Challenge For Yingluck Is To Address Sensitive Questions: Thai Talk

webfact

THAI TALK

Challenge for the PM is to address sensitive questions

Suthichai Yoon

The Nation

30197123-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra chooses her exposure to the press very carefully. She rarely gives "exclusive" interviews to the media, and when she does, it can be quite revealing, especially on sensitive issues about her elder brother Thaksin.

It's important that when she does speak to a newspaper on an exclusive basis, she is certain that probing, follow-up questions will not be posed. She can then make statements that don't necessarily answer the questions. The absence of pressure from the interviewer is probably the main reason behind these kinds of "scoops".

The "Thaksin question" is duly asked, of course. And the queries are "duly" responded to. You don't get clear answers, though. You get the typical Yingluck's responses that may or may not satisfy your curiosity. But those are the kind of answers that have, strangely enough, become the acceptable norm, at least for some reporters covering the PM's beat.

A Thai daily published an exclusive interview with the premier on December 28. At least four questions were directly related to Thaksin.

Q: The government is still attached to the name of Thaksin Shinawatra, the former prime minister. How will the government "cross over" from Thaksin?

Yingluck: I must say it's a part of the political problem. It stems from a conflict [in which] people are on opposite sides. It is not possible to make people with different opinions see things the same way in one day. It takes time to adjust the tune. That means mutual sympathy. They must talk to one another. His Majesty the King's advice on December 5 is what we would like everyone to adhere to.

Q: [On the proposed constitutional amendments] Police Lieutenant Colonel Thaksin Shinawatra has already phoned in (to tell the party and government) what to do in the new year.

Yingluck: Thaksin is just one voice, just like the rest of the people. Today, the red shirts have their own position. The opposition has its own stand. Political parties have their own positions. Then there are the people. There are also academic groups. What I would like to say is that whatever is called representing the most people should be proposed.

Q: The name of Thaksin seems to be the crux of the problem. How do you overcome or reduce pressure from the friction?

Yingluck: Here, we should talk to one another to clarify the issues. We should clearly specify the people's interests, then we will see the government's clear intention to make a move that benefits the majority of the people.

As I have always said, the movie hasn't even started to run; we can't possibly say how it will end. So, let the middle part of the movie be screened first, so that the people can watch the movie from the beginning. Then, we can say how it will end. As to the view that the director hasn't replaced the characters, the viewers' feeling remains the same. I only believe in the facts, and perhaps the director may be more sympathetic.

Q: Are you concerned about the "invisible hand" that once created trouble for the Thaksin government?

Yingluck: Today, there are only two hands. Today, we have duties to perform. I believe the people can see that. I am not concerned about anything, be it politics or economics. We believe we have duties to perform; we must do our best. As to the corruption issue, we will have to move ahead vigorously. We will get down to details to block gaps at various levels, by using IT and computer systems to check on them to reduce duplications and to close the corruption gap as much as possible. Anyhow, we are ready to come under inspection.

The interviewer let the PM go at that. There were no follow-up questions. Neither was there any attempt to get clarifications on the ambiguous statements.

She then gave a television channel another "exclusive". The questions weren't all that tough and her answers were slightly clearer.

But it was at a year-end press conference that the premier actually said something more specific. She was asked more or less the same question: How does she react to criticism that her government is only serving one person - her brother Thaksin.

She probably knew that, in the presence of an army of reporters, she couldn't just swing it with a stereotyped statement again. So she said: "If I did that, then the people wouldn't vote me back in the next time."

That, at least, was more like it. The standard response to the most sensitive question for the premier has now been upgraded to a new level. Of course, we will need reporters to follow up with further questioning to that reply.

The PM has perhaps "graduated" - from denying all, to confronting the difficult questions, to facing the sensitive ones. She might have, along the way, found her own answers to those previously "unanswerable" queries. It's time for her to be her real self and face up to the challenge.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-03

How does she react to criticism that her government is only serving one person - her brother Thaksin?

she said: "If I did that, then the people wouldn't vote me back in the next time."

Seems thats the only reason the MP's elected her last time.

