Foreigner Died Mysteriously Near Burma Border

Lite Beer

Mysteriously ?? He was murdered, how is that mysterious ? Poor man, RIP whoever you are, hopefully they do find out his identity so his family can be informed.

Don't you think they would've bound his hands before suffocating him with a plastic bag so he can't fight being killed? If he was conscious while being suffocated I'm sure he would have tried to fight it, and if he was bound there would be marks or abrasions on his wrists. The cops said they found no wounds on his body, but then again decomposition might have taken care of that. Also, why remove the shackles from his hands afterwards, but not the plastic bag??? While I'm not excluding the possibility of murder, it's quite possible he committed suicide.

Ifs and buts don't lead to anything. We need to await the final outcome of the BIB before we may indulge in questioning what may have possibly gone wrong at the scene of the 'crime'. wink.png

That's assuming Thai investigators do their job properly and thoroughly.sad.png

Which is why I referred to the BIB final outcome. Then we may indulge in pointful questioning of this sad case; if we ever see the outcome... :o

-mel. ;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he was murdered the murderer probably would have disposed of the cellphone to eliminate possible leads. Sounds more like a really weird suicide.

Yes very weird. You should have heard of the other suicide were the guy kicked him self to death and left his cellphone in his pocket..

Oh sorry I am late.let's go CSI Thaivisa,all special criminal investigators,forensic surgeons and profilers- clear the case ASAP .the. first replies already indicating it will be solved sooooooon.thanks for the urgent required help.

Glad you're late, and a chef. :)

-mel.

• Like 1

The district chief politely advised me that it was not really a good idea to go tromping around the border areas as there was (and to the best of my knowledge, still is) a price on foreigners heads by the drug lords.

Back in the mid 1980s I was one of the very few Farangs living along that region of the border, and never once did I hear anything about a "price on my head" or hear anything even remotely close to that. Now I agree it was not wise, nor is it now, to travel by yourself on a remote dirt path along that border region. And I know of one village that even now neighboring villagers do not visit unless invited. But there is no price on the heads of foreigners. You are more likely to run into troubles encountering what we use to call the "black shirts", but they are Thais involved in the drug trade and not "drug lords", and such possible troubles are not specific to foreigners.

• Like 2

Oh sorry I am late.let's go CSI Thaivisa,all special criminal investigators,forensic surgeons and profilers- clear the case ASAP .the. first replies already indicating it will be solved sooooooon.thanks for the urgent required help.

Yes we agree you are sorry,

So lets see, as you imply, the guy decided to kill himself.

So the steps you follow when you kill yourself is

1) dispose of all money

2) dispose of all identity

3) dispose of phone

4) grab a clear plastic bag

5) grab some water

6) grab some wire

7) go to some strange place in Thailand near the Berma border

8) put the bag on the ground

9) stand on your head in the center of the bag

10) hold the bag up around your head with one hand

11) fill the bag with water

12) dispose of the container that held the water

13) wrap wire tightly around your neck

14) stumbel into the brush

15) remain calm while you inhale water and suffocate

Yep, sure sounds like a suicide to me.

I am sure Crazy Chef 1 knows that deep down if something happened to him he would not want it brushed under the carpet and written off as a suicide quite so easily. As I would not either. In other countries there would be an outcry of public discust if this was written off as a suicide thus making the authorities take action. (Look at the rape case in India) Unfortunately in Thailand that is not the case unless a high profile/rich person is involved. A falang on the border. Not a chance. What does suprise me though is how intellegent westerners could even suggest that it may have been a suicide. If Crazy Chef 1 however is Thai then my aplogies and I understand his train of thought.

OMG.I can't find any indication in my reply pointing towards to suicide.may I have to make it more clear due that a few members seems not to be able to understand sarcasm.let the appropriate institution solve/inspect the case and not by keyboard warriors at home without knowing any details.PS.R.I.P. Young man.

Either way , it needs to be established what was the cause of death, whether it is a suicide or murder, the autopsy should shed more light on this area, DSI can then take it from there. This border area of Thailand is not always safe for foreigners.

