Visa And Teaching Please Help.

Hello i am starting work at a school very soon, contracts signed the lot (take that as I started today).

Well I left my old school on the 12/13th December and got a 60 day extension for being married to a Thai.

This runs out on the 10th February.

I am under the impression I need to leave the country and get a new non b to gain new employment.

The Thai HOD who speaks fluent English says she called Phitsanulok Immigration and they told her I can go to BKK and get myself sorted if I still have 25+ days left on this extension??

I don't know what she is talking about but she is convinced??

I thought without a doubt I need to pop to Laos and sort things out.

Any thoughts please.

jambco984

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

What kind of entry were you on when you got the 60 day extension. If it was a non immigrant visa (B or O) you could get the work permit on that extension and then apply for an extension based upon working or marriage (if you can meet the financial requirements).

It might be possible to do a change of visa status from a tourist visa or visa exempt entry to a non B visa but their is no guarantee it will be done. Plus you would need to have your work permit application approved already.

You could also get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet Laos without financial proof. This would require making border runs every 90 days but it would remain valid even if you stopped working and any of the entries could be extended for a year based upon marriage.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

You should be able to get teaching license (or waver) on a non-o visa or extension based upon marriage. I am certain that there people that have done it. I would suggest attaching a copy of marriage certificate when applying for the license.

Edited by ubonjoe

I was on a non b single from vientiane. I got it January last year, it had the name of my old school written next to the visa in my passport? Would this matter?

I finished at the school and at the time I was on a non b. Then you need to leave the country on the same day or get a 7 day extension if your not married or a 60 day extension if you are married or get a whole new visa.

Edit...

Sausage fingers texting on a phone.

Edited by jambco984

What is the above extension i mention called or does it not really have a specific name.

If I got all documents from the school and local offices I could get a temp teachers license and a WP from BKK and the labour office respectively??

Please clarify.

Thanks

Since you extended the original non-b entry (not the visa) for working and then got a 60 day extension of that extension you should have no problem getting the work permit issued on your current extension.

Edit: The extension of your non-b entry was was an extension based upon working as a teacher.

If you have enough time left on your extension to get your work permit you should have no problem getting it and another one year extension.

Does your 60 day extension have an annotation stating that it was based upon having a Thai wife? This could be important when applying for work permit. Plus a copy of marriage certificate should go in with work permit application.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

Since you extended the original non-b entry (not the visa) for working and then got a 60 day extension of that extension you should have no problem getting the work permit issued on your current extension.

Cheers ubonjoe.

So putting it in plain old English what do I need to do and get, and where do i need to go?

I know my head is great but I dont want to c**k things up as they have only ever had Chinese teachers and agency folk to deal with. This is there first real foreign application.

Thanks.

Edit: The extension of your non-b entry was was an extension based upon working as a teacher.

If you have enough time left on your extension to get your work permit you should have no problem getting it and another one year extension.

Does your 60 day extension have an annotation stating that it was based upon having a Thai wife? This could be important when applying for work permit. Plus a copy of marriage certificate should go in with work permit application.

Yes the non b was for being a teacher.

I imagine that it will say something about being married as that was the reason it was issued. I dont have it on me to check.

So all I would need is the WP and they will issue an extension or do I need my temp teachers license also?

All the details got passed onto Phitsanulok imm for best thing to do scenarios and they are saying what you are saying. I just had never heard of it before so you learn something new everyday.

I've just reckoned it up and at the most I have 9-10 days to get everything done.

Can it be done? The school said they would pay so lets see how much tea money they will have to pay to speed things up.

Will it matter that my original imm office was Mae Sot and now its Phitsanulok?

Did you have your teachers license (or waver) when you got your previous extension? Is the license you got before still valid?

If you get your work permit you should have no problem getting another 1 year extension.

Edit: The immigration office does not matter.

The time enough factor will depend upon the work permit application going in and being approved and then issued. I suspect the tea money might be for this.

Edited by ubonjoe

Speaking to the lady she reckons that I go to BKK and they will say everything is ok. Not imm Phitsanulok. Its hard to work out. Will the non b have been cancelled. What is the name of the 60 day extension i have is it on the b or something different?

I had my 1st temporary teachers license issued last year but it has the schools nnne on it so i need a new one yes?

How can i get a WP without this?

Thanks.

You are on an extension of stay to visit your wife of a non immigrant B visa entry permit to stay.

You should check the teaching in Thailand forum for more info on teaching license. I think you will find a lot of info there.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

I just spoke to the nice man at imm Phits and he said you cross border - No. Good you can stay, go to BKK before 15 days. Where in BKK he doesn't know, what do I take, he says I don't know.

