Bangkok Taxi Passenger Dragged Out Of Car By Driver

webfact

Nisa, I'd like to know where the plethora of metred taxis actually hang out. Scarce as hens teeth for me.

Are you kidding? There are like 100,000 of them on the streets of Bangkok!

I mean the ones that actually turn them on, but for some reason I think you knew that.

A couple have refused, but there have always been one right behind it who was happy to use the meter.

I know enough not to use taxis who are parked on the streets waiting for gullible tourists.

Very little problem with cabs caught on-the-fly. It helps to speak Thai and not look like a newbie, though.

So a couple refuse then you finally get one. But don't count on the parked ones. Certainly narrowing down the metred taxi pool. Doesn't bode well for a plethora.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. Can't imagine having trouble finding metered taxis...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Sarcasm again? w00t.gif

Actually, I was serious. I think Nisa is once again off on his own trip but I never find it hard to find taxis who'll use their meter.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

• Like 1

To be fair, there are around 100,000 plus taxis in Bangkok , so i would expect some to horrible cheating little shits. I used them often and rarely have any issues day or night. The area in question soi 11 is a pain in the arse anyway - so i just avoid if possible when i'm out for a few beers.

If a taxi guy refuses to take me to my destination or wants to charge a fixed over inflated price - I just tell them no thank you and have a nice evening with a smile. I can wait to the next taxi driver to come along and accept my destination with the meter on. Life is too short to argue.

Where do u get the figure 100,000+? I was told only 20,000 by a taxi driver

Nisa, I'd like to know where the plethora of metred taxis actually hang out. Scarce as hens teeth for me.

Not sure where you are but Bangkok has got to have one of the highest number of taxis of most major city. Don't quote me but I believe NY City has about 15,000 where Bangkok has over 100,000 ... if I am remember correctly I have read in the past.

Not sure where you are but Bangkok has got to have one of the highest number of taxis of most major city. Don't quote me but I believe NY City has about 15,000 where Bangkok has over 100,000 ... if I am remember correctly I have read in the past.

Maybe, but it's a pain to get them to use the metre. I don't see how it is ok to have to try and find one to work legally

• Like 2

Maybe, but it's a pain to get them to use the metre. I don't see how it is ok to have to try and find one to work legally

There is no doubt that there is a small percentage of taxis that don't want to use their meter but I have just not fount this to be a pain at all since I have discovered how to easily spot them. Having drivers not want to take you to a specified location is a heck of a lot more common but this too is often easily avoided but not always. Example; there are always taxis waiting outside my condo, the malls and supermarket type places -- typically those are not the drivers who want to do longer term trips. Just about any taxi parked outside clubs should just be avoided and walk a few meters up the street to hail a taxi driving by. If you are going far then the best bet is not to expect a taxi on the local Soi (though many will) to do a Pattaya run but rather walk up to the main street. The only time I now get taxis not want to use the meter is hailing a taxi around Sukimvit in the middle of the night and that is not even that often and there is usually another taxi right behind waiting to see if I get in the first cab.

But no matter what the case it is almost always a short walk or wait to get a taxi willing to take you with the meter on. If I am out in the middle of nowhere at some off hours then I guess some taxis will try to take advantage and charge more and although I can;t recall the last time that this has happened. I'd probably be happy to pay a couple extra bucks rather than wait and hope for another taxi. Bottom line is what I am saying is I have never found it a pain to find a cheap way to get around Bangkok (beyond traffic congestion) ... lots of things I can complain about but getting around quickly and easily without hassles is not one of them. Yes, it would be great if there was a taxi waiting for me at every location I was at and charging the extremely low meter rate but it would also be nice if there was never a line when I went to the store and that every person in every position was wealthy and never tried to make an extra buck of somebody but I live in the real world and don't have a problem walking a little bit or waiting a few minutes for a taxi or absolutely worst case, calling and paying 20 baht for a taxi to pick me up. Life is not perfect and neither is the taxi system anywhere but in Bangkok, I see it as an incredible convenience when it comes to getting around cheaply. If my priorities were the best cars, service and most honest drivers in the world then I would not think things were so great but I also would expect to pay a lot more ... I just don't see complaining about something that in my opinion is an incredibly great value and very plentiful.

