Where To Get Good Mexican Food?

maxme

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've succeeded in packing out La Monita seven says a week, with people often lined up waiting for tables. Reservations are a must.

That's great for them and i will be sure to give them a go, but doesn't really answer my question.

If all there was to packing out a restaurant was cooking good food, a lot of restaurants that have gone out of business, wouldn't have. Obviously location is extremely important, but there are many other factors too. I was just wondering in response to the person who said that La Monita would pack out CBs if they took over, whether that person believed they were capable of doing this just because of the superiority of their food.

Yes.

CB's is in an (arguably) much better location than La Monita, but does only lukewarm business. Service standards are similar, marketing agressiveness doesn't differ much...so what's left other than the food?

last tried Charley Browns a couple of weeks ago i am afraid found the food to be still pretty average. The location is good and that sub soi is getting better all the time with one or two very good restaurants (sadly not incl cb,s).

if the management are open to ideas then mine would be that they should turn the whole operation over to la monita as a 2nd branch. The place would be packed 7 days a week (rather than half empty like now) and they could sit back and enjoy a share of the profits

Fair enough.

I guess these things are subjective though. Just checked out La Monita and Tacos and Salsa on Tripadvisor, and both of them have some not very flattering recent reviews... not that of course reviews can always be trusted, but i guess the same accusation could be easily be made of comments made here.

What in your opinion makes La Motina so much better, and what is it about their business that would guarantee CBs would be full 7 days a week? Purely down to the taste of the food?

I have always found tripadvisor a complete waste of space for Bangkok restaurant advice, much better gastronomic pointers available on this forum. on TA there are just too many obviously planted reviews by the owner and his mates.

La Monita is not perfect by any means (i am not a big fan of the slightly dreary location ) but it seems to serve the best mexican food in bangkok for now. i for one would love to see it have some serious competition but it doesnt look like it will come from CB,s.

my advice for CB,s Management was meant to be a little tongue in cheek but on the art of filling a restaurant in bangkok La Monita takes some beating (maybe by Isao on soi 31). I was there on its 2nd night open and have been many times since and the place is nearly always packed. In contrast to many farang run restaurants they seem to have a real following among Thais, particularly young hi sos. and they have had that from their early days, they must have some good PR or good connections into that crowd or something. but in any event the reason i and a few others i know keep on going there is we like mexican food and havent , as yet, found better in Bangkok .

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1

They've succeeded in packing out La Monita seven says a week, with people often lined up waiting for tables. Reservations are a must.

That's great for them and i will be sure to give them a go, but doesn't really answer my question.

If all there was to packing out a restaurant was cooking good food, a lot of restaurants that have gone out of business, wouldn't have. Obviously location is extremely important, but there are many other factors too. I was just wondering in response to the person who said that La Monita would pack out CBs if they took over, whether that person believed they were capable of doing this just because of the superiority of their food.

Yes.

CB's is in an (arguably) much better location than La Monita, but does only lukewarm business. Service standards are similar, marketing agressiveness doesn't differ much...so what's left other than the food?

As i say, if the difference in food alone between La Monita and and CBs, is sufficiently big to turn CBs into a packed restaurant 7 days a week, it must be amazing food. I look forward to sampling!

I have always found tripadvisor a complete waste of space for Bangkok restaurant advice, much better gastronomic pointers available on this forum. on TA there are just too many obviously planted reviews by the owner and his mates.

I have indeed been caught out once with tripadvisor, but having wised up a little, i am better at recognising those planted reviews you mention, and once you discount those, i think it can be useful feedback.

La Monita is highly recommended :licklips:

I've been several times, many times with different friends who have travelled extensively. Each have enjoyed and raved about the food. Most recently took a friend who is in the food industry. He devoured the tacos.

• Like 1

As humbly as possible, I'll just add that the "problem" with Mexican food here is that most of the customers don't have any idea what it should really taste like. Florida can't even begin to get a feel for what Mexican food is - maybe seeing it all visually on a map would make my point clear.

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Like 1

As humbly as possible, I'll just add that the "problem" with Mexican food here is that most of the customers don't have any idea what it should really taste like. Florida can't even begin to get a feel for what Mexican food is - maybe seeing it all visually on a map would make my point clear.

True. Most people. There are some Mexicans in Thailand and also a good portion of Americans and Canadians in Thailand are familiar with what Mexican food should taste like from visits to Mexico and/or experiencing Mexican food as eaten by real Mexicans in Latino barrios at home. Edited by Jingthing

True. Most people. There are some Mexicans in Thailand and also a good portion of Americans and Canadians in Thailand are familiar with what Mexican food should taste like from visits to Mexico and/or experiencing Mexican food as eaten by real Mexicans in Latino barrios at home.

How many Europeans do you think visit Mexico each year?

I think you would be surprised.

