The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Thanks about Ta Hai Chinese Restaurant

OK ... the "secret" is out.

I will post in more detail about this place later.

I decided to let someone else be first this time!

As promised, I have now posted A LOT more information about this new restaurant.

I think it is important enough news for a dedicated thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/763181-ta-hai-brings-authentic-chinese-food-to-jomtien-chaiyapruek/

Speaking of funereal gatherings, sorry to report if you don't already know, Ta Hai Chinese restaurant is now PERMANENTLY CLOSED.sorry.gifmfr_closed1.gif

Yes, that's right, it kind of had just OPENED. facepalm.gif

Edited by Jingthing

New find!

Kind of a small low priced Korean "dive" on Soi Buakhow.

Closed already.

Appears now to be quite OPEN.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-review-thread/?p=7844051

I'll check in later to see if it's the same thing as before and might even try it!

OK, I can report this location exists as a place selling chicken. Nothing Korean about it though. It is a standard Thai roasted chicken type joint. Still a dive!

Edited by Jingthing

RUNG RESTAURANT

On the same road as the new wonderful Chinese restaurant, same side, further down the road away from the beach, not as far as Jomtien 2nd road, there is a street food style Thai place offering three dishes, most notably Lanna Khao Soy Chicken!

attachicon.gif2014909173026.jpg

Cheap cheap.

I have not tried yet.

As you can you can choose chicken rice (not Lanna)

or Khao Soy curried chicken soup (Lanna)

Rice noodles, spicy pork dip (Lanna I think)

I took the recommendation and pleased to report the Khao Soy tastes just like in Chaing Mai. The total with water was 50Bt.

The lady running the place is nice and friendly, very welcoming. Kinda felt like mom making lunch.

Edited by khunjamesjohnson
  • Like 1

New Chinese restaurant opening later this month on 3rd road soi 22 thumbsup.gif

I tried to find this place and couldn't find it.coffee1.gif

Is this for real?

If so, can someone provide more specific information about name, location, side of street, nearby landmarks, details of food offered, etc.?

It's right on the corner of 3rd Road and soi 22, but is still under construction, doesn't look ready to open for a while yet. It's a big building with Chinese lanterns hanging outside and a sign in fancy Thai script. I assume it will become a restaurant.

I walked by there a few nights ago. I think it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY this location is going to be a Chinese restaurant. There is some kind of Thai Chinese Buddhist SHRINE there. Not really sure what it is. If I had to guess I would guess a place for funereal gatherings.crying.gif

I posted this earlier in good faith-the owner gave me this info-but as you have seen the renovation,s have ground to a halt-I will update when I get more information-BUT TIT whistling.gif

• Like 1

Update on

TAIWAN RESTAURANT

2nd road, a short walk up from Pattaya Tai, east side of street

Previously mentioned numerous times on this thread.

The unique thing about this restaurant is still the Taiwan "street food" style dishes, but there has been a major expansion of the menu in a surprising direction. Not more Chinese as previously reported, but THAI actually.

The new items added (almost all Thai dishes).

The fish used is that flat fish you see here a lot served w/ mango salad.

Stir squid 120 (Thai)
stir cucumber 75 (Chinese)
Dried (probably mean dried) fish 220 (Thai)
Catfish fry 190 (Thai)
Cashew chicken 180 (owner says Chinese, I think more Thai)
Eggs stuffed 200 (Thai)
Stir fried chayote 80 (Thai)
Kale w/ shiitake sesame oil 120 (Chinese)
Algae in syrup (dessert) 80 (??)
Fish 3 flavor 180 (Thai)
Steamed crabs 200 each (Thai)
Curry crab 400 (Thai Chinese perhaps)
Shrimp 750 kg. (can be cooked in same curry as crab)
Fried clams 180 (Chinese style)

Should they change the name to THAI-WAN?

I had the chayote.

It was excellent.

I wish they had added more Chinese dishes but perhaps their customer base wants a bit of both.