Edited by Nisa

There is no doubt that there is a small percentage of taxis that don't want to use their meter but I have just not fount this to be a pain at all since I have discovered how to easily spot them. Having drivers not want to take you to a specified location is a heck of a lot more common but this too is often easily avoided but not always. Example; there are always taxis waiting outside my condo, the malls and supermarket type places -- typically those are not the drivers who want to do longer term trips. Just about any taxi parked outside clubs should just be avoided and walk a few meters up the street to hail a taxi driving by. If you are going far then the best bet is not to expect a taxi on the local Soi (though many will) to do a Pattaya run but rather walk up to the main street. The only time I now get taxis not want to use the meter is hailing a taxi around Sukimvit in the middle of the night and that is not even that often and there is usually another taxi right behind waiting to see if I get in the first cab.

But no matter what the case it is almost always a short walk or wait to get a taxi willing to take you with the meter on. If I am out in the middle of nowhere at some off hours then I guess some taxis will try to take advantage and charge more and although I can;t recall the last time that this has happened. I'd probably be happy to pay a couple extra bucks rather than wait and hope for another taxi. Bottom line is what I am saying is I have never found it a pain to find a cheap way to get around Bangkok (beyond traffic congestion) ... lots of things I can complain about but getting around quickly and easily without hassles is not one of them. Yes, it would be great if there was a taxi waiting for me at every location I was at and charging the extremely low meter rate but it would also be nice if there was never a line when I went to the store and that every person in every position was wealthy and never tried to make an extra buck of somebody but I live in the real world and don't have a problem walking a little bit or waiting a few minutes for a taxi or absolutely worst case, calling and paying 20 baht for a taxi to pick me up. Life is not perfect and neither is the taxi system anywhere but in Bangkok, I see it as an incredible convenience when it comes to getting around cheaply. If my priorities were the best cars, service and most honest drivers in the world then I would not think things were so great but I also would expect to pay a lot more ... I just don't see complaining about something that in my opinion is an incredibly great value and very plentiful.

Oh dear...here it comes again!

You don't want to understand the use of a taxi and the service, that should be provided for it!

Again: a TAXI, with a "free" sign in the window, should take you from wherever you are RIGHT NOW to wherever you want to go ON METER or previously announced, published rates. Hence the price- board inside many taxis, with a kilometer/money - ratio or a fixed price for trips that are further than usual (eg Pattaya etc.).

And that is IT!

A taxi is there for MY convenience and not for that of the driver!

So walking "a bit", flagging "a few" taxis or having a number of taxis waiting, but not willing to take me or turn on the meter for any whatever reason IS WRONG!

It really doesn't matter, if YOU PERSONALLY are okay with it!

I am personally totally okay with many things...still I might not be right about them or IN the right about them.

• Like 2

Isn't part of the reason for the taxi driver's behavior because of the amount they are allowed to charge? I don't know, I first came to Thailand in 2005 and it was still an initial 35b then, still it, then 1baht per minute when stationary in traffic - no wonder drivers don't want or can't be bothered to drive to certain places. I don't understand how taxis work, I know some drivers own their own cars and others rent for the day, but allowing a higher initial fare would solve most problems. For it to still be 35b doesn't fairly reflect the rise in inflation, living standards, etc, you've got to allow people to make a living wage.

Isn't part of the reason for the taxi driver's behavior because of the amount they are allowed to charge? I don't know, I first came to Thailand in 2005 and it was still an initial 35b then, still it, then 1baht per minute when stationary in traffic - no wonder drivers don't want or can't be bothered to drive to certain places. I don't understand how taxis work, I know some drivers own their own cars and others rent for the day, but allowing a higher initial fare would solve most problems. For it to still be 35b doesn't fairly reflect the rise in inflation, living standards, etc, you've got to allow people to make a living wage.

---------------

About 2 weeks ago I had a conversation with a taxi driver who happened to be an active duty Thai army enlisted man.

He said he drove a taxi only on weekends when he could get time off from his army job.

He paid 300 Baht a day to rent the taxi and was responsible for gasoline for the taxi which was almost always empty when he picked it up from the owner/company.

On a good weekend he posssibly made as much as 900 bant ... that's both Saturday and Sunday.... 12 hours a day at least.

