Where To Get Good Mexican Food?

maxme

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the best is Charlie Brown's on Sukhumvit Soi 8, a short walk down a side soi.

is that near the Via Vai Italian restaurant?

For me the best is Charlie Brown's on Sukhumvit Soi 8, a short walk down a side soi.

I love their Chicken Fajitas. I know rixalex's post was last January, but I think that you will find it is in the small Soi off of Soi 11, not 8. There is a small bar called Cheap Charlie's at the entrance.

Edited by phetphet

is that near the Via Vai Italian restaurant?

I love their Chicken Fajitas. I know rixalex's post was last January, but I think that you will find it is in the small Soi off of Soi 11, not 8. There is a small bar called Cheap Charlie's at the entrance.

The fajitas aint bad...but its no patch whatsoever on La Monita.....sorry if I am bursting a bubble here.

The fajitas aint bad...but its no patch whatsoever on La Monita.....sorry if I am bursting a bubble here.

Since I made my post about Charlie Brown's, I have been to La Monita's about half a dozen times, and whilst I do agree the food is very good, possibly a little better than Charlie Brown's, I really don't think there is much in it. Don't quite know why La Monita always gets put on such a pedestal. Perhaps it's because it's got that chic, arty, studenty, place-to-be thing going for it. Edited by rixalex

Since I made my post about Charlie Brown's, I have been to La Monita's about half a dozen times, and whilst I do agree the food is very good, possibly a little better than Charlie Brown's, I really don't think there is much in it. Don't quite know why La Monita always gets put on such a pedestal. Perhaps it's because it's got that chic, arty, studenty, place-to-be thing going for it.

Browns was my fav before La Monita....I just think it edges it in every way food wise....maybe CB's has the edge on location and a bit more privacy.....depends on your situation I guess.

I like La Monita for lunch.....the pork carnitas tacos cannot be matched anywhere....especially with the really hot salsa.

• Like 2

Ate at LaMonitas a few days ago. Still very good....and 11 varieties of salsa....free.

Agree. Those carnitas tacos are just like the ones I ate in Salinas.

The other place I like is Tacos & Salsa Soi 18.

But last time I went....there was NO salsa. I only need a tablespoon full or so.

Had to ask and got billed 40 Bt.

That's messed up.

That's like an Italian restaurant that charges for bread and parmesan.

By by.

• Like 2

Ate at LaMonitas a few days ago. Still very good....and 11 varieties of salsa....free.

Agree. Those carnitas tacos are just like the ones I ate in Salinas.

The other place I like is Tacos & Salsa Soi 18.

But last time I went....there was NO salsa. I only need a tablespoon full or so.

Had to ask and got billed 40 Bt.

That's messed up.

That's like an Italian restaurant that charges for bread and parmesan.

By by.

I do agree that the free salsa station at La Monita does elevate the place a bit above the rest.

Maybe I don't know the difference, but I usually think if Cal-Mex to be heavy on the shredded lettuce -- which this wasn't.

Anyway, it tasted great. They even had a guy making flour tortillas from scratch, to order.

I wolfed my (rather large) combo down in about 30 seconds. Fantastic.

Only one. La Monita. biggrin.png

Why waste your money anywhere else?

You are spot on, I'm new to this amazing culinary experience and I wasted a lunch going to sunrise -simply awful well at least the location at terminal 21, rude staff and the food was terrible.

After reading the comments I went today for lunch at La monita, the soft corn tacos were fantastic, so much so we ordered a second order with 3 chorizo fillings. I loved the salsa bar very well run, I'll be back again and again next time I'll order what you guys rave about.

• Like 1

I think it is more California-style Mexican - the guy who started it ran Mexican restaurants in San Diego - but Miguels in Chiang Mai is indeed good.

