The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Just ate at a new place insideTukom (that computer/phone store) called The Coffee Club. It was actually good. They have a 99 bhat special now for a select number of dishes, including two that I like: Sweet and Sour Chicken, and Singapore Noodles. The food is made with quality ingredients. And the staff are nice.

A few branches around town.

The original being in Royal Garden.

Yes, but it's my impression the one at Tukcom has a different menu. I haven't seen the 99 baht Asian noodle stuff promoted at their other places. I could be wrong, as I've never eaten at any of them.

The others are part of an Oz chain. Where in TukCom is this one located?

Just ate at a new place insideTukom (that computer/phone store) called The Coffee Club. It was actually good. They have a 99 bhat special now for a select number of dishes, including two that I like: Sweet and Sour Chicken, and Singapore Noodles. The food is made with quality ingredients. And the staff are nice.

Yes, but it's my impression the one at Tukcom has a different menu. I haven't seen the 99 baht Asian noodle stuff promoted at their other places. I could be wrong, as I've never eaten at any of them.

Same floor as Starbucks......enter from that side and go to the first main door on the left....the place is tucked in a narrow space right there. You can't beat the 99 bhat specials, even though they are not 5-star gourmet items.

It's the same brand but perhaps they're offering something different there.

It's on the east side of TukCom, at the middle entrance level from that soi.

It's the same brand but perhaps they're offering something different there.

It's on the east side of TukCom, at the middle entrance level from that soi.

Tks, love my sweet & sour so will give it a try. The one at Royal has a good smoked salmon wrap.

By the way, the Ukrainian place in Jomtien, did you notice perogies on the menu?

Tks, love my sweet & sour so will give it a try. The one at Royal has a good smoked salmon wrap.

By the way, the Ukrainian place in Jomtien, did you notice perogies on the menu?

They have vareniki (dumplings without meat) as they're called in Ukraine with a choice of fillings. I had the cottage cheese and they were excellent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierogi

Meat dumplings they have are called Pelmeni.

Edited by Jingthing

The chain's been around for years and yes the food is quite good but not for the Cheap Charlie crowd. Newest branch is at Harbor Mall.

Maybe not post if you dont know anything about the place! The Naklua branch had a special 79 baht Thai specials menu for a long time but no longer. Thai and farang food is quite good in an institutional sort of way.

Not entirely correct. Yes, the original chain is from Oz but Minor Group (Sizzler, Pizza Company, Swensons, etc) has bought the franchise for Thailand.

Not entirely correct. Yes, the original chain is from Oz but Minor Group (Sizzler, Pizza Company, Swensons, etc) has bought the franchise for Thailand.

? So not correct saying Hooters here is not an American chain because it is franchised? AR today aren't we.

They have vareniki (dumplings without meat) as they're called in Ukraine with a choice of fillings. I had the cottage cheese and they were excellent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierogi

Meat dumplings they have are called Pelmeni.

Thanks, I will give it a try. Perogies are nearly a staple food back home. Many Ukes homesteaded in our area in the 1800's. Deep fried potato & cheddar with fried onions with sour cream, heaven.

The chain's been around for years and yes the food is quite good but not for the Cheap Charlie crowd.

I think you forgot to add ..... of which I am not a member of ?

? So not correct saying Hooters here is not an American chain because it is franchised? AR today aren't we.

That's not what you said.

As Jingthing is the most eminent restaurant critic on Thai Visa and most of us appreciate his imput in this area, wouldn't it be better to just humor him?

108130072.jpg?v=1&g=fs1%7C0%7CVTA%7C30%7

No he's not. He hadn't even heard of brisket burgers! He seems to know nothing about either modern or unusual food trends. Also he refers to people as ' dudes'. Nuff said. The thread is quite a good idea but as with many TV threads ignorance and judgementalism predominate. Edited by The manic

That's not what you said.

Well what I stated was in the Queen's English, not whatever you Trumpsters speak.

As Jingthing is the most eminent restaurant critic on Thai Visa and most of us appreciate his imput in this area, wouldn't it be better to just humor him?

108130072.jpg?v=1&g=fs1%7C0%7CVTA%7C30%7

No he's not. He hadn't even heard of brisket burgers! He seems to know nothing about either modern or unusual food trends. Also he refers to people as ' dudes'. Nuff said. The thread is quite a good idea but as with many TV threads ignorance and judgementalism predominate.

LOL! What's that saying they have about a pot and a kettle?