He spoke excellant English so there was no problem that I understood exactly what he was telling me.

He said there were 5 others in his family (besides him) and 3 school age children.

He was happy to be able to have this "good job" driving a taxi to help him support his family.

He took me to my house inside the soi, and helped me carry the bags to my door (I'd been shopping and had aload of bags).

I gave him a 30 baht tip for a 125 baht fare on the meter, and he seemed happy.

Turned out he lives on the same road as me, I'm at soi 42 and he lives on soi 75.

From Wikipedia, with citation of the source:

Taxis are ubiquitous in Bangkok, and are a popular form of transport. As of August 2012, there are 106,050 cars, 58,276 motorcycles and 8,996 tuk-tuk motorized tricycles cumulatively registered for use as taxis.[79]

[79] Transport Statistics Sub-division, Planning Division. "Number of Vehicles Registered in Thailand as of 31 August 2012". Department of Land Transport website. Department of Land Transport. Retrieved 16 September 2012.

• Like 1

I found varying figures on the amount of "licensed" metered taxis, ranging from 70,000 to 200,00+ in Bangkok.

These make interesting reading:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Thailand/Central_Eastern_Thailand/Bangkok-1445238/Warnings_or_Dangers-Bangkok-Taxi_scams-BR-1.html

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Thailand/Central_Eastern_Thailand/Bangkok-1445238/Tourist_Traps-Bangkok-Taxi_scams-BR-1.html

Whilst I agree to a point that it's not always hard to eventually find a taxi to take you where you want to go to, the real point is that it is just "wrong" that they refuse to take you where you ask or charge more than they should.

Yes, we all know how to get around these problems, and most of us don't let it bother us too much, but wouldn't it be nice if they actually did their job for once WITHOUT all the games and scams?

I've said it before, but Thailand is not the same as it was even 3 years ago. These "problems" or "issues" are getting worse every day and it affects Thai's and foreigners alike now. Can I change it? No. Does it bother me? Not normally. Do I "stew" over these things? No. You moan a little and move on.

Edited by Tatsujin

Sure, it would be "nice".

Lots of things would be "nice".

The taxi situation is not one of the first things I'd wish to be improved, though, because the degree of hardship it inflicts is just so nominal that it hardly justifies even complaining about as far as many people are concerned.

• Like 1

The taxi situation is not one of the first things I'd wish to be improved, though, because the degree of hardship it inflicts is just so nominal that it hardly justifies even complaining about as far as many people are concerned.

Yes, I agree it's a minimal hardship in the big scheme of things, but is it too much expecting someone to actually do their job?

• Like 1

Yes, I agree it's a minimal hardship in the big scheme of things, but is it too much expecting someone to actually do their job?

The small percentage you speaking about are doing their job but they are not doing it according to all the rules be it refusing to go certain places or not wanting to use the meter. If you haven't noticed this is Thailand and there are many rules that are acceptable or at least commonly broken especially when they don't harm others or it is business and two parties agree to make a deal such as paying more for a taxi out of convenience.

The interesting this is that nobody complains when breaking these rules that benefit them but some people here seem to whine, YELL and complain, lash out at drivers and find it a major inconvenience to have to walk or wait briefly for one of the very plentiful taxis in Bangkok who are willing to take you to where you want to go in a cheap, fairly new and air conditioned vehicle.

I look at transportation options in Bangkok and cannot think of many other cities where cheap transportation is so easily available to fit so many different types of people and scenarios but for those who obey all rules in life and expect others to do them same then I can understand their shock of what a small percentage of drivers do here but shocking to me is why they would ever spend time in a place like Thailand or come here with absolutely no understanding of how taxis work here and being able to accept how things don't work the same as back home ... and instead of focusing on the negative see the positives. But to each his own I guess.

I for one have no problem with a small percentage of these generally under educated near bottom of the social rung ladder folks doing what they think can make them an extra buck or their job easier given there are sooooooooo many willing to go where I want to go on meter. In fact I am picky and don't even take older cabs because there is just no reason for me to given how many newer ones there are where I know the A/C will be cold and the ride smoother.

