The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Came past BeerFest on 2nd Rd today and saw that it was closed and workmen were knocking 7 bells out of the frontage. Not sure of they are closed for good or just doing some renovation work.

To answer my own question..... walked past there yesterday and a sign on the sheeting says they are moving to The Avenue and opening in March. Good luck there, the rents are horrendous and places open and shut with the frequency of a hookers legs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The kind of empty dish that costs 400 baht ?

Cafe Des Amis, located off Thappraya rd.
Shouldn't be a long walk if using a baht bus?
What can I say? Simply amazing. Food was fantastic and I highly recommended you try the Prawn and Avocado appetiser, the flavours were just amazing.
attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1455978927.847015.jpg

Korean Chinese Restaurant (new!)

In the same area as Caravan, above:

Location is in the Burger King and Korean internal strip mall off 2nd road, North Pattaya, beach side, further north than Big C mall.

Korean Chinese food is a specific thing. It's not what you expect from Korean or Chinese because it's KOREAN CHINESE!
Theses are the most famous dishes which this place does indeed have:
  • Jajangmyeon (Korean: 자장면, Chinese: ), steamed noodles served in a lightly flavoured black bean paste, distinctly different from the various types of zhajiang mian served in mainland China and Taiwan.
  • Jjamppong (Korean: 짬뽕, Chinese name: 炒碼麵), a spicy noodle soup flavoured with onions and chili oil. A form ofjjamppong is also the local Chinese speciality in the Japanese port city of Nagasaki (see Chanpon). The noodles are made from wheat flour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Chinese_cuisine

The prices are moderate, certainly not cheap, and for many of the family size offerings, quite expensive.

However if you just want one noodle dish, that starts at about 200 baht.

Sadly they don't have the famous DOUBLE BOWL offering where you get some of the black bean noodle stuff and some of the spicy seafood noodle soup.

But they do have SETS which include that and another dish for a group. I think for about 700 baht.

They have a decent size, but not intimidatingly large, Korean Chinese menu. Seems quite sophisticated for that genre with some variations I haven't seen before.

When I walked by the place was completely full.

I don't know whether a full banchan set is included with orders or just a little kimchi.

I didn't look too hard at the tables to see, sorry about that.

The place has a Korean name which is on the menu but you'll see the large sign out front saying:

KOREAN CHINESE RESTAURANT.

Don't confuse that with another sign on another place saying KOREAN RESTAURANT.

Didn't try yet but I will as I'm familiar with Korean Chinese food and I like it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The kind of empty dish that costs 400 baht ?

Cafe Des Amis, located off Thappraya rd.

Shouldn't be a long walk if using a baht bus?

What can I say? Simply amazing. Food was fantastic and I highly recommended you try the Prawn and Avocado appetiser, the flavours were just amazing.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1455978927.847015.jpg

Not something I'd do every day but if you can why not treat yourself?

(Yet Another) CLOSING at the Avenue Mall

That middlebrow BUFFET place on the ground floor area has now closed. It seemed to mostly attract Russians so that probably explains it.

Hopefully, it will be replaced with a new and more interesting RESTAURANT.

(Yet Another) CLOSING at the Avenue Mall

That middlebrow BUFFET place on the ground floor area has now closed. It seemed to mostly attract Russians so that probably explains it.

Hopefully, it will be replaced with a new and more interesting RESTAURANT.

All Seasons Steak Buffet ?

Think closed a few weeks back, and that was after moving from Central Festival.

Notice that Oishi Buffet restaurant still seems to do okay at the Avenue.

Yes, All Seasons closed several week ago which surprised me as it was one of the rare businesses that used to be busy in The Avenue, and not just with Russians. Plenty of Thais, Chinese and other Western farangs used to eat there and it was often packed. Some of the food on offer was indeed very acceptable there, though some was not so nice. Still, you could easily find something decent for your 299B.

A victim of the Thai rent increase phenomena perhaps? The number of deserted and failed businesses in that complex is astounding.

The branch in Central Festival was still open the last time I looked. They did have a branch at Cosy Beach but strangely that never did very good business in spite of the many Russians there and the largely captive audience.

