Renting Apartment For One Month - How Much Deposit?

Neole

I'm renting an apartment in jomtien for 1 month for 45k baht. I found the apartment thru an agent on the net and he asked me to pay 22.5k advance to book and the rest on checkin. After I transferred 22.5k he sent the checkin information (a phone number) and that I would need to pay a 45k deposit on checkin apart from the remaining 22.5k.

Is this normal? I've never paid a deposit when renting short term apartments in australia.

Normal in Thailand is 3 month's rent required on move-in: first and last month's rent, + one month damage deposit. I have lived here 17 yrs. and rented six different apartments in that time. I have only been exempted from this requirement once.

Yes this is not unusual. Even for one month rental here they charge a security deposit. You should have checked first of course as there are places here where you can pay by the month with no security deposit if you look around.

id be worried about getting the deposit back. does anyone know whether there are often problems in pattaya over dishonestly refusing to return deposits? also, do the agents here demand a payment from the tenant or just the landlord?

There certainly have been instances of tenants not getting deposits back. And there have been accusations that agents have not only not refunded deposits but also not even paid the property owner the rental money.

But I dont quite see how an agent could "demand" a payment from a tenant without being told where to go.

id be worried about getting the deposit back. does anyone know whether there are often problems in pattaya over dishonestly refusing to return deposits? also, do the agents here demand a payment from the tenant or just the landlord?

There certainly have been instances of tenants not getting deposits back. And there have been accusations that agents have not only not refunded deposits but also not even paid the property owner the rental money.

But I dont quite see how an agent could "demand" a payment from a tenant without being told where to go.

Agents do not pay the owner, usually agent keeps 1 month deposit, in this case half a month and the rest tenant will pay direct to owner.

Chances of getting deposit back would be very slim because owner will have to wait for all the bills to come (that's the excuse they will use) by that time OP is already back in his home country.

I would have advised OP to rent serviced apartment or a hotel considering he/she is happy to pay 45k

Plenty of serviced apartments and hotels for same or half the rate

Edited by lemoncake

I did a 3 month rental. Paid one month rent up front, one month deposit, and the last month's rent in advance. I paid the these to the agent, but the next month was paid directly to the owner. Upon checkout, the owner returned my deposit. The agent didn't have it...and would have had nothing to do with this in case of problems. Luckily, it turned out fine.

Agents do not pay the owner, usually agent keeps 1 month deposit, in this case half a month and the rest tenant will pay direct to owner.

That just isnt so. I know many tenants who pay an agent every month. I personally have never paid anything to the owner of the place I live in. It all goes to the agent and the agent retained all the deposit (I stipulated this in the contract as I would rather the deposit was retained by an agent I have known for several years than by an owner who I have never met).

In my building and with my agent, when people check out they do get all their deposit back in cash minus utility/cleaning costs which are calculated on the spot from the meter readings. Some agents are not so scrupulous though.

That just isnt so. I know many tenants who pay an agent every month. I personally have never paid anything to the owner of the place I live in. It all goes to the agent and the agent retained all the deposit (I stipulated this in the contract as I would rather the deposit was retained by an agent I have known for several years than by an owner who I have never met).

In my building and with my agent, when people check out they do get all their deposit back in cash minus utility/cleaning costs which are calculated on the spot from the meter readings. Some agents are not so scrupulous though.

I would prefer to pay the agent directly if they have been assigned as manager, especially fo they are Western and not local. LIkewaise, I would also prefer a Western landlord. But more important is that whetever you do is according to the contract including that the agent has been assigned by the owner to act as manager and to collect payment on behalf of the owner and they will be responsible for timely repayment of the deposit etc.

Somebody also mentioned serviced apartments, any in particuliar that people recommend?

It depends on your negotiating skills. I have paid one month's rent in advance + two months security deposit. I have also paid Ones month rent in advance and 1,000 baht security deposit.

In any case, never pay more thatn you can afford to lose :)

Good luck!

Not sure what agents you are dealing with, but real estate agents in the past 12 years i have dealt with did nothing but collect the deposit, and never to be seen again.

You might be dealing with developer or condo management agent, but certainly not an independent real estate agent.

They have no contracts with anyone and this is why when they advertise property they rarely have it and usually start to drag you all around town showing you different places.

Not sure what agents you are dealing with, but real estate agents in the past 12 years i have dealt with did nothing but collect the deposit, and never to be seen again.

You might be dealing with developer or condo management agent, but certainly not an independent real estate agent.

They have no contracts with anyone and this is why when they advertise property they rarely have it and usually start to drag you all around town showing you different places.

Please dont tell me what I'm doing.

My agent is entirely independent and is situated in my building. As such she handles a lot of places for sale and rent that are in my building, but also in other nearby and not-so-nearby buildings. She also has places that are miles away, and houses in places I have never even heard of.

She is Thai. I dont think I would ever waste much of my time with farang agents, many of whom seem to know nothing about anything.

Please dont tell me what I'm doing.

My agent is entirely independent and is situated in my building. As such she handles a lot of places for sale and rent that are in my building, but also in other nearby and not-so-nearby buildings. She also has places that are miles away, and houses in places I have never even heard of.

She is Thai. I dont think I would ever waste much of my time with farang agents, many of whom seem to know nothing about anything.

You just said it, your agent is situated in your building, you have NO idea what so ever who and what she is associated with, nor do you have any idea how she operates. You ONLY know the deals and dealings she has with you.

You just said it, your agent is situated in your building, you have NO idea what so ever who and what she is associated with, nor do you have any idea how she operates. You ONLY know the deals and dealings she has with you.

Actually I know quite a lot about her and who she is associated with.

thumbsup.gif