Edited by Nisa

The small percentage you speaking about are doing their job but they are not doing it according to all the rules be it refusing to go certain places or not wanting to use the meter. If you haven't noticed this is Thailand and there are many rules that are acceptable or at least commonly broken especially when they don't harm others or it is business and two parties agree to make a deal such as paying more for a taxi out of convenience.

The interesting this is that nobody complains when breaking these rules that benefit them but some people here seem to whine, YELL and complain, lash out at drivers and find it a major inconvenience to have to walk or wait briefly for one of the very plentiful taxis in Bangkok who are willing to take you to where you want to go in a cheap, fairly new and air conditioned vehicle.

I look at transportation options in Bangkok and cannot think of many other cities where cheap transportation is so easily available to fit so many different types of people and scenarios but for those who obey all rules in life and expect others to do them same then I can understand their shock of what a small percentage of drivers do here but shocking to me is why they would ever spend time in a place like Thailand or come here with absolutely no understanding of how taxis work here and being able to accept how things don't work the same as back home ... and instead of focusing on the negative see the positives. But to each his own I guess.

I for one have no problem with a small percentage of these generally under educated near bottom of the social rung ladder folks doing what they think can make them an extra buck or their job easier given there are sooooooooo many willing to go where I want to go on meter. In fact I am picky and don't even take older cabs because there is just no reason for me to given how many newer ones there are where I know the A/C will be cold and the ride smoother.

You keep banging on like a broken record trying to excuse this petty criminal behaviour. Somehow trying to blame it on tourists that are not familiar with the public transportation system is rather pathetic. Suggesting that we all just ignore these little lapses in honesty and immorality is so typical, and so Thai. It's one of the reasons there is rampant criminality and corruption from top to bottom in this country.

Try standing around Pratunam with 6 suitcases, a wife and 3 kids in the rain and see how long your patience lasts. These rogue drivers are a pest, a nuisance and need to be eradicated. I hear so many Thais complaining about taxis every day I wonder what fantasy world you live in Nisa.

Furthermore, these 'taxi drivers' are nothing but petty criminals and are the quickest to try to intimidate passengers and other drivers especially when their petty criminality fails to pay-off. I've even seen some turn violent once they have been exposed for the shysters that they are.

• Like 2

You keep banging on like a broken record trying to excuse this petty criminal behaviour. Somehow trying to blame it on tourists that are not familiar with the public transportation system is rather pathetic. Suggesting that we all just ignore these little lapses in honesty and immorality is so typical, and so Thai. It's one of the reasons there is rampant criminality and corruption from top to bottom in this country.

Try standing around Pratunam with 6 suitcases, a wife and 3 kids in the rain and see how long your patience lasts. These rogue drivers are a pest, a nuisance and need to be eradicated. I hear so many Thais complaining about taxis every day I wonder what fantasy world you live in Nisa.

Furthermore, these 'taxi drivers' are nothing but petty criminals and are the quickest to try to intimidate passengers and other drivers especially when their petty criminality fails to pay-off. I've even seen some turn violent once they have been exposed for the shysters that they are.

A fantasy world where I have no problem using taxis in Bangkok and find it one of the easiest and cheapest major cities in the world around. A fantasy world where whining about or lashing out against other for a the lack of available of cheap taxis doesn't exist for me seems like nonsense. A fantasy world where I am content and don't seem to experience the problems a number of posters here choose to when it comes to getting a taxi in Bangkok .... a fantasy world where I wish I lived when in most other major cities when it comes to finding cheap and abundant taxis just about anywhere in the city.

Edited by Nisa

A fantasy world where I have no problem using taxis in Bangkok and find it one of the easiest and cheapest major cities in the world around. A fantasy world where whining about or lashing out against other for a the lack of available of cheap taxis doesn't exist for me seems like nonsense. A fantasy world where I am content and don't seem to experience the problems a number of posters here choose to when it comes to getting a taxi in Bangkok .... a fantasy world where I wish I lived when in most other major cities when it comes to finding cheap and abundant taxis just about anywhere in the city.

Again you attempt to misconstrue my position in the debate.

You are the most duplicitous poster on Thai Visa.

The bottom line is that there are areas where getting taxis to run the meter is nearly impossible down to some drivers' petty criminality and thus most definitely is a problem. These areas are places frequented by tourists, therefore a visitor has a high chance of being ripped-off by these petty criminals, which in turn sullies Thailand's image.