• Like 1

But it was at a year-end press conference that the premier actually said something more specific. She was asked more or less the same question: How does she react to criticism that her government is only serving one person - her brother Thaksin.

She probably knew that, in the presence of an army of reporters, she couldn't just swing it with a stereotyped statement again. So she said: "If I did that, then the people wouldn't vote me back in the next time."

A typical non-answer and a non-denial. Learned from her big brother who also likes to answer questions with "who am I to do such thing"

• Like 1

A typical non-answer and a non-denial. Learned from her big brother who also likes to answer questions with "who am I to do such thing"

On the contrary it was an amazingly good answer ( in her position and being asked that specific question).She is clearly learning to be a rather formidable politician - with advice of course from those close to her including Abhisit's cousin etc.What makes some really agitated is that there is an uncomfortable truth for them in what Yingluck said.If she sought the support of the Thai people at a general election few doubt she would be even more succesfull than last time.

On the contrary it was an amazingly good answer ( in her position and being asked that specific question).She is clearly learning to be a rather formidable politician - with advice of course from those close to her including Abhisit's cousin etc.What makes some really agitated is that there is an uncomfortable truth for them in what Yingluck said.If she sought the support of the Thai people at a general election few doubt she would be even more succesfull than last time.

I beg to differ, jayboy. The 'if I did that' is neither a confirmation nor a denial. It leave the question open, leaves people free to guess more. I stick to my verdict of 'non-answer', 'non-denial'.

Maybe I should have started this reply with "Who am I to differ (in opinion)" wink.png

Edited by rubl

The absence of pressure from the interviewer is probably the main reason behind these kinds of "scoops".

No kidding?blink.png

But...? Did anybody else in her worldwide travels / interviews have the guts to ask her delicate questions and pressure her for proper answers .. whether it be in the USA, UK, France, India whatever, wherever she has been...?? Nope !! , well I haven't seen it anyway ..they have all gone googoo in her presence ... soooo....?? What charming charisma does she really have huh???

Ambiguous or even evasive answers to an interviewer or reporter's questions is an essential skill for a politician especially a senior politician or PM. Further following some of the policies of a previous Premier is common place as is evidenced by the Taksin policies that the recent military government continued while in power. In fact it is a measure of the greatness of a politician if they put policies in place that are indelible to the whims of their successor. Note Obama's achievements with this type of strategy Further note that it appears that PM Yingluk has academic qualifications in common to those of President Obama. Last but not least in spite of my initial skepticism PM Yingluck seems competent and is well liked by a democratically significant percentage of the Thai population.

Ambiguous or even evasive answers to an interviewer or reporter's questions is an essential skill for a politician especially a senior politician or PM. Further following some of the policies of a previous Premier is common place as is evidenced by the Taksin policies that the recent military government continued while in power. In fact it is a measure of the greatness of a politician if they put policies in place that are indelible to the whims of their successor. Note Obama's achievements with this type of strategy Further note that it appears that PM Yingluk has academic qualifications in common to those of President Obama. Last but not least in spite of my initial skepticism PM Yingluck seems competent and is well liked by a democratically significant percentage of the Thai population.

Being evasive may be an 'essential' skill for a politician, but if that's only helped with 'friendly' interviewers, I doubt the skill. It's the skill of the interviewer or reporter to prick through the balloon of hot air and keep on probing.

Link to Thaksin policies and (possible) continuation of them ignored, just like ignored policies dropped.

Following I'm lost for words, I mean really, "PM Yingluk has academic qualifications in common to those of President Obama". You mean apart from qualifying to be admitted to a university?

Last but certainly not least, I have my doubts in your sincerity writing "in spite of initial skepticism" on PM Yingluck. It's close to mid-night so for sure I won't bother to do some searching now. I'll put on my rosy glasses and hope to dream nicely.wai.gif

BTW this wiki page may be used as a starting point to find out more about the 'equally academically qualified' biggrin.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barach_Obama

Q: The government is still attached to the name of Thaksin Shinawatra, the former prime minister. How will the government "cross over" from Thaksin?

