What's The Weather Doing Now?

The island/s could certainly do with a bit of rain.

I do wonder how much water the ground here can store. I know it's been a draught year, but right now on Phangan at least, there's water everywhere - just drove past big ditches full of it. Maybe the groundwater levels are still low though. I wonder. I know some of the locals want to build a reservoir somewhere in the hills.

Edited by AngThong

Weather front / rain building up tonight:

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=30397

I don't find lots of arrows and columns very easy to see ..

and this also http://www.marine.tmd.go.th/wam.html

BBC is OK see http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/1150515

I like to see maps and systems visually , CNN used to be OK or Al Jazerra

any other sites

I do wonder how much water the ground here can store. I know it's been a draught year, but right now on Phangan at least, there's water everywhere - just drove past big ditches full of it. Maybe the groundwater levels are still low though. I wonder. I know some of the locals want to build a reservoir somewhere in the hills.

The stream which runs through Lamai is lower than I can remember ever seeing it. A digger can and uprooted half a dozen coconut trees the other day so I took the opportunity to have a look at the soil down to perhaps 4 feet and it looked pretty dry to me. The problem is not so much now nut rather middle of next year, could be looking at running out of water again like summer 2010 when there was nothing for a good month. Reservoirs have been dredged since then but if there is no rain to fill them then it is of no help. Need a long period of light rain but all I've seen is short periods of heavy rain (few and far between at that) at which point the sky clears and it evaporates short shift.

The stream which runs through Lamai is lower than I can remember ever seeing it. A digger can and uprooted half a dozen coconut trees the other day so I took the opportunity to have a look at the soil down to perhaps 4 feet and it looked pretty dry to me. The problem is not so much now nut rather middle of next year, could be looking at running out of water again like summer 2010 when there was nothing for a good month. Reservoirs have been dredged since then but if there is no rain to fill them then it is of no help. Need a long period of light rain but all I've seen is short periods of heavy rain (few and far between at that) at which point the sky clears and it evaporates short shift.

Interesting. Of course, I don't have much of a reference frame since I'm new here, but there's certainly been heavy rains on Phangan in the last month. I was rained in three full days 2-3 weeks ago when it was raining pretty much 24/7, and there's been heavy raining since - granted, far from every day. I do remember the endless cloudless weeks/months during the first half of the year though...

Another indication of how dry it has been is that Jim hasn't had to give members tips on how to stop the build up of mould on clothing.

clap2.gifbiggrin.png well I thought everyone knew by now! tongue.png

Spray with white vinegar ( for the new guys!) .... I hung everything out in the sun yesterday too... that helps as well!!!! ... but that might be a little to late now? w00t.gif

Re Birdman's comments ... Yes the tourists should be quiet happy about the weather! Seems to be a few around! .... I find it strange having to use a blanket at night! .... brrrr! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 2

oh I hear "pitta patta"........ and it's not little feet! .... plus a bit of booming thunder w00t.gif

.... even the Telly has gone south ! whistling.gifsad.png

It's when you hear the pitta patta oven cloven hooves you have to worry mate.

10 minutes of rain here, nothing now.

Edited by notmyself
  • Like 1

It's when you hear the pitta patta oven cloven hooves you have to worry mate.

...especially if it coughs in what it presumes to be a polite manner and goes LONG TIME NO SEE.

Edited by AngThong
  • Like 1

It rained or drizzled about all night long here, in Maenam area I am in, sounded more like galloping horses on the tin roof, out side my bedroom window~! w00t.gif

Better go see how I can fix that .... then go prune the bushes which have put on a huge spurt of growth since the rains started! facepalm.gifwink.png

On and off during the night in Lamai. Went out around 3am to the local shop and had to <deleted> a soi dog. Jaw is ****** so will starve to death but that is the Thai way.

Is there something i'm missing here?

Shhhhhhh it's the too much rain syndrome taking effect.wink.png I don't know anymore.

• Like 2

On and off during the night in Lamai. Went out around 3am to the local shop and had to <deleted> a soi dog. Jaw is ****** so will starve to death but that is the Thai way.

What a hard man.

I'd been working my nuts off all evening and into the early hours. There was a break in the rain so I took a jaunt down the road to get a couple of beers. I'm disabled and a registered T12 paraplegic so getting around is not easy for me. I generally don't go out and rarely at night because I can't defend myself against any attack including dogs. There was a break in the rain so I took a public road to get to the local store and was attacked by what was certainly the Alpha dog of a pack. I need a crutch to walk with, not a stick, so I flipped it and took a good swipe and smashed its jaw. You may have the option of offering some Rosary beads or writing a strongly worded letter but I do not. 10 minutes or so after I returned it started raining again so I was very fortunate on timing.

• Like 1

I'd been working my nuts off all evening and into the early hours. There was a break in the rain so I took a jaunt down the road to get a couple of beers. I'm disabled and a registered T12 paraplegic so getting around is not easy for me. I generally don't go out and rarely at night because I can't defend myself against any attack including dogs. There was a break in the rain so I took a public road to get to the local store and was attacked by what was certainly the Alpha dog of a pack. I need a crutch to walk with, not a stick, so I flipped it and took a good swipe and smashed its jaw. You may have the option of offering some Rosary beads or writing a strongly worded letter but I do not. 10 minutes or so after I returned it started raining again so I was very fortunate on timing.

I'm sorry for your disabilities,but not convinced by your assertion that condemning a dog to a slow death is the "Thai way". I thought that some of us from colder climates had moved on.

You might find that a pepper spray would be a useful defense item.

• Like 2

Weather alert:

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=30397

Warning
"Heavy and Strong Wind-Wave"
No. 3 Time Issued : November 19, 2013 At 10.00 p.m. on 19 November, the active low covers lower South China Sea. It was Located at southeast of Narathiwat about 300 kilometers. It’s moving west ward and expected to pass Malaysia trough Andaman Sea. More rain are expected in the lower south, as well as isolated heavy to very heavy rain in many place.

- During 19-22 Nov, 13 Phatthalung, Songkhla, Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat, Trang and Satun.

- During 20-23 Nov, 13 Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Krabi and Phuket.

People should beware the sever condition during few days.

The strong wind wave is expected 2-4 meters high in the lower Gulf of Thailand. Small ships keep ashore during the periods in the lower Chumphon.

The advisory will be effect on 19 November 2013 at 11.00 p.m.

(Signed) Worapat Tiewthanom

(Mr Worapat Tiewthanom)

Director-General, Thai Meteorological Department

• Like 2

Around 4 PM there was the start of a pretty good rain in Maenam, (I badly timed heading out, as I got soaked! bah.gif ) There were a few big puddles starting to appear in some areas!

Amazing no electric problems have been posted since Sept 9th! That has to be a longevity record for no power outage reports... clap2.gif(hope I have not jinks that! w00t.gifwink.png )