About 90 Days Report, Disapointed.

Caibiao

I don't know if there is any other country which also has visa policy like 90 days report in Thailand.

Because the policy says every 90 days we have go to Immigration office to report. But one year have 365 days(90X4+5=365). So if every time I go to immigration office ahead of the report day, I don't know how to deal with the odd left days. One more reports?

So I prefer to go there after the report day, and the policy permit to go there within 7 days after the report day.

I have been fined twice in the past year. One for misread the date and fined for two days, and this time they counted the new year holidays in the 7 days, even I went there in their closed days and the first day after holidy, I was fined again.

Maybe 2000B one time is not high, but I don't know why they stamped some sentences on my passport and wrote 2000B in it.

Is missed 90 days report two days a serious fault?

Why we should go there every 90 days even we got one year or even long time visa? Just to remind us we are foreigners?

We are really guests here. But should the host always remind us we are guests here? Is this a polite way to guests?

We like this country, especially like Chiang Mai. And especially for my kids, they like here very much.

But we are confusious about the visa policies here, and feel a bit disapointed.

Edited by Caibiao

Yeah, now I really aware of we guests here. We can't take here as our home. Even though we mis-took here as our home.

We were so happy here and forgot we were guests. Hehe~~

Now one technic question, if every time we go Immigration Office ahead of the date. How to deal with the odd days left?

For example, if you go there 5 days ahead every time, after four times, 85X4=340, 365-340=25 days. How to deal the 25 days left? one more report?

In fact, I went the Immigration ahead of one week at my first report date. My one year visa is on 23, and went there on 16 first time. And they change my date from 23 to 16. when I saw 16 in the notice. I was confused. why not 23? If this time 16, and next time I went ahead again the date would changed to 9, ... So at last there will be several days left after four times reports. How deal with the left days?

Thinking of this, I planed to go Immigration after the report day and want to get my fourth date to accurate 365 days one year. But something happened like the holidays closing. Which caused my fines.

I don't know how others deals with this?

And if the 90 days report to Immigration Office is really necessary to we guests. Why not accurate 3 months, which report date will be one firm day which will not change often. And in this way it will easy to remember and easy to calculate.

Edited by Caibiao

This is Thailand and immigration want us to report every 90 days.Do not compare it to other countries.90 days means 90 days not 91.It is very simple and if you have incurred fines, then make sure it does not happen again.I personally go 4/5 days before the deadline,in case of a public holiday I was unaware of.

Never try to rock the system as we are guests in their country,and please don't forget that.

Among the many many ridiculous statements on TV, if there's one that gets right up my jacksie, this is it! Forgive me if I missed the irony, but what are you, the immigration dept's farang pet, or perhaps just drunk and feeling overly meek? Do you also put-down your own country in front of the natives?

You are, of course, right, 'make sure it does not happen again' (ermm.gif ), and one can report two weeks before and a week after, but the op has a valid point. Although it's the law/policy/mandatory/written into the constitution/set in stone on the apex of Doi Inthanon with daisies, if anything needs looking at for Thailand's 'guests', this should be at the front of the queue... for spouses/retirees who have been extending for several years, at the least. The 'making it tough for undesirables' bit should happen at the border.

You could previously (up until a few weeks ago) send in the TM47 by mail, but they prefer it we all pile in there. With the grace periods and 30-day window for extensions, you can massage it so it all works out to avoid that extra report. Short of setting up a calendar or your phone to send you a message on due date, the option to avoid going in there is to use Assist and they'll do all the reporting (on time) for you.

I feel your pain and those of us who don't meekly enjoy taking it up the bottom are hoping they get utterly swamped and use their natty website to allow for online reporting. Don't hold your breath, butt!

• Like 2

Just mail it in and stop complaining. You report every 90 days, like it or not. Does not matter what day you go, it's 90 days from that date. So get used to it. Other option leave and don't come back.

You're not up to date in Chiang Mai are you?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/601301-postal-90-day-reporting-in-cm/page__st__50#entry5938930

hjehehe this is the one issue everyone has an opinion about. Its just one of those things we have to do, go yourself or hire someone to do it for you. Making funny statements here aboutt not being a lackey doesn't change one thing about the law. I went to work every monday thru friday for 36 years didn't enjoy it everyday but I did it the same as a 90 day report, part of the game.

• Like 2

Nobody in their right mind enjoys reporting but that's anther matter.

That's for sure. thumbsup.gif

Not true. I use Assist Thai Visa service and for 1000 Baht a year they do all my reporting for me. They keep track of the reporting dates and E mail me the slip. Great service and for the price everyone should be using them and cut down the size of the lines at immigration.

