About 90 Days Report, Disapointed.

Caibiao

We are guests, if we want to stay here, of course we have to abide the rule here. But of course we can speak out our opinions to make things better. If we have to report, I think 3 months is much simple and easy than 90 days for us foreigners to follow.

I really dislike this sort of kowtowing to the Thais.

We are not guests, we pay to be here, if you are a guest you get invited to stay and for free.

This begs the question--why are you here--I guess you are forced to due to your job??

Yeah, I really thought of the question last night:

Why are we here?

I think the simple reason for many foreigners to stay here is the nice cultural and natural environment here. Its so nice here MAYBE the visa policy has to set a bit barrier to prevent too many foreigners to stay here. thumbsup.gif (Just MAYBE)

Besides we parents like the nice environment here, firstly the reason for us to stay is for my children. Teachers here are so nice and kind to them at school. They are very happy here. And the friendly and smiling environment can help them to form a happyful character which can help them to make them happy all life.

I want them to get a happy childhood more than knowledgeful but strictful childhood.

Maybe I should change them to a strictful environment after they grow a bit bigger. When they grow a bit bigger, they will be a bit stronger, can endure and overcome hard environment, and then, maybe I should change them to some hard environment to practice them harder and stronger to face the real hard life.

Anyway, my kids need not to go to Immigration Office to report 90 days. Every time we can take their passports there to get the new 90 days' notice. They need not face all these things.

The children younger than 15 years old will not be fined and stamped in their passport. This is a good and humane part of the strict policy.

Seeing many replies above, I still do not know whether the stamp sentences with "2000B" fines put on my passport will have some negtive effections. Anybody know about this stamp?

We are guests, if we want to stay here, of course we have to abide the rule here. But of course we can speak out our opinions to make things better. If we have to report, I think 3 months is much simple and easy than 90 days for us foreigners to follow.

We are not guests, we pay to be here, if you are a guest you get invited to stay and for free.

This begs the question--why are you here--I guess you are forced to due to your job??

Why are we here?

I think the simple reason for many foreigners to stay here is the nice cultural and natural environment here. Its so nice here MAYBE the visa policy has to set a bit barrier to prevent too many foreigners to stay here. thumbsup.gif (Just MAYBE)

Besides we parents like the nice environment here, firstly the reason for us to stay is for my children. Teachers here are so nice and kind to them at school. They are very happy here. And the friendly and smiling environment can help them to form a happyful character which can help them to make them happy all life.

I want them to get a happy childhood more than knowledgeful but strictful childhood.

Maybe I should change them to a strictful environment after they grow a bit bigger. When they grow a bit bigger, they will be a bit stronger, can endure and overcome hard environment, and then, maybe I should change them to some hard environment to practice them harder and stronger to face the real hard life.

Anyway, my kids need not to go to Immigration Office to report 90 days. Every time we can take their passports there to get the new 90 days' notice. They need not face all these things.

The children younger than 15 years old will not be fined and stamped in their passport. This is a good and humane part of the strict policy.

Seeing many replies above, I still do not know whether the stamp sentences with "2000B" fines put on my passport will have some negtive effections. Anybody know about this stamp?

It really depends on what country your passport is from, and whether you intend to visit particular countries in the life of that passport. Some passports are high risk (of overstaying or working in breach of visa etc) and other countries look at those passports with greater scrutiny.

What it does indicate, to immigration border officers of another country is that you overstayed or breached your visa conditions. Simply put you did not comply with the visa, something that they can/may consider when granting you a visa in the future, if you are a dud once why not again they ask themselves so should they grant the visa.

Not alarmist at all, it does depend on your country of origin (for passport), if you intend to go to particular countries what type of visa you are applying for in that country, and general attitude of immigration a the border on that day.

• Like 2

Why are we here?

It really depends on what country your passport is from, and whether you intend to visit particular countries in the life of that passport. Some passports are high risk (of overstaying or working in breach of visa etc) and other countries look at those passports with greater scrutiny.

