Registering Marrige In Uk For Wife Settlement Visa

Hi , me and my wife were officially married in thailand in november, we have the marrige papers in thai , she also changed her id card name to my surname , so i have a few questions

Do i need to register this marrige at my local registar office

Do i need english translations of the wedding certificates for settlememt visa

If so will these need to be certifiied , if so where

any other help or advise is very much appreciated ,

Thanks

G'morning, I'm a bit surprised with your question as there is already so much info on here regarding this..anyway..for what it's worth, yes, The marriage will only be recognised under UK law if it is valid under Thai law. For it to be valid in Thai law, the marriage must be registered with the Registrar at an Amphur Office (District Office).

Certified English translations are a very good idea, best to get them here as I hear they can cost much more in England.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-thailand/how-register-marriage/

Congratulations and Good Luck.

You do not need to register the marriage in the UK, you are legally married, you can however give the Embassy a marriage certificate and they can deposit it in the UK at the GRO, costs you money.

I would get your Marriage Certificate translated as you might need it for other important things in the UK for you and your wife. All you do is get it translated into English and then certified at the MFA, the Embassy do not like certifying marriage certificates

G'morning, I'm a bit surprised with your question as there is already so much info on here regarding this..anyway..for what it's worth, yes, The marriage will only be recognised under UK law if it is valid under Thai law. For it to be valid in Thai law, the marriage must be registered with the Registrar at an Amphur Office (District Office).

Certified English translations are a very good idea, best to get them here as I hear they can cost much more in England.

http://ukinthailand....ister-marriage/

Congratulations and Good Luck.

I believe where the OP says local registry Office he means in the UK not Thailand, as he was legally married in Thailand, which was done at an Amphur.

Hi , thanks for your quick and helpful replies , your right beano the thai marrige and registration has all been done and signed, we just dont have certified english translations , so final question is when we get them translated we go to the same place as the translated affirmation of marrige was certifiied , MFA in lak sai , Bangkok

Thanks

Apologies for misunderstanding your first post Raven, Beano knows far more than me on this subject, but I believe any lawyers office in Thailand can provide a certified translation so you shouldn't need to make a special trip just for that (unless you're already in BK of course)

Oh oh..maybe I'm wrong as I just read this further down on my own 'link' although this is only about the affirmation..??

3. Have the affirmation authenticated and translation certified

• All Thai Registrars will require authentication of the British Consular Official’s signature and certification of the Thai translation. This must be obtained from:

The Legalisation Division

Department of Consular Affairs

123 Chaeng Wattana Road,

Laksi District, Bangkok 10210

Edited by rayinkrabi

You can have your marriage certificate translated in any place that does translations the person who translates it will stamp the back with the companies name and contact information an that is all that is required there is no need to go to the MFA if you are in Bangkok you can get it translated for about 300 baht if you would like to know of a place that is not too far from Bang Na then let me know. I used them to translate my sons birth certificate (for his passport) and my Marriage for a settlement visa.

You can have your marriage certificate translated in any place that does translations the person who translates it will stamp the back with the companies name and contact information an that is all that is required there is no need to go to the MFA if you are in Bangkok you can get it translated for about 300 baht if you would like to know of a place that is not too far from Bang Na then let me know. I used them to translate my sons birth certificate (for his passport) and my Marriage for a settlement visa.

Am sure that when the OP gets to the UK, some government offices will be looking for an impressed stamp (official looking) and not a cheap stamp that I could do for 100baht on the marriage translation.

A translation certified by the agency that did the translation is sufficient for all purposes in the UK; including visa and leave to remain applications.

However, the Schengen states do want the translation certified by the MFA, so worth doing in case you should want to holiday in Europe.

This topic had me interested so I dug out my own marriage certificate and translations etc.

The word 'certified' seems to be a point of confusion, as far as the translation goes, surely the translators themselves certify it as correct with their company stamp, signature, etc. (I assume they have to be a registered translator to have this honour) this will be stapled to a photocopy of the original 'Certificate of Marriage' (Khor Ror .3) and don't forget to have your 'Marriage Registration' document (Khor Ror .2) translated also which will also be stapled to a copy of the original. I'm not sure if this will be needed but no harm in having it. None of my translations have any other official stamp on them.

I also came across a small loose page from the Brit Embasy that I hadn't seen before, confusionaly headed 'Forward Thai Marriage to the GRO, UK' (I assume they forgot to type 'ing' after 'forward' and the word 'certificate').

The first line states " note that depositing your marriage certificate is not a legal requirement' it goes on to say that they will never return the original to you but will issue a black & white certified copy if required (for a fee of course). It also states this is 'usually' accepted in the same way as the original..hmm, I'm glad I didn't pay for this service as my pension company insist on seeing the original only.

The page also states ' Applicants are not required to submit a GRO certified marriage certificate with their UK visa application' so imo there is simply no point in using this service, just be sure to keep your marriage certificate in a safe place.

Having said all this, I was married in Aug 2011 so maybe things have changed since then?

Finally, this is part of a good post by VisasPlus last Sept:

Below is an extract from an email, received today, from the UKBA at the British Embassy in Bangkok. It is definitive about the new requirements for the translation of documents accompanying visa applications.

(j) Where a document is not in English or Welsh, the original must be accompanied by a certified translation by a professional translator. This translation must include details of the translator's credentials and confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document. It must also be dated and include the original signature of the translator.