1 Year M/c Licence.... Report

pattayadingo

I went yesterday afternoon to see about getti8ng my m/c licence. Turned up at 12-45 and was told to come back this morning at 08-00 to get a low number. That's a laugh as nothing except collecting the licence was done by numbers, so yesterdays trip was a wasted one.

We all sat through the 2 videos and then had to watch the first one again apparently only to pass some more time away. The first video is like a Thai soap opera basically trying to educate us about road manners and the evils of speed, dropping cigarette butts and spitting - no comment on that rolleyes.gif

The second was more informative with regards to laws and the highway code.

Yet both videos were car orientated even down to checking your ignition lights for oil etc. Hardly a mention about motorbikes at all.

We were segregated from the Thai people and our videos were either dubbed or in spoken English.

Three hours later we were given a book on the highway code to read. That was a bit more like it.

Next we went to sit the theory test and were sitting around for some time before they decided we should all go outside to be ready for the actual riding test itself - forty minutes away. I went off for some food and a Sprite instead of sitting in the heat. I'd been there four hours and in need of sustenance biggrin.png

I paid 100 Baht to hire a m/c for the test and headed back for the riding test itself. That test was over in minutes for all of us. We rode around a short track, weaved in and out of some cones, stopped twice at stop signs and that was it. Do not forget your helmet !!

Back inside we sat the theory test. I have to say that is an improvement on the last theory test I took two years ago. Very few of those illogical questions in this test. I passed smile.png

155 Baht with a number to queue for the licence - the only time a number was used for queues and order.

All in all arrived at 0800 and was there for 6 hours in total. I did not see any who failed the theory test. Things seemed a bit chaotic with very little information from the staff with regards to what would happen next.

Now the BiB can have as many roadblocks as they like and I can flash them my new licence and not be asked for 400 Baht fine tongue.png

Docs required were passport, 2 passport photos, 1 copy of passport, 1 copy of visa, 1 medical certificate 9acquired from Soi Buakhoa clinic 100 Baht), 1 certificate of residence (from Jomtien). 155 Baht for licence.

That's it for another year and a day smile.png

edit to add about needing your helmet for the riding test.

Edited by pattayadingo

Thanks for that, I am needing to do the same. I never had a bike until I came here and while not yet confident on it, need to have the right paperwork. The riding test is a bit of a concern for me as I said a novice on bikes but do ride mine locally.

The motorbike test is very easy.

Thru a short serpentine, across a narrow bridge & 2 stop signs.

I don't even think the instructor watched me.

There was one slightly challenging task, riding about 10 meters across the narrow bridge.

There are some videos on youtube that show the test.

The multiple choice test (computerized) is also easy.

There are a few poorly written questions that all you can do is guess.

Don't bother going at 8am as every one and his mother gets there early and the chaos and lack of queueing just makes for hassle and long waits. I went in at 11am was sent straight up to do the tests (no queues). That was all finished by 11.45am. There is a one hour break for lunch and the bike test is done at 1pm. As the poster said this takes a minute then you get your number and wait for the licence. I was out of there by 1.30pm.

• Like 1

why are you doing the test again, if you had it 2 years ago?

I mean that is just crazy

This was a m/c test. Last theory test was for my car licence - I should maybe have made that clear smile.png

Edited by pattayadingo

The motorbike test is very easy.

Thru a short serpentine, across a narrow bridge & 2 stop signs.

I don't even think the instructor watched me.

There was one slightly challenging task, riding about 10 meters across the narrow bridge.

There are some videos on youtube that show the test.

The multiple choice test (computerized) is also easy.

There are a few poorly written questions that all you can do is guess.

I was expecting the narrow bridge part of the test but they did not have that.......

Start, right hand bend, over the brow of a small rise, right hand bend, weave in and out of 4 cones, right hand bend, stop at the solid white line, stop at the second solid white line and finish.

Really, that was it.

Thanks for that, I am needing to do the same. I never had a bike until I came here and while not yet confident on it, need to have the right paperwork. The riding test is a bit of a concern for me as I said a novice on bikes but do ride mine locally.

See my answer to DiNiro. Really, it was that easy.

The bridge, is actually just a narrow plank, that you need to stay on. Some didnt realize that you needed to stay on it, so had to do it again. In my group, no one was given a hand book to read, so maybe that is an improvement, or maybe every day is different. The written test was easy, but on the same day, I took the test for my car license too, and I missed 7 questions, but passed, so it just depends on what questions pop up, and yes, some you just need to guess at.

OP you say you needed 2 passport photos - if at Pattaya they normally take their own pictures so when I renewed car and bike mid last year I did not need any.

Also is there no eye/colour tests for MC?