Yes we agree you are sorry,So lets see, as you imply, the guy decided to kill himself.So the steps you follow when you kill yourself is1) dispose of all money2) dispose of all identity3) dispose of phone4) grab a clear plastic bag5) grab some water6) grab some wire7) go to some strange place in Thailand near the Berma border8) put the bag on the ground9) stand on your head in the center of the bag10) hold the bag up around your head with one hand11) fill the bag with water12) dispose of the container that held the water13) wrap wire tightly around your neck14) stumbel into the brush15) remain calm while you inhale water and suffocateYep, sure sounds like a suicide to me.

You should actually read the articled ...

From inspecting his property,
soldiers found 600 THB cash in his wallet and a mobile phone
, but didn’t find any documents indicating who he is.

The corpse was discovered sitting and leaning back against a tree.
There was no trace of any fighting

Have to wait and see if they release more info but taking some pills and tying a bag around your head is actually not at all an uncommon way to commit suicide. There is also no indication of how much water was in the bag (condensation or evaporation from the some of the 70% out water our body is made??) but it would make little to no sense for anyone to add water to the bag in a suicide or killing this way but would make more sense in a suicide especially if he was under the influence and would make even less sense that he would not put up a fight or that they killers would pose his body leaning up against a tree or that people looking to do him harm would be able to lure him to drive into the middle of nowhere and allow himself to have a bag pulled and tied over his head with no fight.

Could be murder or suicide but given the few facts available at the time of the article it is not an easy call to make and we need to speculate about many things to even make a guess but lets not going making up facts that are contradicted in the article just because we want to believe something to be true.

Edited by Nisa

The district chief politely advised me that it was not really a good idea to go tromping around the border areas as there was (and to the best of my knowledge, still is) a price on foreigners heads by the drug lords.

Back in the mid 1980s I was one of the very few Farangs living along that region of the border, and never once did I hear anything about a "price on my head" or hear anything even remotely close to that. Now I agree it was not wise, nor is it now, to travel by yourself on a remote dirt path along that border region. And I know of one village that even now neighboring villagers do not visit unless invited. But there is no price on the heads of foreigners. You are more likely to run into troubles encountering what we use to call the "black shirts", but they are Thais involved in the drug trade and not "drug lords", and such possible troubles are not specific to foreigners.

Sorry Johpa,

I wrote, "on foreigners heads" - not my head. The drug mules did, in fact, kill several foreigners throughout the years (check with Mae Ai ex district chiefs (x3), Fang police dept., & Fang hospital - if you have the resources). 2 of which were on government related activities. Please don't be so quick to dismiss someones post as drivel.....

Sorry Johpa,

I wrote, "on foreigners heads" - not my head. The drug mules did, in fact, kill several foreigners throughout the years (check with Mae Ai ex district chiefs (x3), Fang police dept., & Fang hospital - if you have the resources). 2 of which were on government related activities. Please don't be so quick to dismiss someones post as drivel.....

Not that I disbelieve you as I don't live in the region but why in the world would they have a price on foreigner heads? I understand terrorists will do this as they want the attention but why in the world would drug mules want this and want to bring the added international attention and scrutiny to the area? I would think if most foreigners saw a couple locals walking through the woods with backpacks they wouldn't think anything of it but again maybe I am not familiar with how they smuggle and maybe they carry the stuff in boxes marked "Ya-Baa" written on the side in multiple languages and have uniforms to identify themselves as smugglers. Ok, sorry for the sarcasm but seriously why in the world would they want to kill people unless cornered or caught?

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

Sorry Johpa,

Not that I disbelieve you as I don't live in the region but why in the world would they have a price on foreigner heads? I understand terrorists will do this as they want the attention but why in the world would drug mules want this and want to bring the added international attention and scrutiny to the area? I would think if most foreigners saw a couple locals walking through the woods with backpacks they wouldn't think anything of it but again maybe I am not familiar with how they smuggle and maybe they carry the stuff in boxes marked "Ya-Baa" written on the side in multiple languages and have uniforms to identify themselves as smugglers. Ok, sorry for the sarcasm but seriously why in the world would they want to kill people unless cornered or caught?

Since you ask..... there were some foreign "government" people helping to suppress the drug trade in Northern Thailand.... Khun Sa and Lao Da had their sights set on these "government" folks... People were killed that were not involved with drug suppression, but they were in the wrong place and MAY have seen the mules. Tell me, is it different in any other country??? Oh, one case that was not related to the drug trade was a couple were accosted in the jungle and the male reacted,, was killed only for their valuables... The girl was beaten, threatened, raped, and left for dead. Thankfully, she survived.