Stuff like "carne asada chips", which aren't really mexican at all, is some of the best dam_n mexican food I have ever had. then there was the "carne asada fries", what a blissful, san diegan abomination that is (imperial beach made an especially abominable concoction) . man, i am dying just thinking about it. then there were those dam_n SD taquitos. 100% CRAP frozen taquitos, stuck into some oil, then smothered with unbeleivable guacamole, salsa and cheese all over the top. omg, seriously. i just asked about tomatillos in bkk in another thread, i am jonesing big time.

Edited by isawasnake

I'm sure the mexican food here will be just as good as the thai food was in LA.........

Southern California has some extremely good Thai joints. There is a huge Thai population. And because of all the Thais, Vietnamese and Cambodians, sourcing ingredients is not problem. I can't think of anything found in Bangkok that can't be found in LA.

Beside lacking the original ingredients, the biggest problem I have had with any and all Mexican in Bangkok is the ridiculous prices!

We moved from Santa Ana, California, the city with the largest Mexican population, outside of Mexico. When we went for carnitas, we went to El Gallo Giro. We would pick up "La Paqueta de Carnitas Para Familia" It ran $12.95 for a half kilo of carnitas, a pint of rice, a pit of beans, various salsas and garnishes and 3 dozen, hot-off-the-gridle tortillas.

http://www.gallogiro.com/carnitas%20Cazo.html

That's about the same price as a 3 taco plate at La Monita!

I know, it is sad. Worse still, everything is like that here.... double the price and half the quality. It is great to be a thai businessman I guess.

I don't know that the prices are that bad in comparison to most of the USA outside some barrios.

Have you priced a burrito with guac at USA Chipotle these days? (Not that Chipotle is the best place to go, but it's big.)

It costs the equivalent of between 200 and 250 baht.

For fast-food.

You want to know what's REALLY crazy? An order of pad thai for $12 in the US.

I don't know that the prices are that bad in comparison to most of the USA outside some barrios.

Have you priced a burrito with guac at USA Chipotle these days? (Not that Chipotle is the best place to go, but it's big.)

For fast-food.

More.

Currently, an average meal at Chipotle will set you back $9, according to the WSJ.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/17/chipotle-prices-may-rise-food-costs_n_2499784.html

For fast-food.

More.

Currently, an average meal at Chipotle will set you back $9, according to the WSJ.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/17/chipotle-prices-may-rise-food-costs_n_2499784.html

Yes, with drink you're looking at $9.

Even more when you add guac, and in my view guac is a must!

I'm saying Monita's prices aren't as bad as some whine about, if you're really comparing to mainstream U.S. places outside of Mexican barrios.

The places I would frequent, although not "dinner houses", or trendy, mainstream chains, wouldn't be considered "barrio" eateries. Yes, many catered to Mexican clientele, but that doesn't make them "Barrio".

Now, for "dinner house" dining, we would head to Moreno's, in Orange. Their carnitas plate now runs close to $20. But, my wife and I can share it, and still take home leftovers. Plus, I think the setting and the food is a tad above what one finds in Bangkok.

http://www.morenosrestaurant.com/home/

Comparing similar setting and offerings, for something more along the lines of Bangkok eateries, we would head to Sharky's. Beside great entrees, they offer a huge salsa bar.

http://www.sharkys.com/food/menus/

Well, you wont catch me at Chipotle. I don't think places like that are a good argument for comparing prices of Thailand Mexican food and California Mexican food prices. There are cheap options that blow chipotle out of the water as far as authenticity (and taste) goes, so there is no reason to compare it. Relatively bad maxican food is expensive here, no two ways.

There are very few Mexican restaurants of any type in LOS and only a handful of relatively good ones. It is not really a shock that the prices are going to be little more than somewhere where good ingredients are common and there is lots and lots of competition.

Wasn't really recommending Chipotle. For a chain burrito, Qboda is much better, but has similar prices. My point was that the prices for a burrito at those places is similar to a burrito at Monitas. So people saying the prices are that far out of whack with mainstream USA prices might be out of touch with current USA prices.