True. Most people. There are some Mexicans in Thailand and also a good portion of Americans and Canadians in Thailand are familiar with what Mexican food should taste like from visits to Mexico and/or experiencing Mexican food as eaten by real Mexicans in Latino barrios at home.

How many Europeans do you think visit Mexico each year?

I think you would be surprised.

I wouldn't be at all surprised as I've partied with some of them in Mexico, but I am sure a greater percentage of Americans and Canadians have been to Mexico than Europeans. And Americans/Canadians often go OFTEN. The other thing about Americans into Mexican food is that in many parts of the USA (even far off places from Mexico like Chicago) the real thing is available all the time ... at home. Mexico and the USA are joined at the hip, some like that, some don't. Given all that, I really don't think there are a SIGNIFICANT number of Europeans in Thailand who are very knowledegable about Mexican food. Perhaps more than Mexicans here though! No personal insult intended, obvious only talking in generalizations on these matters. So I think the CORE market for better Mexican food in Thailand is Mexicans (tiny numbers), Americans, Canadians, and hiso/trendy Thais who are attracted to it from international travel or trendiness factors.

Ethnicity/nationality market demographics does impact on business potential. I love Iranian food. I think that is unusual for an American. Guess who I mostly find in Iranian restaurants? Iranians.

Edited by Jingthing

TAMALE ALERT TAMALE ALERT.

Nobody has mentioned it here, but the relatively new "El Diablos" mexican restaurant (more of a taco/burrito shop than a full restaurant) located at the end of soi 24/26 near pres. park/davis buildings has some amazing tamales. Ive been there 3-4 times since they opened about 1.5 years ago and each time has been a different experience, some good, some not so good. The place is run by a young north american guy (but i think his Dad has an El Diablos in CM...not sure).

I went last night with a couple buddies and was informed that he had made a batch of tamales. Now, if you don't know what a tamale is, as the thais say "goo-gun".

I immediately ordered one to try as an appetizer and after 2 bites I ordered 5 to take home. They are amazing. The key is getting the masa right, and as you can't buy the masa mix here ready-made tamales are VERY difficult to pull off. But I can say as purely a customer with no stake in the business that they are just like my Grandma used to make. Best part (I think he will realize he isn't chargin enough soon) is that they are only 50 baht, which is about the same price as what they cost in a taqueria in california. They are shredded, seasoned pork tamales, im not sure if he has chicken or beef. I also ordered a big wet burrito and it was eh, ok, the "carne asada" used it in wasn't very good.

Dallas or LA....... Bangkok, not so much. Villa has most of the ingredients to make yourself, that is what I have resorted too.

Dallas or LA a little bit too far, and I'm a little bit too lazy . . .

I'm sure the mexican food here will be just as good as the thai food was in LA.........

But still you know what they say about us beggers.laugh.png

I have a wet spot on my shirt,

from the saliva dripping off my chin,

as soon as i read the word "carnitas"!! w00t.gif

I'm sure the mexican food here will be just as good as the thai food was in LA.........

La Monita appeared to be trialling a tuna tacos last week. I thought it didn't work so well.....stick to making great carnitas!

La Monita appeared to be trialling a tuna tacos last week. I thought it didn't work so well.....stick to making great carnitas!

Good gawd man, what next tomato or mayonnaise sauce.

I stick to T&S on Suk soi 18, might not be upmarket enough for some.

Good gawd man, what next tomato or mayonnaise sauce.

I stick to T&S on Suk soi 18, might not be upmarket enough for some.

T&S is excellent.....lucky we are to have two great Mexican places in Bangkok.

• Like 1

After all the rave reviews here, i went in there the other day for lunch, for a bite. The food was excellent. The beef was some of the best i've had in BKK. Will defo be going back there again.

With regards comments about it being much better than Charley Brown's though, not sure i understand those comments. La Monita might have been ever so slightly tastier, but we are talking very fine margins here. The service, ambiance, everything else, i found much the same. Prices perhaps a bit cheaper at Charley's.

Look fwd to giving T & S a go.

After all the rave reviews here, i went in there the other day for lunch, for a bite. The food was excellent. The beef was some of the best i've had in BKK. Will defo be going back there again.

With regards comments about it being much better than Charley Brown's though, not sure i understand those comments. La Monita might have been ever so slightly tastier, but we are talking very fine margins here. The service, ambiance, everything else, i found much the same. Prices perhaps a bit cheaper at Charley's.

Look fwd to giving T & S a go.

Go back and order cali tacos the soft flour variety with pork carnitas. Smother with the hot salsa and then tell me what you think.

The beef is just OK by comparison.

• Like 1

Go back and order cali tacos the soft flour variety with pork carnitas. Smother with the hot salsa and then tell me what you think.

The beef is just OK by comparison.

I love red meat so much and get bored with all the pork (and chicken) in Thailand, so ordering something other than beef when i have the chance is not easy. I will try though!