Immigration Free-For-All

mgbcnx

Has anybody had recent experience--say,in the last week or so? Is it still a case of the doors opening at 8:00 a.m., heavyweights and sharpest elbows bulldozing their way to the check-in desk, survival of the fittest?

I plan to be there at 7:30 tomorrow morning and dread the prospect. However, I must apply for a 365-day extension to my non-immigrant visa...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I renewed my 1-year type O. I got there at 7am.

They now have a pre-queue queue. I got #44 in the pre-queue, which gave me #233. Everybody after #221 were told to come back at 1pm. I did. Got served at 2:30, and had my visa at 4pm

Make sure you have all your photo-copying done in advance - people were waiting more than one hour to get copies done there.

Edited by wjmark

I had an on-line appt. for last Friday and when I got served the officer asked me to come back on Monday to do my paperwork, there were others in the same situation that were also told the same.

Did they give you another appointment time, or did you just have to join the queue?

Edited by MESmith

I had an on-line appt. for last Friday and when I got served the officer asked me to come back on Monday to do my paperwork, there were others in the same situation that were also told the same.

Good job it wasn't the day your extension expired eh?

Don't know how you guys do it.

I stroll into my immigration whenever,never longer than 15 minutes for report.

30 minutes for annual extension.

A very pleasant experience to boot.

please tell us where!!!

I'm beginning to think it's a darn sight easier to renew a visa on an annual trip to the home country.

CM immigration office needs a complete rethink. Far too many aliens needing their services. Pity the poor staff, who managed to get nice cushy desk jobs for life, and are now finding it near impossible to spend the day by the watercooler chatting about last night's tv.

• Like 1

Does it matter what your reason for coming to Immigration is? Mine is to change passports (USA to USA), i.e., have all related non-O "retirement" info transferred. Guess what I am asking is: Is there a certain number of places available for people with this situation, or does one just ge thrown into a big pot?".

Went there today about 2:00 P. M; told to come back "tomorrow". So,

will try about 12:30 P. M. Sound like a good plan? I hear they give out more nunbers at 1:00 P. M., and, pushing 80 years, I would rather avoid competing in muscular fashion. Would in any case prefer cooperation over competition.

CM immigration office needs a complete rethink. Far too many aliens needing their services. Pity the poor staff, who managed to get nice cushy desk jobs for life, and are now finding it near impossible to spend the day by the watercooler chatting about last night's tv.

They are victims of their own corruption and inefficiency.

Get rid of the touts using the 'back door', organize the queues in a logical way, and most of the problems would be gone.

It would take me about an hour to sort out the system to double the throughput and half the effort from immigration staff.

Sorry, no sympathy for the staff.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

Does it matter what your reason for coming to Immigration is? Mine is to change passports (USA to USA), i.e., have all related non-O "retirement" info transferred. Guess what I am asking is: Is there a certain number of places available for people with this situation, or does one just ge thrown into a big pot?".

Went there today about 2:00 P. M; told to come back "tomorrow". So,

will try about 12:30 P. M. Sound like a good plan? I hear they give out more nunbers at 1:00 P. M., and, pushing 80 years, I would rather avoid competing in muscular fashion. Would in any case prefer cooperation over competition.

I think 12:30 may be too late. I would get there earlier.

They are victims of their own corruption and inefficiency.

Get rid of the touts using the 'back door', organize the queues in a logical way, and most of the problems would be gone.

It would take me about an hour to sort out the system to double the throughput and half the effort from immigration staff.

Sorry, no sympathy for the staff.

Oops, forgot an emoticon wink.png

So basically the officer did nothing after you got to see him/her?

We're you served at the "booked" time of your appointment? Was your visa renewal paperwork correct?

Edited by Thailand

When I went for my extension using the onlineq 3 weeks ago, I was called about 15 minutes late. Ok, acceptable. The appointment with my very helpful immigration officer went very quickly. Unfortunately, I had to wait nearly 2 hours to get my passport. The following day, I went for my re-entry permit just before 1PM and got a number. 1st, the number queue didn't start changing for about 30 minutes. After handing in my passport at about 2PM, I had to wait nearly 2 hours for my passport. AS some people have said, thank goodness the extension and re-entry permit is only once a year.