Sorry Johpa,

Since you ask..... there were some foreign "government" people helping to suppress the drug trade in Northern Thailand.... Khun Sa and Lao Da had their sights set on these "government" folks... People were killed that were not involved with drug suppression, but they were in the wrong place and MAY have seen the mules. Tell me, is it different in any other country??? Oh, one case that was not related to the drug trade was a couple were accosted in the jungle and the male reacted,, was killed only for their valuables... The girl was beaten, threatened, raped, and left for dead. Thankfully, she survived.

No argument from me that there is violence in the drug trade but I was specifically asking why there would be a "price on foreigners heads" as this makes absolutely no sense to me. Maybe you just stated this incorrectly but a witness is a witness regardless of national origin as are people being being in the wrong place at the wrong time but for there to be an actual bounty for killing foreigners along the border region is what I am not understanding.

Edited by Nisa

Sorry Johpa,

No argument from me that there is violence in the drug trade but I was specifically asking why there would be a "price on foreigners heads" as this makes absolutely no sense to me. Maybe you just stated this incorrectly but a witness is a witness regardless of national origin as are people being being in the wrong place at the wrong time but for there to be an actual bounty for killing foreigners along the border region is what I am not understanding.

Well I am no expert on the subject but I highly doubt there is a regular occurrence of foreigners hiking for enjoyment in a known drug area.

They don't call it the Golden Triangle to attract tourism. Life is cheap to those people and if they see a foreigner it is easy for them to consider him a drug agent why else would he be there. Consider if you were a drug baron (not a flunky) would you want unknown foreigners in the area? Remember you are a drug baron. Not a Conscientious every day 9 to 5 citizen.

One other thing he had no ID on him. why would he be walking in a known drug area with no ID but money and a phone.

On the other hand perhaps IF it was murder and not suicide the ID might be considered valuable to people high up in the trade.

In reply to Hello dolly post #47 & Nisa #46,

Hello and Nisa, Both of you are correct with your statements. A witness is indeed a witness whether he / she is a backpacker, adventurist, or agent. Anyone off the beaten track could get in trouble if seen by either a desperate / hungry mountain person or a drug mule / drug mule train. And no, the tour operators that I know tend to think that there are not a lot of foreigners going off on their own. Hence, this poor lad either wanted to be seen and (normally) shot at by mules (suicide), was an opium addict (any toxicology tests been made yet?) and was "lost" in the forest, or was just off on a trek alone (all personal items stolen) and then murdered.

Well I am no expert on the subject but I highly doubt there is a regular occurrence of foreigners hiking for enjoyment in a known drug area.

They don't call it the Golden Triangle to attract tourism. Life is cheap to those people and if they see a foreigner it is easy for them to consider him a drug agent why else would he be there. Consider if you were a drug baron (not a flunky) would you want unknown foreigners in the area? Remember you are a drug baron. Not a Conscientious every day 9 to 5 citizen.

One other thing he had no ID on him. why would he be walking in a known drug area with no ID but money and a phone.

On the other hand perhaps IF it was murder and not suicide the ID might be considered valuable to people high up in the trade.

The Golden Triangle is actually a tourist spot and marketed as one. Much of the border region is national park and there are numerous rivers, waterfalls and hiking trails. In fact, this guy was not found in the middle of nowhere and was just off the roadway. If I am not mistaken, I believe it is also an area where tourists frequent and there is a hill tribe they visit. I was just across the border in Burma a couple weeks ago from Chiang Rai and the first sign you see when you hit the main road is "City of the Golden Triangle" ... We also did a lot of driving and hiking around the border region because that is were so many of the best nature places are to see.