What it does indicate, to immigration border officers of another country is that you overstayed or breached your visa conditions. Simply put you did not comply with the visa, something that they can/may consider when granting you a visa in the future, if you are a dud once why not again they ask themselves so should they grant the visa.

Not alarmist at all, it does depend on your country of origin (for passport), if you intend to go to particular countries what type of visa you are applying for in that country, and general attitude of immigration a the border on that day.

Thank you for your detailed reply! smile.png

Been here 10 years + this time around and accept that there are rules that I need to abide by to live in the country I have chosen for my retirement and do so accordingly and have never had problems or fines etc..

I find no difficulty in fitting 3 hours a year (8760 hours?) in to my hectic schedule to meet the annual visa renewal and the 90 day reports.

1508950.GIF

• Like 2

Why are we here?

I wish you all the best in Thailand. My advice is don't lose any sleep over that 2000B fine stamp on your passport. Also, don't confuse the 90-day reporting violation with an overstay. An overstay is a much more serious violation.

There are also reports on this forum about expats who don't even bother with 90-day reports. They just pay the maximum fine once a year when they renew their visa, and everything seems to go fine. I wouldn't play with fire like that, as you may encounter an officer who's having a bad day and will take it out on you. But a service like Assist Thai would definitely be a cheaper option, presuming of course that there is no "crackdown" on such a service in the future.

Last but not least, make sure you do your next 90-day report four to five days BEFORE the date indicated on your slip. Statements on this forum that you can report up to week after the given date are technically true but are a bit misleading. That extra week is a "grace period", a courtesy provided by Immigration in case you had an emergency and couldn't report earlier. You are in violation of the terms, but you are granted immunity.

• Like 2

Why are we here?

I wish you all the best in Thailand. My advice is don't lose any sleep over that 2000B fine stamp on your passport. Also, don't confuse the 90-day reporting violation with an overstay. An overstay is a much more serious violation.

There are also reports on this forum about expats who don't even bother with 90-day reports. They just pay the maximum fine once a year when they renew their visa, and everything seems to go fine. I wouldn't play with fire like that, as you may encounter an officer who's having a bad day and will take it out on you. But a service like Assist Thai would definitely be a cheaper option, presuming of course that there is no "crackdown" on such a service in the future.

Last but not least, make sure you do your next 90-day report four to five days BEFORE the date indicated on your slip. Statements on this forum that you can report up to week after the given date are technically true but are a bit misleading. That extra week is a "grace period", a courtesy provided by Immigration in case you had an emergency and couldn't report earlier. You are in violation of the terms, but you are granted immunity.

Thank you for your kindly reply! smile.png

Thanks all above for explaining!

For my this threads, the points might also be the stamp sentences in my passport which I don't know whether it will have some effection.

The new ASEAN Community will form in 2015, maybe some visa policy will change. Because many visa policies have to go to similar with other countries in ASEAN community.

For example, like Malaysia has a Second Home visa policy. Maybe only after two years, there will be also visa policy like that here.

Only my unrealistic wishes?

3 months is about 90 days, I think personally that someone who has been here for 5 years continuously should be exempted 90 day reporting if he/she has done it correctly in the past.

Well I like your idea but I doubt if they could tell you if you had done it correctly in the last year unless you saved ALL of the date stamped papers and if you had done it by flying out of the country and then coming back in that also would throw them off.

I'm a romance tourist sexpat not sure how to say, same ballpark, different game ...... and I pay plenty for the company of a woman wife half my age. (and her mother and our children, etc.). Anyway I'm definitely paying.

Back on topic

Not sure singing the praises of a company that probably bribed CM immigration to stop postal reporting is all that clever.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

They really want to know where we're at so reporting ain't going away. I think the only reform we can hope for is some kind of personal online reporting system, perhaps for people who go through an application process to register and set it up, and perhaps even pay some fees for the special service. I've suggested this before and think it's a good idea.

They really want to know where we're at so reporting ain't going away. I think the only reform we can hope for is some kind of personal online reporting system, perhaps for people who go through an application process to register and set it up, and perhaps even pay some fees for the special service. I've suggested this before and think it's a good idea.

