Getting Out Of Dodge

vagabond48

This is kind of a 2 part inquiry for the older (50+) CM coupled (non single) crowd who have the time to get away from CM during bad air months.

(1)

My wife's non-Thai parents who are in their mid 70s are coming to staying with us in CM. We also want to take them for a week either to a Thai Island or some nice non-island beach setting. I am looking for a locale that is not too touristy (no need for booze or bar girls) with nice and comfortable guesthouses or hotels. Since I am footing the bill, I would prefer the food and accommodations to be reasonably priced. We all want to eat nice Thai food and fresh seafood.

(2)

For March, my wife and I, would prefer to stay either in Thailand's beach or islands or similar places around SEA. Again, since we might hang out for 2 to 4 weeks, I want it to be reasonable as well.

so

I would love to hear where you coupled folks go.

Still Kho Lanta is a more or less a quite and nice place.

During your trip with the parents, you can check it out. It may fit your march trip, too.

There is reasonable accommodation available.

Edited by noob7
  • Like 1

Winnie gave a strong recommendation to this area in previous threads for folks looking for not-too-touristy, but not too far off the beaten path:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prachuap_Khiri_Khan_Province

Meets all your requirements for beach (though not an island), seafood, and a laid back atmosphere.

I plan on checking it out myself this Feb on a road trip to the South.

• Like 2

Winnie gave a strong recommendation to this area in previous threads for folks looking for not-too-touristy, but not too far off the beaten path:

http://en.wikipedia....i_Khan_Province

Meets all your requirements for beach (though not an island), seafood, and a laid back atmosphere.

That area does look interesting. Props to WTK.

How close does the train run to there? Logistics question.

Looks nice for a month to escape the smoke.

You can always try Cha Am A 20 minute drive north of Hui Hin. Pretty much non tourist. Just spent a night there on the way too Phuket and one on the way back. Looked nice.

Just checked WTK suggestion looks good also.

Winnie Any idea of the cost. 3 star.

Edited by hellodolly

Cha-Am is very agreeable, and prices are good.

Many are also retreating to Prachuap Kiri Kan, a bit further down the coast.

I haven't been there, but hear good things.

+1

Cha Am is highly recommended. Not expensive, lovely 12 km white sand beach and non-touristy but on weekends it can be a zoo. There are many buses of students that come to the Dusit Thani Hotel School on Friday afternoon - or leave it for the weekend, don't know how it works but during the week it's great.

Haven't been to the place WTK recommends but would like to visit.

As far as the islands go, can't say enough good things about Koh Chang. But during the high season, prices go up by as much as 100%.

Edited by elektrified

A nice area, been a few times, my favourite beach around that area is Ban Krud! A good selection of small little resorts. Not big and touristy, but small and peaceful and a couple of nice restaurants on the beach.

Even has a small train station (mainline) about 1km from the beach.

https://maps.google....t Thailand&z=15

post-65233-0-57074100-1357249463_thumb.j

Edited by kjhbigv

Be sue to include Ao Manao, a beach inside an airforce base. So you have the main town bay on once side (mostly fishing) and then you cross the runway (After checking in at the base) and get to a beach that's only for relaxing; many Thai families visit on weekends.

AoManaoMapL.jpg

ao-manao-prachuap-khiri-khan.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Nice pictures there ! thumbsup.gif I too would recommend Ao Manao, we spent (4-5 years ago) a week at the military-hotel/resort (with pool) there which had good rooms, although the food-service was geared mainly to groups, so we ate elsewhere locally. The seafood is generally quite good.

The small museum on the airbase, honouring the Thais who died resisting the Japanese WW2 seaborne-invasion, was also worth seeing.

And the railway-line to Malaysia/Singapore runs all the way down this coast, usually within a mile-or-two of the beach.

• Like 1

There is also a science park and excellent aquarium there plus the military recently set up a small scale quad track and an archery range but not sure if these are permanent. Don't forget to stroll up to the temple as it's only 396 steps but brilliant views so worh the effort.