I asked if they could do the clams or squid Chinese style with black bean sauce. I was told not now as they don't have the fermented black beans (easy to buy here) but perhaps later?

Edited by Jingthing

I've got a bit of an update on Bonchon chicken (Royal Garden Mall) which I posted about before.

First of all, I'm sure many of you know the experience of loving some food the first time and going back later and not feeling the same way.

One might wonder has the food changed or have you changed!?!

In any case, I returned to this place originally thinking of trying a Soft Tofu soup.

Well I wasn't thrilled about the price structure for that.

Base is 200 for the pork dumpling type.

It doesn't include rice.

To add rice either an extra 35 or for 40 get a small western salad also. But no kimchi!

Then add PLUS PLUS.

Well, I'm spoiled because at many local Korean places for 200ish you get the soup, rice, free water, an assortment of banchan items, and also watermelon.

So I passed on that and decided to try the middle size chicken drums.

You get 5 and mix the two flavors.

I asked for 3 hot and 2 soy/garlic and waitress returned saying that only 2 hot and 3 soy/garlic was possible.

Weird, huh?

So anyway I agreed to that and when they came I made the mistake of trying the soy/garlic one first.

It was VERY SWEET. I would never want that flavor again.

But then I tried the HOT and that tasted sweet as well.

Not the same flavor as before which was very HOT and not noticeably sweet.

Later I reckoned there is a good chance there was so much sugar in my mouth from the soy/garlic flavor that the HOT ones tasted sweet too.

In any case, if you don't want sweet, don't order the soy/garlic at all.

It is possible I suppose the HOT ones are quite sweet as well, either I didn't notice the first time and like I said I can't really know this time, my mouth was sugared.

I also felt the chicken was not fabulously CRISPY as before.

Was that real or my imagination? I can't know.

Note the place was packed with the trendy Thai facebook eating crowd, snapping more pics than bites, it seemed.

Could there be an issue with the kitchen when crowded?

I don't know.

I talked to a very friendly manager type and he assured me 100 percent the flavors have not changed, the kitchen does not adjust them for each branch, it being a major franchise, the flavorings are prepackaged and standard.

So you can't ask for less sweet or more hot ... it's set, according to that guy anyway.

In any case, first time WOW, this time ... well, more like MEH. sad.png

You know some of the regular Korean food did look good on other tables, such as the kalbi meat on rice.

I noticed the Thai-sos were mostly not ordering the fried chicken!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

I've got a bit of an update on Bonchon chicken (Royal Garden Mall) which I posted about before.

First of all, I'm sure many of you know the experience of loving some food the first time and going back later and not feeling the same way.

One might wonder has the food changed or have you changed!?!

In any case, I returned to this place originally thinking of trying a Soft Tofu soup.

Well I wasn't thrilled about the price structure for that.

Base is 200 for the pork dumpling type.

It doesn't include rice.

To add rice either an extra 35 or for 40 get a small western salad also. But no kimchi!

Then add PLUS PLUS.

Well, I'm spoiled because at many local Korean places for 200ish you get the soup, rice, free water, an assortment of banchan items, and also watermelon.

So I passed on that and decided to try the middle size chicken drums.

You get 5 and mix the two flavors.

I asked for 3 hot and 2 soy/garlic and waitress returned saying that only 2 hot and 3 soy/garlic was possible.

Weird, huh?

So anyway I agreed to that and when they came I made the mistake of trying the soy/garlic one first.

It was VERY SWEET. I would never want that flavor again.

But then I tried the HOT and that tasted sweet as well.

Not the same flavor as before which was very HOT and not noticeably sweet.

Later I reckoned there is a good chance there was so much sugar in my mouth from the soy/garlic flavor that the HOT ones tasted sweet too.

In any case, if you don't want sweet, don't order the soy/garlic at all.

It is possible I suppose the HOT ones are quite sweet as well, either I didn't notice the first time and like I said I can't really know this time, my mouth was sugared.

