Taxi Driver Returns Bt3 Million Found On City Street To Truck Crew: Bangkok

webfact

MONEY

Taxi driver returns Bt3 million found on city street to truck crew

Jessada Jantharak

The Nation

30197057-01_big.jpg

Police and an employee of Brink

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver yesterday returned a bag containing Bt3 million in cash to the crew of a cash-delivery truck after finding it on a Bangkok street in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Pongsin Jirakulthawornpat, 45, returned the money to the crew of the truck belonging to Brink's (Thailand) Ltd at Jor Sor 100, an Army-owned traffic radio station.

The company started out providing delivery services for the gems and jewellery industry before branching out into cash and security services.

Pongsin said his taxi struck the bag, which had been left on a road leading to the Rama III Bridge, at about 2am. Since it was heavy and he was afraid that it would cause an accident, he decided to take it home. Later in the morning, he found that the bag contained money and alerted Jor Sor 100 to find its owner.

Pongsin said he used to work as a bank employee, and he recognised boxes inside the bag as being the kind that are used to transport cash to ATMs.

He said he decided to return the money because he knew that losing such a large amount of money would cause the person responsible a lot of trouble.

Tossaphorn Rewnak, 35, one of the three employees in the truck that lost the bag, said the crew had transported a total of Bt53 million in cash at about 1.45am yesterday for delivery to Siam Commercial Bank ATMs. While they were driving on Taksin Road, a man on a motorcycle waved them down and told them that one of the truck's two doors was open.

The crew found that one of their bags was missing and alerted Bukkhalo Police Station.

Police said the three employees gave conflicting information about the incident and that the truck's closed-circuit television camera was out of order. Police said they would investigate the case thoroughly.

A manager at Brink's said the company would reward the cabbie when it reopened for service after the New Year holiday.

He said the company had not yet made a decision on whether fault lay with the three employees or the truck itself. Officials from the firm were waiting for the results of the investigation, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-31

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Police said the three employees gave conflicting information about the incident and that the truck's closed-circuit television camera was out of order. Police said they would investigate the case thoroughly.

sounds a bit suss methinks ! 3 employees different stories CCTV "not working" 3 boxes of money "accidentally left at the side of the road sort of sounds like a little self rewarded bonus to me bet they are well pissed that the taxi driver found it before they were able to retrieve it !

sounds a bit suss methinks ! 3 employees different stories CCTV "not working" 3 boxes of money "accidentally left at the side of the road sort of sounds like a little self rewarded bonus to me bet they are well pissed that the taxi driver found it before they were able to retrieve it !

Yes, based on the "facts" reported in the newspaper, it would appear to be a botched inside job where the three crooks had people who were supposed to pick up at the bridge and missed the handoff/pickup. The taxi driver stumbled along and "interfered."

Just what I was thinking, 3 different accounts of what happened, a dodgy door lock & CCTV not working in a cash delivery truck ??

Sounds like an end of year bonus was in the making.. privately !!

Hope the 3 employees get their just rewards and the taxi driver gets a bigger one..

Hopefully the Brink company will be generous..

Edited by fareastguy
  • Like 2

Far-fetched conspiracy theories aside, Brinks might not be enamoured that their money transporters have revealed the truck carries 53 million baht. I suspect more than a few persons less honest than the taxi driver find that interesting.

• Like 2

That's the one thing that crooks in this country never count on. .An honest person showing up to screw up their heist. Like what are the odds of that ever happening here? It's nice to know that there are still some honest taxi drivers out there.

Always good to hear a story like this. Just go's to prove there are a lot of good people in the world. I hope he gets at least 5% of the money.

What? I thought that according to the TVF frothers that all taxi drivers were redshirt agitators and incapable of such acts.

Nice to see you now see it differently.

Give it a rest already. Only ***** can turn a feel good post into a political one where you slam someone else.

Edited by sbk
keep it nice
  • Like 2

Always good to hear a story like this. Just go's to prove there are a lot of good people in the world. I hope he gets at least 5% of the money.

What? I thought that according to the TVF frothers that all taxi drivers were redshirt agitators and incapable of such acts.

Nice to see you now see it differently.

Give it a rest already. Only ***** can turn a feel good post into a political one where you slam someone else.

I have not slammed anyone, and was merely pointing out what has been stated ad nauseum in the tvf.

I was commending the epiphany. So it van be considered a laudatory post.

Someday, someone in Thailand will figure out how to make a CCTV system that works. How many stories have there been (mostly from Phuket & Pattaya) that "the video camera was not working that day."

I was just about to say the same thing. The hub of faulty CCTV systems.

That's the one thing that crooks in this country never count on. .An honest person showing up to screw up their heist. Like what are the odds of that ever happening here? It's nice to know that there are still some honest taxi drivers out there.

They must also not have been counting on a dishonest person stealing the cash either as well as thinking the middle of a busy road on a bridge would be a good place to stash the money for later retrieval.

• Like 2

Not really sure how much of a feel good story this is.....Like other posters I am finding it a bit hard to believe that the triple magical combo occurred of the CCTV not working, the rear doors not latched, and boxes of money bouncing out. Would be nice to know if the boxes had dents on them from bouncing down the road. wai2.gif Looks like an inside job gone wrong. If so this may qualify as a World's Most Stupid Criminals crime, with the pick up guy not at the right spot. cheesy.gif However I am sure Brinks is going to try to portray this event as an accident in order to salvage their reputation as money transporters. Anyway kudos to the taxi guy.

• Like 1

Would it not be logical, based on the information in the story, to assume the conflicting statements from the workers were simply about whose fault it was or who was responsible for making sure the door was secured? Or is it more logical to assume that one of the workers left the door open on purpose and hoped one of the bags would fall out and hoped it would fall at an opportune moment for a conspirator to grab who they would split ($50k each) the money and then go on the run the rest of their lives while leaving $1.6 million behind? Bottom line is this is not the first time money from an armor car/money transport has fallen out on a highway in the world and won't be the last. However in this case you had two citizens who took action out of concern for the workers who would face serious problems if the money was lost, as opposed to thinking of themselves or just not getting involved.

By the way ... logic would dictate there was nobody in the back area of the truck where the door was open otherwise there would be no need for the motorbike to alert them the door was open and there would be no question that the person in the back was responsible and likely threw the bag out (on the middle of a busy roadway).

And if you think a non-working or recording camera (especially in a vehicle) is strange then you haven't been around (especially in Thailand) too much. Absolutely no mention of the camera being disabled or that it is checked daily or anything else to even hint at it being purposely disabled. Only a guess but would bet it never worked and was there for show.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 2

the honest taxi driver maybe knew if he opened the box, he money would be rendered useless... so why keep those pesky boxes and the possibility of being sprayed all over with dye ?

hope he gets a cut ... let's not hope from the armoured trucks gang friends that were supposed to do the pickup

this story is so fishy or it shows the lack of anything in thailand .... we lost a bag with 3 million, mai pen rai, we have 50 million more ...

Armored Transport truck.

53 million baht cash.

Video camera out of service.

Door swings open and 3 million baht falls out, unnoticed by the 3 Thai 'guards'.

I can smell the scent of Pla-Raa coming through the computer monitor.