The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Hit and Run Thread FIND THE RESTAURANT MYSTERY challenge!:partytime2:

Now, for some fun.

A major new CHINESE restaurant has opened up somewhere in PATTAYA.

It's likely the best CHINESE restaurant to open up in PATTAYA this CENTURY.

I know about it, I have pictures, but JUST FOR FUN ... readers out there ... BE THE FIRST TO NAME IT.

(No, it is not the Sechuan hot pot place on 3rd road so don't name that.)

KONG JUU

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

KONG JUU

Incorrect. But where is this KONG JUU and what's it about?

Thanks for playing though.

It's possible you got the name wrong ... but by a lot, so just checking.

In case people are wondering why I don't just say ... the reason is to invite and involve MORE PEOPLE to get actively involved in the fun and exciting "SPORT" of discovering new local restaurants, especially when they're exceptionally good, which is rare, but makes it even sweeter when it happens.

See a new place? CHECK IT OUT if even just to look at the menu to see if it looks boring same old or interesting and unusual!

(And share.)

Nobody here can be everywhere ... it's a big area with lots of more hidden areas ... in my case I'm especially limited by baht bus access. 

Edited by Jingthing

OK, I found info about KONG JUU. Not the place I was referring to.

Has anyone been to KONG JUU? It sounds like kind of a tourist trap gimmick to me, but would love to hear more info about the FOOD, MENU, and PRICES.

It's on Pratumnak Hill. 

https://issuu.com/aaronskinner1/docs/pcu_30_-_oct_edition

Also to add, it's not clear if KONG JUU is actually even open yet.

http://newnordicgroup.com/drinking-dining/

The place I'm referring to is targeted to actual CHINESE people, not tourists wanting to "learn" about Chinese food and culture. Not about fancy decor. About FOOD. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 10/10/2016 at 4:08 PM, Jingthing said:

I have kind of a funny (pathetic?) development to report about this new "buffet" restaurant.

Beautiful and expensive looking sign still up saying it's a BUFFET, but guess what, no buffet, it "didn't work" so back to the drawing board.

Strange. I would have thought that a buffet concept is one of the easiest to make work here, unless you choose a location with little passing trade or you are paying too much rent.

10 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

The Avenue kiss of death strikes again. Amazing.

Yeah, afraid I saw that one coming the first time I looked at their menu and prices when they first opened. 

That Chinese (mostly for tour groups) place about the American location is still going, right? So it's not necessarily about the location but it must be tough there rent-wise.

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Strange. I would have thought that a buffet concept is one of the easiest to make work here, unless you choose a location with little passing trade or you are paying too much rent.

You have a point but who knows what kind of internal issues any business has. That location actually looked really really good for a buffet concept, in the middle of a restaurant row with lots of foot traffic.

A mystery I guess.

Edited by Jingthing

My previously posted "fun" challenge for a member to name possibly the most amazing authentic Chinese restaurant to open locally this CENTURY is still ON.

However, I will hold back the PICTURES that I have given the current display format of the forum. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 13/10/2016 at 3:22 PM, Jingthing said:

That Chinese (mostly for tour groups) place about the American location is still going, right?

I think so. But would it be if 95% of their clientele didn't arrive pre-booked in a bus, and they had to rely on passing trade? I suspect not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

I think so. But would it be if 95% of their clientele didn't arrive pre-booked in a bus, and they had to rely on passing trade? I suspect not.

That's a great point. It's a place for tour groups. It's open to the public though except when they're too full with groups. 

Mata Hari lunch menu

After somebody reported seeing a sign out earlier this month for a *discounted* price lunch service at the venerable institution that is Mata Hari, I went and had a try.

The new menu is just a page with light options like omelet and schnitzels, priced around 300-350 per dish. They would cook you dish from the regular full price menu if you asked, providing that they're not too busy, which, by the look of things... never.

We were the only table there... Louie the proprietor says he's doing it as en experiment since the kitchen staff's there anyway... it is by no means full service like the evenings, no waiter, just the kitchen staff and owners.

It'd be interesting to see if this'll develop into a 'brunch' destination like Casa Pascal 

The only problem is that not many people knows about this yet... 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Hmm. Doesn't sound like they're all in on that. Thanks for the info.

Look on the good side is that you're getting a chef's table experience for cheaper than the normal price... with the whole restaurant to yourself.... come to think of it, what's the popular brunch options these days? the Hilton? 

On 29/09/2016 at 11:21 PM, peeba7 said:

If you like really 'ethnic' pre-cooked low cost thai meals, check out Khao Poon Resturant, on soi BhoaKhao, just past jasmine, heading towards Pat. Tai.on the opposite side of the street.
I think it's a new small 'hole in the wall' place but the smells stopped me and I tasted three dishes, all superb thai cooking, or maybe I was just very hungry.
This is worth at least one revisit.  Very friendly staff, such a nice change, and the chef even speaks English!

Exactly where is this place,I know the area well but I cannot find it?