The bridge, is actually just a narrow plank, that you need to stay on. Some didnt realize that you needed to stay on it, so had to do it again. In my group, no one was given a hand book to read, so maybe that is an improvement, or maybe every day is different. The written test was easy, but on the same day, I took the test for my car license too, and I missed 7 questions, but passed, so it just depends on what questions pop up, and yes, some you just need to guess at.

No bridge at all yesterday and i was surprised because I was expecting one from previous reports.

Some questions were repeated and some had no logical answer, so yes, guesswork needed on those.

OP you say you needed 2 passport photos - if at Pattaya they normally take their own pictures so when I renewed car and bike mid last year I did not need any.

Also is there no eye/colour tests for MC?

The passport photos seem to be for the paperwork. for the licence itself, yes they do take a photo for that.

Oops! Bad omission re the brake test, colour test and parallel bars test - where you have to line the two bars side by side using a remote control.

Now the BiB can have as many roadblocks as they like and I can flash them my new licence and not be asked for 400 Baht fine

Another unexpected bonus is the look of pure envy you get from other foreigners who have also been pulled over, they are obviously waiting for someone to fetch them some identification or tea money or similiar after being stopped, and then you are pulled over, flash the licence, show the tax disc, give 'em your best smile, wink at the other poor buggers and go merrily on your way, it's a great feeling being legal.

• Like 1

If one has an International Driving license (and a Canadian drivers license) for both motorcycle and car, is it the same process? Does one have to do all of the tests?

No you don’t have to do any tests, except for the eye and reaction tests.

Just bring all the docs listed in the OP in duplicates, one copy for each license. Also make copies of your IDP and Canadian license.

Then exchange all this paperwork for two Thai licenses, one for bike and one for car.

I wanted a car and motorbike driving permit. Unfortunately, I only had one original proof of residence certificate... a copy no good.... so I only qualified for one license that day.

Must go back and do it again.

Got my two 5-year licences end of October 2012 at Banglamung/Pattaya. When I went to immigration for the residence certificate, they asked if I was getting both. Yes, so they said I needed two original residence certificates and indeed the DLT wanted 2 originals.

The lesson is: take 2 originals.

Just got a car license today. Took about an hour. Took passport and copy of every page. Work permit and copy of every page. UK driving license.

Did the eye tests only. Seemed to be hard to fail. The one where you have to stamp on the brake a woman kept failing because she had huge platform shoes on, but they just let her keep trying until she did it. Bit of a worry as I bet she drove to the center.

205 Baht total. Good for one year. Apparantly my next one will be a 5 year license.

Very easy and efficient, but honestly, its so lax that I can't see it keeping anyone off the road unless they're totally blind (and deaf so no one can shout at them when to stomp on the brake switch)

If one has an International Driving license (and a Canadian drivers license) for both motorcycle and car, is it the same process? Does one have to do all of the tests?

No you don’t have to do any tests, except for the eye and reaction tests.

Just bring all the docs listed in the OP in duplicates, one copy for each license. Also make copies of your IDP and Canadian license.

Then exchange all this paperwork for two Thai licenses, one for bike and one for car.

Yes - I have a UK bike and car licence and I just did the colour blind/eyesight test and the reaction test. The reaction test is funny - everyone in the very crowded room stops what they are doing to see how the falang does on the test .... the extra pressure helps to speed up your reactions!

I know its been posted a million times but can you give direction to the testing center please....

Head out of Pattaya along Sukhumvit road in the direction of Rayong. After you turn under the flyover keep to the left. Look for Regents school on your right side ( several kms on from the flyover). U turn at regents school itself, head back towards Pattaya for about 250 metres and turn left. Follow the road round and there you are :)

Head out of Pattaya along Sukhumvit road in the direction of Rayong. After you turn under the flyover keep to the left. Look for Regents school on your right side ( several kms on from the flyover). U turn at regents school itself, head back towards Pattaya for about 250 metres and turn left. Follow the road round and there you are smile.png

So left after Regents (same side) on the 36.

Nice one cheers mate!

Just got a car license today. Took about an hour. Took passport and copy of every page. Work permit and copy of every page. UK driving license.

Did the eye tests only. Seemed to be hard to fail. The one where you have to stamp on the brake a woman kept failing because she had huge platform shoes on, but they just let her keep trying until she did it. Bit of a worry as I bet she drove to the center.

205 Baht total. Good for one year. Apparantly my next one will be a 5 year license.

Very easy and efficient, but honestly, its so lax that I can't see it keeping anyone off the road unless they're totally blind (and deaf so no one can shout at them when to stomp on the brake switch)

If you have a Work Permit, do you still need to obtain a certificate of residence from immigration?

If you have a Work Permit, do you still need to obtain a certificate of residence from immigration?

Work permit will do the job, no need for a residence letter from immigration.

Work permit will do the job, no need for a residence letter from immigration.

Correct. Didn't need it. Only the documents I mentioned