School reckons my contract, certificates, passport, copy marriage cert and letter from district office.

Sound ok???? :huh:

The 15 days would be a TM.86 or TM87 change of tourist visa to non immigrant or issue of non immigrant from visa exempt entry in the process of one year extension of stay. As you do not qualify for one year extension of stay without a work permit see no way it could be used from your current non immigrant extension unless you can qualify for Thai wife extension (400k in bank account); but as said Chiang Watanna would be the place to obtain and the cost would be 2,000 baht. Believe I would just make an exit with school paperwork for a new non immigrant B visa from a Consulate if immigration can not extend your current stay.

The 15 days would be a TM.86 or TM87 change of tourist visa to non immigrant or issue of non immigrant from visa exempt entry in the process of one year extension of stay. As you do not qualify for one year extension of stay without a work permit see no way it could be used from your current non immigrant extension unless you can qualify for Thai wife extension (400k in bank account); but as said Chiang Watanna would be the place to obtain and the cost would be 2,000 baht. Believe I would just make an exit with school paperwork for a new non immigrant B visa from a Consulate if immigration can not extend your current stay.

The friendly folks at the local office have told the school they will not make up the paper work for the teacher as its above them to do it. I asked what they wanted and was assured it wasn't a monetary thing.

What is the guy from Phits Imm on about as he knows my situation. Regards the yes you can do it he said??

So getting a tourist visa and doing it that way is possible?

Edited by jambco984

Am not sure what "local office" means in this but if indeed the school can not provide the normal required paperwork to obtain a visa how can immigration expect you to obtain from another location or covert? Normally visas are issued for teachers without the work permit paperwork (unlike other occupations) if that is what you mean.

Am not sure what "local office" means in this but if indeed the school can not provide the normal required paperwork to obtain a visa how can immigration expect you to obtain from another location or covert? Normally visas are issued for teachers without the work permit paperwork (unlike other occupations) if that is what you mean.

The district office writes up a letter to take to the consulate. I dont know what its called but they have a crappy attitude.

Edited by jambco984

This is the MFA listed requirements:

2.4 Non-Immigrant Visa Category “B” (Teaching) Foreigners who intend to take up employment as school teachers at the levels below university level in Thailand must submit the following required documents:

- Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months

- Completed visa application form

- Recent passport-sized photograph (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past 6 months.

- Letter of acceptance from employing institute or school in Thailand.

- Letter of approval from government agencies such as the Office of the Private Education Commission, the Office of the Basic Education Commission.

- Evidence of educational qualification such as diplomas or teaching certificates.

- School license or business registration, list of shareholders and school profile.

- Applicant’s resume.

- Police certificate verifying that applicant has no criminal record or equivalents or letter issued by authorised agencies in applicant’s country. (The requirement of the submission of such police certificate is optional. The applicant must submit it if consular officer requests he/she to do so. This requirement is effective as from May 2007)

• Like 1

This is the MFA listed requirements:

2.4 Non-Immigrant Visa Category “B” (Teaching) Foreigners who intend to take up employment as school teachers at the levels below university level in Thailand must submit the following required documents:

- Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months

- Completed visa application form

- Recent passport-sized photograph (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past 6 months.

- Letter of acceptance from employing institute or school in Thailand.

- Letter of approval from government agencies such as the Office of the Private Education Commission, the Office of the Basic Education Commission.

- Evidence of educational qualification such as diplomas or teaching certificates.

- School license or business registration, list of shareholders and school profile.

- Applicant’s resume.

- Police certificate verifying that applicant has no criminal record or equivalents or letter issued by authorised agencies in applicant’s country. (The requirement of the submission of such police certificate is optional. The applicant must submit it if consular officer requests he/she to do so. This requirement is effective as from May 2007)

I am confused now. Hmmm

As said if you cannot get work permit before your current extension runs out or they refuse to give you an extension the best option is to make a trip to an embassy or consulate for a new visa.

The other option will be to make a border run and then try for a visa from immigration in Bangkok. The chances of getting the visa at immigration in Bangkok is slim to none IMHO.

If school cannot get paperwork for visa before extension runs out I suggest you make a trip to get a single entry non immigrant O visa based upon marriage (ask embassy or consulate to make an annotation on visa showing it was issued for marriage). You can get the work permit on this visa and then apply for the extension based upon working as a teacher unless you can meet the financial requirement for an extension based upon marriage.

• Like 1