The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

So what?

I posted the menu.

I saw the menu you posted but anyone looking at their website would not. Also that menu may not still be valid in a week or a month or a year from now.

What's the point of having a website but not keeping it up to date and informative? May as well just not have a website.

Just another example of indolence, I suppose.

By all means, report this to the tourist police.

Or maybe the indolence police.

• Like 1

Went to the "pepper & salt" resteraunt at the top of soi khao talo. Had the ribs for 280 baht. Nice serve and had top presentation but very saucey. It seems big serves r the in thing in pattaya. The chef is from the old bali breeze apparently. Nice guy who asked us about the meal. Place was very busy. Probably worth a try i guess.

• Thanks 1

Not a lot of seating so reservations may be necessary as the word spreads about this place.

Can anyone name any restaurant in Jomtien that is really that busy? I certainly dont know of any.

That new Italian place mentioned before, La Taverna Italian Bistro, was PACKED tonight.

It's new and now very popular.

I will comment about it later.

Frasers Sports Bar / Restaurant is usually busy when I go ... often VERY busy.

Isn't KISS usually busy?

I'm sure there are others.

Edited by Jingthing

LA TAVERNA ITALIAN BISTRO

Very highly regarded KOH SAMUI Italian restaurant expands to Jomtien and Pattaya

Traditional Italian dishes, varied full menu, moderate to higher prices, many homemade pasta dishes, pizza, formal service

Jomtien location on Thappraya Road a few doors down towards the beach from Simon's Fish and Chips

(map here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Simons-Fish-Chips-Jomtien-Pattaya-Thailand/183584698322108)

Currently open in Jomtien.

Will open another location soon either in or near Central Pattaya Beach Mall (was unclear about whether near or in)

This is major news for Italian food lovers.

Unlike many places, many of the pastas are freshly made.

The pizza which I will try later looks ... AMAZING.

The presentation is elegant and the service is extremely attentive.

In fact, it may be TOO attentive for many tastes.

OK, I'll admit it ... I prefer good service you don't NOTICE so much.

Some of the Thai staff likes to show off their mastery of Italian pronunciation.

I had two dishes. Both appetizers.

The meal started with a comped plate of excellent breadsticks, mediocre regular bread, some dipping oil/ balsamic, and a pleasant garlic tomato salsa type thingie.

One highly touted dish from "the gays" was the homemade meat tortellini in brodo (broth) so I had to try. 250

The homemade pasta was delectable, I wish there was more of it. Yes I am saying for me this portion was too small. Oh well.

The refined subtle broth was not as seasoned as I would like but that's me (I have a spicy food palate).

Also had the eggplant parmigiana. 240.

A generous portion for an appetizer but I was quite disappointed as I was expecting the more classic BREADED version of the vegetable.

There was no discernable breading and overall I found the dish underseasoned for my taste, but at least HEALTHY.

The tomato sauce did not stand out as special.

So basically you had plain eggplant (baked?), cheese, and sauce (topped with basil leaf) ... it wasn't bad but would never get again.

I can't fault the place as the menu doesn't say that it IS breaded and I didn't ask, but I guess at a place which does homemade pastas I expected a little more effort in the eggplant dish.

You can eat pizza or pasta for about 250 plus.

The main courses can go very high.

Drinks are priced as you might expect at this level of place. Water is 40 baht. There is no plus plus. (Yippee!)

Looking at other tables, the pastas looked very appealing (expected small portion for such an elegant restaurant).

The pizzas looked very promising and a good size for one hungry person's full meal.

I'm assuming the pizza tastes as good as it looks. I certainly hope so. Also based on how good the tortellini was I reckon any of their homemade pastas are good bets.

You can see their style of dishes on their SAMUI facebook page. I can see they have the exact same comped bread plate and menu design and the pizzas look the same.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Taverna/194244057409583

While you might tell their elegant style isn't my ideal (I prefer funkier more RUSTIC Italian places and food) I can certainly see why they succeeded in Samui and I expect them to be a BIG HIT in Jomtien and Pattaya as well.

This is not just another Italian restaurant either. When you get there are read their menu, you'll realize that. While it is traditional, they have a number of dishes you rarely see here.

As I said before, they are already packing them in, including the outside tables.

In high season, I reckon BOOKINGS will be needed.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Not a lot of seating so reservations may be necessary as the word spreads about this place.

Can anyone name any restaurant in Jomtien that is really that busy? I certainly dont know of any.

That new Italian place mentioned before, La Taverna Italian Bistro, was PACKED tonight.

It's new and now very popular.

I will comment about it later.