Look on the good side is that you're getting a chef's table experience for cheaper than the normal price... with the whole restaurant to yourself.... come to think of it, what's the popular brunch options these days? the Hilton? 

Well OK but the way you described the lunch menu options didn't sound that compelling. Yes I know it's a very good restaurant.
  • Like 1

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 2:02 AM, petermik said:

This is how I found it, I was walking to soi diana from pattaya tai and the smells hit me.  It is past the southern lotus express,  if you are heading to S.D. on the other side of the street, past the curve and a few massage shops, small place, very easy to miss. Best of luck.. It was still there yesterday,  it almost looks like someone's house and a small private party.   The only disappointment was the sprouts but no where is perfect.  What I tasted was so good and rich it could pass for gourmet in the west, but super cheap here! Your results may vary. I hope this helps and best of luck finding it.  

I will preface this one by saying I rarely eat meats, I am a fish man, meaning I am not blowing wind up anyone's backside:

The new central renovation now provides very good barbeque chicken (ok they did in the past) but now they have beef stew and barbeque pork, for the price, I was tempted to keep this one to myself, but what the hey.  What goes around comes around.  Really good satisfying 'rib sticking  eats' at a good price and buy as much or as little as you wish.

Be sure to visit the o top shop across the hall for a 35-40 baht salad, not 85 at central and fresher.  

13 hours ago, digbeth said:

come to think of it, what's the popular brunch options these days? the Hilton? 

The Hilton only does brunch on Sunday, and even then it isn't what I would call a brunch. Other days it's a regular lunch. As with almost everywhere the price goes up and the quality goes down, but the main drawback to the Hilton these days is the occasional invasion by noisy Chinese groups. Puts me right off.

For a proper brunch (ie a meal served from mid-morning till early afternoon that includes breakfast items and lunch items) Casa Pascal is still the only real contender as far as I know. Odd as in a "party town" one would expect more places to cater to late risers.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, peeba7 said:

This is how I found it, I was walking to soi diana from pattaya tai and the smells hit me.  It is past the southern lotus express,  if you are heading to S.D. on the other side of the street, past the curve and a few massage shops, small place, very easy to miss. Best of luck.. It was still there yesterday,  it almost looks like someone's house and a small private party.   The only disappointment was the sprouts but no where is perfect.  What I tasted was so good and rich it could pass for gourmet in the west, but super cheap here! Your results may vary. I hope this helps and best of luck finding it.  

On 10/18/2016 at 1:02 PM, petermik said:

OK thats much more accurate a location than you previously described near to Jasmine House,so its near to BriNJoy hotel which is just before Nature View Hotel................walking up from Tai is it on the left or right ?

Thanks

On 10/19/2016 at 11:08 AM, Jingthing said:

Right. Don't get too excited. It's a tiny hole in the wall. 

OK promise not to..... but if you know the exact location why not spill the beans,as for all its on a baht bus route and being an expert I,m certain you will know................calm down now and take 3 breaths before U reply JT :sleepy:

On 10/19/2016 at 11:08 AM, Jingthing said:

Right. Don't get too excited. It's a tiny hole in the wall. 

Being from good old blighty and you coming from the land of plenty has led to the wrong interpretation of the above reply.

In the UK the reply should have been "Its on the right,but don,t get too excited its a tiny hole in the wall" and as I,m a small person a tiny hole in the wall IS something to get excited about............but thanks JT anyhow.. and I hope my little correction does not cause a gasket to blow.

Have a nice day now :thumbsup:

• Like 1

OK, now this makes sense.:coffee1:

William's Restaurant (OUT OF BUSINESS) which was a concept I never understood for the location is transforming into another location of

http://pattaya.zagranitsa.com/place/20634/williams-restaurant

HOPF BREW HOUSE (famous local location on Pattaya Beach road, near Royal Garden Mall). 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d3268218-Reviews-Hopf_Brew_House-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

"Opening Soon"

Sounds like a winner!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

William's Restaurant (OUT OF BUSINESS) which was a concept I never understood for the location is transforming into another location of

HOPF BREW HOUSE (famous local location on Pattaya Beach road, near Royal Garden Mall). 

OK, that at least has a reasonable chance of succeeding. The main location is very popular with all sorts (weekender Thais, local Thais, expats, tourists) and surprisingly enough does fairly good pizza for fairly reasonable prices, though they must make a lot on the drinks and other non-pizza dishes are quite pricey.

10 hours ago, KittenKong said:

OK, that at least has a reasonable chance of succeeding. The main location is very popular with all sorts (weekender Thais, local Thais, expats, tourists) and surprisingly enough does fairly good pizza for fairly reasonable prices, though they must make a lot on the drinks and other non-pizza dishes are quite pricey.

I hope they can find decent band for the second location

Thappraya/Jomtien 2nd road is shaping up to be quite a nice area for restaurants come to think of it, Mata Hari, Bruno's, Pastrami on Rye, Indian by Nature and Pan Pan... all are Pattaya institutions now...

Who knows how the off-street parking situation will be 10-15 years down the road