I always assumed that All Seasons was a national chain like Sizzler, but in fact it seems to only be located in Pattaya.

Centara Pratumnak
they have a buffet for 499 thb on friday night on the ground floor. The ambience is really nice. They don't have the real big Prawn or Oyster but for 500 in a Luxury environment i think is a good deal.
They also have a buffet on saturday night on the top floor (Ruffino Restaurant) at 888 thb if i remember right. On saturday they have oysters and so one.
If you never been i think is worth a try.
Edited by marino28

I've read today the menu of the new "all american" restaurant that opened in place of shenanigans - the photos are a fail in my opinion, the food looks greasy. for the steaks there is no indication of their weight and overall I thought the food is overpriced, nearly 300 baht for 6 or 7 chicken wings, I guess a good full meal will cost about 700 to 800 baht per person.

has anyone tried it out?

• Like 1

Centara Pratumnak
they have a buffet for 499 thb on friday night on the ground floor. The ambience is really nice. They don't have the real big Prawn or Oyster but for 500 in a Luxury environment i think is a good deal.
They also have a buffet on saturday night on the top floor (Ruffino Restaurant) at 888 thb if i remember right. On saturday they have oysters and so one.

Yes, that Friday buffet isnt bad but watch out for the water (local, plain, small bottle) which will set you back another 100B or so. That's simply a rip-off and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Haven't yet tried the Saturday one.

• Like 2

I've read today the menu of the new "all american" restaurant that opened in place of shenanigans - the photos are a fail in my opinion, the food looks greasy. for the steaks there is no indication of their weight and overall I thought the food is overpriced, nearly 300 baht for 6 or 7 chicken wings, I guess a good full meal will cost about 700 to 800 baht per person.

has anyone tried it out?

The stuffed burgers are pretty good , they got a lot of positive reviews but as you said , the food is overpriced , it can't be cheap to rent at this location . But I think they are doing ok .

I went to eat at All American once, made it to the front door, looked at the menu, decided I'd never step foot in there... Doesn't matter how big their screen is, their expensive food and beer ain't worth it.

Kinda like Hooters, over priced for nothing special.

• Like 1

Yes, Centara Corporation offers good buffets, but rips you off on water, because they can.

An opposite of Centara Corp. is Everest Indian restaurant, where I dined again this evening.

Everest is a mom 'n' pop Indian, hidden down a side soi (soi 10 on the dark side of Second Road).

So nobody goes there, tho the Scandinavian restaurant next door is crowded every evening.

It's a strange scene. Two small restaurants, side-by-side, on a side soi; one crowded with convivial Northern Europeans; the other empty, tho open and welcoming. It's like this every evening.

It was an easy choice for me. I like Indian much more than Danish (food that is).

I can relate to my tablet much better than I can chat with foreigners; Everest's Wifi is excellent.

So is the food! IMHO the Indian mom here can really cook well.

I would like to nominate her as the up 'n' coming Mrs. Balbir of Pattaya.

I've become addicted to her Kadhai Chicken (200) and her Daal Makhani (140). What a Combo!

But this Sunday evening I was again the only customer. My emotions were mixed.

The flavors were heavenly. It was quiet at one of the four tables inside as I dined.

But I couldn't help notice the crowd outside next door, yet again, as always.

I feel sorry for the Indian mom who can cook well, but has a most unfortunate location.

May I appeal to those few of you who might like to save a starving Indian restaurant, to spend just a littlle bit more in the Mom-n-Pops, spend just a little bit less in the Corporatocracy that threatens to rule us all.

Yes, that Friday buffet isnt bad but watch out for the water (local, plain, small bottle) which will set you back another 100B or so. That's simply a rip-off and they should be ashamed of themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Centara Pratumnak

Anyone wanting Saturday night oysters could try the Mercure (at the back of the The Avenue) where they will get oysters, smoked salmon, BBQ crab and rock lobster and river prawns, plus a reasonable selection of other items (including real cheese) some of which a rather good (I like their spare ribs), and desserts that taste as good as they look (which can be rare in Thailand). 600B for the buffet and 30B for water.