Frasers Sports Bar / Restaurant is usually busy when I go ... often VERY busy.

Isn't KISS usually busy?

I'm sure there are others.

Kiss is busy enough but reservations? I dont think so. I've certainly seen plenty of people going in and out of Frasers, but I wasn't aware that reservations were needed there either.

I'm curious as to what might be causing such a lot of people to be eating at La Taverna though, as one would not expect a new place to be that busy unless it was offering some special opening discount. Your reference to "the gays" later suggests that maybe it's mostly people who know each other and who often eat and drink in the other places inside the Jomtien Complex area, which presumably means that other businesses there may pay the price if people eat elsewhere nearby.

I note that another Italian bistro style place just inside Jomtien Complex closed recently.

It is low season, and most restaurants will tell you it is the the lowest of the low as Western tourists numbers shrink. However, in Jomtien I find Labocca, Gians, Frasers, Yupins, Ritz, Mata Hari, La Taverna (new) and even PonR(because they deliver) to be doing quite well. Au bon Coin on Pratumnak always requires a reservation.

No, it's not just people who know each other.

Lots of diverse people are eating at La Taverna.

I don't think many people here know about their reputation from Samui but here is my theory about why they are doing so well:

-- It's new. There is always a core of people who will try most any new place at least once.

-- Of those who have tried it, the word of mouth is excellent including on other forums.

-- It's a very attractive restaurant from the street.

-- They have unusually competent staff touting the place. Not obnoxious but actually talking up the food.

-- They have placed SAMPLES of actual dishes in front. That's unusual in the tropics! A pasta and one of those very appealing PIZZAS.

-- It's a relatively SMALL restaurant and also has outside dining.

-- Once they get two or three tables in a small restaurant, people walking by seeing all those other positive factors see people already eating there and might think ... hmm, this place must be good.

-- Once it gets half full, that response is amplified, and even more people stream in.

BASICALLY, they're succeeding so early because they know exactly what they're doing and obviously very experienced in executing that from Samui. Very smart business tactics.

This is even more impressive considering their price point ... while you could get off cheaply with pizza and water it's clear many tables are going full hog and spending much bigger with appetizer / main course / dessert / wine.

Of course if the food sucked, which it doesn't, they couldn't sustain that opening times BUZZ.

Often, it's easy to smell a dud opening restaurant thinking how could they be so STUPID.

This place is the opposite.

I'm saying this as a person who doesn't really highly value their OVER THE TOP almost ridiculously cloying service philosophy. Clearly a lot of people DO love that.

To add, some people are ALREADY booking for larger groups as it's a small place and it's filling up.

Edited by Jingthing

No, it's not just people who know each other.

Lots of diverse people are eating at La Taverna.

I don't think many people here know about their reputation from Samui but here is my theory about why they are doing so well:

-- It's new. There is always a core of people who will try most any new place at least once.

-- Of those who have tried it, the word of mouth is excellent including on other forums.

-- It's a very attractive restaurant from the street.

-- They have unusually competent staff touting the place. Not obnoxious but actually talking up the food.

-- They have placed SAMPLES of actual dishes in front. That's unusual in the tropics! A pasta and one of those very appealing PIZZAS.

-- Once they get two or three tables in a small restaurant, people walking by seeing all those other positive factors see people already eating there and might think ... hmm, this place must be good.

-- Once it gets half full, that response is amplified, and even more people stream in.

BASICALLY, they're succeeding so early because they know exactly what they're doing and obviously very experienced in executing that from Samui. Very smart business tactics.

This is even more impressive considering their price point ... while you could get off cheaply with pizza and water it's clear many tables are going full hog and spending much bigger with appetizer / main course / dessert / wine.

Of course if the food sucked, which it doesn't, they couldn't sustain that opening times BUZZ.

Often, it's easy to smell a dud opening restaurant thinking how could they be so STUPID.

This place is the opposite.

I'm saying this as a person who doesn't really highly value their OVER THE TOP almost ridiculously cloying service philosophy. Clearly a lot of people DO love that.

To add, some people are ALREADY booking for larger groups as it's a small place and it's filling up.

Interesting....La Taverna is my favourite Italian trattoria on Samui.

Consistently good...which is all I ask when I want some comfort food on the island.

It should be a good addition in Pattaya.

I noticed on the Samui forum a member said they have the best pizza on Samui.

There is a lot of competition in Pattaya for best pizza but it's going to be interesting to see how their pizza rates with people here.

So far, it doesn't appear as if they're after doing a pizza DELIVERY business.

I also wonder if their prices at/near Central will be the same or higher.

Edited by Jingthing

Indeed. Nothing worse than an empty restaurant. So many places here suffer from this.

