Where To Get Good Mexican Food?

maxme

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Went to El Mariachi Taqueria on Sri Nakharin just past Paradise Park the other night (they're on facebook).

I had beef quesadillas and the beef was every bit as good as in La Monita. They also import the corn from Mexico to make the tortillas. I'm at home munching on a humongous burrito mojada which is also good (although I think I've decided that corn based wraps are more to my taste). They don't have the selection of salsa that La Monita has though.

It's a family affair with the Thai wife front-of-house and the Mexican husband and chef in the kitchen. They also do catering for the Mexican embassy . . . 'nuff said? Nope; generous portions and very reasonable prices (I don't recall seeing anything over 300 Baht on the menu) plus they deliver. Really cool and friendly vibe too.

Definitely going back.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 2

Went to El Mariachi Taqueria on Sri Nakharin just past Paradise Park the other night (they're on facebook).

I had beef quesadillas and the beef was every bit as good as in La Monita. They also import the corn from Mexico to make the tortillas. I'm at home munching on a humongous burrito mojada which is also good (although I think I've decided that corn based wraps are more to my taste). They don't have the selection of salsa that La Monita has though.

It's a family affair with the Thai wife front-of-house and the Mexican husband and chef in the kitchen. They also do catering for the Mexican embassy . . . 'nuff said? Nope; generous portions and very reasonable prices (I don't recall seeing anything over 300 Baht on the menu) plus they deliver. Really cool and friendly vibe too.

Definitely going back.

Thanks for that Trembly....will try do drop in sometime. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

See that La Monita's are opening branches at Paragon and Siam Chitlom. Business is clearly good.

I had a breakfast burrito while I was there. Wouldn't particularly recommend it tbh. What with the egg, the French fries and the dough, found it a little on the stodgy side.

Definitely going back.

This should be up there for "post of the year"

Honourable mention in dispatches should also go to posts 159 & 160.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Paddy's Cantina, at the mouth of Patpong, was worse than any food I had in Mexico. Amazingly, it's been there over 20 years.

If Paddy's Cantina was the best food you had in Mexico, they must make some killer cocktails!

I'm sure the mexican food here will be just as good as the thai food was in LA.........

But still you know what they say about us beggers.laugh.png

I have a wet spot on my shirt,

from the saliva dripping off my chin,

as soon as i read the word "carnitas"!! w00t.gif

La Monita appeared to be trialling a tuna tacos last week. I thought it didn't work so well.....stick to making great carnitas!

Good gawd man, what next tomato or mayonnaise sauce.

I stick to T&S on Suk soi 18, might not be upmarket enough for some.

As a San Diego boy, we love us our fish tacos. Of course, we don't use tuna, but getting them right on the beach in Rosarita or Ensenada, well, those are heaven sent.

Does Tacos y Salsa still do a weekly buffet?

I'm sure the mexican food here will be just as good as the thai food was in LA.........

La Monita appeared to be trialling a tuna tacos last week. I thought it didn't work so well.....stick to making great carnitas!

As a San Diego boy, we love us our fish tacos. Of course, we don't use tuna, but getting them right on the beach in Rosarita or Ensenada, well, those are heaven sent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9o3KKwZC_o

Roasarita, Ensenadahhh, those were the days!

One way to try and explain, those fish tacos would be like trying to explain an orgasm to somebody who has never had one. Ensenada is really something. I have had some amazing ones all the way down too, at a place called Pilar's I believe, in Todos Santos. Food don't get much better than that. This thread is just totally futile in my opinion, you need a flight to Mexico is the answer :)

<deleted> just looked at La Monita online menu

Prices look good and food photos look good

but can someone tell me <deleted> is a "Monkey Wing"?

<deleted> the answer is in the thread, or google translate.

Real life monkey meat in deep fried batter.

The first time I ate the monkey wings I thought they were the best wings I'd had in BKK. Went back a week later and didn't like them at all. Tasted funny, almost fishy.

Not sure if it was just me or something changed.

Real life monkey meat in deep fried batter.

The first time I ate the monkey wings I thought they were the best wings I'd had in BKK. Went back a week later and didn't like them at all. Tasted funny, almost fishy.

Not sure if it was just me or something changed.

Probably fried the wings after too many loads of fish.

"Buffalo" wings became very popular in the States. They are spicy, deep fried chicken wings. Monkey wings are La Monita's take on these.

La Monita has a taco truck style restaurant on the lower floor of Siam Paragon just outside Gourmet Market.

These are the monkey wings - really good but as noted there is a slight fish flavour not sure if ots the herbs or oil -6 pieces for 120 baht or 10 for 150

post-183262-0-43522700-1381556350_thumb.

post-183262-0-62829900-1381556802_thumb.

Edited by ToddWeston
  • Like 1

La Monita has a taco truck style restaurant on the lower floor of Siam Paragon just outside Gourmet Market.

These are the monkey wings - really good but as noted there is a slight fish flavour not sure if ots the herbs or oil -6 pieces for 120 baht or 10 for 150

I tried these once....and the tortilla with dip starter....not impressed with either.

Just give me the pork carnitas cali-tacos with hot salsa....big winner for me!