In any non-corrupt country, they would assume you live in the same place until you inform them different.

But that would reduce the chances of them making loads of money.

Let's face it, we're living in one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and nothing will ever stop them taking money from us. It's just pointless making suggestions, as they don't want them and are happy with their current scams.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

In any non-corrupt country, they would assume you live in the same place until you inform them different.

But that would reduce the chances of them making loads of money.

Let's face it, we're living in one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and nothing will ever stop them taking money from us. It's just pointless making suggestions, as they don't want them and are happy with their current scams.

Well I'm sure the fine monies are appreciated but I think it's more like a mix of xenophobia, a method to constantly remind us not ever get TOO comfortable, and a money spinner as well. I agree it is not very normal for immigration programs but it is normal for Thailand! Edited by Jingthing

This is Thailand and immigration want us to report every 90 days.Do not compare it to other countries.90 days means 90 days not 91.It is very simple and if you have incurred fines, then make sure it does not happen again.I personally go 4/5 days before the deadline,in case of a public holiday I was unaware of.

Never try to rock the system as we are guests in their country,and please don't forget that.

Agreed, I wish aliens visiting USA would remember that also, I hear people complain how hard it is to get a visa etc. If you dont like it, dont come. Visitors to usa should admire American people not criticize them. I love my country, I love my people.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

This is Thailand and immigration want us to report every 90 days.Do not compare it to other countries.90 days means 90 days not 91.It is very simple and if you have incurred fines, then make sure it does not happen again.I personally go 4/5 days before the deadline,in case of a public holiday I was unaware of.

Never try to rock the system as we are guests in their country,and please don't forget that.

Agreed, I wish aliens visiting USA would remember that also, I hear people complain how hard it is to get a visa etc. If you dont like it, dont come. Visitors to usa should admire American people not criticize them. I love my country, I love my people.

Why don't you go and live there?

Why don't you go and live there?

Do Thai people not feel that way? Why don't you tell the ones living in usa to go home? Or are you a hippocrite?

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

It's all about trying to control and getting a lot of money out of it. Politicians remember, and yes they are corrupt here but the corruption is everywhere on this planet where a lot is invisible for us recidents. Where is money there come people to it who haven't, very natural. And where a country has other advances, it will also attract people. So people (the one with the power) who live in these countries try to protect what they have. That is logic and natural in a world where are to many people.

To the point, I also think it is a stupid rule for them who are involved but I like to live here and can only except it.

Edited by Joop50

Thailand is not unique in any way in requiring visitors/temporary residents (that's what we are...not permanent residents or citizens) to present themselves for a variety of reasons (mainly to confirm continuing eligibility).

You can get an electronic travel authority for any of these country's (under reciprocal arrangements) that allow you to stay for 90 days (as a tourist or on business depending on what visa you have). At the end of that 90 days you must either depart or apply for a new visa (or an extension in some cases).

• Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong (SAR)
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Liechtenstein
  • Luxembourg

• Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Republic of San Marino
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom - British Citizen
  • United Kingdom - British National (Overseas)
  • United States of America
  • Vatican City.

If anything it is EASIER here as the option is simply to report and extend without a new visa/fee and the level of documentation or supporting evidence you would need in virtually all of the countries above.

P.S......in some of the places you actually have to queue (shock horror), take a number (oh the humanity), wait for eons with muzak (such suffering) and speak to an immigration officer who does not speak English ( why Lord why)

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 2

Why are we here?

Yes, the long-term stayers are guests in Thailand and will always be considered guests in Thailand.

This is something that Westerners should research prior to plonking themselves here, on the old saying; mine is not the reason why, mine is but to do or die. Or in other words, either accept these policies or don`t.

None of us like visiting Immigration, certainly no one’s idea of a fun day out, but in order to stay here, we just accept it, smile and get on with the job of living our lives.

After living in Thailand for centuries, I had given up asking questions and trying to seek logic long ago. You should do the same, if you want to enjoy the country and be at peace here, plus also, make an effort not to be late with your 90-day reporting and yearly visa extensions. Just turn up on the dates given or before without questioning everything, because you won`t find any credible answers. It`s that simple.

