Car A/c Charging Or Repair

junglechef

Need to charge or possibly repair my 2004 Ford Escape a/c unit. Would like a place that specializes in a/c. Just doesn't blow cold if anyone might know problem. My current mechanic has said for two yrs "don't worry about it" but try telling the GF who sits in back w/the baby where it's very hot! Perhaps it's just needs charging more often than back in the US East Coast as I run it almost everyday here. Also would like a recommendation for a mechanic as my power steering reserve is empty once a week and my engine stutters. I get by-the-manual service every 10,000 km as I don't like breaking down so would like it a mechanic who doesn't consider service only fixing after it breaks down.

Amnuay Motor Air on the Super Highway across from and in between Carrefour (Big C) and Makro. Huge Alpine sign on top. Not much English spoken unless the owner's wife is there - which is often but not all the time.

http://www.amnuaymotor2.com/

One of the best run businesses in Thailand IMHO. Not the cheapest but 90% Thai clientele who really like doing business there.

post-49932-0-85788400-1357182093_thumb.j

• Like 1

In Thailand the air compressors can be rebuilt, unlike in the states where they would just sell you another one.

Id try a refrigerant charge first and see how long that last. The honeycomb core also gets very grungy and does wonders when you clean it, it's usually behind the glove box on japanese cars...not sure about the Ford. Cleaning the honeycomb core will require a special bottle of cleaning fluid, water and soap alone wont be good enough. It will literaly dissolve the grunge away and drip off.

• Like 1

While I'm on the subject I was told that the tinting can wear down, even though it is still dark, and not block the heat. Not sure if that sounds right to me, anybody have an opinion?

Yes, absolutely correct. Tinted film deteriorates over time.

There's a range of quality and darkness with tints. A good workshop will show you a wide range for you to choose. It's also important to ensure no dust gets between the tint and the windscreen when it's installed. You sometimes see cars with big bubbles under their tint which is most probably due to amateur fitting. Amnuay2 has an air-conditioned drive-in room for tinting, essential on dry and dusty days. The better quality tints have guarantees. Around 5 years seems to be average before tints need to be replaced.

Amnuay Motor Air on the Super Highway across from and in between Carrefour (Big C) and Makro. Huge Alpine sign on top. Not much English spoken unless the owner's wife is there - which is often but not all the time.

One of the best run businesses in Thailand IMHO. Not the cheapest but 90% Thai clientele who really like doing business there.

Owner spoke good English and was usually there, is he not around anymore?

I believe there are 2 brothers that own the company? The guy at Amnuay2 branch does not speak a word of English but his wife does. I have not been to Amnuay1.

I believe there are 2 brothers that own the company? The guy at Amnuay2 branch does not speak a word of English but his wife does. I have not been to Amnuay1.

The company's owned by Khun Amnuay who started the business from nothing 20+ years ago. He's now retired but his work ethic, knowledge and skills were passed on to his sons Dan at Amnuay 1 and Chit at Amnuay 2. Neither have strong English skills but if you point and make a few noises they will investigate and find the problem. Their wives speak reasonable amounts of English. The eldest son, Muan, owns a similar business, MeeDee, along the superhighway near Big C.

Have the AC tech put in a bottle of dye and charge the system. Any leaks will show easily as the die is fluorescent. Repair any leaks, clean the condenser and evaporator, check sensors - or replace if cheap - should be good to go. The gauges the tech will hook up will show if the compressor is shot.

• 10 months later...

I went there today and had excellent service, within 1 hours they had fixed everything and it was a lot cheaper than going to a main dealer as I have done in the past.

Recommend them anyday