Phantom/boss Replacement

AllanB

Both the Phantom and Boss were reasonable bikes for the money in their day, sure they had faults but a for a low cost, low speed cruiser they were great.

We hear that the new Phantom models are now being built elsewhere in China. or Indonesia and are apparently crap. So why doesn't one of the big 4 make a worthy replacement cruiser. I realise that it will have to be fuel injected, but no big deal.

Bikes like the Wave are great, ultra reliable, strong as an Ox, but they are too bloody small for grown-ups and not built at all for long distance travel in relative comfort. An hour on a Wave and I am finished, they are town bikes, as are 99% of the bikes sold in Thailand.

It is not rocket science to build a bike and there must be a market.. 110kph top cruising (200cc PI), fat tyres for comfort and security, a decent 2 seater saddle and 90,000 pricetag, how hard can it be? The cheapest 110cc Honda Wave is only 34,000, so it doesn't have to be bloody Chinese.

AllanB, for you the chinese made cruisers are "apparently crap". But many customers are happy with them it seems. I agree that they are not as rock solid as a japs bike. But to call them "crap" without ever talking to some owners sounds like prejustice to me.

Lifan Cruiser LF250-B

Keeway Dorado 250

Keeway Superlight 200

At least for the Lifan we had some good reviews here. The others haven't been discussed here. If people here would be a bit more open minded we sure would know more from the owners of these bikes. All the details of good and bad smile.png

Sadly the japs aren't producing such bikes here anymore so everything we could get would be extremely expensive. The SYM Wolf 150R would be a nice bike too.

Edited by wantan

If the Suzuki TU250X was manufactured and sold in Thailand I`m sure it would be a popular little bike. IMO it`s also much better looking than the Phantom.

That Suzie looks like it just came out of 1984.....which isn't such a bad thing!

Honda make a farm bike for Oz called the Bushmaster. Why they can't use that as a basis for a cheap reliable road bike is beyond me.

post-63954-0-59730800-1357219467_thumb.p

Edited by BSJ
  • Like 1