For The Birds !

samuijimmy

Farther to the bird in post 359.

Had a look in a site I have found helpful before http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=439&Bird_Image_ID=72521&p=6

And they call this bird "Female plaintive cuckoo hepatic morph"

It would seem a normal female is pretty much the same as the male.

Now hepatic is a word I have never come across before so I looked it up.

Seems from what little I can gather that it is something to do with the liver as in hepatitis.

Anyone ever come across this before in any other bird or animal species ?

Farther to the bird in post 359.

Had a look in a site I have found helpful before http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=439&Bird_Image_ID=72521&p=6

And they call this bird "Female plaintive cuckoo hepatic morph"

It would seem a normal female is pretty much the same as the male.

Now hepatic is a word I have never come across before so I looked it up.

Seems from what little I can gather that it is something to do with the liver as in hepatitis.

Anyone ever come across this before in any other bird or animal species ?

As far as I know the term hepatic has nothing to do with liver when used with birds. Seen plenty of hepatic cuckoos; some are almost impossible to identify.

This lovely Uhu...is too far to catch a sharp picture, she or he is in Hua Hin Tree...

That's an Asian Barred Owlet which, as you can tell, likes to stare at you - very small and hard to see but really beautiful.

This lovely Uhu...is too far to catch a sharp picture, she or he is in Hua Hin Tree...

That's an Asian Barred Owlet which, as you can tell, likes to stare at you - very small and hard to see but really beautiful.

But easy to hear, I have them calling right outside the hotel here in Siem Reap. And I think as far as owls go, they are the easiest species to see as they are often active during the day. At Ang Trapang Thmor I see them on almost every visit.

• Like 1

But easy to hear, I have them calling right outside the hotel here in Siem Reap. And I think as far as owls go, they are the easiest species to see as they are often active during the day. At Ang Trapang Thmor I see them on almost every visit.

Kathy2014's bird is actually a Spotted Owlet

I have one here which calls almost every night if it isn't raining but all attempts to sight it has failed. The call is a single 'huuuu' repeated after approx 10sec.

I am thinking Collared Scops but not sure.

I have one here which calls almost every night if it isn't raining but all attempts to sight it has failed. The call is a single 'huuuu' repeated after approx 10sec.

I am thinking Collared Scops but not sure.

Sounds exactly like Collared.

• Like 1

While on owls :

This one is a barred owlet, the only halfway decent photo I have been able to get so far

This bird was preening with its back to me and did not turn its head, after about 5 min I got impatient and gave a whistle, it had a look then carried on with its toilet, I was obviously of no interest..

post-12069-0-50688000-1382585736_thumb.j

Seen several but they are mostly either to far away or in very dim places or both, making it difficult to get a photo.

Best alarm clock in the world.

Used to be that a magpie robin was the first bird song outside my window every morning but now this little Fella has taken over.

Common Tailorbird in its perch among the wires.

post-12069-0-48140000-1382760388_thumb.j

And there are some who think that the only things that go cheep, cheep, cheep in this country are the girls along Pattaya beach, oh hang on that's spelt different

• Like 2

Thanks for that Goshawk.

Missed that while hunting through the books.

More winter visitors turning up all the time now like this little one yesterday.

post-12069-0-47906300-1382878762_thumb.j

Incidentally its straight off the camera with no PP except signature, been following your other topic.

• Like 2

Thanks Goshawk! I was a bit counting that you would be able to name it :)

I tried to look for hawk pictures in Phuket as it's quite slim, but the slightly round head was confusing. Bird name Hawk Owl makes a lot of sense.

The brown hawk owl wanted to pose and moved itself to a better location so I had to serve it's needs.

Can I call my self from now on - Animal fashion photographer? :)

With red eye reduction

2013-10-29_22-58-01.jpg

Suited with halloween costume

2013-10-29_22-58-25.jpg