Avoid the Suksant hotel as it's lousy. Prachuap beach hotel is pretty basic but clean and offers excellent views but fills up weekends.

Nice pictures there ! thumbsup.gif I too would recommend Ao Manao, we spent (4-5 years ago) a week at the military-hotel/resort (with pool) there which had good rooms, although the food-service was geared mainly to groups, so we ate elsewhere locally. The seafood is generally quite good.

The small museum on the airbase, honouring the Thais who died resisting the Japanese WW2 seaborne-invasion, was also worth seeing.

And the railway-line to Malaysia/Singapore runs all the way down this coast, usually within a mile-or-two of the beach.

There was no invasion of Thailand!giggle.gif

• Like 1

You might try Thai style beach resorts at Ban Krut, near Bang Saphan, Prachuap Kiri Kan Province. Less visited than Hua Hin to the north, clean and not as well developed. About 5 hrs drive S of Bangkok and well worth the effort to get there.

You can always try Cha Am A 20 minute drive north of Hui Hin. Pretty much non tourist. Just spent a night there on the way too Phuket and one on the way back. Looked nice.

Just checked WTK suggestion looks good also.

Winnie Any idea of the cost. 3 star.

Cha-am is perhaps the most crowded Thai beach resort in Central Thailand. One to avoid on weekends from now until after Songkhran.

• Like 1

Cha-am is perhaps the most crowded Thai beach resort in Central Thailand. One to avoid on weekends from now until after Songkhran.

Went there once on the weekend, it was a complete zoo. Trash EVERYWHERE. It literally looked like a trash dump full of people surrounded by water.

Went there once on the weekend, it was a complete zoo. Trash EVERYWHERE. It literally looked like a trash dump full of people surrounded by water.

Like I said in an earlier post, it's lovely during the week but on Friday afternoon dozens and dozens of buses begin arriving, the majority being students. They eat junk foods until they are ready to explode and then litter.

Have you noticed a unusual amount of Nissan Teana with 2 liter engine, parked around there?

Nissan is writing Z00 on the back, maybe....!

Perhaps I should have said Cha-am is nice as long as you're adapted to living around Thais.

And visit mid week and give holiday periods a miss. We visit there often for a few days each time. I find it pleasant and relaxing. But once I made the mistake of visiting a holiday weekend. Nightmare, just one long traffic jam down the long beach road, and a huge vehicle car park.

• 3 weeks later...

I quite like Koh Samet, close to everything, busy with day trippers 10am - 4pm, empty the rest of the time.

At night you get restaurants opening up on the beach, right down to the shore line.

Sandy beaches gently sloping down into warm blue water.

post-152992-0-14114400-1358855126_thumb.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I agree with the Cha-Am, Prachuap Kiri Khan recommendations, I would suggest renting a car (if you do not have one, if not quite easy to do this by bus) starting at Cha-Am there are some good value guest houses in the center of the town all within 5-10 mins walk to beach/restaurants etc, then a little further south is Hua Hin (45 min drive) more touristy than Cha-Am and obviously a little more expensive, there is a very good hotel virtually opposite the police station (on beach road) Jed Pi Nong (is incorrect spelling but you cant miss it) it use to be 1000 a night has pool etc.

An additional 45 mins south is Prachuap Kiri Khan, on the way you pass a beach that is used by royals (when they want to) cant recall name but something like 'Sue' surprisingly there are several cheap restaurants etc on the beach, Prachup did not have many guest houses on offer but I understand that this has/is changing beautiful unspoilt beaches very 'Thai', you may want to check out Dolphin bay a very nice reasonably priced small complex (very popular) very good restaurant and a large pool.

Enjoy!

I spent a month away in Cha Am on three occasions during CM Sog season, for I am sensitive to the Clagg.

Last year I was away in Issan, no problems with Polution.

I checked out this place two years ago

http://www.bangsaphanguide.com/sunrise-resort.php

actually drove down from Cha Am and liked what I saw.

For a month stay a rom B500/night.

john