For The Birds !

samuijimmy

Silver-eared Mesia at a watering hole, Mae Wong NP.

Av mode; 1/250sec; ISO2500; F4.5; F/L300mm; off axis flash fired.

15839786179_5b71142c62_c.jpg

These are a real challenge for me and I like the way this looks. I avoid flash like the plague as a rule but there are times you just have to go with it. I see you have the ISO pumped up and quite a fast sync speed (faster than my gear will cope with. Did you dial the flash down or fire on auto? You seem to have kept the illumination limited to the central region (which I very much like as it focuses attention). Did you need to do much editing?

These are a real challenge for me and I like the way this looks. I avoid flash like the plague as a rule but there are times you just have to go with it. I see you have the ISO pumped up and quite a fast sync speed (faster than my gear will cope with. Did you dial the flash down or fire on auto? You seem to have kept the illumination limited to the central region (which I very much like as it focuses attention). Did you need to do much editing?

Can't recall which flash mode I chose as I kept switching between Manual and HSS. This was probably HSS with minus 3-stops in an attempt to provide fill flash only. The waterhole was under deep shade and it would be near impossible to get a shot without motion blur without the flash. The flash head was triggered wirelessly with a pair of Yong Nuo triggers with the head displaced about a meter above and off axis of the camera. This was edited only with ACR. The parameters adjusted were exposure, brightness, contrast, white balance, clarity, saturation and then sharpened. No noise reduction at all.

Can't recall which flash mode I chose as I kept switching between Manual and HSS. This was probably HSS with minus 3-stops in an attempt to provide fill flash only. The waterhole was under deep shade and it would be near impossible to get a shot without motion blur without the flash. The flash head was triggered wirelessly with a pair of Yong Nuo triggers with the head displaced about a meter above and off axis of the camera. This was edited only with ACR. The parameters adjusted were exposure, brightness, contrast, white balance, clarity, saturation and then sharpened. No noise reduction at all.

under those circumstances you did a stirling job. i know to well how hard it is to 'illuminate' a small bird in a dark, dank gully.

• Like 1

Not sure of this rare species - any suggestions?

attachicon.gifbird.JPG

Quite rare that one matey...usually they're all over our car park & grass after

the grass cutters leave. I thought we were the only ones to have em!

I like the Tree Sparrow - a bit neater looking than the House Sparrow.

And just think MH...the Sparrows originated in the UK once upon a time.

I guess you could say they're the UK's largest, in terms of sheer numbers,

export! About the only place I have never seen one was on the Antarctic

continent when there around the turn of the century. Then again I wasn't

looking for sparrows either...just didn't notce any...too cold? Hah!