Plodprasop Proposes Flood-Prevention Dam For Bangkok

webfact

Plodprasop proposes flood-prevention dam for Bangkok

Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung

The Nation

30197457-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi is planning to seek hundreds of billions of baht to build a dam in the capital to prevent flooding.

In his capacity as chairman of the Water and Flood Management Commission, Plodprasop said the new dam would block sea inflow. It would not be funded by the already approved Bt120-billion and Bt350-billion flood-prevention budgets.

The dam would either close the mouth of the Chao Phraya River, which is only a few kilometres long, or block a 109km section from the Mae Klong to the Bang Pakong River to prevent flooding in Samut Sakhon, Samut Song-khram, Samut Prakan, Cha-choengsao and Bangkok, he said.

"If we don't have enough money, we will protect Bangkok by closing the mouth of the Chao Phraya River, but if we think the other spots are also important, we can block the flow of water from the Mae Klong to the Bang Pakong," he said.

This project, which has been under study for more than a year, would not be unusual because there are plenty of such dams in Europe, including the one currently being built in the Italian city of Venice, he said. Plodprasop added that the Thai project should be completed during this government's term.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-08

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFFcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Where do they want to place the dam??? On Baiyoke Sky Tower???cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Stupid is as stupid does or in other words:

"We protect Bangkok city, by sh*****loading more on the other provinces, have a nice day, province-scum!!!!"

BLOCK BLOCK BLOCKcheesy.gifcheesy.gif they know nothing else.

But we all know blocking the water isn't the answer

• Like 1

I'm not a hydrologist, but as a recreational fisherman I have noticed that when a river is in spate the tide may be increasing levels while the flow is still seaward. As spring tides seem to coincide with high flows in the Chao Phraya, I wonder if shutting the mouth of the river at such times would be a good idea.

Don't you hate how the "elite" are just worried about protecting the shopping centres in Bangkok.

Not as much as as politicians redirecting state funds into their own bank accounts.

I think its more about the second then the first. Pretty sure all those big projects are big pay-offs to the ruling party.

I'm not a hydrologist, but as a recreational fisherman I have noticed that when a river is in spate the tide may be increasing levels while the flow is still seaward. As spring tides seem to coincide with high flows in the Chao Phraya, I wonder if shutting the mouth of the river at such times would be a good idea.

It definitely is and it will be the ONLY possibility to prevent Bangkok from a major and utter horrible disaster!

I have been warning since many years that the greatest danger for Bangkok is NOT just the excessive water masses from up north but the high spring tide at the same time during a dangerous storm, combined with a full moon!

That only happens in rare weather conditions but the possibility is real.

We have seen the same (several times during the ages) in The Netherlands in 1953 and New Orleans in 2005 by Hurricane Katrina as an example!

I know that many will say that Thailand doesn't have hurricanes but a heavy SE storm, blowing the enormous amounts of waters from the Gulf into the mouth of the Chao Phraya River, combined with high tide AND huge amounts of water coming from up north will effect in a horrible disaster, totally destroying large parts of Bangkok and surroundings! sick.gif

That's why I fully support the plans to build a dam; the sooner the better but of course in Thailands' case, in combination with bridges, water reservoirs up north and channelling systems for oversupply of water from up north.

The Netherlands completed such dams already and New Orleans is in the process of doing and completing dams and it's the only solution for Bangkok as well.

If such a disaster happens, both Don Muang- and Suvarnabhumi Airports will be totally flooded for many months, not to speak of the drama about shipping and fishing vessels, power supply, drinking water, distribution and much MUCH more!!! sad.png

The majority of the economy will come to a total and complete stillstand

Dams in The Netherlands:

http://www.deltawerk...taworks/23.html

post-13995-0-14884700-1357608434_thumb.j

post-13995-0-98218200-1357608542_thumb.j Actual parts of the finished dams in bad weather; the locks can be opened during normal weather.