I also felt the chicken was not fabulously CRISPY as before.

Was that real or my imagination? I can't know.

Note the place was packed with the trendy Thai facebook eating crowd, snapping more pics than bites, it seemed.

Could there be an issue with the kitchen when crowded?

I don't know.

I talked to a very friendly manager type and he assured me 100 percent the flavors have not changed, the kitchen does not adjust them for each branch, it being a major franchise, the flavorings are prepackaged and standard.

So you can't ask for less sweet or more hot ... it's set, according to that guy anyway.

In any case, first time WOW, this time ... well, more like MEH. sad.png

You know some of the regular Korean food did look good on other tables, such as the kalbi meat on rice.

I noticed the Thai-sos were mostly not ordering the fried chicken!

I feel vindicatedbiggrin.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bhon Chon.

The chicken salad is awesome. Crispy, honey glazed breast over sesame salad. 180Bt ++ It's a bit sweet but I like it.

Once I did try the spicy and it does taste like they just add heat to the honey glazed chicken.

Yesterday, the place was almost packed. Maybe 40 customers lunch time.

I estimate he needs 80-100 customers a day to pay the bills so I think they will make it.

Thais put sugar on almost everything so they are loving it. I think they will kick KFCs ass.

I would bet KFC is scrambling to come up with a competitive dish.

Thais put sugar on almost all their food and they really like things from Korea so this place is gonna kick KFCs ass.

Bhon Chon.

The chicken salad is awesome. Crispy, honey glazed breast over sesame salad. 180Bt ++ It's a bit sweet but I like it.

Once I did try the spicy and it does taste like they just add heat to the honey glazed chicken.

I estimate he needs 80-100 customers a day to pay the bills so I think they will make it.

Thais put sugar on almost everything so they are loving it. I think they will kick KFCs ass.

Thais put sugar on almost all their food and they really like things from Korea so this place is gonna kick KFCs ass.

I seriously doubt this place is turning into a competitor to KFC. Totally different concept.

• Like 1

Bhon Chon.

I seriously doubt this place is turning into a competitor to KFC. Totally different concept.

I ate at BonChon today because JT made me hungry with his last post. And it was great as usual, and packed as usual. I seriously think BonChon is already kicking KFC's ass. If I were a big chain like KFC, I would consider putting "crispy, hot and sweet wings" on the menu.

Bhon Chon.

I ate at BonChon today because JT made me hungry with his last post. And it was great as usual, and packed as usual. I seriously think BonChon is already kicking KFC's ass. If I were a big chain like KFC, I would consider putting "crispy, hot and sweet wings" on the menu.

Sweet food sells in Thailand so why not sweet KCF wings as well. Having said that they do not lack sweet chicken on the menu already - just not in the form of wings.

Welcome to Thailand, the future hub of diabetes!

Which is why I was wondering if they altered the recipe of the flavorings here for Bonchon to make the "hot" flavor more sweet (for the local market where it can't be too sweet). I was told no. coffee1.gif

But what really surprised me was the lack of super crispiness compared to the first time.

Maybe bad luck for me that time ...

Aside from the sugar flavor question, I don't see the point of Korean fried chicken without the super crispy factor.

KFC is not going to have the crispiness the Korean style fried chicken because it is a different cooking technique and they would have to change their entire business model to do that.

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...
H & L Sichuan Cuisine and Seafood

VERY NEW authentic Chinese and seafood restaurant in JOMTIEN

Also Thai dishes.

Featuring dishes from SICHUAN PROVINCE

In the walking soi parallel to Thappraya approaching the Dongtan Police Box, enter by the side of Country Road bar:

Overview:

This is a very new restaurant.

I visited during off hours to view the menu and couldn't speak to anyone.

I can't say if there is a Chinese chef or not.

I can't say if their Sichuan dishes use the needed and appropriate spices such as fermented broad bean paste and Sichuan "numbing" peppers.

I can say their prices appear quite high.

