Where To Get Good Mexican Food?

maxme

La Monita and T&S. Got it.

and I dont mind how gringo-fied the place is. As long as i dont take a female along.(no offense to the fairer of the sex's, I have a tendency to over protect the ladies lol)

is there anyway i can get a better location of T&S? i'm a brand spanking newbie here in TL

PS

on the "gringo-fied" note, i sent a lady friend in the states (a latina) the menu from La Monita. She responded that the menu looked pretty good. I told her that I will no longer ask for her opinion because apparently she has become too gringo-fied.

Her response was a couple of paragraphs starting with "you............................!" and continued on that fashion.... lol yep she's a latina alright.laugh.png

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is La Monita inside the Mahatun Plaza right next to Ploenchit BTS station or on the side soi?

I have been to Sunrise Taco (liked the burrito but not the chips) and El Diablo (I didn't like the burrito but chips were good).

Its on the soi.

and I dont mind how gringo-fied the place is. As long as i dont take a female along.(no offense to the fairer of the sex's, I have a tendency to over protect the ladies lol)

is there anyway i can get a better location of T&S? i'm a brand spanking newbie here in TL

PS

on the "gringo-fied" note, i sent a lady friend in the states (a latina) the menu from La Monita. She responded that the menu looked pretty good. I told her that I will no longer ask for her opinion because apparently she has become too gringo-fied.

Her response was a couple of paragraphs starting with "you............................!" and continued on that fashion.... lol yep she's a latina alright.laugh.png

What's all this gringo business and why do females need protecting from it?

gringo-fied, not gringo.

I'm not looking for hollywood mexican food, or "Tex Mex". I'm looking for something more like East LA mexican, or baja mexican food at the very least. mexico city style would be great!

On the issue of protection from, i was speaking in reply to the comment on the facilities Men can stand and "go". women cannot.... mostly. lol I know some girls from college that would go to the bathrooms in Baja mexico and claim their buns never touched the toilet seat.

TMI !!!

gringo-fied, not gringo.

I'm not looking for hollywood mexican food, or "Tex Mex". I'm looking for something more like East LA mexican, or baja mexican food at the very least. mexico city style would be great!

On the issue of protection from, i was speaking in reply to the comment on the facilities Men can stand and "go". women cannot.... mostly. lol I know some girls from college that would go to the bathrooms in Baja mexico and claim their buns never touched the toilet seat.

TMI !!!

Gringo-fried? Smothered with some of that hot salsa smokie was talking about and yeah, i'd give it a go!

As for facilities, not sure what you are imagining, or what sort of high standards you have, but i can assure you all the of the Mexican eateries in Bangkok have facilities which are for most people perfectly acceptable.

We went to Monita's Friday night, and it was fantastic as usual. The cheese enchiladas are as close to what you get in a Mexican place in the states as there is in Thailand. For sure, this is currently the best Mexican in Thailand. As stated, carnitas are great, and the beef dishes use decent beef, not the typical tough Thai beef.

Regarding some comments in this thread about Coyote, I will say this. I love Coyote, and have eaten many times at both the Silom branch and Phuket branch, and both are very close in quality and taste to the original location in Hong Kong at Wanchai, which I have also eaten at many times. Coyote is a hybrid Mexican/American/Texmex/SW/Asian something or other cuisine, but tasty nonetheless. The enchiladas suiza are great, and they have the best margueritas around.

• Like 1

At the very end of Sukhumvit /Soi 18 and directly across the street from the the Townlodge hotel is a place called: Taco's and Salsa. I think thats the name but the succinct directions will get you

there to be sure.

I liked it,... thought it was passable as good/decent mex food, at least for me.

Give it a try and tell us what you think.

About the best you're going to get here, IMHO.

PS

Walk down soi 18 to the end. It's on your left. Opens at 4pm

• Like 1

gringo = white person. used when discussing white people doing mexicany stuff.

PS

What's all this gringo business and why do females need protecting from it?

Aiiiiii! Someone had to mention El Gordo's...the worst Mexican food I've had in nearly 50 years of eating Mexican food.

It was great when I was 7 years old. ;)

I don't kow whether that was because of my 7 year old palate, nostalgia or different cooks / management but whatever the case it was pretty dam_n good in my memory! :P

Osiris - Thanks! I'll have to check it out the next time i'm in bkk. hopefully within a couple of weeks! smile.png

DiNiro - If you spent 25 years in Salinas, yes you more than qualify. I'll take your word on good Mex food biggrin.png

kblaze - yep you are correct, but while gringo can mean anglo (see haole in Hawaiian, i guess feleng here in TL)

I use the non-term gringo-fied to mean dishes that have been toned down for the western palate.

like menudo without the tripe (i hate to admit it, but i like it this way sad.png )

like tequila shot with salt and lime (it ruins the taste of of the tequila, one drinks good tequila neat, like a good scotch)

like tacos with sour cream (<deleted>?!!)

refried beans without using lard to re-fry them (its just not the same)

dam_n I'm getting hungry again sad.png

Edited by jamhar
  • Like 1

Is La Monita inside the Mahatun Plaza right next to Ploenchit BTS station or on the side soi?

I have been to Sunrise Taco (liked the burrito but not the chips) and El Diablo (I didn't like the burrito but chips were good).

Ate at Sunrise tacos yesterday, carnitas tacos corn tortillas.

Plate came out barely warm, not hot, tortillas might have well been plastic, carnitas tough, practically gave me mandibular dislocation chewing those leatherlike dog chews of "meat", tortilla chips way too thick and hard cardboard-like.

Today La Monita "wet" carnitas burrito, ranchero sauce on top with sour cream and guacamole........lovely. Nice soft tortilla, came out smoking hot.

Just can tell some better ingredients as well as kitchen know how at La Monita compared to Sunrise. Don't think I'll ever go back to Sunrise.

Just remembered this thread :(...

Been to La Monita... all I have to say ... it was excellent.

Am I the only one that doesn´t like Coyote.? The only probable reason any guy want to be there is for the girls. The food ain´t that great and the prices are way too high.

• 5 months later...

For me the best is Charlie Brown's on Sukhumvit Soi 8, a short walk down a side soi.

is that near the Via Vai Italian restaurant?

For me the best is Charlie Brown's on Sukhumvit Soi 8, a short walk down a side soi.

the best Mexican I have had in Thailand was in Koh Samui. but, very pricy and portions were 1/2 the size of what one would get in the states.

As an avid Mexican food fan for decades, Mexican is not the same as Tex-Mex or New Mexico-Mex. I don't really care for true Mexican as I think the Mexican style served in the Southwest US and Texas is far superior.

WIth that said, hard to find something good in Thailand that equals what you can get in Texas or California. But would settle for passable :-)

Any recent reviews? my brother (who is living/working in China) is coming for a visit next week and want's to know if there are any good Mexican restaurants to go to? When I visit him in Southern California, he takes me to some great places.

Ideas?

the best Mexican I have had in Thailand was in Koh Samui.  but, very pricy and portions were 1/2 the size of what one would get in the states. 

As an avid Mexican food fan for decades, Mexican is not the same as Tex-Mex or New Mexico-Mex.  I don't really care for true Mexican as I think the Mexican style served in the Southwest US and Texas is far superior. 

WIth that said, hard to find something good in Thailand that equals what you can get in Texas or California.  But would settle for passable  :-)

Any recent reviews?  my brother (who is living/working in China) is coming for a visit next week and want's to know if there are any good Mexican restaurants to go to?  When I visit him in Southern California, he takes me to some great places. 

Ideas?

Only one. La Monita. :D

• Like 2