For The Birds !

samuijimmy

Fab shots of the Indian Roller. Beautiful bird especially when caught in flight like you have.

Mind sharing what gear and settings you used for these shots?

Thanks Jack, I'm using a Canon 650 with a Tamron 150 - 600mm. Settings for flight are around exp. 2000, F6.3, focal length 400 - 600, ISO is set on auto, but is generally around 1250 (which is interesting, because ISO is supposed to jump from 800 to 1600) and 'partial metering'.

I wasn't that happy with the sharpness of the shots, I've tried improving it but think the heat is not help as morning shots and those is partial shade seem sharper. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Not sure of the name of this bird. They are common in our area, not sure about the rest of LOS. Anybody know?

If there are a lot of them around watch out for ones that look similar but have an orange beak, they are Dollarbird's and sometime get mixed in with Indian Roller.

Great shots.

I'd be very happy to get shots like those of your Roller and Dollarbird. That bottom dollarbird shot is very good.

I don't know if all your shots were at the long end @600mm and have no experience with your Tammy zoom

but have read that most zooms perform better if not pushed to its max FL.

I'd be very happy to get shots like those of your Roller and Dollarbird. That bottom dollarbird shot is very good.

I don't know if all your shots were at the long end @600mm and have no experience with your Tammy zoom

but have read that most zooms perform better if not pushed to its max FL.

Thanks. Specs for the bottom shot of the dollarbird are:

Zoom 600

f6.3

Exp 2000

ISO 400

Metering: Center weighted

All the reviews have the Tammy not being the sharpest at either end of the zoom, but it seems OK. I don't see so many dollarbirds, but was lucky that day as there were a heap around.

I see you are using a 7D. Any suggestions for settings?

• Like 1