The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

OK, Korean Fried Chicken fans ... try all these supposed places that have it including Bonchon, compare price and tastes, and please report back here!

If the Korean place near Fairtex is the same place that I think it is, I seriously doubt they really have this specialty dish.

Actually years ago I saw a place that probably had it. It was not in a visible place. It was a specialty shop for chicken but everything was in Korean, the prices were much more expensive than Bonchon (perhaps because they were only selling whole chickens), and wasn't able to communicate with them well enough to try it. No pictures and nobody eating there to point at stuff. Not sure if they're still there. Doubt it.

In Korea, traditionally this was a BAR food.

In the USA, where it is now trendy, it is positioned as a premium price fried chicken with the justification that it is more labor intensive to cook than western fried chicken. Which it is.

But I think the flavor elements are a big part in differentiating different outlets.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for the Bhon Chon Chicken recommendation.

Nice Chicken salad I had today. Generous portion of sliced crispy breast with their addictive seasonings.

The lettuce portion was a bit on the small side but was fresh and lightly tossed in a sesame dressing.

241Bt including bottled water.

People that 'pop a vessel' over ++ pricing won't be happy here.

"People that 'pop a vessel' over ++ pricing won't be happy here."

Its ok but I won't be going back.

I am not popping a vessel as you put it but for me it simply doesn't represent good value for money. What could go up part of the way to bringing the price down is eliminating full-service for which they make you pay for it by adding a service charge to the bill. I don't like restaurants that do this particularly because the menu is so simple. They could easily do self-serve at the counter.

It could be self serve like KFC but for 20 Bt. or so it's nice to have service and the poor girl has a job too.

I know I'm going to blow your mind but I left a 9Bt. tip on top of the service charge. Living large.

Enjoy your SomTum.

They have what they call pricing power. Nobody else is selling Korean fried chicken in these parts. So if you want to try that or know that you want it, you will pay, or go without ...

Overpriced in general. Guess it's worth it for those who love Korean fried chicken. I thought it OK but feel no pressing need to return.

• Like 1

The Iranian buffet restaurant PARDIS across from Pattaya Beach central mall has been dark for many days now. They had recently raised their prices and appeared to have fewer customers after that.

Closed?

Big "For Rent" sign outside.

The "For Rent" sign has gone. In its place is a sign saying "Chill-Chill Bar Restaurants" with a chilli motif.

People busy refitting the interior.

OK, Korean Fried Chicken fans ... try all these supposed places that have it including Bonchon, compare price and tastes, and please report back here!

If the Korean place near Fairtex is the same place that I think it is, I seriously doubt they really have this specialty dish.

Actually years ago I saw a place that probably had it. It was not in a visible place. It was a specialty shop for chicken but everything was in Korean, the prices were much more expensive than Bonchon (perhaps because they were only selling whole chickens), and wasn't able to communicate with them well enough to try it. No pictures and nobody eating there to point at stuff. Not sure if they're still there. Doubt it.

In the USA, where it is now trendy, it is positioned as a premium price fried chicken with the justification that it is more labor intensive to cook than western fried chicken. Which it is.

But I think the flavor elements are a big part in differentiating different outlets.

“it is positioned as a premium price fried chicken ”

I can see how this works in America but I wonder about here. Sure, people are going there now because it's still a bit of a novelty. But how many will not think it's worth paying a premium for subsequent visits?

Last night through the window I watched as a well dressed middle-aged couple (Thai lady and farang husband ) wandered up and looked at the menu outside and he was fascinated by the facade. It was clear he wanted to come inside but it seemed clear she was explaining to him the prices were too high and in the end she convinced him against it.

How many Thai’s will pay premium prices for chicken (and the service charge) and even if they do go the first time how many will go back again?

Thanks for the Bhon Chon Chicken recommendation.

Nice Chicken salad I had today. Generous portion of sliced crispy breast with their addictive seasonings.

The lettuce portion was a bit on the small side but was fresh and lightly tossed in a sesame dressing.

241Bt including bottled water.

People that 'pop a vessel' over ++ pricing won't be happy here.

"People that 'pop a vessel' over ++ pricing won't be happy here."

Its ok but I won't be going back.

I am not popping a vessel as you put it but for me it simply doesn't represent good value for money. What could go up part of the way to bringing the price down is eliminating full-service for which they make you pay for it by adding a service charge to the bill. I don't like restaurants that do this particularly because the menu is so simple. They could easily do self-serve at the counter.

It could be self serve like KFC but for 20 Bt. or so it's nice to have service and the poor girl has a job too.

I know I'm going to blow your mind but I left a 9Bt. tip on top of the service charge. Living large.

Enjoy your SomTum.

" Enjoy your SomTum ".tongue.pnglaugh.png

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

Nobody else is selling Korean fried chicken in these parts.

What about the place on Sukumvit, not far from Makro but on the opposite side?

I think they have a sign outside that mentions Korean chicken.