I like that place and am always surprised that it isn't busier. Location, I suppose: if you dont know that it's there you would never find it by accident. A shame for them that their nice pool area will soon be overlooked by hundreds of condos in the new block next door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-review-thread/?p=10474365

I got around to trying the Korean Chinese restaurant previously mentioned.

I had the noodles with Korean Chinese black bean sauce and assorted seafood. Generous portion. 270 baht. No plus plus.

As expected the side dishes were basic typical Korean Chinese: raw onion, Japanese style pickles, brown dipping sauce, and cabbage kimchi.

Free cold water in a jug was provided as is traditional with Korean restaurants.

The dish itself was the best version I've ever had of that dish, but I haven't been to Korea.

I did expect the food to be good there, and indeed it is.

I found the noodles exceptional and to my taste they seemed made in house so I asked them there and they confirmed that they were.

Of course maybe that detail was lost in translation, but it doesn't matter, they tasted great!

Wow. A real find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jajangmyeon

Reading this, I suppose they really are made in house!

The version at this restaurant looks a lot better than the wiki picture. Also, it's served in a large bowl, not a plate.

Jajangmyeon uses thick noodles made from white wheat flour. The noodles, which are made entirely by hand and not by machines, are called sutamyeon (수타면; 手打麵) are praised in South Korea as an essential ingredient of good jajangmyeon.
Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

has anyone tried it out?

The stuffed burgers are pretty good , they got a lot of positive reviews but as you said , the food is overpriced , it can't be cheap to rent at this location . But I think they are doing ok .

The American Grill restaurant has to have the best burgers in town. The beef is imported and it has the charcoal flavor grilled taste with a fresh baked bun. But....for the price, the burger could include a small hand full of fat fries to go with it. The service is good. But yes, the rent of these places at the Avenue are sky-high. The BKK owners do not care about the success of a place since they can benefit taking the 1 year deposit when a place closes down and rent the empty shell to another sucker.

It appears that Kakadu, a German style restaurant in Naklua Soi 18 has bit the dust. Yesterday I saw in passing that all the furniture etc had been removed and today the shutters were down.

It was OK and I enjoyed the schnitzel there, however there is a lot of competition in the surrounding area and there does seem to be less of the elderly German longstayers around these days.

I only see elderly Germans in this area of Naklua , I wonder what will happen to all the German restaurants when they all retire for good . These places can't live on high season alone .

Balo, I think there will be plenty of Germans around for the forseeable future. Some of them even bring their German wives blink.png . You need to factor in all those from the East who had no access to Thailand (or anywhere else) before unification. Retirement was a pretty dim prospect; I'd imagine. Now they can come to Valhalla with their countrymen from the West of the country.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found a new (to me) lower cost "authentic" Chinese restaurant.

The menu is only in Chinese and Thai, no English at all, but some items have pictures.

You can use google translate or another app to translate the menu.

Location is off 3rd road, not very far north of Pattaya Klang, east side of street.

It's not actually on 3rd road but there is a Chinese restaurant sign there, at the corner where there is a Kasikorn Bank.

Roughly across from The Golf Shop.

So find that corner and walk down the soi, then turn right and you will soon see the restaurant.

It's very casual and the pictures looked good.

Can't speak to the food yet as I just looked at the menu.

For the adventurous of course.

Found a new (to me) lower cost "authentic" Chinese restaurant.

The menu is only in Chinese and Thai, no English at all, but some items have pictures.

You can use google translate or another app to translate the menu.

Location is off 3rd road, not very far north of Pattaya Klang, east side of street.

It's not actually on 3rd road but there is a Chinese restaurant sign there, at the corner where there is a Kasikorn Bank.

Roughly across from The Golf Shop.

So find that corner and walk down the soi, then turn right and you will soon see the restaurant.

It's very casual and the pictures looked good.

Can't speak to the food yet as I just looked at the menu.

For the adventurous of course.

How did you find it? It seems so out of the way.