Koh Samui Vs Koh Chang Vs Koh Lanta

careless

We've been wintering on Samui for some years now, we rent a bungalow in Maenam. Been thinking of trying out the other two islands. Has anyone here spent time on all three or any of the other ones. I was just wondering how they were in comparison?

beaches

crowds

accomodations

amenities

transportation

internet

any ideas or observations are appreciated. Also what area you stayed on the islands.

Thanks

clap2.gif

having been to Ko Samui many times ( but not since about 2002) where it had already become overgrown an dam expensive. Have never seen a reason to ga back.

I have spent a lot of time in Koh lanta ( only in the off season) an love it, You can get all the things u need including vaired accomodations, internet and great INEXPENSIVE local food in the town.

I llve in Phuket and really lovesometimes getting away from the crowds.

Never been to Koh Chang

Main dif is the open Sea ( lanta) vs the bay ( samui and chang)

• Like 2

KS: Positives - Shopping malls, more to do, variety of restaurants/hotels at various prices, strong nightlife with clubs

Negatives - Mafia louts and ripoff merchants, more traffic, less courteous people

KL: Positives - Pristine island with lovely beaches/sea, very quiet, courteous people

Negatives - No malls, not much to do except swimming and visiting nearby islands, no nightlife

So, it all depends on whether you want a quiet tranquil place or one with more action. Sorry, don't know KC.

• Like 1

I've never been to Ko Lanta but in my experience Ko Chang is generally a much nicer experience than Samui. People are friendlier (especially in the south of the island), there are a good variety of things to do and some of the beaches are spectacular. The nightlife has also developed in recent years (though nothing compared with Samui's) and there is even a nightclub in Whitesands now!

• Like 1

Koh Chang has plenty ot offer in terms of beaches, food, nightlife, diving etc

It's less developed than the others mentioned and friendlier place. The Taxis are still a rip off though, and the roads aren't good, but it's a good value place.

We've been known to stop at the local bars and have a beer or two or three but nightlife isn't a big concern... We are going to head over to Koh Chang the end of this month...do you think we should reserve something or just wing it?

thanks again

clap2.gif

If ur looking for a true Thailand beach experience and as it was before the bars. malls, crowds, traffic and 7/11's arrived head over to Koh Phayam off of Ranong

Don't tell people, for god's sake. Keep it to yourself.

• Like 1

We've been known to stop at the local bars and have a beer or two or three but nightlife isn't a big concern... We are going to head over to Koh Chang the end of this month...do you think we should reserve something or just wing it?

thanks again

clap2.gif

It can get quite busy, but there is an abundance of accommodation. I can give you some suggestions, if you say your budget, and what type of place you want to stay. I have no business affiliation with any of the places.

• Like 1

beaches - best on Samui

crowds - backpackers on Lanta & Chang n yuppies on Samui (tourists)

accomodations - greatest range on Samui, cheapest on Lanta

amenities - greatest range on Samui

transportation - no airport on Lanta or Chang but the ferry ride to Chang is short and there is one on the mainland

internet - no experience outside of Samui

Chang is the most spectacular of these islands and interesting to explore. Lanta is very peacefull and has a charming old muslim township. Samui is .. as you know .. tourist and mafia ridden but still the numero uno for the balance of everything for me. Intrestingly, with so many people aparently wishing to stay in secluded and tranquil places, I wonder why they all flock to busy spots on Samui and not to the South or West that still are, almost, like 20 years ago. Even the perfectly swimming beach like Lipa Noi is empty.

• Like 1

Taxis on Lanta are also getting to similar ridiculous range as other islands.

Hotel wasn't cheap either. Certainly not value for money.

Still Prefer it to samui I think.

Koh Chang is one of those difficult ones for me. I went last year after the first visit some years ago. Back then only 2 kms of the island had paved roads and electricity was subject to how big your accoms generator is :) was a lovely little village feel in those days. Now the town looks no different than a street in pattaya or chaweng, just smaller.

Would still choose it over samui I think. Might not be what it was years ago, but can still find some charming spots.

Other options: koh mook, koh ngai, koh or kradan in trang. Small with not much apart from sea and sand, if that's your thing.

• Like 1

thanks again

clap2.gif

It can get quite busy, but there is an abundance of accommodation. I can give you some suggestions, if you say your budget, and what type of place you want to stay. I have no business affiliation with any of the places.

We are of the lowest budget as long as the place is clean and we can walk to the beach and possibly 7-11 or other shop with beverages and snacks... not too secluded but definitely not Pataya like...

• 2 weeks later...

I hate all three of those islands much for same reasons

Why don't you just go try each one out instead of asking highly subjective questions here?

Samui - crowded scam of an island

Lanta - the island resort that never should have been

Chang - overbuilt, sewage problems, water is not all that pretty.

All these islands only have one really stellar beach and on every one its been ruined by mass tourism.

If you want quiet and beauty - you have to camp the np's

Edited by bangkokburning

thanks again

clap2.gif

We are of the lowest budget as long as the place is clean and we can walk to the beach and possibly 7-11 or other shop with beverages and snacks... not too secluded but definitely not Pataya like...

Well, if you want budget and near to the beach I would suggest any number of the places in Lonely Beach, they range from 200 baht a night up. Also Buzzas Bungalows in Kae Bae is good value, clean, wifi and in a good location to shops and the beaches.