The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Loved the mussels dish I had. Moulles provincial 169.

One egg is un oeuf (enough) but one dish of moules certainly is not.

So for my moules kick I prefer to go to the Friday all-you-can-eat do at Aroi restaurant on Sukumvit 89 (that's the soi across from Makro). 335B includes salad bar and starters.

They also do buffets mid-week and on Sunday, and most weeks they do some sort of special meal too.

• Like 2

A lot of Thai chefs are a bit like some of the ladies we may know of in this city. They have a talent and travel the world to earn better money than they could ever earn here. Cooking good Western food comes as naturally to them as cooking good Thai food.

I know of one particular gent who has cheffed at UN army bases cooking a wide array of food for a wide array of nationalities. He is currently pondering an offer to work in Ghana. I have it on good authority that his Thai food is top notch.

So for my moules kick I prefer to go to the Friday all-you-can-eat do at Aroi restaurant on Sukumvit 89 (that's the soi across from Makro). 335B includes salad bar and starters.

They also do buffets mid-week and on Sunday, and most weeks they do some sort of special meal too.

Thanks for that on topic mention of a specific Pattaya area restaurant.

Sounds like a good tip.

There are surely a number of places in town that do mussels.

I guess the exceptional thing about Le Bistrot is that in my opinion they are good and also quite low priced.

I understand what you are saying that mussels can be a light meal. In the case of Le Bistrot my experience was that when paired with the frittes it was enough for a meal perhaps having some fruit after. Also they sell the salad as well. I would have preferred that they offer bread for dipping in the broth but they don't.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Thank you, I didn't know it. Just a very bad location to go back home after drinking wine.

https://www.facebook.com/aroipattayapubresto/

Oh, a genius business owner who has a facebook page ! How can anybody think that it's acceptable to have a business without website or facebook page in 2017 is beyond understanding. Then people here wonder why businesses closes daily in Thailand, when the only reason is the ridiculous owners.

It is on topic to post a specific Pattaya restaurant Facebook or TripAdvisor page.

A general discussion of restaurants use of them and the business reasons to do so is not on topic.

Anyone that wants to discuss an off topic general thing in any detail that is not about a specific Pattaya area restaurant please open a separate thread.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There are surely a number of places in town that do mussels.

I guess the exceptional thing about Le Bistrot is that in my opinion they are good and also quite low priced.

I understand what you are saying that mussels can be a light meal. In the case of Le Bistrot my experience was that when paired with the frittes it was enough for a meal perhaps having some fruit after.

There are several places that do moules but as far as I know none (apart from Aroi) are all-you-can-eat. Unless you count the All Seasons buffet which does include mussels as one of the dishes (and they aren't bad at all, if a bit small).

Several years ago there was a short-lived venture next door to Friendship which did all-you-can-eat mussels and chips (moules frites) for about 150B once a week but that didn't last.

The problem with mussels is that the dish looks big but by the time you have removed the inedible part there is not much left. Like oysters and artichokes. It's particularly irritating if you order just one bowl of mussels and many of the shells are empty, which has happened to me. When I eat mussels I do enjoy the full French experience of plenty of mussels, plenty of freshly cooked chips and plenty of cold beer.

• Like 2

Yes for a number of years Le Parrots did an all you can eat Mussels night but I think they stopped. I agree the concept is a good one and if anyone knows about any other Pattaya area restaurant currently doing that please mention.

Perhaps the mussels night at Patricks Soi Diana is all you can eat?

If someone knows please post.

One great thing about Patricks is that their fries are great being a Belgian place. Not cheap though.

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes for a number of years Le Parrots did an all you can eat Mussels night but I think they stopped. I agree the concept is a good one and if anyone knows about any other Pattaya area restaurant currently doing that please mention.

I've seen occasional signs up for mussels at Le Parrot fairly recently (was it a Friday?) when driving past but nothing to make me think that it was all-you-want. Maybe it's just poor communication on their part.

I know nothing about Patricks but it has to be worth looking at. I find that I rarely go down that little alley these days as parking is a bit distant. Must make the effort.

11 hours ago, KittenKong said:

There are several places that do moules but as far as I know none (apart from Aroi) are all-you-can-eat. Unless you count the All Seasons buffet which does include mussels as one of the dishes (and they aren't bad at all, if a bit small).

Several years ago there was a short-lived venture next door to Friendship which did all-you-can-eat mussels and chips (moules frites) for about 150B once a week but that didn't last.