• Like 1

I too go 6 times a year . Granted I could pay the 1000 baht and have someone do 4 of them for me ..... But really if you do it right it only takes a few minutes and its kind of fun to people watch while your there .....

• Like 2

The fact for most of us speaking here is that we are staying here, so we should abide the rule here.

But I think loving here and abiding rules here are not contradicted with giving some constructive advices to make things perfect.

World is always changing, who know whether the visa policy will change after the ASEAN Community form in 2015. What a big change of the visa policy in the Europe countries when EU formed!

My question here may also comes from my idealism mistake: I like Chiang Mai so much and thougnt everything should be unrealistic perfect.

I really like this nice city, in my posts here about nearly one year before, I said I love this nice country very much.

And I always talked to my friends how nice here, and how livable here. I take Chiang Mai as a ideal dream land in the world!

Maybe I am a bit unrealistic, then question comes.

I have to get back to the reality again. It is just a livable city. There is no real dreamland in this world.

Seeing this topic so hot here, I checked the topic above in the forum just now, I found there is a TV forum official thread for collecting the suggestions on 90 days report.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/557382-90-day-report-procedures/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/562436-90-day-reporting-comments-and-experiences/

So, my this thread is just a repeated thread in the forum. Please the administrator close or remove this thread.

Thanks for everyone who involed in this topic!

• Like 1

Nobody in their right mind enjoys reporting but that's anther matter.

That's for sure. thumbsup.gif

Not true. I use Assist Thai Visa service and for 1000 Baht a year they do all my reporting for me. They keep track of the reporting dates and E mail me the slip. Great service and for the price everyone should be using them and cut down the size of the lines at immigration.

It sounds like Assist Thai does everything with a copy of one's passport (not the actual passport) without actually seeing the customer, except perhaps once a year when they get a new visa (although the customer could just e-mail a copy of the new stamp to Assist Thai and not see them at all).

That sounds like great service, but how does it in any way prove that one is doing whatever one is supposed to be doing to justify having people who already have one year visas come in every 90 days to do reports?

IMO, this just makes it obvious that 90 day reports are a waste of time for everyone concerned - other than Assist Thai (who make a lot people's lives easier for a very reasonable charge).

I would assume Assist has to give kickbacks to Immigration to allow their service, that reason alone means it will never be changed, in fact the longer the waits and more miserable the experience the more likely more will use these services and as such more kickback income, think about it. If I was staying would probably use it myself, although denying myself the joy of seeing all those delightful smiling faces behind the counter would be traumatic perhaps the time saving could counterbalance that.

The best part of it is watching the people complain about it.

It is almost the high point of their life when they get a chance to complain about it.

If I didn't have to I would not do it. Just like the previous poster If I didn't have to go to work every day I would not have done it. It is just a part of life. I think it is the trust babies who never had responsibility in their life who complain the most about it. As the dukes says just pay 1,000 baht a year and don't worry about it.

CASE SOLVED

I'm confused. If someone wants to talk about something pleasant regarding Thailand, I believe people call that being pleasant. But, if someone wants to talk about something they view as unpleasant, now that's called complaining. When people are pleasant, they get multiple replies ranging A to Z. But if they complain, they are told many times to leave the country. Is there a middle ground? I love my wife, and sometimes we complain about one another, never ever talking about leaving our marriage. We find that complaining (or using another term - hashing it out) leads to some clarity and (for us) a deeper commitment.

I don't like the 90 day reporting, not because I have to go and do it, but because I think it's like the movie "Brazil," some crazy insane paperwork maze. It's funny actually. And ofcourse I do it.

But your line about "trust babies" kinda says it all. I guess inferring that if you didn't ever have a 9 to 5 job that you had to do, you must be living on a trust fund. I never had had 9 to 5 job and didn't have a trust fund. I made choices early on because I didn't see myself enjoying the 9 to 5 life. But I never once ribbed those that worked 9 to 5. Though many, including you, seem to feel that 9 to 5er's have lived a more valiant life than those who haven't.

• Like 1