When I went for my extension using the onlineq 3 weeks ago, I was called about 15 minutes late. Ok, acceptable. The appointment with my very helpful immigration officer went very quickly. Unfortunately, I had to wait nearly 2 hours to get my passport. The following day, I went for my re-entry permit just before 1PM and got a number. 1st, the number queue didn't start changing for about 30 minutes. After handing in my passport at about 2PM, I had to wait nearly 2 hours for my passport. AS some people have said, thank goodness the extension and re-entry permit is only once a year.

So, it's not on your list of 10 best day outs in Chiang Mai?

• Like 2

OP

CM IMM site:

Chiang Mai Immigration Office has stopped using names from a hand-written list made on a sheet of paper to queue for electronic bookings before hours due to problems and unfairness in the booking process and due to services offered by third parties to make bookings. The continuation of this system could directly affect the image of the organization.

The Service Department of Chiang Mai Immigration Office would like to announce the following queuing procedure for visitors making applications:

1. An officer will open the gate at 8 a.m.Applicants are required to take plastic numbered cards at the counter and wait for their number to called.

2. The officer will then allot a number in the electronic queue according to category. The officer will accept applications following the electronic queue number system.

3. While you are waiting, please ensure that you have all required documents such as a copy of your passport ,photographs ,ect.

4. For applicants coming to hear the result of a previous application for extension or to request a letter of residence are not required to take a queue number.Such persons should contact the receptionist at the main counter

The administration of Chiang Mai Immigration Office would like to apologise for any inconvenience.

Thank you for your kind cooperation.

23 nov.2012

Edited by jackr

I thought i read a while back that the staff there have requested bigger and improved premises, but budgets are still controlled by bangkok, who refuse such requests.

I wonder why thaivisa themselves, considering their website name, can't do something about this. Image is important to all governments, and agencies in governments, and only organisations can put such pressure onto state enterprises and people.

Clearly (i drove past immigration today and saw masses of bikes and cars parked past the gates) there are way way way more people needing their services than the number of staff that exist to serve everybody.

Everybody at the moment is a loser, staff and foreigners alike. They must get an improved budget from bangkok, or take over responsibility for the budget from bangkok. I think thailand is ripe for decentralisation.

I thought i read a while back that the staff there have requested bigger and improved premises, but budgets are still controlled by bangkok, who refuse such requests.

I wonder why thaivisa themselves, considering their website name, can't do something about this. Image is important to all governments, and agencies in governments, and only organisations can put such pressure onto state enterprises and people.

Clearly (i drove past immigration today and saw masses of bikes and cars parked past the gates) there are way way way more people needing their services than the number of staff that exist to serve everybody.

Everybody at the moment is a loser, staff and foreigners alike. They must get an improved budget from bangkok, or take over responsibility for the budget from bangkok. I think thailand is ripe for decentralisation.

Why don't you make a run up to Bangkok and pitch your proposal to the head of the Ministry of the Interior
  • Like 1

I guessing this is all a conspiracy to get more people using a paid visa assistance service.

Oh, the corruption!

:lol: Could be but I figure it is something like 2.7 baht a day for me never to have to go in there

except once a year for renewal. Not a bad deal given what its like there.

• Like 2

I guessing this is all a conspiracy to get more people using a paid visa assistance service.

Oh, the corruption!

laugh.png Could be but I figure it is something like 2.7 baht a day for me never to have to go in there

+1

Oh, the corruption!

laugh.png Could be but I figure it is something like 2.7 baht a day for me never to have to go in there

+1

+2

I went to Immigration today to file a 90-day stay report. I arrived about 1:15. The place was astonishingly full of people. It took me about ten minutes in line to get my queue number. An hour and a half later my turn at the counter came up. Five minutes later, I was finished and left.

Don't know how you guys do it.

I stroll into my immigration whenever,never longer than 15 minutes for report.

30 minutes for annual extension.

A very pleasant experience to boot.

That would be Phuket Immigration as 30 Minutes for an annual retirement extension is not uncommon.

15 minutes for 90 reporting is also normal.