The problem with mussels is that the dish looks big but by the time you have removed the inedible part there is not much left. Like oysters and artichokes. It's particularly irritating if you order just one bowl of mussels and many of the shells are empty, which has happened to me. When I eat mussels I do enjoy the full French experience of plenty of mussels, plenty of freshly cooked chips and plenty of cold beer.

And plenty of bread. Of course nobody can be full with only mussels.

But I guess that for this price they give local mussels ? My friends and me have been sick with local mussels and will never eat them again. Can you eat them ?

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If someone knows please post.

One great thing about Patricks is that their fries are great being a Belgian place. Not cheap though.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d3738175-Reviews-Patrick_s_Belgian_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

7 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

That didn't answer my question about whether Patrick's mussel night is an all you can eat deal. 

Yes, I could call them. Don't care enough to do that. I asked if anyone reading this KNEW. 

Edited by Jingthing

Update

Vietnamese Culinary

on Pattaya Klang

Details already posted here numerous times

This info is a little dated but I'll post it anyway. This place seems to be struggling a bit. The language issue and the last time I went the aircon was broken. Hopefully they fixed it by now.

I was curious about the two sticky rice items on their newer menu.

One turned out to be basically a strange (to westerners) breakfast food of a bowl of sticky rice with another bowl of clear sweet stuff that you're supposed to mix. To me ... baby food.

Never again on that one.

The other one sticky rice with "mine" is sticky rice with perhaps pork or beef. I asked for the pork version and got this pork cake thing pictured. I liked it OK.

viet2stickyricemine60b.jpg.e3cede423787c8c2652e822899b6fb2e.jpg

I noticed on their beef pho that they use wide rice noodles and the broth was too weak. Not sure if it changed or not but less into their pho than before.

Oh, here is the highlight. 

They serve either the papaya salad or a banana flower salad. The banana flower salad is not on the menu so you have to ask. I loved it but they don't always have it. The first time it was too sweet so asked for less sugar the next time and that was fixed.

The default meat add for the banana flower salad is chicken. I prefer that to the beef. 

I like their papaya salad too which is default served with beef. But the banana flower salad is more interesting. 

viet.jpg.08473de6c23c0630ef770b2f46e85ca6.jpg

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bangkokairportlink said:

But I guess that for this price they give local mussels ? My friends and me have been sick with local mussels and will never eat them again. Can you eat them ?

Eaten them hundreds of times over 40+ years. Not had a problem so far. I always sniff them before putting them in my mouth, as I do with oysters.

• Like 2

Shellfish eating health concerns are legitimate but I think more fit in a separate thread as a general discussion, if anyone is really that interested.

I take my chances and no serious problems but it's not that rare that people do get sick from eating fish and shellfish. 

Another point, perhaps sadly, if you do think you became ill from eating at a specific Pattaya area restaurant, it's really not a good idea to name and shame the place due to the laws in Thailand. 

Even true information can cause a legal problem.

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Shellfish eating health concerns are legitimate but I think more fit in a separate thread as a general discussion, if anyone is really that interested.

I take my chances and no serious problems but it's not that rare that people do get sick from eating fish and shellfish. 

Another point, perhaps sadly, if you do think you became ill from eating at a specific Pattaya area restaurant, it's really not a good idea to name and shame the place due to the laws in Thailand. 

Even true information can cause a legal problem.

Cheers. 

Shellfish are frequently cited as the cause of allergic reactions but they are no more likely to cause food poisoning than any other food.

3 minutes ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

Shellfish are frequently cited as the cause of allergic reactions but they are no more likely to cause food poisoning than any other food.

That's debatable and frankly I would be fine debating that on a separate thread, if you want to start one. 

This thread is not for that kind of GENERAL discussion. 

This thread is about focusing on specific Pattaya area restaurants. 

Edited by Jingthing

17 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Chez Bernard done a great mussel dish, Soi 1. I wonder what ever happened to him?

Nathans in Jomtiem do a nice mussel starter dish.

What are you saying, that Chez Bernard closed? I never ate there.

Yes, Natans is quite popular and gets high ratings on tripadvisor, for whatever that's worth. 

I ate there once but didn't really love the food and for some reason was put off by the vibe there as well.

But we all have different tastes. 

Edited by Jingthing

That's your choice not to go there or anywhere, but is it really necessary to personally insult the people working there? I don't get that. It's offensive and rude. I question the sincerity of your participation in this thread. It seems your main intent is to be provocative and insulting as above.

Also -- who ever heard of a dog that wouldn't eat meat regardless of style?

I have never represented this Viet place as a world class restaurant. It's more like a hole in the wall. It's an option is all. 

