can capture both markets.

Madras Darbar, the long standing Indian restaurant of decent quality across from Central Beach mall on 2nd road is greatly expanding their space.

http://madrasdarbar.com/

When I first went there years ago I received wonderful personal warm service and was recommended some wonderful dishes that were new to me, and they were great.

Some years later I've had some mixed experiences. The service is definitely less personal than when they opened.

Had a masala dosa there and the spicing was good but it seemed overly greasy.

Had a thali there, and the portion seemed very small for the price ... and not interesting.

Recently I tried a curry I had never tried anywhere before, a Kerala Fish curry.

I had looked that up on the net so had some idea what it was supposed to at least look like (and the ingredients).

Well I did enjoy their version but at 280 baht for a rather small portion and less spice complex than my expectations, I felt a little let down.

But I liked it, it was more that I didn't think the value was there at that price.

Anyway ... obviously a lot of Indian people like it, that's mostly their crowd and they must be doing a lot right to survive this long and be ready to expand, so wondering if people who eat there can mention some specific dishes they have had there and their impressions.

For a while last year I was doing an informal comparison of Bhindi Masala offered by several Indian restaurants in Pattaya and Bangkok. This somewhat spicy okra-based vegetarian dish is modestly priced, normally in the 150 baht range. From the dozen or so restaurants I tried, IMHO the Bhindi served by Madras Darbar was the best. I went back a second time, and it was still the best. Their okra was cut into small, tender pieces that melted in the mouth, deliciously flavored. Some other restaurants offered large uncut okra that was tough and stringy, some pieces nearly inedible.

Good to hear that Madras Darbar is expanding.

• Like 1

Hi

smile.png

If its anything like there Bangkok operations then they definitely wont of done their homework.

I do like a Domino's but unfortunately they are nothing like those in the US, and IMO both PH and PC are far tastier and far better value for money.

I live very close to two in BKK and they are always empty, so i hope for their sake they are doing a lot of deliveries.

Unlike Pizza Company particularly who have many stores in shopping centers etc, it seems Domino's are concentrating mainly on delivery and as you mention it is an extremely competitive market.

I know its not that popular, but Pizza Pizza by Yannee is the best IMO, the one in Hua Hin was mobbed all day yesterday, mostly by the looks of things by Thais which is a good sign for them, if they can capture both markets.

Here's their good sign:

post-72929-0-06186900-1420210175_thumb.j

I've had a couple of those 69B pizzas since the promo started. They are good value if a bit dull, but what do you expect for a Margherita? You do get Tabasco and olive oil to liven it up, and the pizza itself is quite well made.

The actual price you pay for the whole pizza is about 75B. In some places nearby that would only get you one slice of a rather nasty pizza.

Back Fabrik, the new German Bakery/Restaurant on Jomtien, 2nd Rd. has a superb collection of Christmas cookies, now at 40% off.

Yesterday, after my breakfast, I picked up a nice selection of 6 different cookie varieties and ate them all.

Just delicious. Each individual cookie has a unique flavor and texture.

The chef here really knows his stuff.

• Like 1

seasia, on 27 Dec 2014 - 21:25, said:

Hi

More choice always welcome though./unq

Dominos Naklua is open now.

I had the half price in shop offer, deep pan pepperoni, medium size, today. Lovely!

I didn't like the thin crust I had last week tho, over-cooked I thought.

Time to give a shout for the Green Glass Restaurant in Huayyai. Just round the bend from the 7 which is opposite the Wat.

Missus, family and I have been going since it opened and never been disappointed, but had a great pork loin steak with fries and salad last night for 150 Baht!!

Beer 50 Baht small size.

Wife says thai food is tasty.

Nice and clean,

Filipina owned, some Phil dishes if you're keen.

Don't all go at once though please.

Cheers smile.png

• Thanks 1

Anego Japanese Restaurant MOVED
Long standing and well reputed North Pattaya Japanese restaurant ANEGO, formerly of Beach Road/Soi 5 is now located in the same pedestrian mall off 2nd road as The Bibampbap chain Korean for Thai tastes restaurant and Burger King at the corner which requires no introduction:

http://www.thebibimbab.com/?pages=contact

If you're looking to eat Korean instead of Japanese I HIGHLY RECOMMEND rather than the chain place the very authentic place near the end of the mall on the right called KOREAN RESTAURANT (previously written about here). It still ranks in my mind as one of the very best value for money Asian meals in all the region.

The NEW Anego is on the opposite side as the Korean place that I recommend.

Edited by Jingthing

Anego Japanese Restaurant MOVED
Long standing and well reputed North Pattaya Japanese restaurant ANEGO, formerly of Beach Road/Soi 5 is now located in the same pedestrian mall off 2nd road as The Bibampbap chain Korean for Thai tastes restaurant and Burger King at the corner which requires no introduction:

http://www.thebibimbab.com/?pages=contact

If you're looking to eat Korean instead of Japanese I HIGHLY RECOMMEND rather than the chain place the very authentic place near the end of the mall on the right called KOREAN RESTAURANT (previously written about here). It still ranks in my mind as one of the very best value for money Asian meals in all the region.

The NEW Anego is on the opposite side as the Korean place that I recommend.

Always looking for a good Japanese restaurant but not sure about the location described in the link. Is it very close to the Tiffany show place?

In the food court on the ground floor of Central there is now a Japanese and Chinese "restaurant" located at the extreme end of the food court towards 2nd rd. It's called F-1 Teppanyaki Japanese and Chinese Restaurant..

Had the Gyoza and a stir fried mushroom dish, all prepared fresh right in front of us. Very tasty dishes, and at 79 Baht a piece very well priced. Starting next week they will have salmon sashimi on the menu (it's already listed) and it looks like you will get 6 pcs for 109 Baht. Will definitively try it.

• Like 1

Moved Iranian buffet restaurant!

PARDIS Iranian Buffet restaurant

previously located on 2nd road across from Pattaya Central Beach Mall is still called PARDIS and is now located on 2nd road near the Hard Rock Hotel.

The buffet price of 249 matches the price when they closed at the old location.

Having had some good meals there when it was at old location and old price (199B), I thought I would try the new location.

So I drove up there around 8pm one evening recently and found the place, and very posh it looks too.

Unfortunately it was completely deserted with just a couple of bored-looking middle-Eastern gents (the owners?) sitting outside studying their mobile phones. Nothing puts me off more than a totally deserted buffet, so I drove on to greener pastures (which turned out to be the 75B pizza previously discussed in this thread).

I will try Pardis again some time, if it doesn't close first.

• Like 1