Mango Tree

aussieruss

To answer the OP, yes you can......Australian customs say you can take anything "out" of Australia.....but bringing stuff back is where all the restrictions come into play.

Before we moved here permanently, my wife used to pack lots of cuttings in her suitcase....much against my wishes, but never had any problems.

All great advice above ... and the poignant one being ... will the tree from the seed bear any or the same quality of fruit that you had at home?

Also ... I'm with the majority 'Coal to Newcastle' ... the local variety is of equal, if not better quality ... and I'm a QLD'er ... w00t.gif

hi all have looked at the replys and every one has heard the saying same same but not same we have about 50/60big mango tree's but they are mostly sour .which thais like we don't have tree's that produce those nice yellow one's they put on sticky rice.we have tried to buy at the nursery but no success yet .plus I like to have different thing's on the farm if I can grow them.but as far as referring to newcastle coal it is sortafter the world over Asia coal is not .so if I can take afew small seedlings maybe my mangos could turnout like the coal scenario PS if we didn't try different thing's how can we move forward rgd Russell

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

hi all have looked at the replys and every one has heard the saying same same but not same we have about 50/60big mango tree's but they are mostly sour .which thais like we don't have tree's that produce those nice yellow one's they put on sticky rice.we have tried to buy at the nursery but no success yet .plus I like to have different thing's on the farm if I can grow them.but as far as referring to newcastle coal it is sortafter the world over Asia coal is not .so if I can take afew small seedlings maybe my mangos could turnout like the coal scenario PS if we didn't try different thing's how can we move forward rgd Russell

Hi Russ,

You have me a little confused. If you have mangos that produce green mangos then if you leave these on the tree longer they will ripen and change colour to that similar to yellow/orange mangos. Usually the Thais will pick all the green mangos before they ripen for use in Som Tum or eating with sugar and chilli or any other of a multitude of uses for green mango.

Many of the best yellow mangos are from cultivars that are breed for the best taste or appearence. The new R2E2 is a large mango , looks huge but has not the flavour of the Bowens or calypso varieties (in my opinion). Ideally you would have a couple of varieties for the different seasons .

Why don't you see what the mangos develop/ripen like that are on your trees that you already have or go to any of the local agric stations and see what varieties they have for sale?

Cheers

• Like 1

hi xen we have had the land for 14year's where the mango tree's are and never seen a nice yellow one yet .but I have wanted to go to a good farm expo for year's where I hoped tobuy different type's of many fruit tree's .but we only go to los in april each year .one and half year's to go then can have agood look around (retire )rgd Russell

I would like to try a yellow mango from our tree

The family will pick when green and any others are always stolen before they get a chance to turn yellow sad.png

Doesnt it get under my skin! Same with papaya. And it is not just family. I got the PooYai to fine one guy for stealing our papaya. That has slowed the midnight shoppers down. clap2.gif But try as I might I cannot get the wife to leave fruit on the trees until it ripens. sick.gif

I had the same problem here the wife and her sisters, mother and everyone else eat all my mangos when green. I have 6 trees one very large and I have to buy ripe mangos........... but I had a great idea we put up a sign that says Dont eat the Mangos they have just been sprayed in Thai and it works they dont eat them..

Other than that you will never see a ripe mango ... Good luck and happy new year

Luckily the Farm Family enjoy both 'Green' and ripened 'Yello' Mangoes ... and I've been having a feast of them over Christmas ... licklips.gif ... usually a plate of two or three sliced and the yellow fruit dripping with goodness appears on the dining table come sunset.

Also we are lucky that the Farm is difficult to access (hence few theives) and we are surrounded mostly by relatives ... thumbsup.gif