Williams restaurant Tappraya on hill finally appears to be shut down. Hoping for a new restaurant in the space.

Nayeb Iranian restaurant near Beverly Plaza hotel south pattaya reopens after a very long closure with a modified menu. I liked the old menu better.

I certainly did not mean to instigate a riot! Does it really matter who owns the place? I just wanted to point out that there is a 99 bhat special promotion at The Coffee Club inside Tuckom. I have eaten there twice--the first time I ate Singapore Noodles (really tasty), and the second time I ate Sweet and Sour Chicken (much better than most Thai versions). And let me add, if you like homemade soups, Rich Man Poor Man in Jomtien is making excellent clam chowder and green pea and ham soup, among others (well worth trying). Over and out........

I very much agree...for those who like Thai food but prefer it a bit more "Westernized," like me, The Coffee Club is great. They have a good selection of the Thai basics that most Western patrons would like. The decor is hip-industrial for those who appreciate such things, the utensils are clean, and there's air-con. However, you will pay 3-4x the price of street-food for such style and comfort so soi-eaters be forewarned. The Western staples are pretty good as well but again, a little pricey (for some). Also, the prices for the same dishes vary by location, with the most expensive being at the Royen branch.

The specials may not be on at the moment or sometimes they just don't bring it out...you have to ask for the "Thai specials" menu. Or it may be that they're not offered at the Royen branck anymore...as like I said, being attached to a mall and the Mariott Hotel, it's there most expensive branch and maybe no need to offer a lower-price menu. (By the way, the portions are also smaller...so really it more of an option for a "small" or "regular" size.)

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Anyway Coffee Club Royal Garden definitely is not offering 99 baht noodle specials as at Tukcom. No brisket "burgers" either.

Has anyone checked the one in Harbor Mall? I haven't see mention of it in this particular discussion.

Update on Thai Express. Royal Garden Mall where I liked the mussaman. Before I said no plus plus. Not exactly correct. The 7 percent vat is included in the menu prices.

I "needed" to go back to try the stuffed chicken wings at 140. Presented were 3 wings and this was a really fun dish to eat. You're basically not really eating chicken. It's the skin fat only with no bones covering kind of a fish mousse with subtle spicing. Too subtle for me but I enjoyed this dish and you probably will too!

Less wonderful for me was the seafood pad Thai at 200. I was attracted to the fancy toppings and the menu hype about having a secret royal cuisine ingredient in the spice sauce. Well, the toppings were enjoyable especially the fried fish filets, but sadly the overwhelming flavor of the spicing was sugar. Basically ruined the dish for me ... way too sweet. Somehow I doubt sugar is a secret ingredient. Oh well!

I am not a big pad Thai eater. In fact haven't had it for years. I have had it served that sweet on the street but you can tell them to cook it less sweet. I didn't think to special order the dish at Thai Express because I forgot about that issue but it was informative to see how they cook it by default.

Edited by Jingthing

Anyway Coffee Club Royal Garden definitely is not offering 99 baht noodle specials as at Tukcom. No brisket "burgers" either.

Has anyone checked the one in Harbor Mall? I haven't see mention of it in this particular discussion.

Harbor branch is offering them...

post-167660-0-63162900-1464236741_thumb.

The pineapple fried rice is scrumptious ☺

• Like 1

Williams restaurant Tappraya on hill finally appears to be shut down. Hoping for a new restaurant in the space.

Nayeb Iranian restaurant near Beverly Plaza hotel south pattaya reopens after a very long closure with a modified menu. I liked the old menu better.

I rode by Williams 2-6x a day since it opened. Cannot recall a single customer ever going in nor out? The Apple place, lePomme?, further towards Jomtien Beach has cut back it's hours and looks on life support.

I've had a few meals at El Greco Greek & Mediterranean Restaurant on Soi Bongkoch. Souvlaki, pastitsio, baklava, and honey balls. They are all pretty good! Its nice to have something different in Pattaya. They're open everyday from 1:00pm until 11:30pm.

• Like 2

The Apple place, lePomme?, further towards Jomtien Beach has cut back it's hours and looks on life support.

Yesterday afternoon it was completely closed, as it was at about 19.30 one evening last week.

I noticed that too.

That place is (was?coffee1.gif ) a cool casually elegant place to hang out. A different feel for that area.

But I never found the menu offerings very coherent or particularly exciting and what I did eat there didn't seem to match the level of the atmosphere.

It was obviously a significant effort to get that place open so sad to see them fade if indeed that's happening.

Edited by Jingthing