Which Is Better...thai Price Tag Vs British Quality?

krisb

So what would you call a car made in Thailand by Thai workers and Thai managers?

I would call it a [nationality of the motor company] car. If it was a Thai company then it would be a Thai car, a German company a German car, etc.

So is a German car made in Britain better than a German car made in Thailand or are they the same?

Where does the car get its passport? Were Vauxhall cars American? Same as Opel?

While I was getting my car washed, I took a walk past the car showrooms. The first one was called (Translated) English Motors, and was primarily a BMW dealer. Then, next door was the VW dealer, and then the Lotus dealer; there was a Honda dealer and a Ford service centre as well. No local brands, though, except for the Lotus.

SC

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really know enough about the quality of Thai motor-workmanship vs. British motor-workmanship to have an informed opinion.

Hence why you are on this thread, presumably. If only people who knew what they were talking about posted, it would be very quiet in General...

Where does the car get its passport?

The country who owns the company whose logo is on the car should define the "nationality" of the car. To draw another parallel, Nike trainers that are made in China are still generally considered to be American, not Chinese.

Where does the car get its passport?

The country who owns the company whose logo is on the car should define the "nationality" of the car. To draw another parallel, Nike trainers that are made in China are still generally considered to be American, not Chinese.

Most successful companies are privately held, rather than being state-owned, so the "country who owns" should probably read "the nationality of the owner".

So Vauxhall became American when they were bought by GM, and similarly, Mini are now German. Do we need to trace the nationality of the majority shareholders? Or do we base it on the market in which the shares are traded?

Are old Minis German as well now, or is it only cars in manufacture or not yet manufactured that take the new nationality?

Do the individual cars take the nationality of their owner when they are bought as individual units?

SC

Probably boils down to a matter of opinion. Personally, I would say a BMW-made Mini is ultimately a German car, but if someone else wants to consider it British because it's made in the UK, then I wouldn't argue with them and would accept their position.

I wouldn't delve too deeply into shareholders, etc. and in fact I wouldn't really think deeply into the true "nationality" of a car at all to be honest.

And I bet the Native Americans, Maoris, Inuit and native people of Rhodesia apreciated them too.

Alexander Fleming............... penicillin

John Logie Baird...................television

Alexander Graham Bell.........telephone

Should add to the list, Joseph Lucas...............Prince of darkness.

Lucas, inventor of the intermittent windshield wiper...and intermittent headlights.

Why do the British drink warm beer? Lucas refrigerators.

And I bet the Native Americans, Maoris, Inuit and native people of Rhodesia apreciated them too.

Alexander Fleming............... penicillin

John Logie Baird...................television

Alexander Graham Bell.........telephone

Should add to the list, Joseph Lucas...............Prince of darkness.

Lucas, inventor of the intermittent windshield wiper...and intermittent headlights.

Why do the British drink warm beer? Lucas refrigerators.

If ignorance is bliss you must be in Nirvana. Try and chill a good British Real Ale and you will see why it's drunk at room temp.

Edited by RabC
  • Like 2

"British labor with some decent German quality control, what's wrong with that? It works well in Thailand as I think a number of posters have pointed out.smile.png"

I never said anything was wrong with that?

It is British Labour...........

"British labor with some decent German quality control, what's wrong with that? It works well in Thailand as I think a number of posters have pointed out.smile.png"

Lets not get overly pedantic about spelling. If he spelled it with a Q or something, fine. However, this is an international forum, and you must make allowances.

• Like 1

labour/labor meh.

How many of them are actually british and not an import themselves ?

• Like 1

Genuine question...........

When was the last time you bought a poor quality British manufactured item?

Have you ever owned a car/motorcycle with a Lucas-made electrical system? laugh.png

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they do still have a claim to "sudden, unexpected darkness."

Lucas -- inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas -- inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch -- DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings -- SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The original anti-theft devices -- Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...."

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas-powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner, "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" He replied, "It doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens anyway!"

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas makes refrigerators, too.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone. Thomas Edison invented the light bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the short circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.

Edited by Semper
  • Like 1

Have you ever owned a car/motorcycle with a Lucas-made electrical system? laugh.png

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they do still have a claim to "sudden, unexpected darkness."

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner, "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" He replied, "It doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens anyway!"

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone. Thomas Edison invented the light bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the short circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

Gee, most Ive ever seen Semper write.coffee1.gif

Keep it upbiggrin.png

Keep it upbiggrin.png

He has discovered cut and pastesmile.png

• Like 1

Keep it upbiggrin.png

He has discovered cut and pastesmile.png

Yes, it's great fun, saves time to. smile.png

Edited by Semper
  • Like 1

I'm for sure not a British quality fanboy, but today I was at Pattaya Homeworks and was looking at those mosquito lamps which all had a sticker Q.C. PESSED.

I have no doubts that they weren't made in Britain. biggrin.png

Id say the price tag gave that away right?...qc pessed came close second?....still, did you buy it , how much and does it work as good as back home or have the mozzies disappeared?

I'm for sure not a British quality fanboy, but today I was at Pattaya Homeworks and was looking at those mosquito lamps which all had a sticker Q.C. PESSED.

Id say the price tag gave that away right?...qc pessed came close second?....still, did you buy it , how much and does it work as good as back home or have the mozzies disappeared?

You mean.........that stuff doen't work like explained on the box. ?

Lucky I didn't waste 259 Baht on it then.

You mean.........that stuff doen't work like explained on the box. ?

Lucky I didn't waste 259 Baht on it then.

How do nyou keep mozzies away now then?...259bahts a good price. Slight spelling mistake on the box but so what. Outside Thailand that would be $50 easily....

So once again, my thread title stands...Thai price tags better than British quality.thumbsup.gif

labour/labor meh.

How many of them are actually british and not an import themselves ?

Thats what Im talkn bout!

Thai prices will always be better than British quality. Theres almost no such thing these days. Its all imported.

I say lets run a poll. Let the numbers speak for themselves, which is better, Thai prices versus Brit Quality.

Edited by krisb

Possibly could have been Q.C. PEST

Something lost in google translate....................rolleyes.gif

A test was carried out perhaps 20 years ago

A Swiss analog watch costing 100.000 a currency i cant recall,

vs a digital watch costing 10 cent or in that order.

Result ?

the 10 cent digital watch kept time better

A test was carried out perhaps 20 years ago

A Swiss analog watch costing 100.000 a currency i cant recall,

vs a digital watch costing 10 cent or in that order.

Result ?

the 10 cent digital watch kept time better

Wouldn't help if the owner was a Thai.