As for walking around with phone and money and no ID -- I do it all the time but since they suspect he rented the motorbike found nearby there is a good chance he had to leave an ID to rent it. Not to mention people who kill themselves often are feeling pretty alone and not cared for and probably had no real concern about making sure he carried the right papers. I really doubt he went out in the wilderness with 600 baht to buy drugs and highly doubt anyone took his ID to hide his identity. It certainly could be murdered but absolutely nothing here to indicate anything to do with drugs let alone being killed because there is a bounty on the head of any foreigner in the border region which happens to be full of foreigners. But my guess is he offer himself in a way that is not at all uncommon and did it in what he thought was a peaceful and or semi secluded place. People come here all the time to discover they cannot run from themselves and/or get their hearts broke and/or blow through their savings and have nothing left at home to return to. Based on info provided, I would guess suicide (which 9 times out of 10 always leave questions) but there is just too little information known to have confidence in either murder or suicide ... In fact it could have even been accidental if he was one of those guys into the whole orgasm choking thing as there is no mention of what he was wearing and if his pants were up or down ... police almost always never give all the details out especially initially.

In ref. to your post #49...

Nisa, the bit about the water in the plastic bag is very baffling and strange.... I'm not discounting that this could be done, but strange... Don't you think so?

For sure strange regardless if suicide or murder and why I pointed out there is no mention of how much water. Tying a bag over your head is not that uncommon method of suicide especially with somebody who has taken pills and I can only speculate they say it might be a weird suicide because of the water. I really have to suspect it was not a great deal of water and it came from the victim's body one way or another such as expelled from his stomach if he has only been drinking and not eating. It really is very common for suicides also to leave unanswered questions ... he may simply have been hot (possibly with the help of drugs ingested) and poured a bottle of water over his head before the act or even went into a river nearby before putting the bag over his head. He would have dried off as he lay dead except for the water which accumulated in the bag which couldn't evaporate. Even a murder you'd have to come up with some odd scenarios for both for the motive and ability to have any significant water in the bag while there being no signs of struggle. The only thing I could think of in a murder is somehow they wanted the death to appear as a drowning but then somehow didn't follow through once he suffocated.

Terrible thing for his loved ones but would like to hear what they do discover though these stories often have a way of not be followed up by the press here but then again this one may since they have not yet released/discovered his nationality.

• Like 1

Sorry Johpa,

Total drivel to claim that "drug lords" put on price on foreigner's heads. That some "drug mules" or other low level couriers might execute someone who happened to chance upon their activities is entirely possible, be they foreigner or Thai. There was the shootings of some tourists along the Kok river back in the early 1980s in some botched robbery attempts, but those were not drug related. As the man who shot one of the the tourists told me " I was shooting above their heads and then this idiot Farang stood up in the boat to take a picture". There was the execution of the two Border Police in the Chiang Dao region back in the early 1990s, one of whom was a friend of mine, but they were working undercover for the DEA. But I can't recall foreigners being targeted and killed by drug runners and the closest thing to a true "drug lord" in Mae Ai District was always quite friendly towards Farangs and even had a backpacker oriented guesthouse in his village where the owner of the guesthouse would take the tourists trekking through the area. I am sure your contacts in Mae Ai and Fang would be happy to introduce you to their very special friend up in the Lisu village. But that village is not where the drugs come through, and they aren't going to tell you which village is the big drug smuggling point.

Again, it is not smart to be nosing around alone on remote paths along the border in that region, where in some parts the border is less defined than other areas. Those who do run the risk of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and I do believe that the hospital in Fang has received the bodies of foreigners who have befallen such ill fate. I shall make no comment upon the Fang police nor Mae Ai district officials past or present. Although it is probably a very good strategy for them to tell foreigners that "the drug lords have put a price on the heads of foreigners" in order to keep said foreigners out of trouble. Because what these people want less than anything else is the unwanted attention that the death of a foreigner might bring to the area.

Yes we agree you are sorry,So lets see, as you imply, the guy decided to kill himself.So the steps you follow when you kill yourself is1) dispose of all money2) dispose of all identity3) dispose of phone4) grab a clear plastic bag5) grab some water6) grab some wire7) go to some strange place in Thailand near the Berma border8) put the bag on the ground9) stand on your head in the center of the bag10) hold the bag up around your head with one hand11) fill the bag with water12) dispose of the container that held the water13) wrap wire tightly around your neck14) stumbel into the brush15) remain calm while you inhale water and suffocateYep, sure sounds like a suicide to me.