Information about restaurants here does not necessarily imply "raves", recommendations, or endorsements.

Only sharing information so that others can decide whether that's something they'd like to try. 

To add, if I've got it wrong and you really are sincere about participating here -- a SINCERE report about your obviously bad experience at the Viet restaurant (assuming it wasn't a fictional visit) would have included a description of the dishes that you ordered and what it was about them that you found lacking.

Cheers. 

Edited by Rimmer
Quoted reply of removed troll post removed

Vietnam Culinary

As far as the pork in the picture. I don't know how familiar people are with Vietnamese food but that represents a very common and authentic preparation in some Vietnamese dishes. As cakes. I like that style but I've had better. A while back I was told I could choose pork or beef with the sticky rice with "mine" dish, but I'm not sure if that's really true. Never heard of a Viet beef cake like that.  Obviously calling it "mine" on the menu was a lost in translation mistake which is one reason I wanted to try it to see what it actually was. Now I know, and anyone reading this thread can know as well. Even people with hungry dogs. 

4 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

How can you eat this ugly pork that even my dog would not touch.

Looks like an escalope to me. Not surprising as Vietnam was a French colony and many French recipes have been adopted (and modified) there.

Not the most beautiful or inspiring dish in the world but not the worst either.

UPDATE 

on my previously posted Sichuan restaurant OVERVIEW post which was here:

As previously updated but I'll mention again Sichuan 88 is CLOSED.

The news today is about another Sichuan restaurant on 3rd road.

The sign says CHINESE RESTAURANT.

It's across the street from Liberty Computers, 3rd road.

libertymap.jpg.3e3c0c6ee3a111d1870032556045d453.jpg

Turns out they have the same menu as the "Chinese Garden Restaurant" on 2nd road in the old thread.

Both places are related to this other restaurant in Naklua that I've never been to but I can post a map.

IMG_20170427_155756.jpg.4d3e0262185819b0fd59b86a61c05df9.jpg

At this new to me place on 3rd road, I tried one of my favorite Sichuan dishes, spicy "mala" fish pot. At 320 baht, a good deal for this dish in the local market. I requested LOTS of Sichuan peppers (needed in this dish) and as you can see in the picture, that's what I got.

IMG_20170427_160536.jpg.68d794e806e592072e2428dce762c165.jpg

Large. Lots of fresh fish. Vegetables in it. Super spicy.

But, and this is a huge but, the Sichuan peppers (as is sadly so common in Pattaya) were COMPLETELY STALE.

So not only did they not provide what you want from Sichuan peppers, the STALE flavor dominated the dish, almost ruining it. 

Oh well!

Not sure who goes to this restaurant. It's way too small for big tour groups, it's clearly not catering to Thais, and they definitely don't expect many Westerners (but quite welcoming of course). 

I would probably go back there (or one of their sister restaurants) but not for dishes that feature Sichuan peppers.

Some sample menu items --

Dong Bei spicy salad 170

Tofu pan 200

Gong bao chicken 220

Cumin lamb 360

Fish flavor eggplant 200

Mapo tofu 190

Pork dumplings 200

Edited by Jingthing

On 6/5/2017 at 4:44 PM, Jingthing said:

Mystery BEEF restaurant

twi.jpg.0880ef745faf8cba16b6fe1eba525529.jpg

I noticed this odd little BEEF restaurant from a car.

It's on 3rd road, west side, not very far south of Pattaya Klang.

I know nothing more about it but I think I saw people inside. Doing what? Can't say. 

Mysterious, dodgy looking people, could be ALIENS.

What's happening in there? Help solve the mystery!

(If you dare.)

IMG_20170430_173403.jpg.aa48e518db59bd34136930995cb413d9.jpg

I'm pretty sure this place is closed. I've passed it walking a few times and it has a sign up saying for rent or sale or something.

• Like 1

Not very exciting news but news nonetheless.

Bon Chon Korean chicken is opening in Central Mall.

I like Bon Chon but they're already located at Royal Garden just down the road.

Not sure if they'll keep both locations but I reckon so.

Looking at the Central Festival website I see this item about CHABUTON Japanese Ramen specialty restaurant. 

http://www.centralfestival.co.th/en/category-articles/food/page/1/

Date of MARCH 2017?!?

chab.jpg.f281b30a575eb516ec5c839f297dba65.jpg

My understanding is that their brand is much better than the standard "Thai taste" "Japanese" restaurant chains in the malls here. Which I have tried and which I do not like.

But it never opened, did it?

Walked around tonight and didn't see it. 

Edited by Jingthing