I been there. Its run by koreans

Nobody else is selling Korean fried chicken in these parts.

What about the place on Sukumvit, not far from Makro but on the opposite side?

I think they have a sign outside that mentions Korean chicken.

I been there. Its run by koreans

One would hope so.

But the vast majority of regular Korean restaurants do not sell Korean fried chicken.

It is usually at Korean fried chicken specialty restaurants and also in Korea -- BARS.

Can someone please drop by this place and confirm they really do Korean fried chicken, and if so, try it and report back?

Not my usual geo area.

Edited by Jingthing

“it is positioned as a premium price fried chicken ”

I can see how this works in America but I wonder about here. Sure, people are going there now because it's still a bit of a novelty. But how many will not think it's worth paying a premium for subsequent visits?

Last night through the window I watched as a well dressed middle-aged couple (Thai lady and farang husband ) wandered up and looked at the menu outside and he was fascinated by the facade. It was clear he wanted to come inside but it seemed clear she was explaining to him the prices were too high and in the end she convinced him against it.

How many Thai’s will pay premium prices for chicken (and the service charge) and even if they do go the first time how many will go back again?

I agree with you. Way too expensive for what is basically a bit of chicken. It was nice, but by the time you have a drink and add on the ridiclous 17% they charge you just can't justify it. If you are with the other half you are paying over 500 baht just to both sit there and eat some chicken, you could get a bargain bucket in KFC for that. Madness.

Eat what you like. Fried chicken isn't healthy food anyway. In any case, KFC (Kentucky) and KFC (Korean) are NOT the same product just because both are made of chicken and fried. Even cheaper to buy some chicken at Tesco and build a bonfire. I don't think the point of this thread is to always seek the cheapest of any generic food product. Perhaps another thread. Thank you.

Eat what you like. Fried chicken isn't healthy food anyway. In any case, KFC (Kentucky) and KFC (Korean) are NOT the same product just because both are made of chicken and fried. Even cheaper to buy some chicken at Tesco and build a bonfire. I don't think the point of this thread is to always seek the cheapest of any generic food product. Perhaps another thread. Thank you.

No, the point of this thread in your own words is to 'review' a restaurant.

Surely part of the 'review' process is to discuss the prices of a particular restaurant?

I'm no cheap Charlie (sometimes I wish I was to be honest) but that Korean gaff is well overpriced. Period.

PP Out.

• Like 1

I tried the Korean place next to Fairtex, on the west side. It's called Ga Ya Lang Korean. There is no fried chicken on the menu, so I tried their Bibimbap for 200 baht. Slightly smaller than the offering at The Bibimbap on 2nd Road, but came with 8 side dishes, all of which I liked except for the very salty fishes. Water 20 baht. Attractive interior, pleasant unobtrusive service, food came quickly (I was the only customer at 6 pm.) and there was no annoying noise/music. I would eat there again.

Thanks for the current info about the Korean place near Fairtex. I tried it years ago and wasn't too impressed but places can change. So now we have the expected confirmation they don't serve Korean fried chicken. So all that's left to compare is the place on Suk. Anyone sporting enough to check it out? Again it would be highly unusual for a standard Korean restaurant to serve the fried chicken. There might be 10 or more such places locally.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ta Hai Chinese Restaurant

Jomtien, Soi Chaiyapeuek (1 block from the beach)

Chinese food lovers will be pleased to find this small, aircon restaurant serves up authentic food, including hand pulled noodles, for reasonable prices. I

Noodles and soups start at 70bt and most dishes under 180bt.

When I ordered noodle soup with spareribs 75bt, the chef took out a block of dough and made the noodles on the spot. Impressive if you've ever seen it done.

Open for lunch and dinner.

• Like 2

A demonstration of making hand pulled noodles.

I just ate at Ta Hai Chinese Restaurant, Jomtien, Soi Chaiyapeuek (1 block from the beach). I am an American Chinese food lover, but I decided to go in with an open mind. No, you will not find American-Chinese food in this place. But you will find some very tasty noodle dishes (actually, I only tried one). The place is very clean and air-conditioned. Two waitresses (Thai) are nice. I think there may be two Chinese employees, one being the cook. You can watch the noodles being made by hand right in front of you. I was surprised at the amount of work that goes in to making a single bowl of noodles. I ordered Szechuan noodle (say suan on the menu). Not being an expert, all I can say is that it tasted very good. The noodles were great, and the sauce was wonderful (tomato, mushroom, and other stuff). Peppercorns? I am not sure, but it was hot to me and later my lips were a bit numb (not much). There are other things on the menu....several noodle dishes, some dim sum dishes, some stew dishes, some fried vegetable dishes (one of which was "fried potato" but I wonder if it is shredded potato). I will go back. It was a good experience for my eyes and stomach. And it was also only 70 baht for the hand-made Zsechuan noodle dish.

• Like 1

KFC is still made from chicken are u sure?
  • Like 1

Yes this is a big deal for Jomtien Chinese food lovers. They definitely do not use Sechuan peppers in any of their dishes. Confirmed to me by the chef.