Yingluck: I must say it's a part of the political problem. It stems from a conflict [in which] people are on opposite sides. It is not possible to make people with different opinions see things the same way in one day. It takes time to adjust the tune. That means mutual sympathy. They must talk to one another. His Majesty the King's advice on December 5 is what we would like everyone to adhere to.

In other words Not going to happen

Q: [On the proposed constitutional amendments] Police Lieutenant Colonel Thaksin Shinawatra has already phoned in (to tell the party and government) what to do in the new year.

Yingluck: Thaksin is just one voice, just like the rest of the people. Today, the red shirts have their own position. The opposition has its own stand. Political parties have their own positions. Then there are the people. There are also academic groups. What I would like to say is that whatever is called representing the most people should be proposed.

Is Police Lieutenant Colonel Thaksin Shinawatra who has already phoned in (to tell the party and government) what to do in the new year. The only one allowed too call in and tell them what to do. If I call will there be an answering phone.

Q: The name of Thaksin seems to be the crux of the problem. How do you overcome or reduce pressure from the friction?

Yingluck: Here, we should talk to one another to clarify the issues. We should clearly specify the people's interests, then we will see the government's clear intention to make a move that benefits the majority of the people.

As I have always said, the movie hasn't even started to run; we can't possibly say how it will end. So, let the middle part of the movie be screened first, so that the people can watch the movie from the beginning. Then, we can say how it will end. As to the view that the director hasn't replaced the characters, the viewers' feeling remains the same. I only believe in the facts, and perhaps the director may be more sympathetic.

In other words talk to me and I will clarify it for you, What you think is wrong.

Q: Are you concerned about the "invisible hand" that once created trouble for the Thaksin government?

Yingluck: Today, there are only two hands. Today, we have duties to perform. I believe the people can see that. I am not concerned about anything, be it politics or economics. We believe we have duties to perform; we must do our best. As to the corruption issue, we will have to move ahead vigorously. We will get down to details to block gaps at various levels, by using IT and computer systems to check on them to reduce duplications and to close the corruption gap as much as possible. Anyhow, we are ready to come under inspection.

Well first she says she us not concerned then she says the corruption issue will have to move ahead vigorously

and winds it up by saying they are ready for inspection. In other words they have swept all their corruption out of sight and are going to get vigorous about getting the opposition on corruption.

Rubl comments cover most of mine. Although I would be interested to know on what facts you base the statement "PM Yingluck seems competent and is well liked by a democratically significant percentage of the Thai population". The are two measure here - competent and well liked which are not necessarily linked. Also, what constitues a "democratically significant %"?

Being evasive may be an 'essential' skill for a politician, but if that's only helped with 'friendly' interviewers, I doubt the skill. It's the skill of the interviewer or reporter to prick through the balloon of hot air and keep on probing.

Link to Thaksin policies and (possible) continuation of them ignored, just like ignored policies dropped.

Following I'm lost for words, I mean really, "PM Yingluk has academic qualifications in common to those of President Obama". You mean apart from qualifying to be admitted to a university?

Last but certainly not least, I have my doubts in your sincerity writing "in spite of initial skepticism" on PM Yingluck. It's close to mid-night so for sure I won't bother to do some searching now. I'll put on my rosy glasses and hope to dream nicely.wai.gif

BTW this wiki page may be used as a starting point to find out more about the 'equally academically qualified' biggrin.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barach_Obama

It's an observation that has been made elsewhere but not as far as I know on this forum, namely that Yingluck's style is remarkably similar to that of General Prem.This means exercising charm, smiling a lot and not saying very much of substance.Can be surprisingly effective.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Barach_Obama

It's an observation that has been made elsewhere but not as far as I know on this forum, namely that Yingluck's style is remarkably similar to that of General Prem.This means exercising charm, smiling a lot and not saying very much of substance.Can be surprisingly effective.

If "it's" an observation made elsewhere I fail to see how your post replies to something here? Could you be a wee bit more specific?

If "it's" an observation made elsewhere I fail to see how your post replies to something here? Could you be a wee bit more specific?

