The Pitfalls Of Renting An Apartment

Murf

Hey guys.

In April i will be in Bkk hoping to stay a while, 3 months minimum.

So i will be looking for an apartment. I have short listed a few that i plan on viewing when i arrive.

Is the best way - to pre-book a viewing, or just turn up on the day?

Can anyone offer any advice on the Do's and Dont's.

The questions to ask, and what to look out for.

Are apartments generally full, or do most have rooms spare?

There are things i probably haven't thought of, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :o

Hey guys.

In April i will be in Bkk hoping to stay a while, 3 months minimum.

Can anyone offer any advice on the Do's and Dont's.

The questions to ask, and what to look out for.

Find out if the electricity, water and cable (TV) fees are included in your rent. You may get a shock when you see your first electricity bill, especially if you like your air-conditioner ! I live in a cheap, Thai style apartment. Last month, my electricity bill was more than my rent !!! :o

Security. Are there steel grates on the windows ? Does the door-jamb look like it's been jimmied before ? Is there a hasp for a padlock on the door ? Is there a secure place to lock up valuables (like money, passport, plane tickets, cameras and so on).

Is it a "serviced" apartment ? (Serviced Apartment = fancy word for hotel. The change the sheets, towels, restock the toilet paper, empty the garbage and clean the room everyday, just like a hotel. Considerably more expensive than an ordinary apartment).

If it is a serviced apartment, lock up your valuables anytime you are going out.

Obviously, check the apartment first before making a commitment. A buddy of mine made the mistake of agreeing to rent the first place he looked at, for 3 months. His balcony looks down on a busy intersection on South Pattaya Road. Noisy all day and night, and lots of pollution. Not to mention that he has to access his apartment through the front of a shop house (somewhat inconvenient at night when they shut those sliding metal doors).

Even if you like the apartment, don't make a commitment until you've checked a couple of places out. You'll find apartments for rent everywhere. Even if one is full, the manager/owner will no doubt be able to point you towards others that have vacancies.

Check out the bathroom. Many Thai apartments have "squat" toilets and Thai style showers (a shower head on a flexible hose, no shower stall or curtains, which can lead to your entire bathroom getting soaked everytime you ab nam.

Is there anywhere to cook ? I've seen lots of apartments that don't have any kind of kitchen/kitchenette. Many Thais don't cook in their apartments, preferring to buy their food from vendors. Some may have a rice steamer and/or water heater. The few dishes they have are washed in the bathroom sink.

Have you visited Thailand before ? If not, be prepared for a bit of a shock. Many things are quite different here.

Have fun !

Thanks for the advice.

I have been to Thailand before yes, but it never fails to shock me one way or another :o

i have been in three places - all around 20K/mo. even though the place was cleaner

when i left, and the lease stipulated a cleaning fee only if necessary, all deducted

about 5K for 'cleaning'. in one case, they even tried to hit me for water damage for

a leaky pipe (that was even there before i moved in), or dried/cracked urathene on

a wood floor that was exposed to sun.

as in your other response, look at the electricity rates. for apartments, this is a

money maker and there is no incentive to provide effecient appliances.

good luck.

check out www.mrroomfinder.com and ask questions there.

I thought there was a sub-forum on TV but can't see it now.

I've lived in many different apartments.

Some were about 3500 a month, with swimming pool, sauna, gym, bar, snooker room, karaoke.

They might be 5,000 a month now.

Really depends what price range you're looking for.

For the best bargains it takes some time. I got a very nice on in central bkk for 10,000 a month and the people upstairs were paying 25,000 a month, and 30,000.

Whenever you go to the apartments ask the people already syaing there what they think of it and how much they are paying.

Edited by Neeranam

there are plenty of good places for 6000 to 10000 a month. you can get a serviced apartment near lumpini park for 6,500 a month, no bills to pay.

check in the day and later at night for noise levels etc. if you move into a thai place be prepared for the isaan music at all hours (usually accompanied by some excrutiating karaoke singing!)

This is all good stuff - thanks.

Price range is around the 10k mark.

Want something pretty central, but as long as its close to the BTS i'm not too bothered.

Asoke/Nana/Polnchit areas would be ideal.

I have tried mrroomfinder thats where my short list is from.

I want somewhere;

with a direct phone line - for internet.

with a pool and gym - either or both.

furnished

cable t.v...

security!!

I've seen some decent ones on there - can i just turn up and view when i land in Bkk?

Whats a good price for 1 unit of electricity?

What about taking guest back to my room? No Problem?

:o

I want somewhere;

with a direct phone line - for internet.

with a pool and gym - either or both.

furnished

cable t.v...

security!!

I've seen some decent ones on there - can i just turn up and view when i land in Bkk?

Whats a good price for 1 unit of electricity?

What about taking guest back to my room? No Problem?

:o

Well, assuming that Bkk is like Ptt.

You may have to apply to have a phone line installed. I applied on 23 Nov 06, paid about 3,500 baht and was told 2-3 weeks for installation. They finally came around on 7 January (after my landlady nagged them enough).

Had to buy the ADSL modem, but unfortunately, the instructions that came with it were not correct (the part where you have to enter a certain username@certain-address) Finally got it all sorted out and working around 23 January !

The good news is, I just got my first phone bill. Issued on 12 February, delivered on 20 February, payable on 7 February !

Cost ? 13.80 Baht ! (plus the 1,000 baht for the high-speed internet service)

1 unit (kilowatt ?) of electricity is 7 baht here (at least that's what I just got dinged for). As I mentioned earlier, watch out how you use your air-conditioner !

Guests are not usually a problem. Your in an apartment after all, not a classy hotel. As long as your guests don't cause a problem for the other residents you shouldn't have any problems (other than your neighbours laughing and calling you a butterfly).

Most buildings I've seen don't require appointments for viewing, or references from previous residences. Biggest problem (sometimes) is finding who ever is responsible for renting the place. Not that big of deal though, there will usually be other people around who know where to find that person.

As for the other stuff (pools, gyms, cable TV), well, you're on your own. The cheaper the place, the less likely you'll find many "extras". That stuff should be listed on that internet site though. The only pool I have is the one that forms on the next roof over when ever it rains ! :D

The deposit and advance payments are also worth mentioning, I wouldn't pay more than 2 months deposit and 1 month in advance. They can't keep any money you don't give them in the first place...

Good point. I tell my friends to only rent a month at a time. That way, if they find something better (or just more suitable), they're not out a lot of money.

I haven't been asked for a deposit (yet), but one of my friends was. Silly bugger also agreed to pay 3 months rent in advance.

After his first night in that place, he wanted to change to a different apartment (too loud, too smelly, too bright. That's what you get when your apartment faces a busy intersection).

Lucky for him, another apartment in the building became available that day and he was able to switch.

Like zzap said, once you've given them the money, you might not ever see it again.