Is it past sukumvit rd? Going from beach

I just ate at Ta Hai Chinese Restaurant, Jomtien, Soi Chaiyapeuek (1 block from the beach). I am an American Chinese food lover, but I decided to go in with an open mind. No, you will not find American-Chinese food in this place. But you will find some very tasty noodle dishes (actually, I only tried one). The place is very clean and air-conditioned. Two waitresses (Thai) are nice. I think there may be two Chinese employees, one being the cook. You can watch the noodles being made by hand right in front of you. I was surprised at the amount of work that goes in to making a single bowl of noodles. I ordered Szechuan noodle (say suan on the menu). Not being an expert, all I can say is that it tasted very good. The noodles were great, and the sauce was wonderful (tomato, mushroom, and other stuff). Peppercorns? I am not sure, but it was hot to me and later my lips were a bit numb (not much). There are other things on the menu....several noodle dishes, some dim sum dishes, some stew dishes, some fried vegetable dishes (one of which was "fried potato" but I wonder if it is shredded potato). I will go back. It was a good experience for my eyes and stomach. And it was also only 70 baht for the hand-made Zsechuan noodle dish.

Yes this is a big deal for Jomtien Chinese food lovers. They definitely do not use Sechuan peppers in any of their dishes. Confirmed to me by the chef.

Is it past sukumvit rd? Going from beach

Location: From (Jomtien) Beach Road, go to the police booth where Beach Road and Soi Chaiyapruek meet. Turn left on Soi Chaiyapruek (now traveling towards Sukhumvit Road) and Ta Hai Chinese restaurant is on the right about a block and a half down. In other words, it is near the beach. If traveling from Sukhumvit, go all the way down Soi Chaiyapruek and about a block before you get the Beach Road it is on your left.

• Like 1

RUNG RESTAURANT

On the same road as the new wonderful Chinese restaurant, same side, further down the road away from the beach, not as far as Jomtien 2nd road, there is a street food style Thai place offering three dishes, most notably Lanna Khao Soy Chicken!

post-37101-0-82866300-1411223857_thumb.j

Cheap cheap.

I have not tried yet.

As you can you can choose chicken rice (not Lanna)

or Khao Soy curried chicken soup (Lanna)

Rice noodles, spicy pork dip (Lanna I think)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

ANGEL'S BUFFET RESTAURANT

Central Pattaya, east of 2nd road

http://www.angelspattaya.com/#home

Location ...

well look at the map.

Generally go to the back of the Avenue Mall and turn right and go down for awhile, it will be on the left.

http://www.angelspattaya.com/#location

There's a new buffet in town, and it's good.

ANGEL'S buffet restaurant offers dinner buffet daily from 5 P.M.

249 baht and the drinks are not overpriced.

Food is European food, about half of it Italian influenced.

There is a good variety of meats, seafood, vegetables, and salads.

The dishes change daily so you never know.

One thing that impressed me is that you could have quite a healthy meal there depending on choices.

I have found the food quality and cooking to be generally at least middle level, sometimes higher.

Obviously at this price you're not going to get Australian steaks!

I was informed there would also be a breakfast and Thai lunch lunch buffet starting soon, lower priced of course, so CHECK IT OUT.

If you enjoy buffets and want to keep the wallet happy, you could do much worse.

Also note, there are no insulting Mickey Mouse buffet police tactics like time limits or plate limits.

Give this one a Jingthing thumbs up.thumbsup.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

They have what they call pricing power. Nobody else is selling Korean fried chicken in these parts. So if you want to try that or know that you want it, you will pay, or go without ...

They also have what's called high rent.

Try 300,000bt a month.

Then payroll for 15 staff, franchise fees, utilities, food costs and allot more.

Considering all that it's cheap chicken.

• Like 1

Thanks about Ta Hai Chinese Restaurant

OK ... the "secret" is out.

I will post in more detail about this place later.

I decided to let someone else be first this time!

As promised, I have now posted A LOT more information about this new restaurant.

I think it is important enough news for a dedicated thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/763181-ta-hai-brings-authentic-chinese-food-to-jomtien-chaiyapruek/

• 2 weeks later...

New Chinese restaurant opening later this month on 3rd road soi 22 thumbsup.gif

I tried to find this place and couldn't find it.coffee1.gif

Is this for real?

If so, can someone provide more specific information about name, location, side of street, nearby landmarks, details of food offered, etc.?

It's right on the corner of 3rd Road and soi 22, but is still under construction, doesn't look ready to open for a while yet. It's a big building with Chinese lanterns hanging outside and a sign in fancy Thai script. I assume it will become a restaurant.

I walked by there a few nights ago. I think it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY this location is going to be a Chinese restaurant. There is some kind of Thai Chinese Buddhist SHRINE there. Not really sure what it is. If I had to guess I would guess a place for funereal gatherings.crying.gif

Edited by Jingthing