Have to wait and see if they release more info but taking some pills and tying a bag around your head is actually not at all an uncommon way to commit suicide. There is also no indication of how much water was in the bag (condensation or evaporation from the some of the 70% out water our body is made??) but it would make little to no sense for anyone to add water to the bag in a suicide or killing this way but would make more sense in a suicide especially if he was under the influence and would make even less sense that he would not put up a fight or that they killers would pose his body leaning up against a tree or that people looking to do him harm would be able to lure him to drive into the middle of nowhere and allow himself to have a bag pulled and tied over his head with no fight.

Could be murder or suicide but given the few facts available at the time of the article it is not an easy call to make and we need to speculate about many things to even make a guess but lets not going making up facts that are contradicted in the article just because we want to believe something to be true.

Yes it could be anything, but it seems odd how Thai authorities like to start almost every investigation claiming the death a suicide. In the US about .00011 percent of the population commits suicide, but for some reason, foreigners flock to Thailand to kill themselves. I'm deeply depressed so I gather up my remaining funds, get a ticket to Thailand, have a few beers, then commit suicide. Uh hu, Sorry for my skepticism.

Yes it could be anything, but it seems odd how Thai authorities like to start almost every investigation claiming the death a suicide. In the US about .00011 percent of the population commits suicide, but for some reason, foreigners flock to Thailand to kill themselves. I'm deeply depressed so I gather up my remaining funds, get a ticket to Thailand, have a few beers, then commit suicide. Uh hu, Sorry for my skepticism.

I think you may just be viewing things a bit out of perspective. In this case nobody has claimed it to be a suicide and you need to realize suicides often go unreported in your home country just as the do here for locals but news of farang deaths here often make the headlines in the English news here. You also have to remember lots of these folks have come here to try and run away from their problems only to discover they cannot run away from themselves. The stories of folks killing themselves are rarely if ever actual short term tourists but usually longer term residents that blew all their money or had some young girl break their heart and possibly bank account. Although there are a great number of folks who come to live and or retire here for many reasons that are positive a good number also come here who have vices and there are few people around to stop them from hitting rock bottom as there might be back home. And I really don't know of any habit of police claiming things to be a suicide from the start but I do know they will often say it could be if it looks like it might be.

Edited by Nisa

Yes it could be anything, but it seems odd how Thai authorities like to start almost every investigation claiming the death a suicide. In the US about .00011 percent of the population commits suicide, but for some reason, foreigners flock to Thailand to kill themselves. I'm deeply depressed so I gather up my remaining funds, get a ticket to Thailand, have a few beers, then commit suicide. Uh hu, So

rry for my skepticism.

skepticism is OK.

but can you tie it into some meaningful facts. Like what is the percentage that are murdered. What is the percent that die on the roads. Are all road accidents really an accident or are some of them ruled that way when in fact they were planned suicides.

.00011 percent is a very small figure but how does it stack up against others.

Dear fellow Thaivisaites, I hope none of you'all contemplate suicide, but if you do, pleeeeaase leave a note. That will save all this whodunnit speculation. If feeling down, do as Flakey Foont did in one of the Mister Natural episodes: Go visit Mr. Natural and he will play some honkey tonk piano for you, and you'll feel better, guaranteed.

P.S. I met the cartoonist, Robert Crumb who did the Mr. Natural comics in the 1960's. He's a small self-efacing shy guy, likes square dancing, and pulling ladies panties down from behind without warning. He's also a genius (in my estimation). He traded some of his original artwork for ownership of a cottage in southern France. Now, if that's not some cool trade, I don't know what is.

I knew another Robert Crumb who was a living breathing GI Joe, the exact opposite of the cartoonist. The redneck Crumb shot and killed his next door neighbor for pooping on his (the neighbor's) compost pile.

Edited by maidu

Dear fellow Thaivisaites, I hope none of you'all contemplate suicide, but if you do, pleeeeaase leave a note. That will save all this whodunnit speculation.

Now don't put ideas into BiBs heads. Last thing we need floating around every crime scene involving foreigners is suicide notes in pidgin. :(

or the note could wax in Latin..........

Mundus hic est pomum, et ego semper adepto quassatum portiones.

Valete et videre vobis in Gemmans Portas

(This world is an apple and I always get the bruised portions. Goodbye. See you at the Pearly Gates.

• Like 1