I don't understand your point.I made an observation on Yingluck's political style - relevant to this thread but not a reply to anything.

[being evasive may be an 'essential' skill for a politician, but if that's only helped with 'friendly' interviewers, I doubt the skill. It's the skill of the interviewer or reporter to prick through the balloon of hot air and keep on probing.

I don't understand your point.I made an observation on Yingluck's political style - relevant to this thread but not a reply to anything.

That's why you repy to my reply on Indyuk's post, starting with "it's an observation made elsewhere". For a moment I thought you might be having a go at the Yingluck/Obama ''equally academically qualified'' remark.

No reply, all clear now wink.png

Perhaps Yingluck will respond more readily to questions regarding Thailand rather than Thaksin.......but regular government business of running the country appears to be inadequate fare for the 'investigating' incisive Thai journalists, who appear to rather desperately require Thaksin in the headline to attract readers to their output - maybe they feel this strategy that works so successfully stirring the vociferous crowds on forums, will increase sales and circulation....if the reporters do not tire of asking the question, and not getting a response they can jump on, I'm sure Yingluck will have a stock of answers to supply....before getting back to the business in hand...addressing the needs of Thailand

Stock of answers:

- I have to look into it

- my government will look into it

- give us some time

- we are accountable in a transparent manner

- in general one may say bla-bla-blablala

- could you repeat your question, please

- this is Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm, he will elaborate on my answer

- now please excuse me, back to the business at hand wai.gif

Stock of answers:

- I have to look into it

- give us some time

Thanks Rubl, every answer perfectly valid in the correct circumstance Edited by 473geo

Stock of answers:

- I have to look into it

- give us some time

Thanks Rubl, every answer perfectly valid in the correct circumstance

And last, but certainly not least, when running out of answers

post-58-0-27169000-1357374763_thumb.jpg

Stock of answers:

- I have to look into it

- give us some time

Wrong Rubl......a pure fabrication......a rather disappointing indication of your misleading imaginative posting........ Yingluck has never used the hand held sign favoured by Thaksin or you would have produced the photograph that would have undoubtedly hit the headlines........perhaps she carries the skill to learn from his mistakes

Edited by 473geo

Stock of answers:

- I have to look into it

- give us some time

Wrong Rubl......a pure fabrication......a rather disappointing indication of your misleading imaginative posting........ Yingluck has never used the hand held sign favoured by Thaksin or you would have produced the photograph that would have undoubtedly hit the headlines........perhaps she carries the skill to learn from his mistakes

I didn't say PM Yingluck has used the famous X. She's still learning, her big brother probably doesn't trust her yet with that discussion stopper, but it's part of the 'stock of standard answers' she might be choosing from rolleyes.gif

I didn't say PM Yingluck has used the famous X. She's still learning, her big brother probably doesn't trust her yet with that discussion stopper, but it's part of the 'stock of standard answers' she might be choosing from rolleyes.gif

Well as she has yet to use this option Rubl, let us give her the credit for being smarter than those who think she would smile.png Just out of interest am I the only one who found this method of deflecting loaded questions rather amusing?

Stock of answers:

- I have to look into it

- give us some time

When the questions get tough, Yingluck gets going.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

post-9891-0-70682900-1357388266_thumb.jp>>>I'd have had you for lunch sunshine.post-9891-0-53466900-1357388299_thumb.jp

The one on the left had 'balls' attached, the one on the right has strings attached.

The one on the left even played in a sketch of "Yes, Prime Minister" in January, 1984. The one on the right might or might not have been instrumental in getting a Channel-3 soap dropped

post-9891-0-70682900-1357388266_thumb.jp>>>I'd have had you for lunch sunshine.post-9891-0-53466900-1357388299_thumb.jp

The one on the left had 'balls' attached, the one on the right has strings attached.

You didn't notice the cultivation and training Thatcher was obliged to endure to get her presentation skills into shape, there was a visible change in image and voice intonation, and with this came confidence, Yingluck is currently undergoing such a change which will in turn increase her confidence, good luck to her, not an easy task. P.S I wonder how Thatcher would have come on making a speech in Thai!!