• Like 1

Why does it matter if you go 4 times a year or 5 times a year. The most important thing for foreigners to do if they love living in Thailand is to keep themselves legal. Go early. 7 days early if you need to and get it out of the way. But never ever go late. Not even in the 7 day grace period window. Something might happen and you miss the opportunity to report in that window. That grace period should be for personal emergencies only because immigration does not really care why you are late they will still fine you if you are.

Not true. I use Assist Thai Visa service and for 1000 Baht a year they do all my reporting for me. They keep track of the reporting dates and E mail me the slip. Great service and for the price everyone should be using them and cut down the size of the lines at immigration.

Yup, I've gone over to them too - for now 90 day reporting is a thing of the past.

Mind you with some of the 5 minute in and out posts that we read about on here wink.png , it's hard to understand why there are lines.

Thanks all above for explaining!

For my this threads, the points might also be the stamp sentences in my passport which I don't know whether it will have some effection.

We are guests, if we want to stay here, of course we have to abide the rule here. But of course we can speak out our opinions to make things better. If we have to report, I think 3 months is much simple and easy than 90 days for us foreigners to follow.

The new ASEAN Community will form in 2015, maybe some visa policy will change. Because many visa policies have to go to similar with other countries in ASEAN community.

For example, like Malaysia has a Second Home visa policy. Maybe only after two years, there will be also visa policy like that here.

Only my unrealistic wishes?

Edited by Caibiao

lol @ complaining about 90 day reporting. tell em to sling it and do a border run every 90 days instead which begs the question, I thought if you are here on a visa you had to do the border run anyways. those who are on permission to stay extensions do the reporting.

The best part of it is watching the people complain about it.

It is almost the high point of their life when they get a chance to complain about it.

If I didn't have to I would not do it. Just like the previous poster If I didn't have to go to work every day I would not have done it. It is just a part of life. I think it is the trust babies who never had responsibility in their life who complain the most about it. As the dukes says just pay 1,000 baht a year and don't worry about it.

CASE SOLVED

Yup, I've gone over to them too - for now 90 day reporting is a thing of the past.

Mind you with some of the 5 minute in and out posts that we read about on here wink.png , it's hard to understand why there are lines.

Because they come later in the day.

For my this threads, the points might also be the stamp sentences in my passport which I don't know whether it will have some effection.

We are guests, if we want to stay here, of course we have to abide the rule here. But of course we can speak out our opinions to make things better. If we have to report, I think 3 months is much simple and easy than 90 days for us foreigners to follow.

The new ASEAN Community will form in 2015, maybe some visa policy will change. Because many visa policies have to go to similar with other countries in ASEAN community.

For example, like Malaysia has a Second Home visa policy. Maybe only after two years, there will be also visa policy like that here.

3 months is about 90 days, I think personally that someone who has been here for 5 years continuously should be exempted 90 day reporting if he/she has done it correctly in the past.

I really dislike this sort of kowtowing to the Thais.

We are not guests, we pay to be here, if you are a guest you get invited to stay and for free.

• Like 1

ASEAN is hardly new. It's been around since 1967.

If you are from one of the ASEAN countries then you might be able to take advantage of the proposed changing coming in the future. However, if you are from a country other than ASEAN then these changes would not apply to you. You would still have to have a visa to stay here and to report every 90 days.

Actually it doesn't cut down the size of the lines. It will take the agent with 15 passports just as long time as if the 15 persons were there personally.

We are not guests, we pay to be here, if you are a guest you get invited to stay and for free.

LOL.

Not sure if this was in jest, but an administrative fee to process a visa extension is not 'paying to be here'. ;) Let's try that in any other country in the world. :thumbsup:

Anyway I pay income tax, so I'm more or less paying to be here. In the same way all Thais on a salary are paying to be here.

This begs the question--why are you here--I guess you are forced to due to your job??

It sounds like Assist Thai does everything with a copy of one's passport (not the actual passport) without actually seeing the customer, except perhaps once a year when they get a new visa (although the customer could just e-mail a copy of the new stamp to Assist Thai and not see them at all).

That sounds like great service, but how does it in any way prove that one is doing whatever one is supposed to be doing to justify having people who already have one year visas come in every 90 days to do reports?

IMO, this just makes it obvious that 90 day reports are a waste of time for everyone concerned - other than Assist Thai (who make a lot people's lives easier for a very reasonable charge).

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1