I can understand for certain ingredients such as fresh seafood, but the high price structure can also be seen with cheap ingredient dishes such as pork.

I wish them well, of course, but I don't think they will have massive appeal with the readers of this forum, mostly who are not Chinese people.

Also there are no dim sum items or noodle dishes.

There are a lot organ/offal/ear type dishes also of course not popular with westerners.

I won't be giving detailed reviews on their food as I personally am put off by their prices, and will continue making the trek to

SHANGHAI RESTAURANT on 3rd road for some similar CHINESE/SICHUAN menu choices (and more: dim sum and noodles) for much friendlier prices.

)))))))))))))))))))))))

Seeing this menu made me SAD yet again about the shocking fast closing of TA HAI Chinese restaurant in outer Jomtien!

Read it and weep crying.gif ... yes, it's closed, that is SO WRONG!!!!bah.gif

(((((((((((((((((((((((

IF you are less wallet conscious than me and you do try this place, please report back with detailed information about the dishes you had, OK?

I'll try it eventually at least for a few dishes to sample.

The dishes of particular personal interest to me are the dishes that appear to be Sichuan hot pot dishes (such as the

Spicy sliced fish in chili oil), marinated beef, mapo tofu, boiled chicken w/ side ginger sauce, and the stewed eggplant.

The chicken w/ cashew nuts might possibly be Kung Pao Chicken instead of the Thai dish but I couldn't tell from the picture. In Hong Kong they do use cashew nuts for that classic Kung Pao dish which most westerners associate with use of PEANUTS.

If the hot pot dishes lack the proper Chinese Sichuan spices, that wouldn't be good, but as said, I don't know about the chef or how authentic their ingredients are yet.

The fried potatoes are not chips but rather a Chinese dish of thin sliced potatoes.

Here is their menu with prices:

Steamed crab 800 kilo

Fried crab w/ curry powder 1200 kilo

Deep Fried Mantis Shrimp w/ garlic 900 kilo

Grilled prawns 800 kilo

Steamed prawns 800 kilo

Steamed fish w/ lime juice 420

Fried fish w/ fish sauce 420

Steamed seabass soy sauce 420

Fried King Mackeral 280

Fried scallops 420

Marinated prawns fish sauce 180

Deep fried shrimp garlic 280

Tom yum kung 280

Deep fried shrimp cakes 220

Fried squid salted eggs 280

Fried squid curry powder 280

Steamed clams dipping sauce 180

Spicy cocktail salad 180

Steamed mussels 280

Fried morning glory 150

Fried rice crab/shrimp 120

Fried crab curry powder 600

Spicy sliced fish in chili oil 420

Fish w/ pickled mustard greens 420

Oxtripe soup 420

Steamed beef 420

Steamed pork 420

Spicy chicken 320

Beef and offal 320

Stir fried chicken cashew nut 320

Pork spare rib chili paste 320

Spicy pork ear 320

Sliced boiled pork w/ garlic

Spicy Pork tripe 280

Shredded pork w/ garlic sauce 220

Stewed eggplant 180

Pig ear brown sauce 280

Marinated pigtail 280

Snout in brown sauce 280

Marinated pork trotter 280

Marinated beef 280

Fried sticky pork w/ chili paste 280

Sliced boiled chicken 280

Mapo tofu 220

Fried potatoes 150

Edited by Jingthing

Funny, I stopped in there just last night... and was up, out and on my way to Golden Friar for F & C as soon as I saw their prices!

Understood. thumbsup.gif

I really don't get the price structure in that location. Can the RENT really be that high there?

I even mentioned the price issue in Thai with a Thai girl who was greeting me. She pointed to a seafood tank.

Yeah, I get that part ... but how much can trotters be to source? whistling.gif

Of course with a proper Chinese meal you don't order one dish like sometimes with a western meal.

Their offering and pricing is similar in some ways to that large place that failed on 2nd road on the "City Walk" corner but they moved to a smaller location and are still open further up 2nd road, north of Pattaya Klang.