Worst experience I have had in a Bangkok cab was being threatened by a driver at Don Muang after his intimidation to make me pay 1000thb for a ride into lower Sukhumvit was unsuccessful, and that was taken from the meter taxi stand there (after they were set up due to a host of complaints. Previously, it was every man for himself).

In 13 years of living in Bangkok I have had many unpleasant experiences with taxi drivers, which is par for the course, and which is why I advocate stronger control measures for taxi companies, stronger punishments for unlicensed cabs and higher fines for offences.

You should listen to the night-time radio station that reports about problems with taxis, I think you'd be surprised (if indeed you truly believe what you post, rather than just attempting to defend everything Thai due to vested interests in the country.)

• Like 1

Again you attempt to misconstrue my position in the debate.

You are the most duplicitous poster on Thai Visa.

The bottom line is that there are areas where getting taxis to run the meter is nearly impossible down to some drivers' petty criminality and thus most definitely is a problem. These areas are places frequented by tourists, therefore a visitor has a high chance of being ripped-off by these petty criminals, which in turn sullies Thailand's image.

Worst experience I have had in a Bangkok cab was being threatened by a driver at Don Muang after his intimidation to make me pay 1000thb for a ride into lower Sukhumvit was unsuccessful, and that was taken from the meter taxi stand there (after they were set up due to a host of complaints. Previously, it was every man for himself).

In 13 years of living in Bangkok I have had many unpleasant experiences with taxi drivers, which is par for the course, and which is why I advocate stronger control measures for taxi companies, stronger punishments for unlicensed cabs and higher fines for offences.

You should listen to the night-time radio station that reports about problems with taxis, I think you'd be surprised (if indeed you truly believe what you post, rather than just attempting to defend everything Thai due to vested interests in the country.)

Jor Sor 100?

More stories there of taxi drivers being attacked and robbed by their fares than of taxi drivers refusing to use their meters...

Just 2 examples of my personal experience within the last 5 days:

a) my TGF and 2 of her friends wanted to go from Sukhumvit to Central Silom. At entering the ta\xi, the driver was talking on his phone, but nevertheless signaled them to get in. As he wanted to drop them at Central Chit Lom and they told him, that that was not where they wanted to go to, he became extremely rude, insulted them and even threatened them, when they pointed out, that maybe he should have listened to them in the first place.

cool.png Yesterday, I was out on Patpong for some beers and a bit of pool. At around 10pm, I wanted to get a taxi, to pick my GF at Mahesak and then we wanted to go home to Narathiwas Road. The trip usually costs around 80 baht. 4 taxis (driving by, "free" -sign on, simply refused to go. The 5th asked for a fare of 200 baht off- meter. So I took one of Nisa"s little walks up across the Narathiwas/Suriwongs- junction and tried again. 3 taxis refused, the 4th asked for 100 baht off- meter, which I agreed to...simply because 80+ tip was what I would have to spend anyways.

A few weeks ago, I was at Rama3 wanting to go TO Sukhumvit! It was raining cats and dogs and I was soaked. 3 taxis refused and the 3rd one had the nerve to answer my "XXXX you!" with similar replies. A 4th taxi agreed for 200 baht (around 100 would be metered) and I accepted, because I really wanted to get out of the rain.

I am NOT saying, that this is the rule. But it is no exception either.

I see you also have altered your post Nisa, your original post is quoted in my reply however. I have caught you doing that before.

I think this is just another example of how you choose to see things.. Nobody out to get you or trick you and just like it is so very easy to see the HUGE number of available taxis in Bangkok using there meters it is also just as easy to see I last edited my last post 14 minutes before you quoted it ( the previous one 18-minutes before you quoted it) and even if I didn't so what? No conspiracy going on and nobody out to get you or make you look bad or any other such thing. I simply (like the vast majority of people) edit my posts when they are still available to edit after realizing I didn't word something correctly or made a mistake. But just like this topic you are making mountains out of mole hills ... I am curious though what edit did I make that would have changed or effected your reply or is this just another thing that really should be no problem in your life that you choose to make into a problem such as how easy it almost always is to grab a cheap taxi in Bangkok?

Edited by Nisa