I see that yet another Indian restaurant is soon to open opposite Central on 2nd Road, and right next door to the other two (or is three?) that either opened or revamped themselves recently.

This one replaces a real estate agency so there may be a lesson somewhere in that.

I see that yet another Indian restaurant is soon to open opposite Central on 2nd Road, and right next door to the other two (or is three?) that either opened or revamped themselves recently.

This one replaces a real estate agency so there may be a lesson somewhere in that.

Yes, the third one called CHOTLVALA will be 100 percent vegetarian.

The first one Madras Darbar, specializing in South Indian but not only, is long established here (and I suggest sticking to their South Indian choices).

The second one, NAAN N CURRY, seems to be going for a hipper vibe with their outdoor bar. It is owned by a Bangkok concern which owns three restaurants (different names) there and also SANJHA CHULHA further down 2nd road not for from Pattaya Tai.

I am a fan of Madras Darbar, tried Sanjha once and wasn't hooked, and have not yet tried Naan N Curry.

The idea of having food districts with several restaurants of the same general nationality works in a lot of countries ... the area becomes a destination and all the competing restaurants can benefit.

Indian food lovers here don't need to go to Bangkok anymore for good Indian food.

Indian tourists, unlike Chinese tourists here, more often travel independently and many of them are limited to eating Indian food even on holiday.

Sadly, the situation is very different for Chinese food ... Indian food here is exploding, growth in Chinese places for independent people is slow, slow, slow.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Update on Made in Italy

Visited today after they had been closed for 2 days - Pizza was okay but somehow different, but the spaghetti bolognese had been botched. bad. watery sauce with just a faint taste of tomato and very few very thinly hacked meat, allegedly a mix of pork and beef...

I got a hunch they have a new cook.

I noticed on the Samui forum a member said they have the best pizza on Samui.

There is a lot of competition in Pattaya for best pizza but it's going to be interesting to see how their pizza rates with people here.

So far, it doesn't appear as if they're after doing a pizza DELIVERY business.

I also wonder if their prices at/near Central will be the same or higher.

Imho its their pasta which is good...not great but always consistently good.

• Like 1

Congratulations on such a successful and long thread.

Is there a list with food type, price range, location, etc. yet?

No and there won't be.

This is too much of a moving target.

That would be a full time job.

A PAID one!

• Like 2

Ok I had to try the pizza at the new Italian restaurant Bistro Italiano in Jomtien and I was not dissappointed. I will rate it among the best Italian pizzas I've had n Thailand. Only one place can match it and thats Mimosa in soi Chaiyapruek, also Italian owned. And the prices are about the same, around 300 baht for a big one. Looking forward to try one lf the pasta dishes next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went to porkies in jomtien rompho market. Nice place but a shame about the food. Had a square pizza which was really some tomoato paste on bread. We ordered several tapas and finished it in about 5 minutes. The pork steak was ok i suppose but still left dissapointed.

Livv on Khao Talo - apart from being one of the few airconditioned restaurants on the east side, the food is excellent.

I agree, two thumbs up. I had their ribs which were superb (Tony Romas would be jealous!). They have a 25% steak discount on Saturday. Visit their FB and website. The place is small, reservations recommended and a little pricier than what some TVers might pay.

Ok I had to try the pizza at the new Italian restaurant Bistro Italiano in Jomtien and I was not dissappointed. I will rate it among the best Italian pizzas I've had n Thailand. Only one place can match it and thats Mimosa in soi Chaiyapruek, also Italian owned. And the prices are about the same, around 300 baht for a big one. Looking forward to try one lf the pasta dishes next time.

Italian restaurant or Sauna?

I tried to eat here for lunch at 12:45, Friday afternoon but the stupid management must be saving money by not turning on the air conditioning until after a customer arrives?

Sat down and realised I was going to be a sweating mess before the food arrives. Sadly it was too hot in there to even take the time to view the menu.

By By.

Edited by Jupiterjim

I didn't even know they were open for lunch. Anyway a lot of places don't turn on aircon until the first customer arrives. Did you ask them to turn it on?

Stupid policy then. It's 33 degrees today and probably 35 inside the restaurant.

Saving 10Bt. in electric by not firing up the air con an hour before lunch time. By By.

I didn't even know they were open for lunch. Anyway a lot of places don't turn on aircon until the first customer arrives. Did you ask them to turn it on?

Stupid policy then. It's 33 degrees today and probably 35 inside the restaurant.

Saving 10Bt. in electric by not firing up the air con an hour before lunch time. By By.

Up to you, but like I said, I see the same thing in a lot of places here.