The target is clearly to Chinese tourists mostly.

I have no idea how the prices seem to that market.

Of course, it isn't fully fair to make and final judgments before trying the food.

For example if their mapo tofu at 220 turns out to be KICK ASS, it would definitely be well worth it, because as far as I know no place in town actually serves really good mapo tofu. That doesn't mean it actually IS kick ass ... I don't know yet ... but just saying.

Also if you're reading this in Manhattan and the prices seem cheap ... well, Jomtien isn't Manhattan.

Edited by Jingthing

Don't they generally eat in groups with pre-negotiated prices for set meals?

Like the Indian coach parties who eat in the Indian buffet places: I'm sure that they do not pay the 200/250B mentioned on the signs.

Don't they generally eat in groups with pre-negotiated prices for set meals?

Like the Indian coach parties who eat in the Indian buffet places: I'm sure that they do not pay the 200/250B mentioned on the signs.

There are the bus tours, yes, but there is also an increase in independent Chinese travelers.

That other 2nd road place I mentioned, similar price structure, similar Chinese Chinese-centric menu is also too small for large groups.

The customers I've seen there are primarily Chinese.

It's a good question ... I don't think I would invest my own money in such a place but it will be interesting to see if they succeed and if so, who is eating there.

There is also a similar place near Tukcom now but it's near a large hotel with Chinese groups and looks big enough to take smaller group tours.

When I tried to look at menu there, they tried to chase me away, so definitely I'm not their target

Clearly a trend in Pattaya is more Chinese everything.

One thing I think I've learned about the incoming Chinese market is that they really love seafood and they're willing to pay quite a lot for it.

I think that is the goldmine motivation of people seeking to serve that market ... high markup seafood!

Westerners ... it's not always about us!

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's not a place I would go for pizza at their normal prices though I have tried before. Thanks for the report on the size of their promotion pizza. I thought it might be a gimmick and get you a micro-pizza.

Edited by Jingthing

This place on Khao Noi has been threatening to open for a couple of weeks now. Opposite the big wet market about two-thirds of the way up the soi. A quick - okay, very bloody quick - Google search has not revealed any other establishment of this name in Thailand. So, does anyone know anything about them? I could guess and say it was another exquisite British culinary export, but I might get shot down, so I won't. However, it will receive my undivided attention once it does start serving, as I'm very partial to curry and to well-cooked chips.

post-47588-0-82265800-1414655556_thumb.j

There is a new Chinese dim sum food stall at the ground floor food court Central Pattaya beach mall.

It is named after Bangkok Chinatown so I think a chain of some kind.

They have mostly dim sim and some other dim sum house items such as Chinese greens.

I sampled a few dishes at 38 baht each:

The shrimp shumai ... got three dumplings, they were quite SMALL, the quality was acceptable (but that might be generous)

Wrapped dough ... had to ask what was in it as was told vegetables ... two more substantial pieces topped with generous amount of steamed Shiitake mushrooms, what was inside was ground up and I couldn't really identify. The item seemed to be too long on the steamer ... would have been better fresher (and what isn't?)

I guess this place is OK for a dim sum fix but keep your culinary expectations well in check. coffee1.gif

For comparison, the Shumai was at about the Canton House chain level and the wrapped dough was a bit better (if it had been fresher).

Edited by Jingthing

This place on Khao Noi has been threatening to open for a couple of weeks now. Opposite the big wet market about two-thirds of the way up the soi. A quick - okay, very bloody quick - Google search has not revealed any other establishment of this name in Thailand. So, does anyone know anything about them? I could guess and say it was another exquisite British culinary export, but I might get shot down, so I won't. However, it will receive my undivided attention once it does start serving, as I'm very partial to curry and to well-cooked chips.

Sir

Are you sure this is not on soi excite????/

Sir

Are you sure this is not on soi excite????/

I have managed to navigate this soi for 3 years now. So, I'm sure it's Khao Noi. I am home - and that's my car in the driveway, and my slippers under the bed.