Edited by LaoPo
  • Like 1

Does anyone else feel a Bangkok-election coming on ? wink.png

Any connection between this fantastical announcement, and the PTP-candidate needing a boost at the polls, is of course completely coincidental ! laugh.png

Yes and no. Don't forget that it is the people of BKK that pay most of the tax collected, and the thought of a few hundred billion going for a corruption plagued white elephant may not sit well.

• Like 2

The people who have recently bought new cars thanks to the first car scheme, as well as the Japanese Automobile Industries in provinces like Ayutthaya will have more to worry about, if you know what I mean…whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

It definitely is and it will be the ONLY possibility to prevent Bangkok from a major and utter horrible disaster!

I have been warning since many years that the greatest danger for Bangkok is NOT just the excessive water masses from up north but the high spring tide at the same time during a dangerous storm, combined with a full moon!

That only happens in rare weather conditions but the possibility is real.

We have seen the same (several times during the ages) in The Netherlands in 1953 and New Orleans in 2005 by Hurricane Katrina as an example!

I know that many will say that Thailand doesn't have hurricanes but a heavy SE storm, blowing the enormous amounts of waters from the Gulf into the mouth of the Chao Phraya River, combined with high tide AND huge amounts of water coming from up north will effect in a horrible disaster, totally destroying large parts of Bangkok and surroundings! sick.gif

That's why I fully support the plans to build a dam; the sooner the better but of course in Thailands' case, in combination with bridges, water reservoirs up north and channelling systems for oversupply of water from up north.

The Netherlands completed such dams already and New Orleans is in the process of doing and completing dams and it's the only solution for Bangkok as well.

If such a disaster happens, both Don Muang- and Suvarnabhumi Airports will be totally flooded for many months, not to speak of the drama about shipping and fishing vessels, power supply, drinking water, distribution and much MUCH more!!! sad.png

The majority of the economy will come to a total and complete stillstand

Dams in The Netherlands:

http://www.deltawerk...taworks/23.html

post-13995-0-14884700-1357608434_thumb.j

post-13995-0-98218200-1357608542_thumb.j Actual parts of the finished dams in bad weather; the locks can be opened during normal weather.

You'll pardon me for wondering where ~6000m3 /sec are intended to go with the mouth closed.

I think Plod is working on his giant sponge design as we speak. This will also have a separate budget. Edited by dcutman
  • Like 1

Don't you hate how the "elite" are just worried about protecting the shopping centres in Bangkok.

I'm just stunned that he is apparently abandoning his plan for relying on a thousand boat propellers to control the raging river.

Although it is understandable that this elite billionaire could be enticed to change plans in light of the "hundreds of billions baht" that can be earmarked for his latest great idea.

One picture says more than a thousand words.cheesy.gif

post-94947-0-17063800-1357610263_thumb.j

• Like 1

One intelligent post out of nineteen....................

Thank you LaoPo.

Pity about the rest of you.

The idea is OK especially if you look at what happened in The Netherlands but of course you face the usual problem here of big projects with hugely inflated budgets to accommodate those who already have hugely inflated bank accounts. I have said this before but if the amount of money wasted through corrupt practices was cut by 50% & given to the general populace then I feel sure most people in this country would be quite well off.

Designing & building it within the term of this government is pure fantasy unless he thinks they will be around for the next 20 years.

• Like 1

I have said this before but if the amount of money wasted through corrupt practices was cut by 50% & given to the general populace then I feel sure most people in this country would be quite well off.

If the amount of money wasted through corrupt practices was cut by 50% and used to build schools, train teachers and generally improve the education system then i feel sure all people in this country would be much better off :)

• Like 2

Plodprasop's media spin advisor should tell him to never ever make any pronouncements regarding water.

However if Plodprasop starting giving public comments about the secret path to accumulate billions of baht

on a public servant salary, that would help out the poor people of Thailand.

THEN my respect for him would increase immeasurably .....wai2.gif